No More Freshmans!!!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

3goggles

No More Freshmans!!!

Post by 3goggles »

This would be interesting to say the least!

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Report-NCAA-c ... --35622372
84Cat

Re: No More Freshmans!!!

Post by 84Cat »

Larry Scott proves once again that he is unfit to be a conference commissioner.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

They'll all go to Europe or Asia and D League meaning the college game never glimpses the elite of the elite talents.

How is that good for business?

Two-year/20 is the right and only sensible way to go to find balance, to reinforce education. It maybe weeds out the one or two Jennings/Mudiays each year, but I think even studs like Okafor, Stanley, etc would stay/play 2 years if required.

This coupled with draft allowances similar to MLB draft allowing non-1sts the right to go back to school and re-enter to improve draft stock, and allowing players to capilalize on own celebrity for pocket money, and I think you'll get strong results yearly.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Does two-year/20 require NBA cooperation?
Right where I want to be.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

It's all talk, smoke and mirrors.

These are just designed to put pressure on the NBA to implement the 2 year rule.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

gumby wrote:Does two-year/20 require NBA cooperation?
Yeah, but it's happening. The Players Association just needs to sign off, and I've been told they genuinely don't care about it, but won't just yield a bargaining chip.

But I'm convinced it will happen.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

84Cat wrote:Larry Scott proves once again that he is unfit to be a conference commissioner.
Maybe but this is just a public statement to get the nbapa to agree to a 20/2 year rule.

Larry sucks though
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

JMarkJohns wrote:
gumby wrote:Does two-year/20 require NBA cooperation?
Yeah, but it's happening. The Players Association just needs to sign off, and I've been told they genuinely don't care about it, but won't just yield a bargaining chip.

But I'm convinced it will happen.
Sure hope so. That would be the best.
gumby

Post by gumby »

PHXCATS wrote:
84Cat wrote:Larry Scott proves once again that he is unfit to be a conference commissioner.
Maybe but this is just a public statement to get the nbapa to agree to a 20/2 year rule.

Larry sucks though
Right, and Bowlsby said it, too. Big Ten. Glad for this rhetoric and, hopefully, movement in this direction.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Remember when Lew Alcindor's UCLA freshmen team beat the UCLA varsity team?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

JMarkJohns wrote:They'll all go to Europe or Asia and D League meaning the college game never glimpses the elite of the elite talents.

Two-year/20 is the right and only sensible way to go to find balance, to reinforce education. It maybe weeds out the one or two Jennings/Mudiays each year, but I think even studs like Okafor, Stanley, etc would stay/play 2 years if required.

This coupled with draft allowances similar to MLB draft allowing non-1sts the right to go back to school and re-enter to improve draft stock, and allowing players to capilalize on own celebrity for pocket money, and I think you'll get strong results yearly.
Wouldn't the 2/20 rule force kids to Europe too?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

3goggles wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:They'll all go to Europe or Asia and D League meaning the college game never glimpses the elite of the elite talents.

Wouldn't the 2/20 rule force kids to Europe too?
One of two, maybe (hence why I referenced the Jennings/Mudiays). But two years is no where near the issue freshman ineligibity is. No elite athlete will sit and not play for an entire year while taking classes. If they can play/star, then they are far more likely to play in college, even if required for two years. Those who can't make grades or who need cash fast, they'll always go overseas, even if just a 1-year/19 rule. I don't care about them because they are never stepping foot on campus without clouds of ineligibility and impropriety anyways. So force them to go, but keep the good kids, good students who happen to be elite, and establish parameters that allow them to cash in on celebrity and that can keep them in school longer if drafted outside 1st round.

I've discussed my rule on returning draftees.

With 2nd-round contracts, the year, the price total is negotiable. Let's say a player dislikes his years/price, so he returns to college to improve signing stock as a junior with original drafting team retaining his rights. If he still doesn't sign as a junior, and he graduates from school, he is now eligible to re-enter the draft to be drafted by a differnt team, maybe as a 1st with longer tenure and higher price of guarantees money.

With incentives, this gives drafting team rights for a year or two for early entrees, and rewards kids for getting their degree by having more control. This with allowances on benefits from own celebrity will keep many kids in school longer, even with a two year minimum.