UTEP

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cats101

UTEP

Post by cats101 »

Any insight on the Miners? Ive only watched the second half of their game against the mutts and looked at some stats and they seemed okay, like a typical Tim Floyd team at USC but with a little less talent. Their fans are obviously pumped, any chance they pull it off? I'll be there and don't want to be mobbed.
HiCat

Re: UTEP

Post by HiCat »

older scouting report..not sure how much has changed

November 30, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Scouting report: UTEP

OVERVIEW

— UTEP is a veteran group that returns four starters and eight of its top nine scorers from a team that was 23-11 last season.

— The Miners are outstanding at drawing fouls and getting to the free throw line. They’ve taken 103 free throws compared to 58 for their opponents. However, they’re shooting just 65 percent at the charity stripe.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/huskymens ... port-utep/
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

So is this a really tough game like just about everyone is saying?

Or is it so tough because it's a true roady (which usually brings out our best performances)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Well, UTEP did beat Incarnate Word by 16.

Also beat Princeton and Xavier, but lost to NM St, UDub and CSU.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I'm having flashbacks to those games in The Pit. Obnoxious crowds, a team that plays out of their minds while we play uninspired. I don't think that will happen with a CSM team but I still have those games in my subconscious.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

The Miners will be up for this game. (my guess anyway) Home crowd should crazy, so Cats need to tcb early. Stay out of foul trouble, tough def, etc.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Speaking of which, anybody remember that Christmastime 2002 game when #1 ranked Arizona went to LSU and pretty much sleepwalked for 35 minutes against a team with its hair on fire in an electric environment, before getting serious and turning it on in the final five minutes and losing by just a one point instead of 15 points? I don't see that sort of performance coming out of this Arizona team. Unlike that earlier team, I think that even the freshman this year have internalized Miller's observation that you can't turn it off and on.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

UTEP wins 100-0
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

scumdevils86 wrote:UTEP wins 100-0
200-0 if the food poisoning kicks in.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:Well, UTEP did beat Incarnate Word by 16.

Also beat Princeton and Xavier, but lost to NM St, UDub and CSU.
Coached by former Cat assistant Ken Burmeister.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

84Cat wrote:I'm having flashbacks to those games in The Pit. Obnoxious crowds, a team that plays out of their minds while we play uninspired. I don't think that will happen with a CSM team but I still have those games in my subconscious.
Just feed Sean Elliott and throttle Jeep Kelly, and we'll be fine.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Arizona -5
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Blue out.

Machina

Post by Machina »

Merkin wrote:Blue out.

Is that for the fan's safety?
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Floyd Gems

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Wildcats highest-ranked team ever to visit El Paso

http://tucson.com/sports/college/wildcats/
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Thank God Tim Floyd is not our coach.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Machina wrote:
Merkin wrote:Blue out.

Is that for the fan's safety?
Probably.

Don't think utep fans are going to be very welcoming. Just a hunch though.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Chicat wrote:Thank God Tim Floyd is not our coach.
Yes yes yes! We were very close
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

cats101 wrote:
Chicat wrote:Thank God Tim Floyd is not our coach.
Yes yes yes! We were very close
Livengood and Arizona sure lucked out with Floyd turned down the job.

That, and the Maryland AD eating a hamburger while courting Miller was another stroke of good luck.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Floyd the real slim shady. :o
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Since the Oakland Coach didn't have much patience against the Cats the other night AND with Floyds history; What are the odds that Floyd will last the entire game?

We need to start a "What Time Does He Exit?" poll
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

This is going to be a nail biter. With it being SJ first road game, I could see this being a game rely on the vets.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

I will be there loud and proud.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

MountainCat wrote:Since the Oakland Coach didn't have much patience against the Cats the other night AND with Floyds history; What are the odds that Floyd will last the entire game?

