Stanley Johnson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bangkok Wildcat

Re: Stanley Johnson

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Yeah, Stanimal is a stud....too damned bad he's a one and done'r....thank you NBA....I hate you.

Anyways, am really enjoying him this year.....a definite stud! Bear Down Stanley and let's win the P12, Tourney, Final Four and........anything more will be pure icing on the cake!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Breakthrough game. First really good one for him in a hostile environment. He's a load!
Right where I want to be.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

to me he might be the best player in the country right now
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

He's up there for sure. Almost expected he drops about 20 a game now, within the flow. Add in his defense and competitive nature...Stanley is a BEAST!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Merkin wrote:Givony has him #5 as of today: http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/Top-100-Prospects/
It's about time.

Alpha Stan
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:to me he might be the best player in the country right now
Me too. Mainly because of his progression. He went from being a carbon copy of Kobe as an NBA rookie and jacking up any shot at any time to really allowing the game to come to him. He's active on the offensive end without the ball. He's looking to pass more often, especially after pressuring the defense with his dribble drives. And he's got a really good sense of when the team needs a bucket and he needs to be aggressive going towards the hoop.

I have absolutely no complaints about Stanimal since Pac-12 play began. And the fact that he won the Gold Jersey in practice this past week is just icing on the cake. The kid just gets it. And we're all benefitting from it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Would really like the Lakers to win a few more games and land at #6 so Suns can trade it and their 1st to get Johnson.

Probably not going to happen.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Imagine what he'd do without early foul trouble, and 35 minutes just to play basketball. Maybe tomorrow.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Damn, RHJ really falling down the board...

No way he goes after 15.

No Ashley, No Zeus, but Josh Smith? WTH?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

28.5mpg, 14.8ppg, 6.8rpg, 1.7apg, 1.5spg -- 49.2%fg, 41.2%3pt, 70.3%ft
az91

Post by az91 »

97cats wrote:to me he might be the best player in the country right now
I knew he would eventually be our best player this season.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Me too. Mainly because of his progression. He went from being a carbon copy of Kobe as an NBA rookie and jacking up any shot at any time to really allowing the game to come to him. He's active on the offensive end without the ball. He's looking to pass more often, especially after pressuring the defense with his dribble drives. And he's got a really good sense of when the team needs a bucket and he needs to be aggressive going towards the hoop.

I have absolutely no complaints about Stanimal since Pac-12 play began. And the fact that he won the Gold Jersey in practice this past week is just icing on the cake. The kid just gets it. And we're all benefiting from it.
this is a really good post -- the three things color/bolded are something Arizona hasnt had in its ELITE/best player come March since Sean Miller became coach.....time stamp this specific discussion for further review.

not only is his sense of the moment and TEAM need/urgency spot on, its the delivery and successful execution in that critical moment that sets him apart --- and have i ever mentioned what a terrific passer he is?
Last edited by 97cats on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bosy Billups wrote:Damn, RHJ really falling down the board...

No way he goes after 15.

No Ashley, No Zeus, but Josh Smith? WTH?
Zeus at #91. BAsh will reappear next week I imagine.

RHJ still plays out of control on offense, no handles, and no outside shot.

Only very slight progression on offense between his FR and SO years.

Very nice D though, and that worked quite well for Richard Jefferson.
Last edited by Merkin on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yeah, all those jumpers over the summer aren't showing much in RHJ's game.

Johnson is already our go-to guy though, and barring another tweet-fest like last night's, he should shred Cal.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Love that RJ reference, Merkin. That's where RHJ will make his living. I think he's actually regressed offensively, because of the turnovers and awkward plays where he has to bail out with a desperation shot or pass. Kind of amazing that he scores as much as he does, and it's all attributable to his motor and willingness to scrap.

Stan is clearly the best offensive player.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Getting noticed.

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... =209861647

Or what Main Event posted.
ST. LOUIS – Arizona freshman Stanley Johnson was named to midseason watch lists for both the Oscar Robertson Trophy and the Integris Wayman Tisdale Award on Friday by the United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA).

Johnson is one of three freshmen on the 16-player list for the Oscar Robertson Trophy, presented annually to the USBWA National Player of the Year. He is one of two Pac-12 rookies on the 14-player list for the Integris Wayman Tisdale Award, bestowed by the USBWA on its National Freshman of the Year each season.

Arizona’s leader in scoring and rebounding, Johnson is one of just two freshmen in the major college basketball conferences averaging at least 14.0 points and 6.0 rebounds per game (also Duke’s Jahlil Okafor) with marks of 14.8 points and 6.8 boards per night.
Last edited by gumby on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

hows my timing?

is its Stanley Johnson like?
gumby

Post by gumby »

97cats wrote:hows my timing?

is its Stanley Johnson like?
Yeah, but stop with the early fouls!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Pac-12 Numbers (six games)

28.6mpg, 15.5ppg, 6.5rpg, 1.3apg, .83spg, 52.6%fg, 35.7%3pt, 80%ft
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Merkin wrote:Givony has him #5 as of today: http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/Top-100-Prospects/
The guy is going to be a match up problem on the next level. What was Lebron when he was 18? 6'8", 235 lbs fast and strong creating all sorts of problems at the 2/3?

Stanley's skill set is not be quite as good as Lebron's at the same age, but similarities of body type/game/match up issues abound. He absolutely looks like a $10M+ a year 10+ year NBA starter.
Merkin

Speaking of Givony...

Post by Merkin »

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

He is the greatest player to put on an Arizona jersey from a basketball talent perspective.

Maybe you could say sean elliott is above him but Stanley for his size is amazing and will be the greatest ever wildcat in the NBA.

I am glad i got to see him in high school and just knew if he kept his head on right his time would come.

He is an alpha male like we have not had in a while.

My god, can you imagine if he actually stayed a couple years.

Yeah, I said it, greatest ever wildcat to put on an arizona jersey from a basketball talent standpoint.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Slow down a little...
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

I could definitely see him being like DWill in the tourney a few years back when he was single-handedly demolishing Duke. You really need a man among boys come tourney time.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

waysouthcat wrote:I could definitely see him being like DWill in the tourney a few years back when he was single-handedly demolishing Duke. You really need a man among boys come tourney time.
We don't even know how good Stanley Johnson is going to get. He is just starting to excel. I doubt he has reached his peak yet. He is miles ahead of where he was at the beginning of the season. I believe he has a better all around game than DWill. And I bet his defense will become even better. The guy can handle the ball, is a good passer, rebounds, can drive the lane and pull up, shoot the three, play defense, has a high bball IQ (understands the flow of the game), is obviously teachable, works hard, and a go-to player (as a freshman). He is the best freshman the Cats have ever had because of the complete package. We are lucky to have him. I wouldn't be surprised if he went #1 in the draft. He's a prototypical SF for the NBA.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Yea, that's weird part, he is so good and talented, but looks like he puts in 80% effort. Kinda reminds me of Randy Moss back in the Viking days.

What if Stanley Johnson made it personal, had that Kobe/Jordan killer instinct?

Game over.

He's too nice, his mama did too well.

I would like to see him get mean, angry, and just tear shit up for personal reasons.
UofACat23

Post by UofACat23 »

The best part about Stanley's game is he rarely forces the issue and he's scoring his points within the offensive system. Yes, sometimes he'll get called for a charge, but the lane is usually open and he should be driving, he just needs to do a better job at avoiding contact.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think SJ will be the best NBA guy this program has produced and we have had some good one's
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Slow down, heck no. The guy has it all. Big, Strong, Quick, better shooter then I thought, good feel for the game, and a confidence you rarely see.

Trust me, he has the killer instinct, you dont win 4 straight state titles in California without having it.

He is the difference to me for why this team can go far. In close games you need an alpha male to step up and get you points. We havent had one since DWill and to me that team was the best team should have made the final four except we played the best team in the elite 8. Why did we not make a final four last year, Nick Johnson was a great player but nothing like Stanley.

Stanley is future NBA hall of fame material. With his body, the sky is truly the limits. And if he keeps improving his jump shot...WOW
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Is there still room on the bus?

Sorry for not giving SJ time to grow earlier in the season. Love the fact that he's buying in and we are all, SJ included, seeing results.
prh

Post by prh »

Early yesterday: After the game: Good job Stan
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

As a father of an adorable 6mo old daughter, this warms my heart.

Stanimal!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He's up to 49% shooting overall and 41% from three. Put the ball in his hands and let the man go to work...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:He's up to 49% shooting overall and 41% from three. Put the ball in his hands and let the man go to work...
Cosign...

A minute to go, clear some space, and let him loose. Stanimal!
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

97cats wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:Have never been so confident that a freshman will produce. His impact will be larger than any freshman we've had before.
if Stanley Johnson matches (or heaven help us) exceeds the impact of Mike Bibby than we can continue this discussion at the appropriate time.
I think this is a distinct possibility. As long as he doesn't let his success go to his head he can take us far.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Newportcat wrote:He is the greatest player to put on an Arizona jersey from a basketball talent perspective.

