UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Post by rgdeuce »

gumby wrote:
Apparently, fans do, too. We're not going to post our recent defensive numbers, which were aided by physical play that's no longer legal (bumping cutters, etc.).
That is very true, and it doesn't help. On the flip side, you only have to maintain defensive intensity for 30 seconds now rather than 35. It's impossible not to compare to past teams. We all know TJ, Aaron Gordon, Rondae, Nick, and Stanley aren't here anymore, but a lot of it is the bar being set so high defensively. It's unrealistic to think this team is going to be the last two teams defensively. But no matter how early it is in the season, it can be frustrating and concerning to see guys consistently getting blown by and having clear paths to the rim, while help defense just stands there. It's frustrating to see guys rotating late, poor closeouts on shooters, guys out of position, guys losing track of their man, etc. It's akin to a Steelers fan used to their teams winning with defense and all of a sudden Big Ben and company are putting up gaudy offensive numbers, but the defense is not even close to being what it was.

And yes, Boise State was a match up nightmare, but we have seen these things fairly regularly throughout the very young season. It is early though, and not something any of us should be freaking out about. We have shown 1) we have made the halftime adjustments and improved in the second half of pretty much all of our games, if not all, and 2) we have gotten better with each game. There are going to be some slugfests coming up, likely some losses, but Miller will have this team much better defensively come January and February, and then look out.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ChooChooCat wrote:
He's played 13 minutes for the entire season, so I don't know what to think, but he sure did look amazing in a few minutes in our exhibition game didn't he? The potential was on display for the world to see there. I do know that his ceiling as not only a defender, but as a player in general is well above the guy we trotted out there who fouled out in 11 minutes of play last night. I get not playing Simon last night if you don't trust him, but if you're not going to redshirt him then you should at least play him more than 5 minutes against Bradley and 8 minutes against Pacific (only got those 8 minutes because Pitts was out). Either way I don't get why you're picking on him defensively, because he sure hasn't had it taken to him in either of the games he played, but I will absolutely give you that he looks beyond lost on the offensive end. You know what'll help fix that though? Playing time.

I don't know, I've heard from a buddy who says he heard from a reliable source on another website that he's one of our top 5 guys in practice points. If that's the case then I just don't get it. He struggles on offense, but it's not as if we don't have guys to pick up the slack there for him. Either way Ward I think you're being a bit hard on the Beaver. Play the damn guy if you're not going to redshirt him. The more he plays the quicker he'll develop and the quicker we can get a guy who can stay in front of those athletic wings in those big games that matter.
Keywords: "Potential" in an "exhibition game." Yes, I think we all fully grasp the kids potential. Aside from the potential, what tangible evidence from that game or any others did you see that makes u believe he is the answer defensively right now. Ceiling aside, you are lying to yourself if you think this kid is giving us what Pitts has at this very moment. Pitts is smart, has invaluable experience and been here for multiple big teams and logged good minutes off the bench in big games. He gets at it defensively and from what I have seen, done a better job defensively than Simon. He can knock down a 3. He had seven dimes the other night in very limited minutes and has shown he can effectively drive and dish and knows the importance of feeding the low post and has executed it. Most importantly, he knows this team and fully grasps the team concept and what Miller is trying to do.

And why redshirt the kid? What happens if he starts figuring it out in December and January and is good enough to help us off the bench? That isn't that much of a stretch is it? The pros far outweigh the cons of keeping a guy another season when most high-level kids don't even stay a full four years anymore. And he hasn't looked as bad as say a Tollefsen on defense, but I also haven't seen anything on defense that puts him above York, PJC, Trier, Allen, or Pitts. And you are complaining about his lack of minutes, but it is still early, there is plenty of time for game minutes before the conference season, and with our scoring ability, plenty of time in the conference season. And if he were really a top 5 guy in practice points with any regularity, I am sure he would be seeing more minutes.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

As far as the defense, the new emphasis on right of way and ease of movement for the offensive players are of course going to hamper what a team can do on defense. We'll see if the refs continue to call the games tight and if the mentality of the team changes along with how the games are called. For instance, one of Pitts's five fouls last night was because he put his hand on the back of a ballhandler instead of his forearm. I'd be willing to bet the same thing is not being called when we get to conference play (at least not consistently).

On the help defense front, that's all about communication. There's no way to expect a team with this many new faces to be able to communicate as effectively right out of the gate as a team that is largely intact. So we will get better there as well.

If there's one thing we know, it's that CSM hangs his hat on defense. If you're concerned as a fan about how we execute on that side of the floor, you have to believe that Miller is feeling it about ten times as much and is working to improve it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Puerco wrote:Who's the athletic 3 on the bench wasting a redshirt year? Don't get it.
Too many people on this board get really stuck on players redshirting. It just does not happen much today.
Play them or just redshirt them. Either way commit to developing the damn guys you recruit. Miller made the right decision with our current point guard wouldn't you say? That guy that killed us last night redshirted his sophomore year too fwiw.
Miller forces recruits to redshirt? Realistically, any college that has players that other teams want has to consider whether a player wants to redshirt. Kadeem made a decision because he would have been squeezed out of time. I have very little doubt Simon made his decision too.

