Colorado game

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Colorado game

Post by gumby »

Strange game. Booker unconscious. Cats in control. Then seemed to lose interest. Then reasserted. Johnson was good. Ashley rebounded well. Threes from Pitts. Tarc more active offensively, but didn't grab his first rebound until deep into the second half. According to Gimino, he went 43 minutes without a rebound, going back to Oregon. Nonetheless, Cats dominated the boards. Shot well from the line.

Rondae. What's going on there? Looked hangdog. Struggling offensively. Hope he's fired up Saturday. He's critical to controlling Wright.

Btw, Pepperdine's leading scorer and rebounder doesn't start. Rondae hasn't cured the slow starts.
Right where I want to be.
UAtrue

Re: Colorado game

Post by UAtrue »

Nice to see Tarc get aggressive and (mostly) handle the ball for a change. Couldn't stop Booker; he was made of gold until he went down.

Chemistry didnt seem to good today.

Refs seemed to call the game reasonably well for a change too.

Utah is going to be a tough team to beat if we keep playing this way.
gumby

Post by gumby »

https://www.youtube.com/embed/OrFUfJgBliU

Miller presser. Says two biggest positives were Ashley's rebounds (had 11 vs. 8 over the last three games) and Pitts' three-pointers.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I agree that it was an odd game. One of those games where I had my feet up on the coffee table the whole game, instead of stomping around...lots of yawns for me watching.

I was more impressed with the trash talking from Rado, both on the court and off. I'd be willing to state that I think ASSU can pull the upset on them this weekend, even if their two special players actually get time.

Nice game from Booker, he doesn't do that again all year though.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

ASU-CU is a horrible game.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Didn't see the game, of course, but if I were a player whose team just lost by 14, I don't think I'd be running my mouth about how nobody can guard me.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Olsondogg wrote:I agree that it was an odd game. One of those games where I had my feet up on the coffee table the whole game, instead of stomping around...lots of yawns for me watching.

I was more impressed with the trash talking from Rado, both on the court and off. I'd be willing to state that I think ASSU can pull the upset on them this weekend, even if their two special players actually get time.

Agreed, i just kind of sat there and watched, only really got mad when Booker kept hitting ridiculous shots.

Gumby, to your point:

I think we are better when Rondae doesn't start. Sounds weird, but when he and Stanley are in there together there is just no space for RHJ. He has been pretty terrible offensively this year, thank god he is hitting his free throws most nights. I still want him playing 30 mpg and I'm not saying he and Stanley can't play together, but I would prefer having Pitts or York spacing the floor to begin the game. Pitts needs to catch and shoot way more often, just that threat would open things up.

To be fair, I thought Rondae got fouled about 3 or 4 times last night going to the hoop and since he's so strong and hung for so long he didn't get the call, so that sucks.

Where is Brash's offense? We didn't post him up or isolate him once all game. Against a team who had nobody taller than 6'9. If we aren't going to use him then, when will we?

Something about last night's game really got to me. We should have stomped that team minus X and Scott, even with Askia going nuts. Hope they were just preoccupied with Utah and we come out with a real purpose on Saturday. Not that I'll really be able to tell as I watch a garbage pirated stream of the P12 network.

/rant
billk78

Post by billk78 »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I agree that it was an odd game. One of those games where I had my feet up on the coffee table the whole game, instead of stomping around...lots of yawns for me watching.

Agreed, i just kind of sat there and watched, only really got mad when Booker kept hitting ridiculous shots.

Gumby, to your point:

I think we are better when Rondae doesn't start. Sounds weird, but when he and Stanley are in there together there is just no space for RHJ. He has been pretty terrible offensively this year, thank god he is hitting his free throws most nights. I still want him playing 30 mpg and I'm not saying he and Stanley can't play together, but I would prefer having Pitts or York spacing the floor to begin the game. Pitts needs to catch and shoot way more often, just that threat would open things up.

To be fair, I thought Rondae got fouled about 3 or 4 times last night going to the hoop and since he's so strong and hung for so long he didn't get the call, so that sucks.

Where is Brash's offense? We didn't post him up or isolate him once all game. Against a team who had nobody taller than 6'9. If we aren't going to use him then, when will we?

