NCAA seed

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

NCAA seed

Post by Olsondogg »

I want a 2 seed for this team, in the west. Yeah I said a 2.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Re: NCAA seed

Post by CalStateTempe »

Me too
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Naw.... I want a 1 seed in the West with Duke as the 2.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote:Naw.... I want a 1 seed in the West with Duke as the 2.
I'd take that too...but I don't like the focus on the 1's...seems like an unnecessary burden.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:
I'd take that too...but I don't like the focus on the 1's...seems like an unnecessary burden.
This is true. You don't see too many people on TV talking about "Which will be the first 2-seed to fall?".

If we're going to be a 2, I want Gonzaga to be the 1 and obviously I want us to be in the West. If that's not going to happen, then I want to be the 1.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
This is true. You don't see too many talking about "Which will be the first 2-seed to fall?".

If we're going to be a 2, I want Gonzaga to be the 1 and obviously I want us to be in the West. If that's not going to happen, then I want to be the 1.
Yep.

And hopefully the committee throws us a bone and makes Nova our 2 seed lol
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You should want a 1-seed anywhere over a 2-seed in the west.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Wouldn't the fact we travel $o well help us get the 1 $eed.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Longhorned wrote:You should want a 1-seed anywhere over a 2-seed in the west.
Why?
Machina

Post by Machina »

CBCat wrote:Wouldn't the fact we travel $o well help us get the 1 $eed.
Not saying you are wrong, but I don't see how the two relate to each other at this moment. Could you go into more detail why you think this?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:
Why?
Longhorned really liked watching us play in front of Illinois' home crowd in '05.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Arizona would take over the Honda Center in Anaheim if they stay out west.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Merkin wrote:Arizona would take over the Honda Center in Anaheim if they stay out west.
It's true. But that doesn't matter at all.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Unless, we fall apart over the next 6 weeks, we are either getting the #1 or #2 seed in the West. And there is no difference between them.

There really should not be any drama for AZ fans on Selection Sunday.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Alieberman wrote:Unless, we fall apart over the next 6 weeks, we are either getting the #1 or #2 seed in the West. And there is no difference between them.

Just based on the ESPN bracket,they'd get West Virginia in the Sweet 16 and we'd get Louisville...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Main Event wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Unless, we fall apart over the next 6 weeks, we are either getting the #1 or #2 seed in the West. And there is no difference between them.

Just based on the ESPN bracket,they'd get West Virginia in the Sweet 16 and we'd get Louisville...
I'll worry about matchups when they are actually announced. Years like this year and last, there are really no needs to look at any bracketologists projections. Waste of time.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

I know there are some Lunardi haters out there, but I thought this was pretty interesting:
Formerly McLurvin
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

TheBlackLodge wrote:I know there are some Lunardi haters out there, but I thought this was pretty interesting:
Nice that he has that opinion, but he's wrong.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Olsondogg wrote:
TheBlackLodge wrote:I know there are some Lunardi haters out there, but I thought this was pretty interesting:
You really think we don't re-jump Zaga if we win out?

I'm fairly certain we would.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
You really think we don't re-jump Zaga if we win out?

I'm fairly certain we would.
Well first off, I don't think we are winning out this year. Strange to say, and probably read from Odogg...

Secondly, I think that the Zags will win out, and everyone considers their one loss a toss up anyway. We have two "bad" losses already.

I guess if we won the tourney in Vegas I could think differently...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Olsondogg wrote:
Why?
It's better to face a 4-seed anywhere than a 3-seed in PST. 1-seeds draw a clear path to the Elite Eight. If you get to the Elite Eight as a 2-seed, chances are you're playing a 1-seed. I can't think of a potential 1-seed this year that I want to play before the Final Four.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Why?
It's better to face a 4-seed anywhere than a 3-seed in PST. 1-seeds draw a clear path to the Elite Eight. If you get to the Elite Eight as a 2-seed, chances are you're playing a 1-seed. I can't think of a potential 1-seed this year that I want to play before the Final Four.

You don't think Arizona could beat Gonzaga again in Anaheim?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Longhorned wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Why?
I get this logic, I do. I just don't see any more comfort playing a 2 versus a 1, or playing a 4 versus a 3.

