let's talk '15

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EVCat

Re: let's talk '15

Post by EVCat »

We are right where I want to be with Ivan Rabb.

(which means nothing to anyone here. But I am optimistic for reasons known to me. I wish great health for our players this year so they may pursue their NBA dreams as appropriate)
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Package deal. I'm surprised Zagoria didn't mention it overtly.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Can you pick me up a penis mightier while you're there?
If it really works I'll buy a dozen of them!
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

We are so solid next year that any of these guys will be privileged to join our team.

Tarc - Ristic
Ashley - Anderson
Smith
Trier/york/pitts/kadeem
PJC - simon

We are back court stocked to the brim. Rabb or swanigan would be nice to add to the front court but even then they will competing for playing time. Zeus and Ashley are both better suited to return next year and because they aren't Grant Jerrett dumb, they probably will.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

luteformayor2 wrote:We are so solid next year that any of these guys will be privileged to join our team.

Tarc - Ristic
Ashley - Anderson
Smith
Trier/york/pitts/kadeem
PJC - simon

We are back court stocked to the brim. Rabb or swanigan would be nice to add to the front court but even then they will competing for playing time. Zeus and Ashley are both better suited to return next year and because they aren't Grant Jerrett dumb, they probably will.
Don't forget Chance Commanche.

Not sure if BAsh and Tarc are staying though. Both would have been better leaving last year. Tarc's small hands and T Rex arms have really been exposed.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

All things remaining as they are right now? Brandon will be looking for a new place to lay his head in October 2015.

But you never know what can happen with over a month left to play. I hope Brandon stays healthy, his foot keeps getting better, and makes his dreams into reality. We'll be OK...the program is in good hands, and the players needed to replace Brandon are waiting in the wings (pun intended). Our program is so healthy in part because of Brandon's contributions, and I hope his 3 years in Tucson are rewarded with a fulfilling professional career...after ensuring himself a lifetime of Tucson love with a trophy and net from Indy, of course :)

We are in this position where silly people can question whether Sean Miller should be our coach because of so many great kids who donned the Red and Blue. KP, DWill, yeah, you too Momo, Jessie Perry, Jordin Mayes fighting through struggles to remain a productive member of the team, Aaron Gordon teaching freshmen everywhere how to be a superstar nationally AND a team player, Nick Johnson and his leadership, the kid from Duquesne who starred in a new chapter of the Point Guard U story, Bash's contributions to an undefeated team as a dominant force, and the work he put forth to make sure he could get back as soon as possible, Rondae's smile, shimmy, and standout defense, Stanley's insane body control around the rim, and so on, and so on...

I think Zeus could come back, but the natural flow of things would see Rondae and Brandon go to make their dreams come true, with the next wave stepping up, or signing on the LOI dotted line, to continue the story. The actions lead to the reactions that keep this cycle building.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Merkin wrote:Don't forget Chance Commanche.

Not sure if BAsh and Tarc are staying though. Both would have been better leaving last year. Tarc's small hands and T Rex arms have really been exposed.
Now I know why I suck so bad at hoops.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I know what I am about to say sounds crazy. I think Rondae should take the money and enter the draft but I get a feeling like he is going to stay. He is the guy that is always doing activities with the students and fans. Its a weird feeling but I think he enjoys being a kid and crazy. Most likely I am wrong though.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Merkin wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:We are so solid next year that any of these guys will be privileged to join our team.

Tarc - Ristic
Ashley - Anderson
Smith
Trier/york/pitts/kadeem
PJC - simon

Don't forget Chance Commanche.

No way both Brash and Zeus stay. I'd say it's more likely Zeus, but I'd be surprised if either are on this team next year.

As for Comanche....dude's not gonna contribute next year. He needs time, and we are going to have to be patient with him. Luckily we have Ristic and Anderson to hold it down, and maybe some guy w/ the initials IR?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cats have 4 coming in: Trier, Commanche, Smith, and Simon.

Cats are only required to lose 2, TJ and Korcheck.

That leaves 2 more who have to go.

Stanley is a one and done, and from what I have read here, RHJ is definitely gone.

Then there is Rabb...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:Cats have 4 coming in: Trier, Commanche, Smith, and Simon.

Stanley is a one and done, and from what I have read here, RHJ is definitely gone.

Then there is Rabb...
I don't think Bash is coming back, and I'm not sure if Kadeem will stick around. If either of them leave, we've got room for Rabb.