Something about last night's game really got to me. We should have stomped that team minus X and Scott, even with Askia going nuts. Hope they were just preoccupied with Utah and we come out with a real purpose on Saturday. Not that I'll really be able to tell as I watch a garbage pirated stream of the P12 network.

/rant
I also am wondering where the offense from Rondae and Bash has gone. I remember before his injury Ashley could post up with the best of them. Had some great spin moves down low in the post. Could pull up and hit. Really looked like he would become a top scorer.
Maybe it's still the injury or rust coming off it? But I worry he is a little too concerned with proving he can hit threes and shoot from the outside and has gone away from his strength, which is scoring on the interior.

Rondae Im just not sure about. Love his defense and enthusiasm, but the offense just isn't there right now. Seems to lack the confidence to drive. maybe it's because he's getting fouled? Hope he can start scoring more.

TJ played well defensively. Didn't need to score as much tonight. He seems to do what we need from him for the most part.

PJC had some good moments and some bad ones. But I can see this kid being very good for us.

Zeus great job scoring. Finally. The boards will come. Was happy to see some nice moves down low.

Pitts hitting 3s is fantastic.

Stanley may just be the difference maker right now. We need him to continue to step up and be our scorer. Until RHJ and Ashley can show more on the offensive side of the ball, Stanlet is going to have to be the go-to guy. 25+ a night from him and most nights we should be okay.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

If you are upset at last night's game, that's fine. But lets look at it this way...take out Booker's wonderful shooting night...and the rest of the team scored exactly 24 total points, shooting 10/32 from the field, 1/9 from 3, 3/8 from the line.

Granted, Arizona struggles to figure out a zone for a long stretch at the beginning of games and seems to need to work their way into a flow...but they scored 68 points after a very slow start.

I like it when games go like last night and players (Bash, RHJ, and no York at all) didn't play well. It means good things for the next game.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Olsondogg wrote:If you are upset at last night's game, that's fine. But lets look at it this way...take out Booker's wonderful shooting night...and the rest of the team scored exactly 24 total points, shooting 10/32 from the field, 1/9 from 3, 3/8 from the line.

Granted, Arizona struggles to figure out a zone for a long stretch at the beginning of games and seems to need to work their way into a flow...but they scored 68 points after a very slow start.

I like it when games go like last night and players (Bash, RHJ, and no York at all) didn't play well. It means good things for the next game.
I agree with you Olsondogg. Im hoping Zeus can carry over this good game to the next one though. I think more than anything we need more consistency from game to game. And Im looking for the old BASH to come back in the half court offense. I want them to be able to throw the ball inside to him and expect to get an easy 2.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Olsondogg wrote:If you are upset at last night's game, that's fine. But lets look at it this way...take out Booker's wonderful shooting night...and the rest of the team scored exactly 24 total points, shooting 10/32 from the field, 1/9 from 3, 3/8 from the line.

Your point stands, but ya can't really do the bit emphasized above, because Booker's attempts would've gone to someone else. But, for the sake of argument, let's just say that Booker has his average scoring efficiency. On a normal night, Booker scores 21 points on those 17 shot attempts. All of a sudden, the perception of the game changes, doesn't it.

Don't think many people would have been dissatisfied had we beaten CU 68-45!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I have to give Booker a ton of credit, because outside of two blow-by drives to the hoop, his points came on a myriad of really tough shots. I actually thought we played great defense on him after he got the ball, but pretty bad keeping him from getting it in the first place.

I was bored by the game. Seemed like the players were too. Even when we were down early I wasn't really all that worked up. Eh, it's a long season...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Rondae is consistently getting zero respect from the officials. There's nothing terribly wrong with that because that kind of respect is earned. When refs know that you weren't going to score if the guy didn't hit you, or that you should have handed off the ball to an open teammate instead of waiting for that foul, they aren't going to reward you. SJ gets more space than Rondae because his defenders respect his shot, and he's smart enough to drive-and-dish. Rondae needs to get some space by doing the latter instead of just trying to chop his way through this slump.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Tarc improved his rebounding far more than Ashley. He got 1 as opposed to 0. Isn't that infinity times as much?
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:Rondae is consistently getting zero respect from the officials.
Nor his teammates. Lost count of how many times he was calling for the ball and they never gave it to him.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Puerco wrote:

Your point stands, but ya can't really do the bit emphasized above, because Booker's attempts would've gone to someone else. But, for the sake of argument, let's just say that Booker has his average scoring efficiency. On a normal night, Booker scores 21 points on those 17 shot attempts. All of a sudden, the perception of the game changes, doesn't it.