We need to start a "What Time Does He Exit?" poll
I sincerely doubt he gets rung up and thrown out of this home game.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Apparently this weekend for utep is their version of the 12/15/2012 weekend we had. They are going to only their 2nd bowl game in 9 years on Saturday (new Mexico bowl) and are playing us Friday night. Just like when we hosted Florida and played in the nm bowl....utep fans are saying it's the biggest sports weekend in el Paso in decades.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Apparently this weekend for utep is their version of the 12/15/2012 weekend we had. They are going to only their 2nd bowl game in 9 years on Saturday (new Mexico bowl) and are playing us Friday night. Just like when we hosted Florida and played in the nm bowl....utep fans are saying it's the biggest sports weekend in el Paso in decades.
well I certainly hope we start their weekend off badly for them.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

That dude needs to lay off the roids. But I'd pay good money to see a video of a Wildcats fan heckle him after we dispose of UTEP.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

delete
Last edited by HiCat on Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

lots of cut and paste edits...fyi

Miners ready to rock as Arizona visits

5 hours ago • By Bruce Pascoe

UTEP

G C.J. Cooper (6-0 senior)

G Julian Washburn (6-8 senior)

F Vince Hunter (6-8 sophomore

F Cedrick Lang (6-10 senior)

C Matt Willms (7-1 sophomore)

HOW THEY MATCH UP

UTEP overview: After injuries and the dismissal of three key players last season, coach Tim Floyd may have his best team yet at UTEP. The Miners are experienced, big and aggressive, with a potential NBA player in versatile forward Vince Hunter. They can start a lineup with two 6-foot-8 wings, an improving big man in Cedrick Lang and a high-upside center in Matt Willms. Their offense, not surprisingly, is heavy on post scoring and their defense, in true Floyd fashion, is mostly man-to-man but can flash a 1-3-1 zone, 2-3 zone, box-and-one or even a triangle-and-two. They tried the triangle-and-two briefly at the beginning of their game at UA three seasons ago.

KEY PLAYERS

UTEP

Vince Hunter

You might not see Hunter much this season in the Conference USA but the NBA folks know all about him: After earning the C-USA’s freshman of the year honor last season, he joined UA’s Stanley Johnson and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson at the LeBron James camp, showing off his ability to score off drives or jumpers as well as attracting fouls.

UTEP has sold out 112 previous games at the Don Haskins Center, largely because of the Bear’s success, and tonight it will also feel energized. It might feel historic. And, if Floyd’s well-equipped Miners manage to pull off an upset, it will be historic.

“Well, I don’t know that I’d go that far,” Floyd said of UTEP’s upset chances over Arizona, a 7.5-point favorite. “I know the game is really great for us to help us work on things we have to for our conference. But the notion of winning it? When you’re ranked No. 3, that means there are 340 teams not as good as you. That’s kind of where we are.”

True, maybe, but so is this: Floyd may have his best team yet at UTEP, a contender for Conference USA title, with size, experience and talent that includes NBA prospect Vince Hunter, a versatile combination forward.

There’s also this: While coaching USC from 2005-09 – just before Sean Miller arrived at Arizona — Floyd’s Trojans beat the Wildcats five out of eight times.

A well-respected strategist who has run multiple high-major college and NBA teams, Floyd is known for adjusting offenses to his personnel and mixing up man-to-man, zone and gimmick defenses.

He also has three former head coaches on his staff to help out: Phil Johnson, the former UA assistant under Lute Olson and head coach at San Jose State; Bobby Braswell, the former longtime coach at Cal State Northridge; and Bob Cantu, who took over for the fired Kevin O’Neill as USC’s interim head coach in 2012-13.

“Tim Floyd and his staff do an excellent job and the way they coach the game can change, especially defensively, from one game to the next,” UA coach Sean Miller said. “They have a tremendous player in Hunter and in terms of going on the road, it’s always hard, but it’s always even more difficult early in the season because you haven’t done it a lot.”

Tonight’s game will be the first true road test for the three UA freshmen in the playing rotation — Stanley Johnson, Parker Jackson-Cartwright and Dusan Ristic — but Miller said he would rely on his veteran players to help bring the younger guys along.

UTEP will counter with experience and, maybe, the passion of a late-night sold-out crowd.

For the Miners, it’s nearly perfect timing to host this kind of showdown. When he took over UTEP in 2010, Floyd said he wanted to build the program with freshmen, not transfers, and his team is only now turning into the kind of fully bred, experienced bunch he was aiming for.

Floyd had planned on it to happen last season, when he was set to mix in returnees with a well-regarded recruiting class that included five-star guard Isaac Hamilton, center Matt Willms of Nevada’s Findlay Prep and Hunter.

But, in a well-publicized tussle, Hamilton opted to back out of his letter-of-intent against Floyd’s wishes, and now plays for UCLA. Floyd also lost a well-regarded junior college recruit who opted not to play Division I ball and another recruit to academics.

