Gardner-Webb

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Gardner-Webb

Post by gumby »

Biggest game of the year. If you doubt that, imagine the ignominy in defeat.

So, must win.

Last time out, the Brevard Tornados, D-II school, outrebounded G-W. So I would think we could just toss it up to the backboard and eventually score ... on every possession.

They've lost to LSU (by 11), Seton Hall (by 18), Old Dominion (by 12) and Appalachian State (by 8). However, they did beat Brevard (by 15), have conquered Wofford (by 5), upset Clemson -- ACC!!!! (by 2) and whipped Charleston (by 13).

Remember, App State is the team that beat Michigan in football that one time, so there's that.

Gardner likes to get out in transition, but Webb prefers the half court. So it's tough to predict what will happen.

If we do what we do, we should win. If they do what they do, we should win. Only way we could lose is if they do what we do. And we don't.

I, for one, cannot wait. Prediction: Arizona, after a slow start.
Right where I want to be.
KaibabKat

Re: Gardner-Webb

Post by KaibabKat »

Should be comparable in difficulty to Cal State Northridge, Oregon State and USC.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:Biggest game of the year.
Just scored free tickets - sweet!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

22.5 is the spread. Well, according to the Yahoo app on my phone.
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAEebs86 wrote:
gumby wrote:Biggest game of the year.
Just scored free tickets - sweet!
Savvy move trading those Zag tickets for these.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:22.5 is the spread. Well, according to the Yahoo app on my phone.
Is that for Gardner or Webb?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I'm on board with Gumby's assertion that high RPI games spell out RIP for the seeding's if there is a loss. So therefore, the biggest game of the season is tomorrow.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

How much did you all pay to post in this thread again?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UAEebs86 wrote:
gumby wrote:22.5 is the spread. Well, according to the Yahoo app on my phone.
Is that for Gardner or Webb?
I'm a big fan of Gardner but Webb can go fuck himself.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

gumby wrote:Biggest game of the year. If you doubt that, imagine the ignominy in defeat.

So, must win.

Last time out, the Brevard Tornados, D-II school, outrebounded G-W. So I would think we could just toss it up to the backboard and eventually score ... on every possession.

They've lost to LSU (by 11), Seton Hall (by 18), Old Dominion (by 12) and Appalachian State (by 8). However, they did beat Brevard (by 15), have conquered Wofford (by 5), upset Clemson -- ACC!!!! (by 2) and whipped Charleston (by 13).

Remember, App State is the team that beat Michigan in football that one time, so there's that.

Gardner likes to get out in transition, but Webb prefers the half court. So it's tough to predict what will happen.

If we do what we do, we should win. If they do what they do, we should win. Only way we could lose is if they do what we do. And we don't.

I, for one, cannot wait. Prediction: Arizona, after a slow start.
I don't know. I'm thinking we might lose if neither of us do what we do. Or, maybe dont do what we don't do? :shock:
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

22.5 points per yahoo. No spread in Vegas yet? Nobody betting? hmmm

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... s-vegas/2/
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

77-49
gumby

Post by gumby »

Sure, but who wins? Guess we'll have to watch.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

You really suck when you lose to App St. by 8, without even playing them.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
gumby

Post by gumby »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:You really suck when you lose to App St. by 8, without even playing them.
No, I really suck. This changes everything!
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I want to see Tarc assert himself. No way he should have trouble scoring or getting rebounds.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

It would be great if we could use this game to get our guards more confidence shooting the rock.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Brandon Ashley will more than likely put up very impressive numbers tonight.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I want, I want, I want. It's all about us.

Damn right, it is!

I want to see three-point shooters chased off the line. Practice what's needed Saturday. And at least a mediocre start.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

KaibabKat wrote:Brandon Ashley will more than likely put up very impressive numbers tonight.
I was wrong.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

KaibabKat wrote:
KaibabKat wrote:Brandon Ashley will more than likely put up very impressive numbers tonight.
I was wrong.

