The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Post by scumdevils86 »

azcat49 wrote:13,161 announced attendance. Just don’t get why the students wait until the second semester to get engaged
That was announced, it was probably more like 11,000
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

No
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RaisingArizona wrote:Kicking the crap out of Gonzaga is irrationally important to me. I assume that I’m not the only one.

Baylor as well but for much different reasons.
We'll be favored in both these games, but I'm not sure we'll kick the crap out of either of them. I'll be happy with two Ws.

I have to say, though: it's looking more and more like we'll have some chances at building our tourney resume during Pac play, which hasn't happened often lately. Beating Oregon, UW or Colorado is a quality win this year. UCLA is quietly off to a nice start as well. Anyone think Cal can give Duke a game this week?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I doubt we will be favored against Gonzaga.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Feels like we are the basketball version of Ohio St in football. Literally no one has been as impressive as we have that I have seen. Of course with college football still going on you don’t hear a thing about us except from us fans.

That Zag game could be a pick-em and should be a great game. It is already sold out and tickets on stub hub are at a huge premium
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I doubt we will be favored against Gonzaga.
Gonzaga has to play UW in Seattle about a week before our game with them. That should give us a sense of what the line should be.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Can we hire Lute as our AD and him be in charge of scheduling? This SEC football scheduling is getting old, especially when we have such a fun team like we do this year.

For reference for those who do not recall, Lutes last year we had the following OOC games.
@ Virginia
NM St
UNLV
Illinois (neutral)
Lousiville (neutral)
@ SD St.
Houston
Memphis
UNC
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:Can we hire Lute as our AD and him be in charge of scheduling? This SEC football scheduling is getting old, especially when we have such a fun team like we do this year.

For reference for those who do not recall, Lutes last year we had the following OOC games.
@ Virginia
NM St
UNLV
Illinois (neutral)
Lousiville (neutral)
@ SD St.
Houston
Memphis
UNC
Only thing bad about our current schedule is the weak tournament we're in, which we wouldn't have signed up for if we knew it would have this weak of a lineup. The Houston games always occurred during an ASU week, so you could argue we should bring that back, but it's harder to schedule during conference season now than it was then for numerous reasons.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

I expect us to be somewhere around #15 in the latest poll. Looking forward to seeing how we do with legit teams like Baylor and Gonzaga.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Longhorned wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
azcat49 wrote:13,161 announced attendance. Just don’t get why the students wait until the second semester to get engaged
I'll tell you why. They have absolutely no awareness of anything. For example, if you were to suggest to them what an awesome idea it was to go to a game, it would be the first time they've heard of it. Then, they'd have no idea how to go about getting tickets. You'd have to sit down with them and walk them through every step. Then at game time, you'd have to show up at their dorm, remind them, and take them there. And if, by chance, on the way to McKale, you were to ask them who will win the PAC-12 this year, it would be the first time they've ever heard of the PAC-12.

I'm not joking. There are a relatively few juniors and seniors who are on board.

They don't even know that impeachment hearings are going on, or what impeachment is.

They enjoy sitting in their dorm and playing video games.
Damn millennials. I kid, I kid, now get off my lawn
It's true, though. You used to listen to albums and discover songs. Your window to the world was today's Daily Wildcat. You had a T.V. in your dorm (maybe even your dorm room), and it got local channels that talked about Arizona Wildcat football and basketball.

All that's gone. Students have no idea where they are.

So we're looking for volunteers. Your help is needed.
If it is only 13,161 that is on Tucson as well, not just the students
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

#11 in KenPom, Gonzaga #6 & Baylor #18
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Baylor is going to be fascinating as it will be a great litmus test to see if dynamic point guard play (along with Zeke’s offensive virtuosity) allows us to shake off our typical struggles with zone defense.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RaisingArizona wrote:Baylor is going to be fascinating as it will be a great litmus test to see if dynamic point guard play (along with Zeke’s offensive virtuosity) allows us to shake off our typical struggles with zone defense.
That game is at 10:00 am Arizona time, yikes.