Then, last January, Floyd dismissed three rotation players, including leading scorer McKenzie Moore, after an FBI investigation found they had bet on sports events (but were not involved with point shaving).

This season, though, Floyd has everyone he expected and it’s showing on the court. The Miners are 4-0 at home and don’t have a bad loss: They lost to Washington in the final of the Wooden Legacy, at Colorado State by three points, and at regional rival New Mexico State (which they beat earlier in El Paso).

In other words, Floyd finally has the kind of team Haskins might recognize.

“When we started this process four years ago, we tried to stay out of the transfer market and tried to get our (recruiting) classes staggered, so we could be in the Gonzaga-Arizona mode and bring in freshmen every year,” Floyd said. “I think there had been a departure from coach Haskins with the coaches who followed him.

“We’re trying to follow what he did. We’re not as good. But we’ve got some really nice young players.”

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 60282.html
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Another super bowl for an Az opponent yay!
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

cats101 wrote:Another super bowl for an Az opponent yay!
Every damn game every season. By the time we get to the Tourney both Pac and NCAA its like old hat for us. Which in the grand scheme of things hopefully means lots of Final Fours beginning like...this season :o

BTW, where's that dude. Think he is a doctor that was on the rivals site? Big New Mexico/WAC supporter of the old days. He was grating but he should be IN this thread but I don't think he is on this site yet. Damn can't remember his moniker/avatar. Oh wait...BBFORGOOD or something like that.
He should be in here spewing... :P
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CBCat wrote:
Every damn game every season. By the time we get to the Tourney both Pac and NCAA its like old hat for us. Which in the grand scheme of things hopefully means lots of Final Fours beginning like...this season :o

BTW, where's that dude. Think he is a doctor that was on the rivals site? Big New Mexico/WAC supporter of the old days. He was grating but he should be IN this thread but I don't think he is on this site yet. Damn can't remember his moniker/avatar.
BBGood4U?
-JB
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
CBCat wrote:

BTW, where's that dude. Think he is a doctor that was on the rivals site? Big New Mexico/WAC supporter of the old days. He was grating but he should be IN this thread but I don't think he is on this site yet. Damn can't remember his moniker/avatar.
BBGood4U?

LOL, yeah that guy. He was full of a lot of hot air. haha. Where are you BB? In El Paso for the game?? He was a good read in that he was mostly against the status quo compared to most of us. Incited good at times funny discussion. He took a lot of crap. lol
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Wow, big lineup.

Cats by 11
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Katzenfreund wrote:Mmmkay...

This is probably the best thing I've watched all year.

This needs to be posted to every game thread, please!
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Katzenfreund wrote:Mmmkay...

The only way I know how to respond to this is by quoting the great JWoww from MTV's Jersey Shore. "You can stay and get your ass beat or You can stay and get your ass beat."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxobBbrzk6g
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

With truly no disrespect meant to such institutions as UTEP, NMSU, UNM, UNR, UNLV, CSU... how did U of A, with a somewhat similar economic and geographic situation, manage to stay a tier ahead academically (in general) and athletically? you can even throw in SDSU, though their demographic situation is a bit dissimilar to the rest. In a way, its pretty amazing we managed to stand out amongst all these generally ignored Western/mountain state schools.

If we didn't join the Pac would we be similar to UNM? A fine, flagship state school but with brief and occasional national impact?

Or should we be thanking some school leadership from the late 70s to early 90s for some shrewd moves?
Last edited by 1stNGrant Frys on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UTEP was a directional school.

With a natty, but still a directional school.

Even their national championship is tainted since they had to cheat by using black players.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:UTEP was a directional school.

Even their national championship is tainted since they had to cheat by using black players.

Where's that rep button?
-JB
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Where's that rep button?

If I can get it to work a rep-like function may be in store for us soon.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Frybry02 wrote:This is going to be a nail biter. With it being SJ first road game, I could see this being a game rely on the vets.
Stanley says he feels more relaxed in hostile environments. I wouldn't worry about him.

And that video was hilarious. Hope he makes another after we beat their ass. :lol:
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

i hope korcheck sees some minutes tonight. wasn't he originally a utep signee?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dirtbags wrote:i hope korcheck sees some minutes tonight. wasn't he originally a utep signee?
Same here, if Korcheck is in that means the Cats are up by 20 with less than 2 minutes left.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

gumby

Post by gumby »

:lol:
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

:roll:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Idiots
-JB