loomer

Re: #2

Post by loomer »

And Gonzaga may lose tonight...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If gonzaga loses and we find a way to finish 5-0...we could get that 1 seed
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Parrish has us at #6 right behind Wisconsin. I would say that the UA and UW records are similar, but that Rutgers loss is startling. 10-19 overall and since they beat Wiscy they've lost 12 straight. Also, they have a home loss, albeit to Duke. I'd have UA slightly ahead of them right now but I can understand if people look at Kaminsky and the results from last year in their calculations.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
eoe

Post by eoe »

Nice piece by Gasaway on why Arizona is better than most anyone realizes:
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college ... basketball

IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Chicat wrote:Parrish has us at #6 right behind Wisconsin. I would say that the UA and UW records are similar, but that Rutgers loss is startling. 10-19 overall and since they beat Wiscy they've lost 12 straight. Also, they have a home loss, albeit to Duke. I'd have UA slightly ahead of them right now but I can understand if people look at Kaminsky and the results from last year in their calculations.
The Rutgers loss was when Kaminsky was not playing, so I would take that with a grain of salt. They don't have a deep bench, but as many have said on here, "a deep bench is overrated." When Kaminsky, Hayes & Dekker are all playing, this Badgers team is hard to beat.

That being said. I think we have a better shot to make it to Indy. That is all.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

eoe wrote:Nice piece by Gasaway on why Arizona is better than most anyone realizes:
Why you should stop worrying about offense and appreciate Arizona

I'm not sure why Arizona has been languishing, relatively speaking, at No. 7 in the polls, but I do know I don't buy it. Or more precisely, the Wildcats are far stronger than your average No. 7-ranked team in your average season.

Sean Miller's men have outscored the Pac-12 by 0.27 points per possession, the same margin by which Kentucky has outscored the SEC. Conversely, last season everyone seemed properly respectful of an Arizona team that was "just" (ha) 0.17 points better than the rest of the Pac-12 on each possession. That group of Wildcats was given a No. 1 seed and came within a single possession of the Final Four.

Miller justly enjoys a reputation for coaching exceptionally strong defensive teams, but one aspect of this particular Arizona team that likely hasn't been talked up enough is its ability to force turnovers. Pac-12 opponents have given the ball away on 21 percent of their possessions to the Wildcats. That's nowhere near the percentages posted by the likes of West Virginia (forcing turnovers on 26 percent of Big 12 opponents' possessions) or VCU (24 percent in A-10 play), but within the context of an Arizona defense that also protects the rim and is absolutely dominant on the glass, an opponent turnover rate of 21 percent is excellent.

True, on the other side of the ball I'm hearing it said that the worry with Arizona is whether this team can score enough. Well, not to be repetitious, but I'm not sure I buy that either. First and most fundamentally, you can't outscore a major conference by a huge, borderline historic margin like 0.27 points per trip without both your defense and your offense being excellent.

Second and more specifically, this may be the best 2-point shooting team I've ever seen that has somehow caused people to fret about its scoring. The Wildcats have connected on 51.9 percent of their 2s in Pac-12 play. To draw another comparison to the No. 1-ranked team in the country, that's pretty much what we've seen from Kentucky in SEC play (51.4).

No, Miller's guys don't light up the scoreboard from the perimeter, but T.J. McConnell and Gabe York are legitimate 3-point threats who have combined to shoot 39 percent from beyond the arc in conference play. It turns out that Arizona's low team percentage against Pac-12 opponents (33 percent) is in large part the statistical residue of Stanley Johnson trying to display a needed skill to the next level. That team percentage does not, however, indicate that Miller lacks the personnel to make 3s.

Besides, this is an outstanding offensive rebounding team, one that's pulled down 37 percent of its misses in league play. Guys like Johnson, Brandon Ashley, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Kaleb Tarczewski don't have eye-popping individual offensive rebounding percentages -- but that's because they have to compete with one another for every rebound. Cumulatively speaking, this is a team that has shown it can erase its own misses in a highly effective manner.

Winning the second game of a two-game road swing at high altitude against an opponent as strong as Utah (which was previously undefeated at home) is arguably one of the most impressive victories recorded by any team in the nation this season. I realize there are more national championship-caliber teams than there are available No. 1 seeds this season, and you can worry about this Arizona offense if you wish. But everything I'm seeing tells me this group of Wildcats may be even better than the top-seeded team that came out of Tucson last season.
The last part was bolded for emphasis, because this is exactly how I feel about this year's team.
Formerly McLurvin
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

If someone tells you something about Arizona's offense being poor, then you should stop listening to that person
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

TheBlackLodge wrote:
eoe wrote:Nice piece by Gasaway on why Arizona is better than most anyone realizes:
Why you should stop worrying about offense and appreciate Arizona

I'm not sure why Arizona has been languishing, relatively speaking, at No. 7 in the polls, but I do know I don't buy it. Or more precisely, the Wildcats are far stronger than your average No. 7-ranked team in your average season.