I don't remember us doing well under Miller in super early games like that, but maybe this team is different.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

looks like Arizona is up to #14 in the AP poll
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Just got my tickets for the Baylor game. Anyone else going?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:Baylor is going to be fascinating as it will be a great litmus test to see if dynamic point guard play (along with Zeke’s offensive virtuosity) allows us to shake off our typical struggles with zone defense.
That game is at 10:00 am Arizona time, yikes.

I don't remember us doing well under Miller in super early games like that, but maybe this team is different.
We did well vs aTm in 16-17, and that was a morning start.

I'm interested to see how we do vs zone as well. Baylor is a good team, and this will be a great test.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think the win at UConn last year was an early start, too.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

threenumberones wrote:Just got my tickets for the Baylor game. Anyone else going?
My son and I will be there.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

azcat49 wrote:Feels like we are the basketball version of Ohio St in football. Literally no one has been as impressive as we have that I have seen. Of course with college football still going on you don’t hear a thing about us except from us fans.

That Zag game could be a pick-em and should be a great game. It is already sold out and tickets on stub hub are at a huge premium
Zags look really good this year (with the similar caveat to us that they haven't played a marquee game). Louisville as well. Ohio State as well.

The Gonzaga v Arizona game looks like it'll be one of the year's best.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:Can we hire Lute as our AD and him be in charge of scheduling? This SEC football scheduling is getting old, especially when we have such a fun team like we do this year.

@ Virginia
NM St
UNLV
Illinois (neutral)
Lousiville (neutral)
@ SD St.
Houston
Memphis
UNC
Only thing bad about our current schedule is the weak tournament we're in, which we wouldn't have signed up for if we knew it would have this weak of a lineup. The Houston games always occurred during an ASU week, so you could argue we should bring that back, but it's harder to schedule during conference season now than it was then for numerous reasons.
Agree to disagree. I see a huge problem with the scheduling outside of whatever preseason tournament we are in that year. KenPom has schedule rankings dating back to the 2001-2002 season. During Lute's time we never once had a schedule that was not in the top 80 in division I. In Sean Millers tenure we have had only one schedule ranked in the top 80 and that was his first year which I am sure was already set before he took over. I personally miss the days when we would play anyone anywhere any time as opposed to the we will play two decent teams and play in a preseason tournament each year. I would also argue the lack of competition our players are facing hurts us come March but that is harder to prove.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

@ Virginia
NM St
UNLV
Illinois (neutral)
Lousiville (neutral)
@ SD St.
Houston
Memphis
UNC
Agree to disagree. I see a huge problem with the scheduling outside of whatever preseason tournament we are in that year. KenPom has schedule rankings dating back to the 2001-2002 season. During Lute's time we never once had a schedule that was not in the top 80 in division I. In Sean Millers tenure we have had only one schedule ranked in the top 80 and that was his first year which I am sure was already set before he took over. I personally miss the days when we would play anyone anywhere any time as opposed to the we will play two decent teams and play in a preseason tournament each year. I would also argue the lack of competition our players are facing hurts us come March but that is harder to prove.
Kenpom rankings of our OOC opponents:

NAU - 306 BAD
Illinois - 47 GOOD
San Jose State - 324 BAD
NMSU - 86 GOOD
South Dakota St - 213 MEH
Long Beach State - 287 BLEH
Pepperdine - 110 DECENT
UCF (likely matchup) - 114 DECENT
Providence (another likely matchup) 30 - GOOD
Baylor 18 - VERY GOOD
Omaha - 171 MEH
Gonzaga - 6 VERY GOOD
St. John's - 93 GOOD-DECENT

Ultimately this is a good schedule that is let down by the mediocre OOC tourney we're playing in. There's only 3 awful matchups for us and one of them was force fed onto us by the damn OOC tourney we're in (Long Beach).
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

the conference desperately needs a conference vs conference challenge like every other league

that's a super easy way to get at least one quality opponent home or away every year,

some of this year's matchups from these conference challenge include..

