UA results by season, coach, opponent since 1904

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAdevil

UA results by season, coach, opponent since 1904

Post by UAdevil »

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 963f4.html

Cool searchable database from the Daily Star. Fun to browse. I was surprised that Bruce Larson did pretty terribly against ASU in his tenure. 8 wins to 14 losses. Many pretty lopsided.

Lute, 43 and 6 vs ASU. :lol:
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Re: UA results by season, coach, opponent since 1904

Post by Merkin »

Ben Lindsey actually had a lot more closer games than I remember. I was a student then and the team completely ignored him.
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAdevil wrote:http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 963f4.html

Cool searchable database from the Daily Star. Fun to browse. I was surprised that Bruce Larson did pretty terribly against ASU in his tenure. 8 wins to 14 losses. Many pretty lopsided.

Great, thanks. ASU had some good teams and players: Joe Caldwell, Lionel Hollins. I remember their 1974ish team. Hollins, Moon, White, Schrader. Pressed all over the floor. Then Nimphius, Lister, Scott, Lever and others. Then they fired Wulk and never regained that status. I can remember the Zeno brothers. They had Tony. We had Michael.

Then Lute happened. And they floundered with Patterson, Weinhauer, Evans, Frieder (still don't get what he was thinking.)
Right where I want to be.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

gumby wrote:

Great, thanks. ASU had some good teams and players: Joe Caldwell, Lionel Hollins. I remember their 1974ish team. Hollins, Moon, White, Schrader. Pressed all over the floor. Then Nimphius, Lister, Scott, Lever and others. Then they fired Wulk and never regained that status. I can remember the Zeno brothers. They had Tony. We had Michael.

Then Lute happened. And they floundered with Patterson, Weinhauer, Evans, Frieder (still don't get what he was thinking.)
Probably came down for the weather like Lute and to get out of that madhouse UM. Besides, big growing city like ASU; for a guy with limited knowledge of the area, why couldn't it be turned into a powerhouse? Total speculation on my part.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

I forget how close half the losses were in that 2009-2010 first Sean Miller season. I now remember many close games, just like this season, only they'd crumble in the end.

Just a few tweaks, and it could have been a bubble team and extended the all-important Streak.
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAtrue wrote:
gumby wrote:

Probably came down for the weather like Lute and to get out of that madhouse UM. Besides, big growing city like ASU; for a guy with limited knowledge of the area, why couldn't it be turned into a powerhouse? Total speculation on my part.
I'm sure there's some truth to that, but why announce before the tournament? He was a pretty big drinker and gambler. Maybe that caught up with him.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:
UAtrue wrote:
gumby wrote:

I'm sure there's some truth to that, but why announce before the tournament? He was a pretty big drinker and gambler. Maybe that caught up with him.

I always thought it was hilarious that ASU hired a coach who had great players at Michigan but didn't win jack, but as soon as he leaves Fisher coaches them up to a national championship six games later. Great hire ASU!

Saw Coach Larson walking down 6th before the ASU game. Still in good shape for his age.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

Still alive? Must be close to 90.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Close. Born 1926.