Next, situations arise where a player either earns his way into the rotation or an injury forces him in. Finally, what advantage does a redshirt really give us with Simon? Filling a hole we don't know will exist 4 years from now? When you recruit well, available playing time is a selling point.

Pardon if I sound harsh, but this is the way Miller has always done it, and he is a top CBB coach and we are a bunch of yokels on a message board.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

ChooChooCat wrote:
pokinmik wrote:Haha might want to stop choo choo before you face further embarassment.
What do I have to be embarrassed about exactly?
In just your last post you managed to (1) contradict yourself; (2) declare Simon's first year of eligibility a likely waste after 3 games; and (3) type as if you know more about the team, Simon, and player development patterns than Sean Miller.

Obviously Miller doesn't think Simon is ready for big-time minutes like Trier. Nothing wrong with that. There is alottt of experience ahead of him on the depth chart. I'm sure he's learning and will contribute more and more when Miller thinks he's ready, whether that is next game or further along this season or even next year. Relax, is all I'm getting at. Have some faith in the Coach, and I'm saying that in the least-homer way possible.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ChooChooCat wrote: Play them or just redshirt them. Either way commit to developing the damn guys you recruit. Miller made the right decision with our current point guard wouldn't you say? That guy that killed us last night redshirted his sophomore year too fwiw.
YEA! Gabe York is proof that if you don't play them or redshirt them their frosh year then they will never be major contribut........

Oh wait, you're talking out of your ass. Justin Simon, as has been clear SINCE THE DAY HE SIGNED, is a project. But he can still get valuable experience in some games this year just like gabe did as a frosh. It will help him more than a redshirt would
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote: Play them or just redshirt them. Either way commit to developing the damn guys you recruit. Miller made the right decision with our current point guard wouldn't you say? That guy that killed us last night redshirted his sophomore year too fwiw.
YEA! Gabe York is proof that if you don't play them or redshirt them their frosh year then they will never be major contribut........

Oh wait, you're talking out of your ass. Justin Simon, as has been clear SINCE THE DAY HE SIGNED, is a project. But he can still get valuable experience in some games this year just like gabe did as a frosh. It will help him more than a redshirt would
Cool post.

Care to explain how playing 79 total minutes in York's freshman year was so much more valuable for him than a redshirt was for Kadeem Allen in regards to their play the following season?

I mean if we're going to call people out for talking out of their ass let's at least be consistent with our bullshit shall we? I also never said Justin will never be a major contributor, but please continue to put words into my mouth.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pokinmik wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
pokinmik wrote:Haha might want to stop choo choo before you face further embarassment.
What do I have to be embarrassed about exactly?
In just your last post you managed to (1) contradict yourself; (2) declare Simon's first year of eligibility a likely waste after 3 games; and (3) type as if you know more about the team, Simon, and player development patterns than Sean Miller.

Obviously Miller doesn't think Simon is ready for big-time minutes like Trier. Nothing wrong with that. There is alottt of experience ahead of him on the depth chart. I'm sure he's learning and will contribute more and more when Miller thinks he's ready, whether that is next game or further along this season or even next year. Relax, is all I'm getting at. Have some faith in the Coach, and I'm saying that in the least-homer way possible.
1. I contradicted myself how?
2. I didn't declare it a waste, but thanks for putting words into my mouth
3. I cited reasons for why I think Simon should play over Elliott Pitts and nothing more. I'm not claiming I know more than Sean Miller. I'm working with public information about Simon's game, what I already know about Pitts's game, and supposedly what a reputable source said about Simon in regards to practice points.

You guys don't like my opinion and that's fine. There's no reason to try to throw me under the bus for it and claim I'm saying things I never once said.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Puerco wrote:Who's the athletic 3 on the bench wasting a redshirt year? Don't get it.
Too many people on this board get really stuck on players redshirting. It just does not happen much today.
Play them or just redshirt them. Either way commit to developing the damn guys you recruit. Miller made the right decision with our current point guard wouldn't you say? That guy that killed us last night redshirted his sophomore year too fwiw.
Miller forces recruits to redshirt? Realistically, any college that has players that other teams want has to consider whether a player wants to redshirt. Kadeem made a decision because he would have been squeezed out of time. I have very little doubt Simon made his decision too.

Next, situations arise where a player either earns his way into the rotation or an injury forces him in. Finally, what advantage does a redshirt really give us with Simon? Filling a hole we don't know will exist 4 years from now? When you recruit well, available playing time is a selling point.

Pardon if I sound harsh, but this is the way Miller has always done it, and he is a top CBB coach and we are a bunch of yokels on a message board.
I didn't mean to imply Miller forces anyone to redshirt, I'm more than confident both parties discuss the topic of redshirting and a consensus is made from there.

