Damon wants to Coach

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Jefe

Damon wants to Coach

Post by Jefe »

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news/25 ... dy-to-lead
Stoudamire says he's ready to lead

Created on Saturday, 21 March 2015

Damon Stoudamire doesn't get to Portland often. Mostly, when he is recruiting for the University of Arizona. Not often, though, to see friends and relatives in his hometown.

"It feels good to be back, but it always feels weird, too," Stoudamire said at Moda Center after the Wildcats' second-round NCAA Tournament victory over Texas Southern.

"From the moment I didn't play for the Blazers, I felt weird coming back to Portland," says the former Wilson High and Trail Blazers point guard, now in his second year as an Arizona assistant. "Coming to the Rose Garden, to get on a bus and dress in the opposing locker room. … I'm still not used to it."

In his two seasons on the staff at Arizona, the Wildcats are 65-8, with back-to-back Pac-12 titles and an Elite Eight appearance — with another possible this year for the nation's fifth-ranked team.

"I've been fortunate to be in great situations," Stoudamire says. "When I was with Lionel, we were winning a lot. Then I go to the Tigers and we won big, and I come to Arizona. This is my third straight 30-win season. I've won a conference championship every year. I've been blessed in that way."

Stoudamire says he left the Grizzlies because he wanted to broaden his coaching horizons.

"I wanted to see what was going on with the college game," he says. "I wanted to be well-versed, and to try to figure out exactly what I was going to do. Going to college wasn't going to make or break me either way, because I had the experience at the NBA level.

"I feel like everything I came down here for I've been able to get. Not only that, I know more now than if I wouldn't have been in the pros. I knew the pro game. I played there for a long time. I know the difference. You become more valuable to pro teams with the college experience. I can tell them about the college game and the players who will become good pros. The kids leave school so fast, they don't have enough information about the kids. That was one of the reasons I wanted to coach in college."

Stoudamire has been instrumental in player development at Arizona, most notably with senior point guard T.J. McConnell, who made the all-Pac-12 and Pac-12 all-defensive teams this season.

"He has pretty much made me the point guard I am today, along with Coach Miller and my dad," McConnell says of Stoudamire. "He has taught me so many things about being a point guard. I'm the luckiest guy to have him as a coach.

"Glad we have a chance to let him come back home (to Portland)."

Stoudamire, 41, is clear about what he envisions to be the next step in his coaching career.

"Whether I go back to the pros or stay in college, I want to be a head coach," he says.

He says he had a couple of interviews for college head coaching jobs last year, including at Oregon State, and that he is prepared to run a program.

"I got the college dynamic down," Stoudamire says. "I didn't know it at first, but I got it now."

And he believes he is capable of serving as an NBA head coach, too.

"I've been removed (from NBA coaching) for four years now, but one thing has stayed consistent," he says. "If you can get through to your players and they respect who you are, you can win some games. The moment you lose your team, it's a wrap. That has not changed. I look at some of the (NBA head coaches) now and think, 'I know it's hard for him to coach that guy.' I think I can get along with players, and I think I can coach them."

Does college appeal more to Stoudamire, or the NBA?

"I don't have a preference," he says. "The only thing I'll say is that I bet on myself. I just need a shot. That's all. I'm looking for that (NBA) organization, that (college) program, whatever. I'll see what it takes to get it done, and from there, I can live with the consequences."
FightWildcatsFight

Re: Damon wants to Coach

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

I'm always curious how making announcements like this mid-season affect the focus of the coaching staff and the players.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I think the dynamic of wanting to get to the next level exists, in the open, at high level college programs both on the roster and coaching staffs. I don't think Damon said anything that would surprise anyone inside the program.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Damon has said he aspires to be a head coach since the day he returned to UA. This isn't anything unusual or inconsistent, and I wish him the best of luck.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:I think the dynamic of wanting to get to the next level exists, in the open, at high level college programs both on the roster and coaching staffs. I don't think Damon said anything that would surprise anyone inside the program.
I'm no insider, but Miller seems like the type that would encourage people to aspire to achieve more and excel with the understanding that means players and coaches may leave. That is what comes with success.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lot of jobs opening now. Smart of Damon to put his name put there.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Looks like a HC job in Tempe is about to open up.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:Looks like a HC job in Tempe is about to open up.
Appears Capel is the target. He flamed out at OU, but with his Duke ties and history with Blake Griffin, that gets him some mileage. Perhaps ASU thinks he can reel in Bagley due to his work with Griffin.

Damon should get a shot somewhere.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Bickley up here in Phoenix was beating the war drums today for Pastner, and also said, 'I know for a fact that if Pastner were offered the job at asu....he would jump at the chance to go to Tempe'

I almost fell off my chair laughing. I know the marriage between he and Memphis is a bit rocky right now, but the notion that he would go and coach against his beloved alma mater's hated rival is a bit over the top to me.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Bring Archie over to ASU, lets have a real rivalry
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Jefe wrote:Bring Archie over to ASU, lets have a real rivalry
I'd vote for Pastner...