Don't think many people would have been dissatisfied had we beaten CU 68-45!
Honestly I am not sure that Booker's shots would have been attempted by anyone else last night. I mean, I am pretty confident that there might have been a heave here or there to beat a shot clock, but nobody else was scoring on that team last night, so yeah you can take out his points or even his shooting % because he isn't shooting like that again this year. Chi also nailed it above...the defense on Booker was pretty legit aside from a couple buckets. He had a hand in his face and a shadow on top of his body all night.

I mean the dude had a Jimmer-esque performance and his team was down double digits most of the game, and his team only scored in the 50's. I just don't get the shit-talk from such a mediocre program. I guess it is a reflection of their coach.

This brought me to another thought last night...I remember hearing as late as last season about Rado being our "rivals" in the conference. How many teams have claimed that? uCla I guess would have the honor, well...when they are actually good. But it used to be Stanford, and then Oregon for a couple years....and then UW, and then Rado...and my guess is we get to hear about how Utah is now our big rival.

It's Arizona and then 11 other rivals. Let's just take care of business Saturday and sit happily on the throne.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Rondae is consistently getting zero respect from the officials.
Nor his teammates. Lost count of how many times he was calling for the ball and they never gave it to him.
It's his job to call for the ball, but if he's 15-feet or more out, it's his teammates job not to give it to him while zoned. In a man-to-man, they could steal from the play books and let him run iso with the paint cleared and nobody could stop him. For now, our only zone-beaters are SJ, Pitts, and sometimes Ashley, York, and PJC.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Rondae having slow starts but that is to be expected. He's come off his bench the entire time at Arizona, and just recently started. Different mindset. He was used to getting fired up on the bench than going in like a junk yard. Just needs to find that same energy starting, which is more pressure than coming off the bench. He gets a pass for the next few games with me.
az91

Post by az91 »

Puerco wrote:Didn't see the game, of course, but if I were a player whose team just lost by 14, I don't think I'd be running my mouth about how nobody can guard me.
The running of the mouth seems to be a hallmark of Boyle's teams. While we all despise ASU and UCLA on principle, Rado is the least likeable team in the PAC-12.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:
Merkin wrote:
It's his job to call for the ball, but if he's 15-feet or more out, it's his teammates job not to give it to him while zoned. In a man-to-man, they could steal from the play books and let him run iso with the paint cleared and nobody could stop him. For now, our only zone-beaters are SJ, Pitts, and sometimes Ashley, York, and PJC.
I was thinking more of when he was at the free throw line playing point forward. He was open for the pass, but the ball never came to him. Pitts was the zone buster yesterday, but against OSU when no one was hitting the 3s having someone playing point forward usually works.

Apparently his teammates don't think RHJ is a Luke Walton.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Merkin wrote:
I was thinking more of when he was at the free throw line playing point forward. He was open for the pass, but the ball never came to him. Pitts was the zone buster yesterday, but against OSU when no one was hitting the 3s having someone playing point forward usually works.

Apparently his teammates don't think RHJ is a Luke Walton.
Don't get Uncle Doug started again.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

SEVUN!!!!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Ridnour > Gardner :D

Rondae needs to set up on the block. But I repeat myself.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

az91 wrote:
Puerco wrote:Didn't see the game, of course, but if I were a player whose team just lost by 14, I don't think I'd be running my mouth about how nobody can guard me.
The running of the mouth seems to be a hallmark of Boyle's teams. While we all despise ASU and UCLA on principle, Rado is the least likeable team in the PAC-12.
Boyle's little temper tantrum early in the first half when he couldn't sub in his guy was ridiculous. His mock clapping at the scorers table was so fucking infantile. It looked a lot like this...

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?