Maybe you could say sean elliott is above him but Stanley for his size is amazing and will be the greatest ever wildcat in the NBA.

I am glad i got to see him in high school and just knew if he kept his head on right his time would come.

Yeah, I said it, greatest ever wildcat to put on an arizona jersey from a basketball talent standpoint.
As much as it'll ruffle some feathers, I can get behind this. Every possession he doesn't touch the ball is a bad possession

Hoping he's our Melo come tourney time
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Newportcat wrote:He is the greatest player to put on an Arizona jersey from a basketball talent perspective.

crazy talk
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:I think SJ will be the best NBA guy this program has produced and we have had some good one's
I think he will be by a pretty wide margin. We have produced a lot of players who have gone on to long and successful NBA careers, but are sorely lacking in the "producing NBA stars" department.

I have zero doubt that, barring injury, Stanimal will play in more all-star games by his 30th birthday than all previous Wildcats have combined.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

That's debatable, but he is on the short list that belong in the conversation. Elliott was a bit taller and more explosive, Stanley is considerably stronger. Elliott was a better ball handler and passer, but who knows what Stanimal could develop into of we were to have him for 4 years.

Elliott will never be unseeded as the Greatest Cat in history because no one with enough ability will ever stay here long enough to unseat him.

His big edge over Elliott is his mindset and confidence. If Elliott had Stanley's "alpha dog" mentality he would have played in 10 All-Star games and been a Top 50 All-time NBA player.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Harvey Specter wrote: I have zero doubt that, barring injury, Stanimal will play in more all-star games by his 30th birthday than all previous Wildcats have combined.
Just curious, so looked it up, All Star appearances:

Gilbert Arenas: 3
Sean Elliott: 2
Andre Iguodala: 1
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Merkin wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote: I have zero doubt that, barring injury, Stanimal will play in more all-star games by his 30th birthday than all previous Wildcats have combined.
Just curious, so looked it up, All Star appearances:

Gilbert Arenas: 3
Sean Elliott: 2
Andre Iguodala: 1
So 7 is definitely do able
gumby

Post by gumby »

Harvey Specter wrote:

That's debatable, but he is on the short list that belong in the conversation. Elliott was a bit taller and more explosive, Stanley is considerably stronger. Elliott was a better ball handler and passer, but who knows what Stanimal could develop into of we were to have him for 4 years.

Elliott will never be unseeded as the Greatest Cat in history because no one with enough ability will ever stay here long enough to unseat him.

His big edge over Elliott is his mindset and confidence. If Elliott had Stanley's "alpha dog" mentality he would have played in 10 All-Star games and been a Top 50 All-time NBA player.
This. Can't surpass Elliott as a collegian. Won't be National Player of the Year. Btw, what does "from a basketball talent standpoint" mean? As opposed to results?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So is Stan beginning to fill the void left by NJ? Is he officially our go-to guy?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Offensively yes
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Offensively yes
Defensively he isn't shabby either. Although our defensive stopper this year is RHJ.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

The biggest thing the team lost when NJ left was his leadership. TJ is a good leader, but Johnson was special in taht department.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

You guys are CRAZY

Sean Elliott was an amazing college player and very good NBA player. Got the Rings and a couple All Star games but not in the hall of fame and was never the man on any team.

Stanley has a chance as a freshmen to be the national player of the year depending on how well we do this year. He is EASILY the Pac-12 player of the year so far and its not even close.

Think about how much he has improved in the past 2 months.

The guy has future NBA hall of famer written all over him. Seriously he is shooting 41% from 3 range.

I think the problem is the people who dont believe me have never met Stanley or seen him up close. If you had you would realize how physically imposing he is. He is built like a mack truck and so you realize, barring injuries he is built for the NBA especially if he continues to improve his shooting. Thats what I mean by basketball talent. His time in our program will be too short but his basketball talent level is By Far, BY FAR better then anyone we have ever had. The only two guys I think had something close was Elliott and Arenas. Arenas probably the most because he was just so quick but a head case.

If we dont make a final four with a player on our team like Stanley, this year is an utter failure.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Now you're just doubling down on the drama. Nobody is arguing the NBA aspect of this. As for college, read this on Elliott's and DWill's productivity. This is all that matters. Matters even more than meeting them. Shocking, I know.

http://allsportstucson.com/2015/01/25/a ... surfacing/

Don't want to read itt? Then here's the bottom line: What Stan has done over the last 4 games those two did for an entire season.

P.S. The author has met them all, just in case that's still an important metric.