He did have two impressive fouls...one by slamming his face into a player's elbow and the other by having a perfect defensive stance and not doing anything at all, while the opposing player fell to the floor as if hit by mind bullets.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

G-W did a good job of doubling our bigs. It's a great defensive strategy against our team. Ash and Tarc can't get to the basket the way that Gordon could, so if you double them, they're more than likely going to pop it back out to a guard. When are guards are hitting, like York and SJ did tonight, we're going to be fine. When those perimeter shots aren't falling, we could struggle. We really need some kind of post game. RHJ has looked great when he gets the ball on the wing, but we need more from Ash and Tarc. I was sort of expecting Ashley to be all Pac this year. Not seeing it yet. This weekend's game will be a great measuring stick for how far along we are.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

We executed a couple of near-pro level pick and rolls. If we ever learn to do that consistently in the college game...and we have the point guard and the 3/4 and maybe the 5 in Ristic to finish it...we will be unstoppable. No one runs it particularly well in the college game, but if we can do so a couple of times when teams go man on us and switch, it could be devastating.And we could run it with Brandon, Rondae, or Stanley. TJ has the passing touch to do so.

Good to see Gabe get some shots to fall. He scored, and that was great, but I loved his lob to Rondae. Too often, the passer on the lob flips the ball from the chest. Gabe leaned in almost like a shot, and shotputted the ball with his shooting hand to a spot right in front of the rim, just over rim high. Rondae was going to finish that pass 100% of the time. We have let the lob get away from us a few too many times, and it is usually due to flipping the ball up too high/far. With our wings, we are going to get another 2 or 3 buckets, mostly in spectacular style, with good lob passes. Small thing, but with our wings, good lobs can be a huge weapon.

Yeah, it is Garner Webb...but our PGs went 15 assists to ZERO turnovers, and 23/8 for the team overall, an assist under 3 to 1. We started slow, shot poorly, and missed some chippies (stop me if you have heard this before), but by being on the boards and waking up from sleepwalking on D against an easy opponent after they went from hitting open shots to hitting contested forces, and taking care of the ball, the run was inevitable. Gabe shot us out of a run in the 1st half (after a made three he missed a wide open three then flipped a shot over his head while driving the lane that looked like he was getting rid of a grenade more than shooting a basketball), but was a big part of the 2nd half run around 14 minutes and on that put the game away. We need someone to hit an honest...not great, but honest...amount of open threes. Stanley is coming around, Rondae seems to pick and choose his moments, TJ is still awful but trying, and has other strengths...if Gabe doesn't start hitting some important 3s in bigger games, then it is time for more Pitts. But today was a nice recovery for Gabe.

About twice a game Dusan drops a step or hits a hook that makes me go "oh shit...he might be on to something." If he can get back on D and be a decent defender, that post play could be a developing story with this team...

Wasn't PJC's best or worst game. But I am still pleasantly surprised at what he already offers us. I still want Derrick Thornton, Jr...bad. But PJC has been better than the practice rumors from gameday 1, and it is really helpful that we can go to him for 7 or 8 minutes and not feel overwhelmed. TJ off the court last year was danger time.

Stanley. (tick, tock, tick , tock. He is a bomb waiting to go off...in the good, sports related scoreabunchandbecomeabeast way).
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:G-W did a good job of doubling our bigs. It's a great defensive strategy against our team. Ash and Tarc can't get to the basket the way that Gordon could, so if you double them, they're more than likely going to pop it back out to a guard. When are guards are hitting, like York and SJ did tonight, we're going to be fine. When those perimeter shots aren't falling, we could struggle. We really need some kind of post game. RHJ has looked great when he gets the ball on the wing, but we need more from Ash and Tarc. I was sort of expecting Ashley to be all Pac this year. Not seeing it yet. This weekend's game will be a great measuring stick for how far along we are.
Found it odd that we were doubling the post against such a small team. Maybe that was just practice for Saturday's opponent.
gumby

Post by gumby »

gumby wrote:I want, I want, I want. It's all about us.

Damn right, it is!

I want to see three-point shooters chased off the line. Practice what's needed Saturday. And at least a mediocre start.
Oh well. Still love you guys.