Michigan St v Duke
Ohio St v North Carolina
Kansas vs Kentucky
Ohio St vs Villanova
Michigan St vs Seton Hall

those are just some of the headline games, but there's also other decent matchups of quadrant 1-2 quality (all these games btw are on campus games not a neutral court)

that's the only way we'll ever get Kansas, Kentucky, Villanova, Virginia etc, on campus
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Kenpom rankings of our OOC opponents:

NAU - 306 BAD
Illinois - 47 GOOD
San Jose State - 324 BAD
NMSU - 86 GOOD
South Dakota St - 213 MEH
Long Beach State - 287 BLEH
Pepperdine - 110 DECENT
UCF (likely matchup) - 114 DECENT
Providence (another likely matchup) 30 - GOOD
Baylor 18 - VERY GOOD
Omaha - 171 MEH
Gonzaga - 6 VERY GOOD
St. John's - 93 GOOD-DECENT

Ultimately this is a good schedule that is let down by the mediocre OOC tourney we're playing in. There's only 3 awful matchups for us and one of them was force fed onto us by the damn OOC tourney we're in (Long Beach).
I think NMSU and Providence will be trending up by March. I'm not impressed by Baylor yet. And Gonzaga is our OOC Super Bowl.

Regardless of what happens with our remaining OOC schedule, we'll also have many chances to get quality wins *in* conference this year.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

If we win our games this OOC will be just dandy. Wins over Gonzaga, Baylor, Providence, and Illinois will be plenty to validate our OOC resume, and a lifted Pac-12 provides a ton of opportunity for quality wins in that end of the season. We've been rewarded with a 1 or 2 seed multiple times under Miller with a similar profile.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:If we win our games this OOC will be just dandy. Wins over Gonzaga, Baylor, Providence, and Illinois will be plenty to validate our OOC resume, and a lifted Pac-12 provides a ton of opportunity for quality wins in that end of the season. We've been rewarded with a 1 or 2 seed multiple times under Miller with a similar profile.
The Pac champ this year has a great shot at a 1 or 2 seed. I say that expecting the champ will be AZ, Oregon or UW.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:If we win our games this OOC will be just dandy. Wins over Gonzaga, Baylor, Providence, and Illinois will be plenty to validate our OOC resume, and a lifted Pac-12 provides a ton of opportunity for quality wins in that end of the season. We've been rewarded with a 1 or 2 seed multiple times under Miller with a similar profile.
The Pac champ this year has a great shot at a 1 or 2 seed. I say that expecting the champ will be AZ, Oregon or UW.
Way to go out on a limb
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Way to go out on a limb
Oregon and Arizona have a shot at a 1 seed right now. The rest of the conference won't have the OOC resume for that top line.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

W - SDSU
W - LBSU
W - Pepperdine
W - UCF
W - Providence
L – @ Baylor
W – Omaha
W – Gonzaga
W – St. Johns
W – ASU
L - @ Oregon
W - @ OSU
W – Utah
W – Colorado
W - @ ASU
W - @ UW
W - @ WSU
W – USC
W – UCLA
W - @ CAL
W - @ Stanford
W – OSU
W – Oregon
L - @ USC
W - @ UCLA
W – WSU
W – UW

31-3

Don't see a lot of trap games. Maybe OSU in February looking ahead (usually one stinker every year) or UW as a let down game at the end of the year. I feel like this is the year we get back to holding home court. Feels like we have a collective group that will understand what it means to win @ home.

