Stanley Johnson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: Stanley Johnson

Post by gumby »

Newportcat wrote:Ok so he is in the Top 10 for points at #10, he is 14th in rebounds, 11th in 3% Percentage, 16th in Field Goal %, 2nd in Free throws made, 6th in Steals, compared to the rest of the Top 10 in scoring he shoots 2 times less per game then the next lowest person. He is also tied for 8th in points scored.

Nick Johnson was 8th in scoring, 32 in rebounds, 36 in shooting percentage, 10th in free throws made, 24th in 3% Percentage (24th?!?!?), 14th in assists, 15th in steals, Nick also shoot the ball 3 times more per game

So yeah, great argument.

Wow, I just used Facts instead of just saying shut up Stanley is God!
About time. Nick was also the best perimeter defender in the league, and the team's leader.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

that tells you how ridiculous Durant was too
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Which once again proves my point that Stanley is God
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beyond the 3pt %, Stanley and DWill are having pretty similar seasons:

Stanley - 28.6 min/g, 15.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.6 spg, .3 bpg, 2.5 tog, .492 fg%, .717 ft%, .412 3p%
DWill - 28.2 min/g, 15.7 ppg, 7.1 rpg, .7 apg, .6 spg, .6 bpg, 1.9 tog, .574 fg%, .681 ft%, .250 3p%

I'm hard pressed to say who had the better freshman campaign...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:Beyond the 3pt %, Stanley and DWill are having pretty similar seasons:

Stanley - 28.6 min/g, 15.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.6 spg, .3 bpg, 2.5 tog, .492 fg%, .717 ft%, .412 3p%
DWill - 28.2 min/g, 15.7 ppg, 7.1 rpg, .7 apg, .6 spg, .6 bpg, 1.9 tog, .574 fg%, .681 ft%, .250 3p%

indeed that is pretty close
UofACat23

Post by UofACat23 »

Chicat wrote:Beyond the 3pt %, Stanley and DWill are having pretty similar seasons:

You gotta give the edge to Stanley considering he's doing it within the system on the #6 team in the country compared to DWill's contributions to a bad team that ended up 16-15.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I dunno, DWill had some incredible blocks. Have yet to see Stanimal do this:

UofACat23

Post by UofACat23 »

Merkin wrote:I dunno, DWill had some incredible blocks. Have yet to see Stanimal do this:
That was DWill's sophomore season where he put up:

19.5 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 59.5% FG%, 56.8 3FG%, FT% 74.6.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UofACat23 wrote:

You gotta give the edge to Stanley considering he's doing it within the system on the #6 team in the country compared to DWill's contributions to a bad team that ended up 16-15.
Ah, but you also have to consider that DWill came practically out of nowhere to post those numbers while Stanley was given the reigns (and the shots) right from the get-go. Stanley also has TJ McConnell while DWill had Nic Wise.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UofACat23

Post by UofACat23 »

Chicat wrote:
UofACat23 wrote:

Ah, but you also have to consider that DWill came practically out of nowhere to post those numbers while Stanley was given the reigns (and the shots) right from the get-go. Stanley also has TJ McConnell while DWill had Nic Wise.
On the other hand, nobody else was capable of getting points so DWill had to be the guy, Stanley is surrounded by much more talented players and has to play within the offense (as opposed to being the entire offense like DWill)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UofACat23 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
UofACat23 wrote:

On the other hand, nobody else was capable of getting points so DWill had to be the guy, Stanley is surrounded by much more talented players and has to play within the offense (as opposed to being the entire offense like DWill)
Nic actually took the most shots on the team that year by a good bit. Not exactly what you want from your 5' 9" PG. He also led the team in assists with only 3.3 per game. In comparison, TJ is averaging almost double that while taking significantly less shots.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

247 sports has SJ going to the Magic at 5. That would be sick!

http://247sports.com/Article/2015-NBA-M ... t-35142236
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UofACat23 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
UofACat23 wrote:

Opposing defenses have considerably more to worry about on this team than they did on D-Will's; Williams accomplished what he did while being arguably the only player on which opposing defenses really had to focus, and he still did what he did.

