CSUN impressions

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

CSUN impressions

Post by gumby »

Ok, I'm all out of impressions, so I'll be Gumby, dammit!

So little chatter here. Will this cease to be a forum of discussion? The melodrama threads are seeing more action.

Didn't see the first five minutes. Looks like it was another nervous start. Odd trait for what should be a confident team. Highlights for me were Parker and Pitts, because what Rondae did is to be expected. CSUN's version was pretty good, too. "Rock solid" Parker is intriguing. Guess this means Hazzard won't be getting key minutes. :D

The fact that he and Pitts can hit open shots calms me immensely.

Ashley didn't calm me when he crumpled to the ground. Knock that off! Anyway, he looks to be back in groove. Love his game right now. Still gets called for phantom fouls.

Good to see better shooting from distance. But the free throws are irritating.

CSUN has some athletes, but our structure and discipline prevailed. This also calms me when we go through rough patches.

Stanley Johnson needs to trust the system and his teammates. Microscope is ridiculous on freshmen, but that's the new era. Do as coach says and all will be fine. See Parker and Pitts for results.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Re: CSUN impressions

Post by Longhorned »

As of CSUN, I don't see York separating himself from Pitts.

How many times do your small children admonish you for scaring the family pet with an "Oh, Pitts! Pull yourself together!" exclamation? I thought not. He defends well, always seems to be in the right place, and doesn't turn the ball over. If given enough consistent minutes, one of these games he's going to ignite behind the arc.

When facing a really good and quick 2-guard, Rondae will be unleashed on him in any case. And that could give a couple of more minutes for Pitts at the 3.

I just don't see the rotation tightening with York taking most of Pitts' minutes. We're going to have a rotation of 8, or possibly 9 with some back-up minutes for Ristic.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Major improvement from SJ in working the ball around.

TJ has a very ugly shot. Especially compared to PJC's.

2 FT attempted total from our starting 1 and 2? What happened to jumping into the defender while shooting?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

So far I have heard York is the best shooter...then TJ....but I see Pitts. Love his stroke from the arc. Plus, he is not a liability on the floor whether it be offensively or defensively.

I lost count on how many lousy and lazy entry passes were thrown inside to Zeus. I am sure there were others, but York seemed to be the one I noticed.

I do think York can be a real positive for this team with his experience, and his shot. However, I don't think he is where I thought he would be.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Maybe we're just seeing the limitations of a recruit ratings system biased towards offensive strengths and athleticism of the high school basketball player. Doubt anybody ever coached York to lead the post.

Pitts needs to show that stroke against Irvine before I start getting excited. He and York are still too much like opposing sides of the same coin--two four-star athletes who need to be combined to give 10 solid minutes. York knows how to get to the line, and the big three in the big game is still York's, not Pitts', to take--for now.

First 30 minutes were Stanley Johnson's best of the season. Then he went playground.

I don't know what it takes for an Arizona basketball team to go aggressive from the opening tap, if SJ can't instill that in his teammates. Really does seem like the Pac-12 refs got Zeus away from playing his game around late January of last season, and he hasn't had that catch-and-dunk fire since.

TJ (last night the exception) shies away from shooting when he has the open look early.

York won't drive until he tests his range about four to five times.

Rondae will practice his jumper to death but doesn't open games with confidence in it yet.

We've got Ristic. We've got Victor. We've got PJC, Pitts and York. (Notice I did NOT include Hazzard in that group, gumby. )

We have fouls to give. The time is now for our guys to start playing 40 minutes of smart, aggressive, full-court ball.

Get PJC more involved, and give Ashley a touch every time down the floor. The hell with the Pac-12 refs and their agendas--Arizona's going to play its game.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

catgrad97 wrote:Maybe we're just seeing the limitations of a recruit ratings system biased towards offensive strengths and athleticism of the high school basketball player. Doubt anybody ever coached York to lead the post.

Pitts needs to show that stroke against Irvine before I start getting excited. He and York are still too much like opposing sides of the same coin--two four-star athletes who need to be combined to give 10 solid minutes. York knows how to get to the line, and the big three in the big game is still York's, not Pitts', to take--for now.

First 30 minutes were Stanley Johnson's best of the season. Then he went playground.

I don't know what it takes for an Arizona basketball team to go aggressive from the opening tap, if SJ can't instill that in his teammates. Really does seem like the Pac-12 refs got Zeus away from playing his game around late January of last season, and he hasn't had that catch-and-dunk fire since.

TJ (last night the exception) shies away from shooting when he has the open look early.

York won't drive until he tests his range about four to five times.

Rondae will practice his jumper to death but doesn't open games with confidence in it yet.

We've got Ristic. We've got Victor. We've got PJC, Pitts and York. (Notice I did NOT include Hazzard in that group, gumby. )

We have fouls to give. The time is now for our guys to start playing 40 minutes of smart, aggressive, full-court ball.

Get PJC more involved, and give Ashley a touch every time down the floor. The hell with the Pac-12 refs and their agendas--Arizona's going to play its game.
Great post G. Define playground, Did SJ channel a bit of Josiah Turner in those 10 minutes?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

CalStateTempe wrote: Define playground, Did SJ channel a bit of Josiah Turner in those 10 minutes?
↑↑↑ wtf? ↑↑↑
gumby

Post by gumby »

Drama. For drama's sake. Sad.

Odogg, good point on the entry passes. Some really weak ones. I do like the screen we're running down there to free up bigs.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

gumby wrote:
Odogg, good point on the entry passes. Some really weak ones. I do like the screen we're running down there to free up bigs.
screen away on the opposite block on the ball reversal?

its the shooting guards responsibility to set the down screen on that play and when Johnson is the guy its hilarious to watch the other BIG get stopped dead in his tracks.
gumby

Post by gumby »

97cats wrote:
gumby wrote:
screen away on the opposite block on the ball reversal?

its the shooting guards responsibility to set the down screen on that play and when Johnson is the guy its hilarious to watch the other BIG get stopped dead in his tracks.
Yep. Ashley was the beneficiary last game. Tarc got a hoop with this last night.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

#FreePJC
gumby

Post by gumby »

Miller's been freer than I expected with PJC. Pleasant surprise.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ya he gave him a love tap on the butt when he hit that first three

Was cool watching Theus on the sidelines, had no idea he was the coach before the game started. He and Miller talked for a quite a bit before intro's
UofACat23

Post by UofACat23 »

Impressions:

I still wish we'd play SJ and RHJ two together more. I'd like to see an extended stretch of TJ, SJ, RHJ, BA, and KT, I don't recall seeing much of that lineup yet.

It was great to see Ashley can still hit that long range shot, him hitting that opens up the entire offense and makes us almost impossible to guard. It opens up space for Tarc to post up, for Stanley and RHJ to drive in, and for the guards to drive and dish.

Glad to see Stanly hit some open shots, put some of my worries at ease.

York is one of the most frustrating players that I can remember. He has a beautiful shot, but then he air balls it. He gets a steal, and then the next play he leaves his guy open for a lay-up. He'll make an amazing pass, and then he'll force one and turn it over. He shows glimpses of being exactly what the team needs, but he's never been able to put it together consistently.

Fortunately, both Pitts and PJC appear to be more than capable shooters and should be able to keep defenses honest when York isn't hitting. I'm pretty impressed with both of them so far and I figure at least one of the 3 should be hitting on any given night.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Pitts and York had similar numbers yesterday, only Pitts got them in fewer minutes and zero turnovers, compared to York's 4.

The better Pitts gets, and the more flashes PCJ shows, the harder it's gonna be to keep York on the floor when he's getting beaten on D and turning the ball over.
NETSFAN4HASSAN

Post by NETSFAN4HASSAN »

UofACat23 wrote: York is one of the most frustrating players that I can remember. He has a beautiful shot, but then he air balls it. He gets a steal, and then the next play he leaves his guy open for a lay-up. He'll make an amazing pass, and then he'll force one and turn it over. He shows glimpses of being exactly what the team needs, but he's never been able to put it together consistently.

:shock:

Thought the same thing last night.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

UofACat23 wrote:Impressions:

I still wish we'd play SJ and RHJ two together more. I'd like to see an extended stretch of TJ, SJ, RHJ, BA, and KT, I don't recall seeing much of that lineup yet. its coming

It was great to see Ashley can still hit that long range shot, him hitting that opens up the entire offense and makes us almost impossible to guard. It opens up space for Tarc to post up, for Stanley and RHJ to drive in, and for the guards to drive and dish. Ashley looks so sure of himself out there -- so happy for him

Glad to see Stanly hit some open shots, put some of my worries at ease. 7-10 wroks for me

York is one of the most frustrating players that I can remember. He has a beautiful shot, but then he air balls it. He gets a steal, and then the next play he leaves his guy open for a lay-up. He'll make an amazing pass, and then he'll force one and turn it over. He shows glimpses of being exactly what the team needs, but he's never been able to put it together consistently. York is best suited as a reserve guard who is catch and shoot competent and can be a big additive to a top level team off the bench, not as a starter.

