Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

AZCatGirl

Re: #2

Post by AZCatGirl »

Wisconsin is so close to us in points I wouldn't be surprised to see them at 2 next week.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
gumby

Post by gumby »

For beating Green Bay? Without Farve? Most voters didn't see the game, just the score. We beat the spread!
Right where I want to be.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Probably get jumped by Duke, not too sure about Wisconsin.

One of my predictions at the beginning of the season was Zeus would be back next year, theeasyhe'splayed lately that may come true. He/the team need to get him more involved
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

cats101 wrote:Probably get jumped by Duke, not too sure about Wisconsin.

One of my predictions at the beginning of the season was Zeus would be back next year, theeasyhe'splayed lately that may come true. He/the team need to get him more involved

For having being 7' and having 5% body fat he is sure seems underwhelming, but he did improve the second half after completely disappearing the first.

He was the #2 ranked center in the 2012 recruiting class.

Sad story with Austin though.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Just not a big man's game anymore on the offensive side. Plus, he doesn't have refined finishing skills.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Also doesn't have "spring" as Lute would call it. Needs to bend his knees to jump, and bring the ball down then up to get more momentum.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AZCatGirl wrote:Wisconsin is so close to us in points I wouldn't be surprised to see them at 2 next week.
Good call.

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

No first place votes for us this week either. Hopefully we'll get a few back next week.

Looks like we dropped to 4 in the coaches poll. I guess Duke really impressed a lot of people.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

That and we've looked mostly terrible
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:That and we've looked mostly terrible

Yep, the slow starts are hurting the blowouts.

Haven't seen Wisky, but hard to think UK isn't deserving of all the first place votes.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UK, Duke, and Wisconsin deserve to be the top three. Not sure about the order. Actually think Duke is the best of those three, right now at least. Amid the hype surrounding Okafor and Jones, a lot of people forgot about Justise Winslow, who is just a terrific player. He would guard RHJ if we met them in the tourney.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Fine with me. They beat us and let the media ride there JUNK! Let us ride the wave from Maui all the way to Indy!
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Inherent respect isn't something we're used to around here lately so this is nothing new. Fuck the rankings, we need a Final 4 and title and that is all that matters.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

yeah, who cares about november rankings. duke @ wisconsin next week should shuffle things up a bit anyway. and YES, duke's playing AT kohl!!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Is Kentucky still a no. 1 team? Watching only few mins of their game now, and am not seeing anything special. Arizona would give them everything they could handle in March or April.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Gotta respect a blowout of Kansas.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

HiCat wrote:Is Kentucky still a no. 1 team? Watching only few mins of their game now, and am not seeing anything special. Arizona would give them everything they could handle in March or April.
A few minutes ago they missed three layups in a row. :lol: They're finally pulling away now but yes, I'm not afraid of them at all.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Providence (per announcer) had 18 to's thus far. Gave up on defense a few times. Missed ft's, and didn't score on point blank shots around the hoop. Kentucky's 5 man platoon system pretty effective.

The question is, how well would Arizona's bench be against Kentucky? Arizona not as deep with York, Pitts, Ristic, n Victor.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Just wondering why people are still wondering what a UA/UK matchup would look like. If things continue as they should for both teams, the matchup would only happen in a very good spot for both programs...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I hate Kentucky with a passion but they're pretty darn good, very tough to score against.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

cats101 wrote:I hate Kentucky with a passion but they're pretty darn good, very tough to score against.
This UK team has to be one of the heaviest favorites to win it all over the past decade, maybe longer. Not saying they will -- these heavy favorites rarely do -- but most college hoops writers will be picking UK in March.

When was the last time there were this many future NBA players on a single team?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

AZCatGirl wrote:
HiCat wrote:Is Kentucky still a no. 1 team? Watching only few mins of their game now, and am not seeing anything special. Arizona would give them everything they could handle in March or April.
A few minutes ago they missed three layups in a row. :lol: They're finally pulling away now but yes, I'm not afraid of them at all.
To not be afraid of that team makes little sense. They have four very good freshman who are learning and they will be dramatically different come march (just like we will be as SJ and PJC evolve). The thing that worries me the most about UK is that, while I don't believe they will score easily against us at all (their offense is definitely their weakness, but it's early), we have looked susceptible to offensive rebounds (and losing the rebounding battle in general) and they are monsters on the glass.

The other area that concerns me is their length inside. If we do face them, we HAVE to hit shots from the perimeter and I don't feel comfortable with that part of our game quite yet (although I believe TJ, York, Pitts, and SJ have the potential out there). Even with our athletes they are just so long and throw 3 shot blockers at you in both of their platoons.

