Ashley and his defense?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Frybry02

Ashley and his defense?

Post by Frybry02 »

Finally am able to watch the Oregon game. The first thing that comes to mind is Oregon exploiting Ashley. Lately teams have been attacking Ashley. His lateral movement has been terrible. I'm just trying to fund a reason in my mind. Not totally confident in his foot? Not completely focussed? Just a bad individual defender?
Chicat

Re: Ashley and his defense?

Post by Chicat »

He just looked totally out of it in the Oregon game. I actually thought he might have been under the weather.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
loomer

Post by loomer »

His defense has never been very good. I'm just surprised that teams are finally starting to figure it out that utilizing a quicker 4 against him will yield successful results. He's the weak link defensively in the "new" starting lineup, so don't be surprised to see this more often going forward.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I remember some people saying the reason we couldn't beat Wisconsin was because we didn't have the player best suited to cover Kaminsky after BAsh's injury.
Now it's all about how bad his D is - is it that much worse after the injury?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UAEebs86 wrote:I remember some people saying the reason we couldn't beat Wisconsin was because we didn't have the player best suited to cover Kaminsky after BAsh's injury.
Now it's all about how bad his D is - is it that much worse after the injury?
I don't remember his man getting by him very often his freshman or sophomore year before the foot injury. We see it now often.

Freshman year I remember Miller subbing offense and defense at ends of close games. Ashley was defense and Jerrett was offense.

Will Miller play zone at times to make up for this? Probably more likely the defense iat the end of a close game is McConnell York/Pitts Johnson Jefferson Tarc with Ashley subbing in for the 2 guard or Tarc at times on offense possessions.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Good For You

Post by Good For You »

I'm in favor of it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

We became a defensive force when Gordon joined the team. I don't know why anyone would think Bash could check someone if Gordon couldn't. Could be that the foot is an issue.
Right where I want to be.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

BAsh still needs to improve his lateral movement. I think it will continue to get batter as the season progresses. Foot injuries often affect people long after they're cleared to get back to doing what they were doing.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Exactly, POM. Major foot and ankle injuries leave you downright spooky about making responsive lateral moves. Something tells you "don't get your feet tangled". Not the same rehab as forward/backward. Funny thing, though, just a personal reflection, when you mean to move laterally on O it doesn't affect you the same way. It's the quick responsive stuff on D that spooks you.

Brash'll beat this----just a matter of time. I think he's got the lateral moves.