You don't sound harsh at all my man. I appreciate your view and your candidness and you're right that Miller is a top CBB coach and we are a bunch of yokels, but even people who are the best in their profession can take criticisms from the yokels from time to time. It's ok to have other views, I promise.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Do Scouts wear team shirts? I was in row 3 before the start and a guy in a Dallas Mavericks polo sat down with a laptop mid court. Tarc?
Last edited by Jefe on Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

rgdeuce wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
He's played 13 minutes for the entire season, so I don't know what to think, but he sure did look amazing in a few minutes in our exhibition game didn't he? The potential was on display for the world to see there. I do know that his ceiling as not only a defender, but as a player in general is well above the guy we trotted out there who fouled out in 11 minutes of play last night. I get not playing Simon last night if you don't trust him, but if you're not going to redshirt him then you should at least play him more than 5 minutes against Bradley and 8 minutes against Pacific (only got those 8 minutes because Pitts was out). Either way I don't get why you're picking on him defensively, because he sure hasn't had it taken to him in either of the games he played, but I will absolutely give you that he looks beyond lost on the offensive end. You know what'll help fix that though? Playing time.

I don't know, I've heard from a buddy who says he heard from a reliable source on another website that he's one of our top 5 guys in practice points. If that's the case then I just don't get it. He struggles on offense, but it's not as if we don't have guys to pick up the slack there for him. Either way Ward I think you're being a bit hard on the Beaver. Play the damn guy if you're not going to redshirt him. The more he plays the quicker he'll develop and the quicker we can get a guy who can stay in front of those athletic wings in those big games that matter.
Keywords: "Potential" in an "exhibition game." Yes, I think we all fully grasp the kids potential. Aside from the potential, what tangible evidence from that game or any others did you see that makes u believe he is the answer defensively right now. Ceiling aside, you are lying to yourself if you think this kid is giving us what Pitts has at this very moment. Pitts is smart, has invaluable experience and been here for multiple big teams and logged good minutes off the bench in big games. He gets at it defensively and from what I have seen, done a better job defensively than Simon. He can knock down a 3. He had seven dimes the other night in very limited minutes and has shown he can effectively drive and dish and knows the importance of feeding the low post and has executed it. Most importantly, he knows this team and fully grasps the team concept and what Miller is trying to do.

And why redshirt the kid? What happens if he starts figuring it out in December and January and is good enough to help us off the bench? That isn't that much of a stretch is it? The pros far outweigh the cons of keeping a guy another season when most high-level kids don't even stay a full four years anymore. And he hasn't looked as bad as say a Tollefsen on defense, but I also haven't seen anything on defense that puts him above York, PJC, Trier, Allen, or Pitts. And you are complaining about his lack of minutes, but it is still early, there is plenty of time for game minutes before the conference season, and with our scoring ability, plenty of time in the conference season. And if he were really a top 5 guy in practice points with any regularity, I am sure he would be seeing more minutes.

Great post, although I don't think Pitts "invaluable experience" matters as much for a team that is quite frankly chalk full of invaluable experience. Genuinely for every good thing that Pitts brings to the table outside of said invaluable experience, Simon is naturally better with the exception of shooting 3's of course. I think it's kind of hard to judge a guy on as little total minutes as he's had on his defense and compare him to 4-5 players who play on average around 20 minutes per game. It is still early, but if recent history under Sean Miller proves anything, outside of an injury to a wing player the rotation isn't likely to change much if at all.

Still very curious about the top 5 in practice points part of the equation. If that is in fact not true then that hurts my argument greatly, but my buddy swears by the guy who said it, so I don't know.
gumby

Post by gumby »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gumby wrote:There's a reason guys don't play. Just because they don't doesn't mean they aren't being developed. Has Miller shown he can't be trusted to do such a basic thing? What must he do to get benefit of doubt in these annual "why isn't (fill in the blank) playing more?"

He will let the talent play when they're ready. Why wouldn't he?
He plays who he trusts, always has and always will. I'm more upset about the waste of the redshirt year honestly.
Is there a problem trusting Miller? Is someone getting screwed here and has said so? Or is this just some imagining that you're doing?

Is it possibly you're more concerned than Simon? It's Game 3, and you're already talking about a wasted season for the guy.

Back to the game, which I remain very happy with, 24 points and 8 dimes from the PG position. Woo-hoo!

Boise shot 35.7 percent in the second half. We outshot them in both halves.
Right where I want to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
gumby wrote:There's a reason guys don't play. Just because they don't doesn't mean they aren't being developed. Has Miller shown he can't be trusted to do such a basic thing? What must he do to get benefit of doubt in these annual "why isn't (fill in the blank) playing more?"

He plays who he trusts, always has and always will. I'm more upset about the waste of the redshirt year honestly.
Is there a problem trusting Miller? Is someone getting screwed here and has said so? Or is this just some imagining that you're doing?

Is it possibly you're more concerned than Simon?

It's Game 3, and you're already talking about a wasted season for the guy.