Certainly seeing through wildcat colored glasses... just so pumped up from what we have seen so far.
prh

Post by prh »

After what I've seen from everyone on our schedule aside from Gonzaga, I'll take the 40-0 we were eyeing in 2014
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Dick Vitale also gives Arizona it's second best rank (9) in the ap poll
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Dick Vitale also gives Arizona it's second best rank (9) in the ap poll
I love the responses to the Jay Bilas tweet.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Catintheheat wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:Dick Vitale also gives Arizona it's second best rank (9) in the ap poll
I love the responses to the Jay Bilas tweet.
Needed that laugh, that was great.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
prh

Post by prh »

Fuck both those guys
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

One of my biggest takeaways through 4 games is defensive energy. This squad, all 11, seems to want to play defense and are putting in the effort on that end of the court. This team should not have issues getting buckets. Offensively, this team can play big and small. Looking forward to increased competition to see if this team can board and get big stops when it needs to.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Just wanted to remind everyone that our general consensus around here was that with the influx of all these new players here this year, we would be a far superior team come January than we would be at the start of the year.

Basically.... the team we are seeing right now is dogshit compared to how we will be come the start of 2020.

Enjoy.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Three Man Weave spoke glowingly about Arizona on their most recent podcast (legit CBB podcast if you don’t know it).

Heading into the season they were cautious. They weren’t sure what the class would provide to move beyond last season but are very impressed with each recruit - all three exceeding expectations. National championship contenders, legit title contenders. Nice to hear that from three outside experts. Validating.

I’m impatient with the polls (do people even watch these games?) but that’s how it is in the wide CBB landscape - blue bloods and recent winners get attention. In two weeks of wins we ought to be ranked in the top ten.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

fitness - that’s what it’s about this year.

i think Baker is a nice addition in that regard, even more-so as he gets 100% healthy - Lee & Jeter up front too. overlooked.

Arizona very well may be 9-0 heading into a road opportunity at Baylor. if they win that game it sets up a potential top 10 matchup with Gonzaga at Mckale in what could be a game with #1 Seed West Region implications.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Volkswagen flipping stiffies are nice but I've got a diamond cutter.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

YoDeFoe wrote:Three Man Weave spoke glowingly about Arizona on their most recent podcast (legit CBB podcast if you don’t know it).

Heading into the season they were cautious. They weren’t sure what the class would provide to move beyond last season but are very impressed with each recruit - all three exceeding expectations. National championship contenders, legit title contenders. Nice to hear that from three outside experts. Validating.

I’m impatient with the polls (do people even watch these games?) but that’s how it is in the wide CBB landscape - blue bloods and recent winners get attention. In two weeks of wins we ought to be ranked in the top ten.
Just started listening to it, they have a lot of good conference breakdowns in their old episodes.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

There’s a ton of empty seats at the North Carolina game right now. Seems like the nationwide football attendance issues are bleeding over to basketball too.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

south dakota state game thread is up
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Bloody hell, my brother in law is getting married on dec 7. Hopefully it's after 2.
-Norlander.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Baker > Doutrive and Smith
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

someone's gonna have to explain to me how baker doesn't get more playing time than smith (or doutrive for that matter).
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Baker > Doutrive and Smith
It has been obvious the last 3 games.

No way should Smith be getting more minutes than Baker
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Doutrive has been ridiculously disappointing based on how dominant he was in practice.

Baker and Hazzard both need more run.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Smith deserves more minutes because he merits them, if you understand anything about quantum basketball, which I don’t.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Doutrive has been ridiculously disappointing based on how dominant he was in practice.

Baker and Hazzard both need more run.
Doutrive needs to be on ball more to get in the flow of his own game. Baker and Hazz continue to show they deserve their minutes and more, though.

Let's start here: pull back on Smith's minutes.

The obvious move based on performance then is to start Baker over Smith... but I think instead you move DD to the starting line (he plays at that pace and he needs the vote of confidence) and let Baker play sixth man and with the second team (he plays very well with Hazz and Gettings). Even if Baker plays more minutes and finishes games, I think you get the highest total out of the two of them with that arrangement.

But seriously sit Smith. He's shown he can't be trusted to play his role on offense and there's no reason to be patient about it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You’re all anti-Smith just because you yell every time he start dribbling, and then keeps dribbling, and then kind of wobbles and turns the ball over.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Seriously I know Jack shit about bb roster formation but it’s clear as day smith needs to sit.