Sean Miller's men have outscored the Pac-12 by 0.27 points per possession, the same margin by which Kentucky has outscored the SEC. Conversely, last season everyone seemed properly respectful of an Arizona team that was "just" (ha) 0.17 points better than the rest of the Pac-12 on each possession. That group of Wildcats was given a No. 1 seed and came within a single possession of the Final Four.

Miller justly enjoys a reputation for coaching exceptionally strong defensive teams, but one aspect of this particular Arizona team that likely hasn't been talked up enough is its ability to force turnovers. Pac-12 opponents have given the ball away on 21 percent of their possessions to the Wildcats. That's nowhere near the percentages posted by the likes of West Virginia (forcing turnovers on 26 percent of Big 12 opponents' possessions) or VCU (24 percent in A-10 play), but within the context of an Arizona defense that also protects the rim and is absolutely dominant on the glass, an opponent turnover rate of 21 percent is excellent.

True, on the other side of the ball I'm hearing it said that the worry with Arizona is whether this team can score enough. Well, not to be repetitious, but I'm not sure I buy that either. First and most fundamentally, you can't outscore a major conference by a huge, borderline historic margin like 0.27 points per trip without both your defense and your offense being excellent.

Second and more specifically, this may be the best 2-point shooting team I've ever seen that has somehow caused people to fret about its scoring. The Wildcats have connected on 51.9 percent of their 2s in Pac-12 play. To draw another comparison to the No. 1-ranked team in the country, that's pretty much what we've seen from Kentucky in SEC play (51.4).

No, Miller's guys don't light up the scoreboard from the perimeter, but T.J. McConnell and Gabe York are legitimate 3-point threats who have combined to shoot 39 percent from beyond the arc in conference play. It turns out that Arizona's low team percentage against Pac-12 opponents (33 percent) is in large part the statistical residue of Stanley Johnson trying to display a needed skill to the next level. That team percentage does not, however, indicate that Miller lacks the personnel to make 3s.

Besides, this is an outstanding offensive rebounding team, one that's pulled down 37 percent of its misses in league play. Guys like Johnson, Brandon Ashley, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Kaleb Tarczewski don't have eye-popping individual offensive rebounding percentages -- but that's because they have to compete with one another for every rebound. Cumulatively speaking, this is a team that has shown it can erase its own misses in a highly effective manner.

Winning the second game of a two-game road swing at high altitude against an opponent as strong as Utah (which was previously undefeated at home) is arguably one of the most impressive victories recorded by any team in the nation this season. I realize there are more national championship-caliber teams than there are available No. 1 seeds this season, and you can worry about this Arizona offense if you wish. But everything I'm seeing tells me this group of Wildcats may be even better than the top-seeded team that came out of Tucson last season.
The last part was bolded for emphasis, because this is exactly how I feel about this year's team.
I think we forgot that last years team was 2 minute burst from NJ from being bounced in sweet 16 by sdsu. I think we want to over hype last years team because they were very likable. I think the ceiling is high for this team!
cpt

Post by cpt »

Much rather be a 2 in Nova's or UVA's bracket than a 1 in Wisconsin's or Duke's.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I really don't know why everyone is worried about Duke?

They aren't making it out of their regional.
cpt

Post by cpt »

I hate to say it but Duke is legit. Winslow, Okafor and Cook are all peaking. I would say Wisconsin is clearly the second best team but Duke is right there and we are just behind them. Our offense is what holds us back from being higher.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

duke is good, but they don't have a great defense. first team they run into that has a good to great offense could potentially knock them out.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

cpt wrote:I hate to say it but Duke is legit. Winslow, Okafor and Cook are all peaking. I would say Wisconsin is clearly the second best team but Duke is right there and we are just behind them. Our offense is what holds us back from being higher.
Peaking offensively, yes.

Defensively...currently #70 in the nation in AdjD. They are not going to be winning shit this year.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Duke's defense is sh*t.

You guys on the west coast are believing the hype because thats what the media is feeding you. I watch Duke a lot due to proximity and thats whats on TV and I love college BB in general. But they are going to have problems first decent D they come up against. Hell UNC took them to the wire last week and that team is garbage.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I believe Arizona's defense can lock down any offense in the country. Yes, even Kentucky's.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

7 of the 30 bracketmatrix brackets that have been updated today have us as a 1 seed.
eoe

Post by eoe »

I've watched a number of Duke games and they are without a doubt a quality team...offensively. A team with good bigs, strong D, and length on the wings will wipe the floor with them (relatively).

Okafor is a load with incredible feet, but if you can guard him effectively with one guy, their perimeter game suffers big time. Teams with elite post D and depth (ie. Arizona) can handle the Blue Devils. Until UNC and Duke field strong D's, they'll continue to lose against inferior teams with less talent and deservedly so.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

eoe wrote:I've watched a number of Duke games and they are without a doubt a quality team...offensively. A team with good bigs, strong D, and length on the wings will wipe the floor with them (relatively).

Okafor is a load with incredible feet, but if you can guard him effectively with one guy, their perimeter game suffers big time. Teams with elite post D and depth (ie. Arizona) can handle the Blue Devils. Until UNC and Duke field strong D's, they'll continue to lose against inferior teams with less talent and deservedly so.
I would really prefer to avoid Okafor, but I'd greatly prefer Duke over Wisconsin. Kaminsky is the nation's hardest player to guard, imo.
eoe

Post by eoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:
eoe wrote:I've watched a number of Duke games and they are without a doubt a quality team...offensively. A team with good bigs, strong D, and length on the wings will wipe the floor with them (relatively).

I would really prefer to avoid Okafor, but I'd greatly prefer Duke over Wisconsin. Kaminsky is the nation's hardest player to guard, imo.
When it comes down to it, we will face incredible players at some stage, worrying about who those exact players are is a waste of energy. Okafor and Kaminsky are both impressive prospects.
gumby

Post by gumby »

No. 5, AP. Jumped Wisky. Respect.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

No. 6, Coaches. They don't watch.

Right where I want to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:No. 5, AP. Jumped Wisky. Respect.

No. 6, Coaches. They don't watch.

Wisconsin lost more recently and has a much worse loss. Jumping them is correct. The SIDs need to get their shit together.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Just curious: do the polls really matter at this point? If we win two games this week and win the Pac tourney next week, the coaches could rank us 7th, and we're still going to be the #1 or #2 in the West.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote:Just curious: do the polls really matter at this point? If we win two games this week and win the Pac tourney next week, the coaches could rank us 7th, and we're still going to be the #1 or #2 in the West.
I believe that RPI carries more weight with the committee.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Just curious: do the polls really matter at this point? If we win two games this week and win the Pac tourney next week, the coaches could rank us 7th, and we're still going to be the #1 or #2 in the West.
And RPI does not include poll rankings, right?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
And RPI does not include poll rankings, right?
I have no idea what goes into the RPI.
gumby

Post by gumby »

They don't matter at any point as far as seeding. It's a matter of perception and respect. Plus, they prove the media are smarter than "coaches" (SIDs). Not that that was ever controversial. :D

Since this is a thread about the rankings, I put it here. Instead of Bracketology.
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Outside of him having an off night, from what I have seen, Kentucky is the only team i have seen that can effectively guard Okafor with one player. With us, he will give Tarc fits and Bash fits. You have to double/show double and have help ready. He gets the ball in deep and you are in trouble no matter what. I havent seen his "off game" ive been thoroughly impressed every game I have seen Duke play
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

rgdeuce wrote:

Outside of him having an off night, from what I have seen, Kentucky is the only team i have seen that can effectively guard Okafor with one player. With us, he will give Tarc fits and Bash fits. You have to double/show double and have help ready. He gets the ball in deep and you are in trouble no matter what. I havent seen his "off game" ive been thoroughly impressed every game I have seen Duke play

Okafor is good. He also has the advantage of being able to use his size, without fear of an immediate whistle.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Olsondogg wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

Okafor is good. He also has the advantage of being able to use his size, without fear of an immediate whistle.
Maybe in the tourney he'll get to experience PAC-12 refs.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Per Kenpom this morning...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Olsondogg wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

Yea I mentioned that in another thread. He gets away with A LOT. He frequently lowers his shoulder and just bulls post defenders over/or back to create space and finishes. 80's and 90's Big East style.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
That is funny, and I actually think it is defensible.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Small consolation, but ESPN "experts" thought we ended the season at #4 as well: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... errankings
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That is a nice small consolation. And Kentucky would still get my vote for #1.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

We finished in the "FINAL FOUR" does that count as making the final four?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If Villanova hadn't been overseeded from playing in a weaker conference, it would have been a different situation. We just got no favors by getting a final four matchup in the Elite Eight.

It is over, and it's nothing but window dressing now.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

It was clear as day that UK, Wisc, AZ, and either Duke/Nova were the top-4 teams heading into the tourney. But noooo, AZ got the shaft once again and ran into horrible luck vers Wisconsin. Duke and a Nova got the benefit over AZ (and Wisc really somehow), and our final four drought continues. And whaddya know, the final top-4 rankings anywhere you look still includes AZ. Seriously, fuck everyone that was on the committee this year.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

pokinmik wrote:It was clear as day that UK, Wisc, AZ, and either Duke/Nova were the top-4 teams heading into the tourney. But noooo, AZ got the shaft once again and ran into horrible luck vers Wisconsin. Duke and a Nova got the benefit over AZ (and Wisc really somehow), and our final four drought continues. And whaddya know, the final top-4 rankings anywhere you look still includes AZ. Seriously, fuck everyone that was on the committee this year.
This exactly.

My response when the bracket came out was fuck the committee and that hasn't changed.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

That bracket did at least accomplish one thing: silence from anybody who still wonders why people think there's one standard for Duke and one for all other Division I teams.

I don't think, if the teams had been seeded fairly, Duke would have even gotten by Villanova out of its region. Politics and officiating are coming to have way too much influence on this tournament, to a level I'm not at all comfortable with.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Arizona with three awful losses did not deserve a 1 seed. And Duke was fairly seeded
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pokinmik wrote:It was clear as day that UK, Wisc, AZ, and either Duke/Nova were the top-4 teams heading into the tourney. But noooo, AZ got the shaft once again and ran into horrible luck vers Wisconsin. Duke and a Nova got the benefit over AZ (and Wisc really somehow), and our final four drought continues. And whaddya know, the final top-4 rankings anywhere you look still includes AZ. Seriously, fuck everyone that was on the committee this year.
Even pre-tourney, I don't know who could have seriously contended that Nova would beat us or Wisky head to head.

Oh, I saw Machina posted, and it is ridiculous.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Machina wrote:Arizona with three awful losses did not deserve a 1 seed. And Duke was fairly seeded
Over Arizona, which did what Duke did not and win its conference and conference tournament. Uh-huh.

Machina and Salty are inventing a new type of board poster that defies troll attributes.
Machina

Post by Machina »

catgrad97 wrote:
Machina wrote:Arizona with three awful losses did not deserve a 1 seed. And Duke was fairly seeded
Over Arizona, which did what Duke did not and win its conference and conference tournament. Uh-huh.

Machina and Salty are inventing a new type of board poster that defies troll attributes.
Duke had 0 bad losses to U of A's 3. U of A had three times as many bad losses as Kentucky Duke Virginia Wisconsin Villanova and Gonzaga combined. The only bad loss in that mix was when Frank was hurt.

Duke had the players and wins and no bad losses. Arizona had that but the losses. The tournament and regular season title kept Arizona in the west which should have been a benefit
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:

Nova lost to Seton Hall and got blown out by Georgetown. Duke got smoked by NCSU and Miami and lost to ND twice.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Machina wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:

Duke had 0 bad losses to U of A's 3. U of A had three times as many bad losses as Kentucky Duke Virginia Wisconsin Villanova and Gonzaga combined. The only bad loss in that mix was when Frank was hurt.

Duke had the players and wins and no bad losses. Arizona had that but the losses. The tournament and regular season title kept Arizona in the west which should have been a benefit
You don't consider Duke getting whipped by Miami at home a bad loss? Cool story.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

catgrad97 wrote:That bracket did at least accomplish one thing: silence from anybody who still wonders why people think there's one standard for Duke and one for all other Division I teams.

I don't think, if the teams had been seeded fairly, Duke would have even gotten by Villanova out of its region. Politics and officiating are coming to have way too much influence on this tournament, to a level I'm not at all comfortable with.
I'm all for the idea that we got screwed by the committee. But that Duke team BLOWS Villanova out of the water, and if you think differently I don't know what the fuck you were watching all season. Duke beat Utah, Gonzaga, and Wisconsin. To discredit them is simply ridiculous.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Machina wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:

You don't consider Duke getting whipped by Miami at home a bad loss? Cool story.
RPI wise it was not nearly as bad as ASU UNLV or OSU
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Machina wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Machina wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:

RPI wise it was not nearly as bad as ASU UNLV or OSU
GTFO using RPI....what is this 1998?