Back to the game, which I remain very happy with, 24 points and 8 dimes from the PG position. Woo-hoo!
A redshirt season is an agreement between the player and the coaching staff that a player should sit out a full season in order to be able to play in other seasons when he is more capable and needed. Anyone who thinks it's some kind of decision a coach makes in a bubble without any input from the player, his family, and his advisors is simply mistaken.

So how do we know that Miller didn't approach Simon about redshirting and he said no? Or that Simon told Miller that no matter how much he plays this season, he wants to contribute, travel, and learn on the court as much as possible as opposed to sitting out? Or that the plan isn't for Simon to play more as the season goes on? Or that Simon's goal is to leave school before his eligibility is up, and a redshirt season would only delay that process?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Jefe wrote:Do Scouts were team shirts? I was in row 3 before the start and a guy in a Dallas Mavericks polo sat down with a laptop mid court. Tarc?
Most will wear some kind of polo. I wouldnt put the focus on Tarc, but just a good match up with a few interesting guys on both teams.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

I think we have 0 guys who can defend combo-forwards.

1. Simon could be the guy eventually, but I dont think he has the strength to defend the hybrid 3/4s. I would like to see him have a shot, but Miller clearly doesnt trust him yet.

2. Tollefson cant defend off the bounce and because of that he cant pressure on the perimeter. Webb was a matchup nightmare for him. Lay off and he shoots open 3s, play up and he drives by. His closeouts were just bad, really bad. No break down, just flying out at the ball.

3. I know Anderson hurt his ankle, but he doesnt have the quickness to defend guys like that. However, I think he is our best option.

Even if Smith was behind defensively, he still has the length and quickness to either contest shots from the perimeter or press up more on the ball. Tollefson was jumping out at Duncan and getting beat off the dribble. He was then playing off Webb and couldnt contest the 3 ball.

I thought it was painfully obvious. From what I saw in Red-Blue and hearing reports on him, Smith was the guy to defend the combo forwards.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I would bet cash money that it was, at minimum, understood that Simon did not want to redshirt. Miller has let guys who wanted to redshirt do so (Korcheck).

Most college basketball players (from personal experience) are certain that they are better than the people ahead of them and that they will play as soon as the coach wakes up. It takes a lot of reality and maturity to say you want to take a RS year.

That's why I had an issue with choochoo's play em or redshirt em. What the player wants matters for many reasons, and most players want to play. Much as haters want to hate.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Is it possibly you're more concerned than Simon? It's Game 3, and you're already talking about a wasted season for the guy.

Boise shot 35.7 percent in the second half. We outshot them in both halves.
Why does it always have to be trust the head coach at all costs without looking at a situation from all angles? Is there a problem with just questioning a decision he had a hand in making? With that said as I have verbalized in the past, I don't like not redshirting a guy who you quite simply are not going to play much if at all unless an injury happens, because it doesn't do Arizona any favors. If a player redshirts that's a commitment made by both Arizona to the player and the player to Arizona. If the player doesn't redshirt and plays sparingly at best that leaves him the option to transfer out. I just don't like the lack of commitment it shows from both angles. I get Spaceman's take on players want to play, but if the players not playing then what? What was the point? You get 4 years of actual playing eligibility, why waste one, especially when you're a project (not my words)? I just don't like, sorry.

As I mentioned before barring an injury has history shown that Miller changes much in his rotations in regards to the players who predominantly play as the year goes on? Has that ever happened? Has anybody ever started off with a quite frankly non-role and then became an important cog as the season goes on without an injury taking place to cause that to happen? I sure haven't seen it during the Miller tenure, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong there.

Woo-hoo! Spit in the face of Goodman's "concern."
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Great post, although I don't think Pitts "invaluable experience" matters as much for a team that is quite frankly chalk full of invaluable experience. Genuinely for every good thing that Pitts brings to the table outside of said invaluable experience, Simon is naturally better with the exception of shooting 3's of course. I think it's kind of hard to judge a guy on as little total minutes as he's had on his defense and compare him to 4-5 players who play on average around 20 minutes per game. It is still early, but if recent history under Sean Miller proves anything, outside of an injury to a wing player the rotation isn't likely to change much if at all.
You are looking at it from a total experience viewpoint: ie, juniors and seniors. Think of Pitts as glue that fills in voids and/or helps hold a team who is inexperienced under Miller together. If Zeus and York aren't on the floor together (not uncommon), who is the guy on the floor who is best going to know what Miller wants to be doing on both ends of the floor? Who is the guy on the floor who can remind guys, you need to be here. Zeus and Gabe are those guys; Dusan and PJC have one year; Anderson and Allen have red shirt years, but no game experience here; Tollefsen is brand new; Trier is brand new. Pitts knows this system and most of the important pieces more than almost anyone on the team. He's played with almost all these guys at least one full year, some of them two. He knows their tendancies, their weaknesses, where they want the ball, etc. You lose all of that with Simon.