I mean, Wisconsin was a 2 last year...did it matter?

As for this year, I would not want to play Virginia. I don't really want to see us play Wisconsin or the Zags again...outside of those teams I don't care what potential 1/2 seed we'd have to face. In the tourney, you have to beat good teams at some point.

Oh and I don't want to play SDSU again. I'm just tired of that game.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Why?

You don't think Arizona could beat Gonzaga again in Anaheim?
With all the blood that's in my veins, and with all the gravy in my brains, I don't believe that Gonzaga is making it to any Elite Eight. A 1-seed is wasted on them. They gave a fledgling Arizona team a game in November, but elite teams are forged in the course of conference play. Gonzaga won't have beaten any good teams by the time March gets here. In Lunardi's current bracket, they'd lose to NC State or WVU or whatever, while Arizona would have to get past Louisville in the lower part of the bracket. Yes, I think Arizona would beat Gonzaga, but I don't think Gonzaga will get there for that opportunity. Give them the 2-seed they deserve and let them get out-toughed by a poor-shooting Louisville team.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

If Az doesn't get a 1 seed the only 1 seed I don't want is Kentucky.
cpt

Post by cpt »

Olsondogg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Why?

As for this year, I would not want to play Virginia. .
I would love to play Virginia. I saw that Duke game on Saturday and was not impressed - at all.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm curious: which team out there, besides UK, scares you for March?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Golden State
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

Longhorned wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Why?
Yep. Would always rather see a 4 seed in the Sweet 16 than a 3 seed assuming form holds, especially this year when I think there's a fair gap between the Top 10-12 teams and the next tier based on what I've watched. Just to use Lunardi's latest bracket as an example, it would mean the difference between playing Iowa State, North Carolina, Notre Dame or Louisville -- or -- VCU, West Virginia, Maryland or Utah. Easy call. I'd take a #1 seed with, say, a Portland/Houston path over the #2 seed in the West.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

1.Kansas
2.Kentucky
3.Virginia
4.Arizona

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball ... etball-rpi

Just keep doing what you do and it'll come
gumby

Post by gumby »

Olsondogg wrote:I want a 2 seed for this team, in the west. Yeah I said a 2.
I'll go with the odds: 1 seed. And if we win out, it is ours. People get too freaked out about the most recent game or the most recent tournament.

http://bracketodds.cs.illinois.edu/F4.html

Total appearances since 1985:

1 seed: 48
2 seed: 26
3 seed: 14
4 seed: 13

Rest: Single digits. Last year? Bad example: First time a 7 seed made it.

Must be reasons for these results. But if you want to stick with "feelings" and magical thinking, OK.
Right where I want to be.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Why a fan would not want their team to be the best in college sports is something I would never understand.

Just a lot of loser talk like flying under the radar is a good thing or worrying about what 18-23 year old men wear or blaming refs or other outside factors for losses.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Thanks Machina for setting everyone straight on how they should think and what is and is not "loser talk".

Ready to tell everyone about the time Sean Miller blamed the fans for a loss? Or would that be more "loser talk"?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is anyone else sort of irritated that Miller hasn't won the Pac tourney yet? We haven't won the damn thing since '02!! Sorta feel like winning it this year could be our final argument for a #1 seed, especially if we only lose one more reg season game.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Beachcat97 wrote:Is anyone else sort of irritated that Miller hasn't won the Pac tourney yet? We haven't won the damn thing since '02!! Sorta feel like winning it this year could be our final argument for a #1 seed, especially if we only lose one more reg season game.
Extremely, but it is what it is at this point. Just look forward at this point.

But yes the Cats will be a 1 seed if they only drop one more game.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Machina wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Is anyone else sort of irritated that Miller hasn't won the Pac tourney yet? We haven't won the damn thing since '02!! Sorta feel like winning it this year could be our final argument for a #1 seed, especially if we only lose one more reg season game.
Extremely, but it is what it is at this point. Just look forward at this point.

