AdjO

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

AdjO

Post by Olsondogg »

AdjD is #7...so technically the offense is better than the defense currently.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Re: AdjO

Post by Chicat »

We suck.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Can 1 of you basketball nerds explain to one of us basketball idiots who just like watching the big orange ball go through the net thingy, what AdjO and AdjD actually mean / measure?
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Alieberman wrote:Can 1 of you basketball nerds explain to one of us basketball idiots who just like watching the big orange ball go through the net thingy, what AdjO and AdjD actually mean / measure?
Here's a good place to start: http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog ... s_glossary
Formerly McLurvin
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

So in basic terms, AdjO is adjusted offense or the points scored per 100 possessions. AdjD is the opposite...points given up per 100 possessions.

So basically shoot really well and as often as possible...and allow the reverse on defense.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Thanks nerds!

So basically it's about efficiency?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote:Thanks nerds!

So basically it's about efficiency?
Yes. How efficient are you at scoring when you possess the ball.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Olsondogg wrote:#5

AdjD is #7...so technically the offense is better than the defense currently.
And we have yet to come close to playing a complete game. I have no doubt our guys will be right there in March with as good as a chance as anyone (even Kentucky) of winning the entire thing.

Go Cats!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It's funny...the narrative that I read and hear, especially from CBB "experts" on TV seldom holds up statistically. I remember hearing Maclean lament free throw shooting and how bad it's become across CBB, when in fact its never been better.

People can whine about "slow starts" and such, and that's fine. I wish we started games better too. But it's not how you start it's how you finish. Offensively, statistically speaking, this team is more than fine.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Points per Attempt (PPA) is not nearly as sophisticated as Ken Pomeroy's AdjO but it is still a pretty good measure of overall offensive efficiency.

Here are how Arizona teams rank in PPA (by coach):
1.35 Olson
1.38 O'Neill
1.34 Pennell
1.34 Miller

Highest = 1.54 = 1987-88
Lowest = 1.19 = 2005-06

Only years since 1986-87 considered (three point shot adopted).
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Oh wow but averaging 85+ ppg is more important.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It slipped to #6 in adjo

And #12 in adjd

We suck
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

AdjO still in top 20 at #15 (AdJD atg #8).

Also sit at #11 in FG %, and are averaging a respectable 76 PPG...but I keep hearing from all sides how offense is a problem....

Can someone explain?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

It all depends where you look and whose numbers you like I suppose.

This site http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sch ... /2015.html says:

50th Points scored/game
47th Points allowed/game
15th Simple Rating System
85th Strength of Schedule
36th Offensive Rating
34th Defensive Rating
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

Arguably more importantly, we're top 30 in raw efficiency. Coming around.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

KaibabKat wrote:It all depends where you look and whose numbers you like I suppose.

This site http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sch ... /2015.html says:

50th Points scored/game
47th Points allowed/game
15th Simple Rating System
85th Strength of Schedule
36th Offensive Rating
34th Defensive Rating

Ok, so when I hear about offense, tell me the numbers that support the "Arizona struggles offensively" or "Arizona is not efficient".
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Well, i admittedly don't know the difference between Kenpom and team rankings and sports reference, but if our offensive efficiency is ranked only around 30th, then I'm happy to admit that I'm worried.

Happily, I can choose to believe Kenpom instead of the others. Just because I want to.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Olsondogg wrote:Ok, so when I hear about offense, tell me the numbers that support the "Arizona struggles offensively" or "Arizona is not efficient".
Well, you could go here: http://www.barttorvik.com/trank.htm if you really wanted to worry about it. They show Arizona with an OR% of 31.4% which would rank them at about #167 of the 351 D1 teams.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

KaibabKat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Ok, so when I hear about offense, tell me the numbers that support the "Arizona struggles offensively" or "Arizona is not efficient".
Well, you could go here: http://www.barttorvik.com/trank.htm if you really wanted to worry about it. They show Arizona with an OR% of 31.4% which would rank them at about #167 of the 351 D1 teams.

I could go to random sites to find something negative. KenPom is pretty damn accurate, however. Also, I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

What is the thing that Kenpom shows? Every team that has won it all was top 20 in adjO and adjD? Did Uconn buck that trend?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

WildcatStunner wrote:What is the thing that Kenpom shows? AdjO, AdjD and a bunch of other stuff. Every team that has won it all was top 20 in adjO and adjD? Yes, since at least 2003 until last year. Did Uconn buck that trend? Yes, they won it with an AdjO of 39.
gumby

Post by gumby »

So we have a chance. I can stop thinking about next year.
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

So, after tonight our AdjO sits at 13.

Our AdjD sits at 10.

Two other teams in the nation have both that reside in the top 15 like Arizona. Those teams are Kentucky and Virginia.

Feel free to repeat this to someone that complains about offense or defense.