Again, results on the court, and it sucks that Simon doesn't have a lot of minutes to pick apart, but don't use that as an excuse because we don't have anything else to go by. We cant go by a friend who has practice info, scouting reports, physical attributes. I don't get what you completely mean by naturally, but if it what I think you are referring to, that doesn't really matter, it is how you actually produce. Not even factoring experience, team experience and college basketball smarts, which are light years apart between these guys. You acknowledged Pitts can shoot the three better, who is the better shooter period? I'm still waiting on a response on defense as to what has actually been seen on the court in games, because I am seeing Pitts as better there. I think Pitts is a better rebounder. Pitts is a better passer. And again, Simon is super athletic and quick, I can see him getting by his man, but there's a difference between effective penetration and just the ability to get by a man for a purpose other than beating him and hoping nobody is under the rim so you can get a bucket.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Why does it always have to be trust the head coach at all costs without looking at a situation from all angles? Sean Miller is not perfect. With that said as I have verbalized in the past, I don't like not redshirting a guy who you quite simply are not going to play much if at all unless an injury happens, because it doesn't do Arizona any favors. If a player redshirts that's a commitment made by both Arizona to the player and the player to Arizona. If the player doesn't redshirt and plays sparingly at best that leaves him the option to transfer out. I just don't like the lack of commitment it shows as a selfish Arizona fan.
That doesn't strike me as "commitment" so much as "indentured servitude". You're basically lobbying for players to get held out so they then can't transfer without losing a year of eligibility. I would hope that Sean Miller NEVER does that to a kid just so he can stash him away.
ChooChooCat wrote:As I mentioned before barring an injury has history shown that Miller changes much in his rotations in regards to the players who predominantly play as the year goes on? Has that ever happened? Has anybody ever started off with a quite frankly non-role and then became an important cog as the season goes on? I sure haven't seen it during the Miller tenure, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong there.
In Ristic's first 6 games last year he averaged a little over 5 minutes of playing time a game. In this next 6 games he averaged over 10. He was up and down as far as minutes all year, but he ended up averaging almost 9 minutes a game, and I would say it set him up nicely for his role this year and that this year will set him up nicely for the next two.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I would bet cash money that it was, at minimum, understood that Simon did not want to redshirt. Miller has let guys who wanted to redshirt do so (Korcheck).

Most college basketball players (from personal experience) are certain that they are better than the people ahead of them and that they will play as soon as the coach wakes up. It takes a lot of reality and maturity to say you want to take a RS year.

That's why I had an issue with choochoo's play em or redshirt em. What the player wants matters for many reasons, and most players want to play. Much as haters want to hate.
I just want to shake shake shake shake shake.....Shimmy shake, that is
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Why does it always have to be trust the head coach at all costs without looking at a situation from all angles? Sean Miller is not perfect. With that said as I have verbalized in the past, I don't like not redshirting a guy who you quite simply are not going to play much if at all unless an injury happens, because it doesn't do Arizona any favors. If a player redshirts that's a commitment made by both Arizona to the player and the player to Arizona. If the player doesn't redshirt and plays sparingly at best that leaves him the option to transfer out. I just don't like the lack of commitment it shows as a selfish Arizona fan.
That doesn't strike me as "commitment" so much as "indentured servitude". You're basically lobbying for players to get held out so they then can't transfer without losing a year of eligibility. I would hope that Sean Miller NEVER does that to a kid just so he can stash him away.
ChooChooCat wrote:As I mentioned before barring an injury has history shown that Miller changes much in his rotations in regards to the players who predominantly play as the year goes on? Has that ever happened? Has anybody ever started off with a quite frankly non-role and then became an important cog as the season goes on? I sure haven't seen it during the Miller tenure, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong there.
In Ristic's first 6 games last year he averaged a little over 5 minutes of playing time a game. In this next 6 games he averaged over 10. He was up and down as far as minutes all year, but he ended up averaging almost 9 minutes a game, and I would say it set him up nicely for his role this year and that this year will set him up nicely for the next two.
Jesse Perry didn't clock 20 minutes in any game until conference play his first year here.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... elog/2011/" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: That doesn't strike me as "commitment" so much as "indentured servitude". You're basically lobbying for players to get held out so they then can't transfer without losing a year of eligibility. I would hope that Sean Miller NEVER does that to a kid just so he can stash him away.
I'm lobbying for players who quite frankly aren't going to play and their coaches to commit to the development of the player and not waste a year of eligibility for nothing. What you're suggesting is that a coach recruiting a player and a player committing to a coach/program shouldn't be expected to value their commitment to each other after the player gets on campus, which just makes the whole recruiting experience a farce. "Indentured servitude?" Are we getting into the plight of the student athlete here Mr. Bilas?

Look I get it, it's not the Lute Olson era any more, but players who redshirted were far from screwed. It's treated like a plague now, because the transfer option is so much more attractive to kids. Why work through your commitment and get better when you can just leave for guaranteed more minutes right?
ChiCat wrote:
Ok that's fair, but Ristic was also only 1 of 3 post players on the team and 1 of 2 actual centers on last year's team that Miller valued (sorry Korcheck), so minutes depending on matchup/foul trouble were going to be needed. Meanwhile this year Chance Comanche is behind 2 more experienced centers and 2 more experienced power forwards and isn't redshirting. Justin Simon has a glutton of players ahead of him at the 1, 2, and 3. Ristic didn't have any one to beat out for his back up center minutes outside of Brandon Ashley, while Simon and Comanche have a much more steep climb to get there to say the least.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Jesse Perry didn't clock 20 minutes in any game until conference play his first year here.

He consistently played double digit minutes prior to that. I certainly wouldn't consider that being used sparingly or in a "non-role."
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ChooChooCat wrote:
As I mentioned before barring an injury has history shown that Miller changes much in his rotations in regards to the players who predominantly play as the year goes on? Has that ever happened? Has anybody ever started off with a quite frankly non-role and then became an important cog as the season goes on without an injury taking place to cause that to happen? I sure haven't seen it during the Miller tenure, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong there.
I was getting ready to lmfao until I re-read this and saw the thing about injury. Otherwise, Pitts would have ironically been an answer for you. I can't think of any, but multiple teams of Miller's here haven't been loaded with depth, so several guys got thrown into a bench rotation out of necessity. In other years, you got your best 7 or 8, then the gap between them and everyone else is huge. This year's team has depth, but the difference between guys 4-9 isn't that huge and Miller even said as much in last night's presser. If Simon is guy number 10, there isn't that huge of a difference between him and who I think is our number 9, Tollefsen, to me. This is a year it certainly can happen.

Edit: Ristic is a guy I remember from last years team whose minutes jumped as the season progressed.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

He consistently played double digit minutes prior to that. I certainly wouldn't consider that being used sparingly.
I can't argue against nebulous terms like sparingly, but never clocking 20 to starting and playing 27-33 a game is a major increase.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

rgdeuce wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I was getting ready to lmfao until I re-read this and saw the thing about injury. Otherwise, Pitts would have ironically been an answer for you. I can't think of any, but multiple teams of Miller's here haven't been loaded with depth, so several guys got thrown into a bench rotation out of necessity. In other years, you got your best 7 or 8, then the gap between them and everyone else is huge. This year's team has depth, but the difference between guys 4-9 isn't that huge and Miller even said as much in last night's presser. If Simon is guy number 10, there isn't that huge of a difference between him and who I think is our number 9, Tollefsen, to me. This is a year it certainly can happen.

Edit: Ristic is a guy I remember from last years team whose minutes jumped as the season progressed.
Hahaha believe me I still wake up in cold sweats about Brandon Ashley's injury that stole the Final Four and maybe the National Title away from us. Sigh....
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'm lobbying for players who quite frankly aren't going to play and their coaches to commit to the development of the player and not waste a year of eligibility for nothing. What you're suggesting is that a coach recruiting a player and a player committing to a coach/program shouldn't be expected to value their commitment to each other after the player gets on campus, which just makes the whole recruiting experience a farce. "Indentured servitude?" Are we getting into the plight of the student athlete here Mr. Bilas?
What you're actually lobbying for is Miller to tell top level recruits, "Look, I want you to come to Arizona and not play." How well exactly do you think that's going to work as opposed to telling kids, "I want you to come to Arizona, but I'm not going to promise you how much you'll play right away. Come in, compete your hardest, and you'll see as much floor time as we think you can handle."?

How is Miller not valuing Simon's commitment to Arizona? That statement is a farce, ESPECIALLY three games into the season. Basically, it's complete and utter bullshit. You have zero clue as to what has been said or promised between the coaching staff and Justin Simon. There are only so many minutes in a game. Should Miller sacrifice the team and the season so that everyone gets an equal share of minutes? He'd be fired in a heartbeat if that was the case. But by all means, keep tilting at windmills on this.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

He consistently played double digit minutes prior to that. I certainly wouldn't consider that being used sparingly.
I can't argue against nebulous terms like sparingly, but never clocking 20 to starting and playing 27-33 a game is a major increase.
Well that's why I wrote "non-role." I agree that going from <20 to 27-33 is a major jump, but it's not as if he wasn't given more than enough playing time in an actual major role (back up PF) to work his way into an even bigger role. The guys we're discussing currently have no role whatsoever outside of worst case scenario fill in or mop up minutes in a blow out.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I'm lobbying for players who quite frankly aren't going to play and their coaches to commit to the development of the player and not waste a year of eligibility for nothing. What you're suggesting is that a coach recruiting a player and a player committing to a coach/program shouldn't be expected to value their commitment to each other after the player gets on campus, which just makes the whole recruiting experience a farce. "Indentured servitude?" Are we getting into the plight of the student athlete here Mr. Bilas?
What you're actually lobbying for is Miller to tell top level recruits, "Look, I want you to come to Arizona and not play." How well exactly do you think that's going to work as opposed to telling kids, "I want you to come to Arizona, but I'm not going to promise you how much you'll play right away. Come in, compete your hardest, and you'll see as much floor time as we think you can handle."?

How is Miller not valuing Simon's commitment to Arizona? That statement is a farce, ESPECIALLY three games into the season. Basically, it's complete and utter bullshit. You have zero clue as to what has been said or promised between the coaching staff and Justin Simon. There are only so many minutes in a game. Should Miller sacrifice the team and the season so that everyone gets an equal share of minutes? He'd be fired in a heartbeat if that was the case. But by all means, keep tilting at windmills on this.
No what I'm lobbying for is Miller to tell top level recruits, "Look you'll get more than a fair shot just like anybody else to earn playing time, but quite frankly if I'm not going to play you at all outside of mop up minutes it may be best if you redshirt, learn the system, work on your skills in practice, and then come out the following season with your ass on fire as a better/smarter player." So pretty much exactly what you said in the latter part, except you know giving the kids an option to redshirt in the program and improve.

Ummm I'm not clamoring for an equal amount of minutes and I'd love for you to point out where I did. Welcome to the "Putting words in ChooChoo's mouth train. I'm glad you bought a ticket as well. Thanks for making my point how there are only so many minutes in a game in regards to just how little these guys can contribute. Either way you're being over the top ridiculous and I'm just going to leave you here, because wow did you go out on a hell of a limb to lose your collective shit on me. Take care.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:The guys we're discussing currently have no role whatsoever outside of worst case scenario fill in or mop up minutes in a blow out.
Justin Simon was in the Pacific game with 15 minutes left in the first half. I'm sorry, you were saying?...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:The guys we're discussing currently have no role whatsoever outside of worst case scenario fill in or mop up minutes in a blow out.
Justin Simon was in the Pacific game with 15 minutes left in the first half. I'm sorry, you were saying?...
Elliott Pitts was injured, hence worst case scenario. Feel free to see where I said barring an injury numerous times as well. As you were saying?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

No what I'm lobbying for is Miller to tell top level recruits, "Look you'll get more than a fair shot just like anybody else to earn playing time, but quite frankly if I'm not going to play you at all outside of mop up minutes it may be best if you redshirt, learn the system, work on your skills in practice, and then come out the following season with your ass on fire as a better/smarter player."
I do not see this as a tremendously attractive recruiting pitch for most recruits.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:No what I'm lobbying for is Miller to tell top level recruits, "Look you'll get more than a fair shot just like anybody else to earn playing time, but quite frankly if I'm not going to play you at all outside of mop up minutes it may be best if you redshirt, learn the system, work on your skills in practice, and then come out the following season with your ass on fire as a better/smarter player." So pretty much exactly what you said in the latter part, except you know giving the kids an option to redshirt in the program and improve.
Kids want to play right away. For many of the top level recruits, a redshirt is not an option they want to discuss because they know they can go somewhere else and play right away. But beyond that, you have no proof whatsoever that CSM didn't have that exact conversation with Simon. But you assume otherwise. Why? I have no idea.
ChooChooCat wrote:Ummm I'm not clamoring for an equal amount of minutes and I'd love for you to point out where I did. Welcome to the "Putting words in ChooChoo's mouth train. I'm glad you bought a ticket as well. Thanks for making my point how there are only so many minutes in a game in regards to just how little these guys can contribute. Either way you're being over the top ridiculous and I'm just going to leave you here, because wow did you go out on a hell of a limb to lose your collective shit on me. Take care.
Okeydoke Choo-Choo. Whatever you say man.

Oh wait, here you are again...
ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Elliott Pitts was injured, hence worst case scenario. Feel free to see where I said barring an injury numerous times as well. As you were saying?
Elliott Pitts missing the Pacific game was a "worst case scenario"? OK... :lol:

Pitts fouled out against Boise St. in a game we were back and forth through most of. Where was Simon in that "worst case scenario"??
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

No what I'm lobbying for is Miller to tell top level recruits, "Look you'll get more than a fair shot just like anybody else to earn playing time, but quite frankly if I'm not going to play you at all outside of mop up minutes it may be best if you redshirt, learn the system, work on your skills in practice, and then come out the following season with your ass on fire as a better/smarter player."
I do not see this as a tremendously attractive recruiting pitch for most recruits.
It's exactly what Chi said, but less fluffed and with a redshirt option thrown out there. So if it makes you feel better use what Chi said and include the redshirt possibility at the end. If a recruit is under the impression that while they're extremely talented they're also projects (Mr. Simon and Comanche please stand up), it's not a terrible option. Now the elite of the elite don't even have to worry about proposing redshirting, so we're splitting hairs and technicalities here on who would get this particular recruiting pitch.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Kids want to play right away. For many of the top level recruits, a redshirt is not an option they want to discuss because they know they can go somewhere else and play right away. But beyond that, you have no proof whatsoever that CSM didn't have that exact conversation with Simon. But you assume otherwise. Why? I have no idea.
I never said Sean Miller did nor did I ever insinuate as much. Jesus Christ, either read what the hell I write or quit responding. It's just badgering at this point.
Chicat wrote:Oh wait, here you are again...

Elliott Pitts missing the Pacific game was a "worst case scenario"? OK... :lol:
Ummm yes an injury to a player above another player on a depth chart is a worst case scenario for him to play more. I know it's complicated. I'll type slower next time.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

As I said, where was Simon last night during the "worst case scenario" of a player above him on the depth chart fouling out?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The Simon midseason transfer of the year award hype is building.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:The Simon midseason transfer of the year award hype is building.
Where?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:The Simon midseason transfer of the year award hype is building.
Where?
We're putting words in each other's mouth. Maybe Simon's mouth too.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

There is no chatter of Simon transferring. Such stupidity
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

So the big takeaway from Game 3 is the absence of a freshman from Game 3.

Strange times. We could continue this during the next game since those don't draw as much comment.
gumby

Post by gumby »

TucsonClip wrote:I think we have 0 guys who can defend combo-forwards.

1. Simon could be the guy eventually, but I dont think he has the strength to defend the hybrid 3/4s. I would like to see him have a shot, but Miller clearly doesnt trust him yet.

2. Tollefson cant defend off the bounce and because of that he cant pressure on the perimeter. Webb was a matchup nightmare for him. Lay off and he shoots open 3s, play up and he drives by. His closeouts were just bad, really bad. No break down, just flying out at the ball.

3. I know Anderson hurt his ankle, but he doesnt have the quickness to defend guys like that. However, I think he is our best option.

Even if Smith was behind defensively, he still has the length and quickness to either contest shots from the perimeter or press up more on the ball. Tollefson was jumping out at Duncan and getting beat off the dribble. He was then playing off Webb and couldnt contest the 3 ball.

I thought it was painfully obvious. From what I saw in Red-Blue and hearing reports on him, Smith was the guy to defend the combo forwards.
The good news is that Webb and Duncan are rare players in college. We will face few, if any, players who are like them.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:

The good news is that Webb and Duncan are rare players in college. We will face few, if any, players who are like them.

Why should that stop everyone from worrying about another player dozens of games from now??? I mean, we struggled with those guys and only won by double digits. The horror.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:
gumby wrote:

Why should that stop everyone from worrying about another player dozens of games from now??? I mean, we struggled with those guys and only won by double digits. The horror.
Gonzaga isn't dozens of games from now. In terms of the NCAA's, we may be fine, but Wiltjer is a tough matchup if Tollefsen doesn't lift his game fast.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:So the big takeaway from Game 3 is the absence of a freshman from Game 3.
Yep. The fact that Miller didn't put Comanche on that Dunkin Donuts guy really chapped my ass and led me to conclude a whole host of things about the rest of the season and Sean Miller in general.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Are you guys suggesting Tollefsen can't defend. He is our Hollis-Jefferson this year. :lol:

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 2f947.html" target="_blank
Of course, defense had a lot to do with it. Miller is the head coach, after all, and he needed a skilled defender at forward to help replace versatile stopper Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, who left for the NBA as a sophomore this spring.

Guess what? While Miller often defined Hollis-Jefferson’s defensive versatility last season by how he defended both guard Kevin Pangos and power forward Kyle Wiltjer of Gonzaga — Tollefsen did the exact same thing against the Bulldogs while playing for USF.

“He’s really adept on defense,” Miller said. “He can guard a perimeter player, a big forward or a power guy as well.”

Among Tollefsen’s other defensive assignments at USF: Taking on 6-5 BYU scorer Tyler Haws and, of all people, three-time all-WCC guard Anthony Ireland of Loyola Marymount ... who is all of 5-foot-10.

“My left really bothered him and I have really quick feet,” Tollefsen said. “I can guard just about anyone.”
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
gumby wrote:

Gonzaga isn't dozens of games from now. In terms of the NCAA's, we may be fine, but Wiltjer is a tough matchup if Tollefsen doesn't lift his game fast.

True. Didn't see him mentioned until now...

He was a tough matchup with RHJ on him. He was a tough matchup with Jesus Christ on him. He's one of the best players in college basketball. It's like the same stupid argument about how Zeus couldn't defend the national player of the year last year, or the year before.

There are bad matchups between big time programs all throughout the country. I don't doubt that Tollefsen will be outplayed by Wiltjer, as will most forwards this year. Does stating that make everyone feel better?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:As I said, where was Simon last night during the "worst case scenario" of a player above him on the depth chart fouling out?
That makes it sound even worse that Simon didn't get in now doesn't it? Thanks for making my point for me Chi, you're a true friend.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
gumby wrote:So the big takeaway from Game 3 is the absence of a freshman from Game 3.
Yep. The fact that Miller didn't put Comanche on that Dunkin Donuts guy really chapped my ass and led me to conclude a whole host of things about the rest of the season and Sean Miller in general.
Wow you truly are the Queen of Exaggeration aren't you? You wear the crown real well, or is it a tiara?

I bet you're a blast to talk politics and religion with too. :roll:
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:

.....until the NCAA tournament when it matters most.