But yes the Cats will be a 1 seed if they only drop one more game.
I think we're a 2 seed (or even a 3, depending on what other teams are doing) if we fail to win the Pac tourney, given how weak the Pac is this year. A lot of the teams in play for 2 seeds are trending upward right now.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Teams that can compete for a 1 or 2 seed besides Gonzaga and Kentucky with number of games against top teams remaining. Does not consider conference tournaments.

Wisconsin 2
Virginia 2
Duke 3
Villanova 2
Louisville 3
Norte Dame 2
Iowa State 5
Kansas 5

Arizona 1

Cats win out or lose 1 more, they are a #1 seed.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Machina wrote:Teams that can compete for a 1 or 2 seed besides Gonzaga and Kentucky with number of games against top teams remaining. Does not consider conference tournaments.

Wisconsin 2
Virginia 2
Duke 3
Villanova 2
Louisville 3
Norte Dame 2
Iowa State 5
Kansas 5

Arizona 1

Disagree. If we lose in the Pac tourney, and Gonzaga wins out, they're the #1 in the West, and we're the 2.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Machina wrote:Teams that can compete for a 1 or 2 seed besides Gonzaga and Kentucky with number of games against top teams remaining. Does not consider conference tournaments.

Wisconsin 2
Virginia 2
Duke 3
Villanova 2
Louisville 3
Norte Dame 2
Iowa State 5
Kansas 5

Arizona 1

Disagree. If we lose in the Pac tourney, and Gonzaga wins out, they're the #1 in the West, and we're the 2.
Perhaps you are right, but then the Cats would likely be the #1 in the South.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Machina wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Wisconsin 2
Virginia 2
Duke 3
Villanova 2
Louisville 3
Norte Dame 2
Iowa State 5
Kansas 5

Arizona 1

I'd rather be the 2 in the West than the 1 in the South, but that's just me.

I think the point is that Gonzaga has greater control over their tourney seed than we do, however slightly.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Machina wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Wisconsin 2
Virginia 2
Duke 3
Villanova 2
Louisville 3
Norte Dame 2
Iowa State 5
Kansas 5

Arizona 1

I'd rather be the 2 in the West than the 1 in the South, but that's just me.

I think the point is that Gonzaga has greater control over their tourney seed than we do, however slightly.
Fair enough but if both Gonzaga and Arizona win out, Arizona would be the #1 in the West according to Joe L.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Lutardi is far from accurate. Especially at this point in a season. I am just awaiting for ESPN to go to the live Skype shot of him sitting with his box of tissues in a jizz filled hotel room.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Eagerly waiting?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Apparently, according to Luke Winn of SI, Arizona (and 'Tah) are 2 of 8 schools that could win it all.

He has Wichita State on the list too...

I guess seeds don't matter at all guys.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bill Walton says seeds matter,
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

He touched the ball, he touched the ball, he touched the ball, in other words, he touched the ball...
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

gumby wrote:Bill Walton says seeds matter,
:lol:
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

If we're in the West, it doesn't matter whether we're the 1 or the 2. Staples will be absolutely out of control - which is a much better situation as the 2 than as a 1 playing in Houston.
I've already got my request in for the suite so we better stay out West.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

legallykenny wrote:If we're in the West, it doesn't matter whether we're the 1 or the 2. Staples will be absolutely out of control - which is a much better situation as the 2 than as a 1 playing in Houston.
I've already got my request in for the suite so we better stay out West.
I get what you're saying at a balls-to-the-walls emotional level. But it does matter because after selecting the field, the committee's charge is to seed teams by agreed-upon measures of relative strength, and then to bracket those teams to give the higher seeds an easier path to the Final Four than lower seeded teams get. The statistics reflect the greater success enjoyed by higher seeded teams. Arizona fans will be out of control regardless.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

If the Cats win at Utah and ultimately win out in the regular season, as long as they make it to the Pac 12 tourny title game, I still think they are the #1 in the West. Keeping things short (we all know the arguments for us and against Gonzaga), if the aforementioned happens, I see Gonzaga still being a 1 seed but being in the south. Pretty much half of their wins are against the RPI 151+, 2/3 are 100+ and that will not get any better as time passes.

Kind of like, yea, we will give you your one seed, but we aint gonna make it easy on you. Last year Wichita St got their 1 seed, but in an absolutely brutal bracket.