What is more impressive to me than Williams raw stats was his offensive efficiency, especially his sophomore year. That was remarkable for a guy who had to carry a team offensively
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I'd probably give a slight nod to Stanley as far as freshman seasons go. To bad he's not going to stay around, because DWill improved more from fresh to soph than any top player that I can remember.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Where would the magic put Stanley? AG stays a bench player? They ain't moving Oladipo to the bench. They move someone?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

rgdeuce wrote:Where would the magic put Stanley? AG stays a bench player? They ain't moving Oladipo to the bench. They move someone?
Payton (PG), Oladipo (SG), Stanley (SF). AG off the bench makes sense in that scenario.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Charting the Stanley Johnson effect at Arizona...
While you were busy doing other things on Friday night, Arizona pummeled Oregon State, 57-34. That final score feels very much in tune with both the times (scoring is down!) and with the kind of outstanding defense we've come to expect from the Wildcats in recent seasons.

Sure enough, Sean Miller's defense is excellent once again. To my eyes, however, the big story coming out of Tucson is that Miller has been able to have his defensive cake and eat it too when it comes to scoring. The same team that's been holding the Pac-12 to just 0.86 points per possession has then turned right around and scored 1.13 points per possession.

"Stanley Johnson alone can't replace Nick Johnson and Aaron Gordon."

It turns out I spoke too soon. Johnson's arrival has coincided with a measurable improvement in the Arizona offense. Meanwhile, the defense is very nearly as good as last season's outstanding unit, albeit in a slightly different way (see below). The net result is a Wildcats team that may actually be stronger than the group that earned a No. 1 seed in the 2014 tournament.

The two largest year-to-year differences in the Arizona offense are 2-point accuracy and the ability to get to the line. Johnson, not surprisingly, is outstanding in both areas. In Pac-12 play, Johnson's connecting on 53 percent of his 2's and drawing nearly six fouls per 40 minutes, according to Ken Pomeroy's expanded player page for the Wildcats. And he's doing so as a freshman who's the featured scorer for a national championship contender.

Somehow Johnson hasn't attracted quite the same level of acclaim as fellow freshmen like Okafor or D'Angelo Russell, but you can make a case that the Wildcat star is having an impact as significant as if not larger than any player in the country. I hereby stand corrected.
... And how the Pac-12's playing right into Miller's hands
The average Pac-12 team this season is rebounding just 28.9 percent of its misses in conference play. That number isn't just low, it's record-breaking. The Pac-12 is the weakest major conference we've seen in terms of offensive rebounding during the past five seasons, and Miller's men are preying upon precisely this weakness.

Arizona would be an excellent defensive rebounding team in any event, but putting the Wildcats in a league that's chosen to wave a white flag on offensive boards has resulted in numbers that are simply off the charts. Johnson, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson & Co. are currently pulling down 80.4 percent of their conference opponents' missed shots. Indeed, limiting opponents to just one shot is far and away the strength of a unit that's not as strong as last season's team in terms of field goal defense.

The Pac-12's "after you" attitude on the offensive glass has allowed Arizona's (already excellent) defensive rebounding rate to shoot up by fully eight percentage points compared to last season. In the short term, this means the Wildcats have a fair shot at recording one of the best in-conference numbers for defensive rebound percentage we've seen in years. And come March, it should be fascinating to see how Arizona reacts to an opponent that, for a change, actually tries for offensive boards.
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college ... basketball
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

Kobe courting Stan for Pelinka? Looks like a bit of a long shot but the Lakers would like to have him, and Kobe's agent too!

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2 ... ey-johnson

If there is some good to come out of the rotator cuff injury that sidelined Kobe Bryant for the remainder of the season, it is that the Lakers could lose a whole lot of games the rest of the way and finally be in position to draft a Kobe guy—this time, Arizona’s Stanley Johnson.

Several times in recent years, Bryant has formed a connection with a top prospect in the upcoming draft, with an introduction and the possibility of workouts and friendship. Those players wind up signing with Bryant’s agent, Rob Pelinka.

Such was the case with Dante Exum last year, Derrick Williams in 2011 and James Harden in 2009.

But the Lakers could, finally, wind up with a Kobe draftee. According to league sources, Pelinka is in position to sign the fast-rising Johnson, should Johnson do the inevitable and leave school early. As Arizona has pushed its way up the rankings—they’re 18-2 and currently No. 6—Johnson’s stock has soared.

It’s not coincidental. Nor is it against the rules. As one fellow agent said, “It’s probably the best recruiting tool out there. ‘You can sign with that guy, or sign with me [Pelinka] and you get to work out with Kobe Bryant.’”

But what’s notable is that the Lakers have never wound up with any of those high-caliber draftees Pelinka has landed—they were way out of position to get Williams or Harden, and just missed on Exum last year, when the Jazz picked him two spots ahead of the Lakers’ No. 7 position.

Speculation was heavy ahead of the draft that if Exum had been on the board, the Lakers would have taken him. The same goes for Johnson.

Johnson is now averaging 15.0 points and 7.0 rebounds, making 49.2 percent of his shots and 41.2 percent of his 3s. The consensus is that he will be among the Top 5 players selected in June, possibly even No. 2.

And Johnson would be an ideal fit with the Lakers, who have been starting Wesley Johnson at the small forward spot this season. While they need help in the frontcourt and at point guard, they have last year’s first-round pick—power forward Julius Randle—coming back from a broken leg and will be able to address point guard and front court depth issues in free agency.

None of this will matter if the Lakers don’t have some lottery luck, because they owe the Suns their first pick if it is not in the Top 5. They are 12-33, which would give them the fourth pick in the draft. If they were to get especially lucky and land the No. 1 pick, they’d almost have to go with consensus top pick Jahlil Okafor of Duke.

But Johnson does have a Kobe connection, and when it comes to the Lakers’ future, that could be worth keeping an eye on.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Main Event wrote:Charting the Stanley Johnson effect at Arizona...
While you were busy doing other things on Friday night, Arizona pummeled Oregon State, 57-34. That final score feels very much in tune with both the times (scoring is down!) and with the kind of outstanding defense we've come to expect from the Wildcats in recent seasons.

Sure enough, Sean Miller's defense is excellent once again. To my eyes, however, the big story coming out of Tucson is that Miller has been able to have his defensive cake and eat it too when it comes to scoring. The same team that's been holding the Pac-12 to just 0.86 points per possession has then turned right around and scored 1.13 points per possession.

"Stanley Johnson alone can't replace Nick Johnson and Aaron Gordon."

It turns out I spoke too soon. Johnson's arrival has coincided with a measurable improvement in the Arizona offense. Meanwhile, the defense is very nearly as good as last season's outstanding unit, albeit in a slightly different way (see below). The net result is a Wildcats team that may actually be stronger than the group that earned a No. 1 seed in the 2014 tournament.

The two largest year-to-year differences in the Arizona offense are 2-point accuracy and the ability to get to the line. Johnson, not surprisingly, is outstanding in both areas. In Pac-12 play, Johnson's connecting on 53 percent of his 2's and drawing nearly six fouls per 40 minutes, according to Ken Pomeroy's expanded player page for the Wildcats. And he's doing so as a freshman who's the featured scorer for a national championship contender.

Somehow Johnson hasn't attracted quite the same level of acclaim as fellow freshmen like Okafor or D'Angelo Russell, but you can make a case that the Wildcat star is having an impact as significant as if not larger than any player in the country. I hereby stand corrected.
... And how the Pac-12's playing right into Miller's hands
The average Pac-12 team this season is rebounding just 28.9 percent of its misses in conference play. That number isn't just low, it's record-breaking. The Pac-12 is the weakest major conference we've seen in terms of offensive rebounding during the past five seasons, and Miller's men are preying upon precisely this weakness.

Arizona would be an excellent defensive rebounding team in any event, but putting the Wildcats in a league that's chosen to wave a white flag on offensive boards has resulted in numbers that are simply off the charts. Johnson, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson & Co. are currently pulling down 80.4 percent of their conference opponents' missed shots. Indeed, limiting opponents to just one shot is far and away the strength of a unit that's not as strong as last season's team in terms of field goal defense.

The Pac-12's "after you" attitude on the offensive glass has allowed Arizona's (already excellent) defensive rebounding rate to shoot up by fully eight percentage points compared to last season. In the short term, this means the Wildcats have a fair shot at recording one of the best in-conference numbers for defensive rebound percentage we've seen in years. And come March, it should be fascinating to see how Arizona reacts to an opponent that, for a change, actually tries for offensive boards.
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college ... basketball
That is some good stuff. I cringe at how bad the conference is this year. Hopefully it does not hurt us with blind confidence in the tourney
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

That is a good article. Who wrote it? Maybe coaches are conceding the rebounds, because conference refs have made offensive rebounds illegal.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You heard it here first....

FOUR YEAR PLAYER
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

The converse is true, too. We have been a less active team on the offensive boards, but certainly have the athletes to be very active. And, if teams scout us properly and zone us in the tournament, there will be even more offensive boards to go get.

So, while our defensive rebound conversion rate might drop slightly in the tournament, one of the real downsides to playing zone that teams in conference don't get penalized for when playing against us, allowing offensive rebounds, will be back in play...