Fortunately, both Pitts and PJC appear to be more than capable shooters and should be able to keep defenses honest when York isn't hitting. I'm pretty impressed with both of them so far and I figure at least one of the 3 should be hitting on any given night.Pitts is gonna play more -- PJC the same
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:Ok, I'm all out of impressions, so I'll be Gumby, dammit!
I'm sorry, I don't do impressions. My training is in psychiatry.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Clearly, I need to watch the game before weighing in.

Just wanted to know what CG97 meant by "going playground".

Next steps...get baby to sleep and crack a beer.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I still don't know, and I watched it.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

UofACat23 wrote:York is one of the most frustrating players that I can remember. He has a beautiful shot, but then he air balls it. He gets a steal, and then the next play he leaves his guy open for a lay-up. He'll make an amazing pass, and then he'll force one and turn it over. He shows glimpses of being exactly what the team needs, but he's never been able to put it together consistently.
Pure speculation on my part, but if Pitts and others can keep hitting a few threes a game I think that might help Gabe's game. He won't be under so much pressure to be the main three point threat. And if we keep getting good bench minutes maybe he can let the game come to him to help with his overall consistency.

The team as a whole probably felt a huge weight on their shoulders when Bash went down last year. Once they all get used to playing with each other I bet they'll all be much more loose on the court this year.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
gumby wrote:Ok, I'm all out of impressions, so I'll be Gumby, dammit!
I'm sorry, I don't do impressions. My training is in psychiatry.
Of course. Howie survived...was a miracle.

The last stretch SJ was out there he got too cute with the ball. One-on-one mad dashes to each end of the court, passes not even Aaron Gordon could have completed, poor shot selection. Playground.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Watching the game now. Zeus still played defense thankfully. York didn't unfortunately.

Haven't noticed the brand new offense that was mentioned in a different thread. I'll look harder.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:Watching the game now. Zeus still played defense thankfully. York didn't unfortunately.

Haven't noticed the brand new offense that was mentioned in a different thread. I'll look harder.
What do you think of PItts?
cats101

Post by cats101 »

The entry passes from York were terrible..."not a PG"

I'm very I'm pressed with Parker, his future is bright here.

It's early but it appears the defense may not be as good as last year like I originally thought.

I really don't have much of an opinion yet. The trip to Maui and game against Gonzaga will be very telling.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

cats101 wrote:The entry passes from York were terrible..."not a PG"

I'm very I'm pressed with Parker, his future is bright here.

It's early but it appears the defense may not be as good as last year like I originally thought.

I really don't have much of an opinion yet. The trip to Maui and game against Gonzaga will be very telling.
I was at the game and pretty much agree. The team is still figuring things out. I wasn't sure why Miller ran some groups with York as pg. He made about 3 or 4 really bad passes. I see very good things in the future.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:Watching the game now. Zeus still played defense thankfully. York didn't unfortunately.

What do you think of PItts?
Does ok. Nothing spectacular on defense, but fairly steady. Facial hair is still awful.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Good seeing EP hitting threes. (and defending better) He's perfect for spot up situations when Arizona needs a bucket.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Pitts is defending really well. And not turning the ball over on the offensive side. Mr. Reliable. If anyone has a shot at earning serious minutes, it's him. If York doesn't distinguish himself (and so far he hasn't), there are minutes at 2 for the taking, and plenty at the 3 as well.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

If Pitts could only develop some PG skills, Miller's guard decisions would be vastly simpler.

It's so hard to predict ceilings, but you wonder if York has hit his.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

catgrad97 wrote:If Pitts could only develop some PG skills, Miller's guard decisions would be vastly simpler.

It's so hard to predict ceilings, but you wonder if York has hit his.
I know that Miller wanted a little look at York in the Red/Blue and the blowouts just in case, and got nothin' for trying. But which PG skills would you wish for Pitts? You obviously don't mean defending the point. That would take him away from his strength of defending the wing. As far as bringing the ball up the court and initiating the offense, you don't think TJ and PJC have the full package of point guard covered?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

York had a bad game. He needs to work on things as all players do. He will be an important guy off the bench throughout the year. Same with Pitts and PJC. Those are your first 3 off the bench in no particular order. Throw in a tiny bit of Ristic and Victor and that is your team.

I'd be willing to bet that York gets 20 mins on average, about 15 for PJC and Pitts, and less than ten for the rest.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yeah, not seeing the need for a third-string point guard, but if that's one of our problems ... awesome!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Olsondogg wrote:York had a bad game. He needs to work on things as all players do. He will be an important guy off the bench throughout the year. Same with Pitts and PJC. Those are your first 3 off the bench in no particular order. Throw in a tiny bit of Ristic and Victor and that is your team.

I'd be willing to bet that York gets 20 mins on average, about 15 for PJC and Pitts, and less than ten for the rest.

Ditto on this. My thoughts too.