But of course, we have room for Rabb no matter what. These things always have worked themselves out and always will. There's no way that everyone outside of TJ, Korcheck, RHJ, and Stanley stay.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

#firstworldproblems
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:

Then there is Rabb...
I don't think Bash is coming back, and I'm not sure if Kadeem will stick around. If either of them leave, we've got room for Rabb.

But of course, we have room for Rabb no matter what. These things always have worked themselves out and always will. There's no way that everyone outside of TJ, Korcheck, RHJ, and Stanley stay.
I have wondered this year about Kadeem.

I imagine York will backup PJC as PG, no idea how Simon will do as a true frosh, but York will still start at the 2. Pitts will be behind York, which puts Allen 3rd on the depth chart at the 2G.

That has to be hard for the JC NPOY.

Have not heard anything about Kadeem in practice like we used to about TJ when he redshirtted.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Chicat wrote: I'm not sure if Kadeem will stick around.
WTF!? He better. I have him putting up 7ppg next year
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The other guy who could leave is Pitts. I'm literally just pulling stuff out of thin air on this, but when I look at the roster I don't see him getting more time next year nor do I see him being drastically more effective. He could be a starter on a number of teams so his transferring wouldn't be a huge shock.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

RHJ was tickling him on the bench last night...
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

RHJ is so gone it's not even funny. He's just enjoying the last few games as a cat.

Too bad we can't do Senior Day with Early Entrant day combined.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

az91 wrote:Hate to say it, but we might be better with Comanche and Rabb in the lineup than BAsh and Tarc.
No way. People get too caught up in freshman-hype. Bash and Zeus as seniors are likely going to be the best forward/center combo in America. People often discount and dismiss experience and development. That said, by most accounts, Ashley is going to probably declare for the draft. Tarc's status is more uncertain; he apparently is committed to his studies and may play one more season to improve his game and draft stock, as well as finish his degree -- it certainly is possible.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Then there is Rabb...
don't forget we already lost victor so that's a scholarship.

so that's 4 scholarships right there with just having korcheck, tj and victor gone and stanley assuredly going pro. and at least 1-2, maybe 3, of tarc, ashley, rondae, allen and pitts are gone.

we may end up with having 6-7 open scholarships. so come on down rabb and potentially someone else. nbadraft.net only has stanley and rondae in the first round with rondae being pick #30. have ashley being a mid 2nd rounded and zeus not at all. almost the same with draft express.

so (depending on what happens in the tournament and if someone blows up), i think we lose/lost already victor, tj, korcheck, johnson, rondae and either ashley or tarc. i think one of the two of ashley or tarc decides to come back for their senior year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

and as far as rabb, i wonder how his visit this weekend went? wonder if he was at the oregon game thursday or the oregon state game today. 247 sports still list him as a slight cal lean with it basically just being down to cal and arizona.

thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

I don't see a single starter returning. PF and C are the only positions remaining to address for depth. The team will be young and talented. Rabb would give us a decent shot at a F4.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

thenewazcats wrote:I don't see a single starter returning. PF and C are the only positions remaining to address for depth. The team will be young and talented. Rabb would give us a decent shot at a F4.
And that is the whole story on the Rabb wait. None of this nonsense about people saying Oakland Soldiers go to Arizona and him not liking it, and so on. Ivan had some home town sympathies but wanted to make sure there is a place for him at his number 1 choice. He is hearing there is legit front row seating on Flight 2016. He wants to see the flight passenger list before buying his ticket. Which is fair.

He really likes Arizona Air....
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Either way I doubt Rabb commits anywhere before the nba draft early entry deadline which is April 26. Might even be in May before he commits

97cats

Post by 97cats »

patience
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

As great as our two incoming guards are, it's hard to imagine either of them starting over PJC and GY. So I'm guessing our starting five looks like this next season:

PJC
GY
Smith
Anderson
Rabb

If Tarc or Ashley stays, wow. But like someone said upthread, I think our whole starting five is gone.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Beachcat97 wrote:As great as our two incoming guards are, it's hard to imagine either of them starting over PJC and GY. So I'm guessing our starting five looks like this next season:

PJC
GY
Smith
Anderson
Rabb

If Tarc or Ashley stays, wow. But like someone said upthread, I think our whole starting five is gone.
It is gonna be real hard to keep Trier from getting big minutes. I will go out on a limb and say he is probably the best pure scorer since Bayless.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

WildcatStunner wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:As great as our two incoming guards are, it's hard to imagine either of them starting over PJC and GY. So I'm guessing our starting five looks like this next season:

PJC
GY
Smith
Anderson
Rabb

It is gonna be real hard to keep Trier from getting big minutes. I will go out on a limb and say he is probably the best pure scorer since Bayless.
Then he'll be a damn good sixth man :) I just have a hard time seeing how Gabe will come off the bench as a senior.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
WildcatStunner wrote:

PJC
GY
Smith
Anderson
Rabb

Then he'll be a damn good sixth man :) I just have a hard time seeing how Gabe will come off the bench as a senior.
No offense to PJC but we are going to really, really miss TJ next year. So cool that we basically had him for his Senior and 5th Year Senior Years.....especially in this day and age of early departures. Additionally, I wonder if he comes back as a UA Coach after his pro career is over....

I like PJC but the kid is a bit too short and 'fragile' (maybe not the most accurate way to describe him seeing as how flagrant that foul was on him)......hope I'm wrong.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ASUHATER! wrote:and as far as rabb, i wonder how his visit this weekend went?
2 trips in 3 months? He was at An's with the team not that long ago
97cats wrote:patience
im giddy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PJC
GY
Smith
Anderson
Rabb

How many minutes did PJC get in the second half against Utah. Every team is going to exploit his height (or lack there of).

Simon lists at 6'5" (another JP Prince!) and has a 6'11" wingspan.

York is 6'3" and obviously more of a combo guard than true PG like TJ and PJC.

Also can't leave Trier off the court, a true scorer.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Merkin wrote:

PJC
GY
Smith
Anderson
Rabb

How many minutes did PJC get in the second half against Utah. Every team is going to exploit his height (or lack there of).

Simon lists at 6'5" (another JP Prince!) and has a 6'11" wingspan.

York is 6'3" and obviously more of a combo guard than true PG like TJ and PJC.

Also can't leave Trier off the court, a true scorer.
Looks like we have size diversity to play small against the right matchups at the right times. York plays bigger with his elevation, Simon has both the height and bad span, and Zo spans at 6'6". Throw in my man PJC and we have the sweet options!
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Jefe wrote:
im giddy
But where there any Oreo Cookies (organic, of course)?

More importantly, where does Momma want him to go?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Jefe wrote:
im giddy

Rabb visited Cal this past weekend.......not the UA.

The good news is he didn't commit.
Bangkok Wildcat

dmjcat wrote:
Jefe wrote:
im giddy

Rabb visited Cal this past weekend.......not the UA.

The good news is he didn't commit.
I just don't see him choosing Cal over UA......also, the fans at CalBearInsider are so delusional it's sad......C'mon YoungIvee make the right choice and BEAR DOWN!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

They seem to think there's a good chance they get rabb, swanigan and Thornton Jr.

Bangkok Wildcat

ASUHATER! wrote:They seem to think there's a good chance they get rabb, swanigan and Thornton Jr.
They must be smoking the really good stuff! ;-)
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

And the wooden tournament has Michigan state, Boise state, Boston college, providence, Santa Clara, uc Irvine and Evansville.

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azgreg wrote:
And what does this have to do with the 2015 recruiting class?
gumby

Post by gumby »

ASUHATER! wrote:And the wooden tournament has Michigan state, Boise state, Boston college, providence, Santa Clara, uc Irvine and Evansville.
So we could play Boise twice?
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

3goggles wrote:
azgreg wrote:
And what does this have to do with the 2015 recruiting class?
Something to talk about that's happening in 2015 while waiting for the next bit of recruiting news.
Right where I want to be.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

gumby wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:And the wooden tournament has Michigan state, Boise state, Boston college, providence, Santa Clara, uc Irvine and Evansville.
Seems like it. I've seen it happen before to teams.I remember a year or two ago when Oklahoma State I think played Clemson twice in 10 days or something like that

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Wooden Classic in what is basically a high school gym at Cal State Fullerton will be awesome
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

ASUHATER! wrote:
gumby wrote:
Seems like it. I've seen it happen before to teams.I remember a year or two ago when Oklahoma State I think played Clemson twice in 10 days or something like that
They played Memphis twice in like 2 weeks.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I feel like Boise is going to be pretty good next year.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That was groundbreaking news
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

There was a recent ESPN recruiting blurb that finished up with Goodman saying UA would be the best place for Zimmerman. Any chance?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:There was a recent ESPN recruiting blurb that finished up with Goodman saying UA would be the best place for Zimmerman. Any chance?
Nope, not really.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Ristic > Zimmerman