I mean if all that is true, and we aren't just a masterful defensive rebounding team that has earned the jump in the stats.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote: You heard it here first....

FOUR YEAR PLAYER
Looks like he's been hacked. Better make the free throws.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Chicat wrote: You heard it here first....

FOUR YEAR PLAYER
Sounds like a reverse oreo post to me!
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Stanley's front and center on the ESPN college bb landing page today: "New Face in the Wooden Race: Arizona's Stanley Johnson officially joins Wooden Award conversation"

Click the storylink? You get the bracketology page
Click the pic of SJ? You get a video about Kaminsky and Okafor's Wooden candidacy

Stupid ESPN.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

dirtbags wrote:Stanley's front and center on the ESPN college bb landing page today: "New Face in the Wooden Race: Arizona's Stanley Johnson officially joins Wooden Award conversation"

Click the storylink? You get the bracketology page
Click the pic of SJ? You get a video about Kaminsky and Okafor's Wooden candidacy

Stupid ESPN.
late again

Stanley Johnson just might be the best player in America
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Why does Stanley make it look so easy? When D-Will was dominating, you felt it just watching him play, he was putting 100% effort while being a man among boys. [aside: too bad that passion has left him in the NBA] I never get that feeling with Stanley, but that's probably because he's more laid back and just the way he carries himself.

Q: During Stan's latest dominating stretch, is he putting out 100% intensity? Because if so, he has me fooled. If not, he is capable of being one of the best players ever, lol.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Always wondered the same with Bibby, another poker-faced player. In this case, "effortless" means smooth/no wasted motion. Not "without effort."

Early in the year, Stan would come out of his defensive stance. Seems to have kicked that habit with greater effort.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Even I once dropped 39 in a game at Camelback HS. It wasn't as much as 51, and truth be told, it never actually happened, but Miller is apparently sincere in in this offer.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Oh it happened. Brian Williams told me all about it.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

ESPN just did a 15 player fantasy draft, Stanley wasn't picked???
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

azcat34 wrote:ESPN just did a 15 player fantasy draft, Stanley wasn't picked???
Looking for good players on bad teams that dominate the stat sheet or unbalanced teams that depend too much on one player.

In any given game, Stanley could go 24/8/5 or 4/3/1. Enough talent to share the workload on our team.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Taking Randle over SJ is downright hilarious. Williams must like guys who spaz out at the end of close games.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Damn. Can't believe I missed this.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

.....is really good
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Did Johnson decide he just wasn't gonna play defense today?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

mugged all game with no calls in a game filled w foul calls.....
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Had to be less aggressive on offense with the foul situation. You could see it.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

with the way that game went today, he's not gonna miss college ball...or more specifically, pac12 ball.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

az91

Post by az91 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:with the way that game went today, he's not gonna miss college ball...or more specifically, pac12 ball.
He will be a much better pro than a college basketball player. The PAC-12 refs are the worse. It is a shame.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Elliott said something like "That won't be called next year." Pretty much summed up Stanley's afternoon.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
gumby

Post by gumby »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:Did Johnson decide he just wasn't gonna play defense today?
Based on that epic photo of him and Miller, I believe the answer is yes.

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... Ck.twitter

"Oh, when you yelled 'shooter", I thought it was a gun reference."

Defense. It matters. It's why Nick Johnson was POY.

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 154a4.html
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:
FightWildcatsFight wrote:Did Johnson decide he just wasn't gonna play defense today?
Based on that epic photo of him and Miller, I believe the answer is yes.

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... Ck.twitter

"Oh, when you yelled 'shooter", I thought it was a gun reference."

Defense. It matters. It's why Nick Johnson was POY.

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 154a4.html

Like that post gumby, but I'll just say what is on my mind...I think the 2nd link is wrong...the defense could totally fall asleep in Seattle and I think the Cats would still win.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

OK, but let's don't and say we did.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Inconsistent effort. Hope he hated the bench.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:Inconsistent effort. Hope he hated the bench.
I hope so, too. We're really at that point where he can't turn off that switch again.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:
I hope so, too. We're really at that point where he can't turn off that switch again.
This whole season as been an audition season for SJ.

He'll be remembered as a Bayless IMO.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
This whole season as been an audition season for SJ.

He'll be remembered as a Bayless IMO.
Depends on our success in the tourney, to be honest. We make the Elite Eight or better and he'll be remembered fondly. We underachieve and he'll be mostly forgotten. Presuming he goes League of course.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy