Thank you, Lute!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Catstatic

Thank you, Lute!

Post by Catstatic »

Sounded like we were close to signing Cal as our next coach until Kentucky swooped in and signed him instead. Then Cal helped convince Miller to come to the Ol' Pueblo. The fact that Arizona is at the level where either of these truly elite (top 5?) coaches would even give us a sniff, let alone take the job and move to Tucson, is astonishing. The credit goes to one man: Lute Olson.

Thank you, Coach! Your commitment to Arizona (turning down UK twice), running the program the right way, bringing in quality young men, and seemingly giving the Cats a chance every single year to make a deep run in March is what helped make this program what it is today. I believe Miller will also get us multiple FF's, and quite possibly multiple NC's. No way we get Miller (or Cal) without Olson laying the groundwork. His support for Miller from day one has also been a huge positive. We owe this man a lot, from the 4-24 team he inherited.

Thank you, Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!

Go Cats!!
pokinmik

Re: Thank you, Lute!

Post by pokinmik »

Hear, hear.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Sounds like there will be a tribute to Lute in February in Phoenix. Final details still being worked out.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Arcadia Tavern?
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Well this post seems rather random, but I'm down with it!
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Lofty wrote:Well this post seems rather random, but I'm down with it!
:lol:

It just occurred to me that the coaches that are the best recruiters in the country, have the top two ranked teams as of today, and (who knows?) might be battling for years to come for national supremacy were both more than a little interested in the Arizona job. Crazy! Thanks, Lute!

Go Cats!!
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

While the thought of John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Brandon Knight, Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Terrence Jones, Nerlens Noel, James Young, and Julius Randle make me wonder what might have been for Arizona under Calipari, I wouldn't want anyone else running the show than Sean Miller!
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

I much rather have Miller, but I get your point. Both coaches are able to make due with what they have. Miller is able to bring guys together and build a team concept and buy in, while Cal is able to constantly put freshmen in the line of fire year after year with solid results. And yes, all built by Lute. And he did it all right.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

And a shout out to Freddie who made it possible to get Lute here. As Lute said, Fred showed what was possible, a sold out Mckale and an elite 8 run
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Miller > Calipari, 8 days a week.

If Calipari where at Arizona, he would look 10 years younger and be guaranteed to stay for 20 years more.

I have to take a shower, maybe 3.
Machina

Post by Machina »