Honestly, if all goes well I'm hoping we end up on the opposite side of the bracket. I think we match up better with both Wisky and Duke, and I think those teams both match up better with UK than we do. If we were to meet in the final, then so be it.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
cats101 wrote:I hate Kentucky with a passion but they're pretty darn good, very tough to score against.
This UK team has to be one of the heaviest favorites to win it all over the past decade, maybe longer. Not saying they will -- these heavy favorites rarely do -- but most college hoops writers will be picking UK in March.

When was the last time there were this many future NBA players on a single team?
Maybe the Kentucky team in 98, think they had 9 draft picks. UNC in 2012(?) was a heavy, Espn even dedicated a blog to them...then Marshall's injury happened.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Kentucky loses Poythress for the season.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What platoon does he play on? :lol:

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

#3 again
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gary Parrish has us at #9, four spots below Gonzaga and right behind 9-2 Utah.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on- ... e-rankings
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Not bad considering.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:Gary Parrish has us at #9, four spots below Gonzaga and right behind 9-2 Utah.

So only one spot below where enfuego said we'd be after the UTEP WIN.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:Gary Parrish has us at #9, four spots below Gonzaga and right behind 9-2 Utah.

So only one spot below where enfuego said we'd be after the UTEP WIN.
I have to think the AP poll will have us ahead of Utah. One of their two losses is to SDSU.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not concerned about rankings. Just want to see Miller make some adjustments and win some games.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1

Rankings - Associated Press
Last Updated - December 29, 2014
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ranked behind gonzaga
Machina

Post by Machina »

I am not confident based on what I have seen vs UTEP and UNLV that Arizona would beat Gonzaga today, either at home, road or neutral. Not saying they couldn't but I would not bet money on Arizona.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Ok, so Arizona was a much better team three weeks ago. Good to know.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
az91

Post by az91 »

scumdevils86 wrote:ranked behind gonzaga
Our loss, which is arguably the biggest upset of the entire college basketball season to date, was worse than their loss. We are lucky to be ranked ahead of Iowa State, as they only lost to Maryland.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

az91 wrote:
Our loss, which is arguably the biggest upset of the entire college basketball season to date, was worse than their loss. We are lucky to be ranked ahead of Iowa State, as they only lost to Maryland.
You haven't been watching much basketball if you think our loss to UNLV was in the same solar system as some of those suffered by ranked teams so far this year...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
az91

Post by az91 »

Puerco wrote:
az91 wrote:
You haven't been watching much basketball if you think our loss to UNLV was in the same solar system as some of those suffered by ranked teams so far this year...
What team currently in the Top 10 has had a worst loss than our loss to UNLV?
Machina

Post by Machina »

az91 wrote:
Puerco wrote:
az91 wrote:
Only one team in the Top 25 has a worse loss than Arizona (the quality of team who beat them not margin of defeat) and that is Washington vs SB
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spare me the "worst loss" bullshit. AZ played back to back roadies against mid-major programs right before Xmas. It was the game of the decade for both those programs.

It's not a bad loss at all. We played like shit, but it wasn't a bad loss.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Olsondogg wrote:Spare me the "worst loss" bullshit. AZ played back to back roadies against mid-major programs right before Xmas. It was the game of the decade for both those programs.

It's not a bad loss at all. We played like shit, but it wasn't a bad loss.
Yeah, but I heard Coach Miller blamed it on the fans.

We're still waiting Big Mach.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Moved up to # 7 this week in the ap poll.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

84Cat wrote:Moved up to # 7 this week in the ap poll.

Zags at #6, Tah at #9
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bad win. Need to stop scheduling them.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Utah has solid fundamentals but no depth. Utes'll wear down.

It'll be funny if Arizona finishes the season ranked behind Gonzaga but gets seeded ahead of them based on the head-to-head.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Utah has 10 players averaging >10 mpg and 9 players with PER's >15. That is pretty fair depth.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Machina wrote:
az91 wrote:
Puerco wrote:
az91 wrote:
Only one team in the Top 25 has a worse loss than Arizona (the quality of team who beat them not margin of defeat) and that is Washington vs SB
You didn't say it was a loss worse than any suffered by a top 10 team. You said it was 'arguably the biggest upset of the entire college basketball season to date.' Here are some comparable upsets suffered by currently ranked teams:
Temple over Kansas. By a lot.
Providence over Notre Dame

But bad losses tend to drop teams out of the rankings, so how about these?
Stony Brook over Washington
Fresno over SDSU*
* recent game

But the granddaddy of them all so far was:
THE New Jersey Institute of Technology over Michigan

There is no way you can equate UA losing in Vegas to Michigan losing to a school most of us have never heard of in their own house.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

Texas Southern over Michigan State.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »