Too Hilarious

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

psiclist23

Too Hilarious

Post by psiclist23 »

This is a quote from one of OSU's players after Friday nights game: ( in the Oregonian )

"That was definitely a missed opportunity," Schaftenaar said of the Beavers' third Pac-12 road loss this season. "They didn't make a whole lot of shots. I mean, we held them to 57 points. We just weren't really good offensively."

This cliche is idiotic on so many levels but I want to focus on one. OSU didn't hold us to 57 points. What that hold-the-ball style of basketball does is effectively shorten the game. Ballpark, I would guess it was really a 30 minute game. So to extrapolate, had they really played for 40 minutes, the final score would have been about 76 - 45. Defense not so much.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index ... regon.html

edit; clarity
Last edited by psiclist23 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puerco

Re: Too Hilarious

Post by Puerco »

They held us to 40%, close to 10% below our average, so their defense was pretty good. But I agree that Schaftenaar's quote is pretty idiotic overall.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

'That was definitely a missed opportunity....' - Hey Dutchboy, NEVER go full retard! Lol. Well, you did hold us to 23 points more than your score......good job.....were you expecting us to score more of a differential then? :D
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Well just keep that quote handy for when/if we see them again in the pac12 tourney.

Good to know he thought his team's D had an effect on us but our D didn't have an effect on his team.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Add ntOSU to the list with Colorado and Utah as schools that don't understand when they got an ass kicking.

"But if the moon was in the upper night sky, and the wind was traveling from east to west..."
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Every team that loses talks about how they beat themselves and the things they thought they did well. This is really nothing new. Someone nudge me when a player says "we got our asses kicked by a much better team".
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:Every team that loses talks about how they beat themselves and the things they thought they did well. This is really nothing new. Someone nudge me when a player says "we got our asses kicked by a much better team".

I hear you Chi, but there is some serious cognitive dissonance when plays actually still think they were the better team after losing to Arizona. Its like they buy into the same "poor offensive production" tripe that the national media spews and think that if they just tried a bit harder or shot a bit better then they would've come out the victor.

There rarely is any credit given by the team that just got their ass kicked about how our lock-down defense was maybe a tiny factor into there poor offensive outing.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Chicat wrote:Every team that loses talks about how they beat themselves and the things they thought they did well. This is really nothing new. Someone nudge me when a player says "we got our asses kicked by a much better team".

I hear you Chi, but there is some serious cognitive dissonance when plays actually still think they were the better team after losing to Arizona. Its like they buy into the same "poor offensive production" tripe that the national media spews and think that if they just tried a bit harder or shot a bit better then they would've come out the victor.

There rarely is any credit given by the team that just got their ass kicked about how our lock-down defense was maybe a tiny factor into there poor offensive outing.
Altman pretty much said that the Ducks got their asses kicked by a much better team (referring to Arizona) in the pregame interview before the ASU game last night.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:

But every coach in America spends every practice, film session, exhibition game, and so on drilling it into his players' heads that the only way they are going to get beat is if they beat themselves. That if they play their game, they are unbeatable. It's just a part of instilling a culture of being willing and able to beat anyone anywhere.

So we shouldn't be surprised when players look internally when answering questions about why they lost. Their whole focus is on what they did, did not do, and did not do well enough. Fans of the winning team may want the losing players to talk about how good their team is but it's simply not their focus.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

fair enough, but they should also coaching them on not saying idiotic things in the media post game.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Harvey Specter wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Altman pretty much said that the Ducks got their asses kicked by a much better team (referring to Arizona) in the pregame interview before the ASU game last night.
Thanks for letting me know, didn't see this.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

The first game was a fluke and the results of yesterday prove it and they can accept it.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

If OSU had made that last second, 23 point shot, the game would have gone into overtime. Definitely a missed opportunity.

Go Cats!!
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Thanks for letting me know, I didn't see this.
Additionally, I'm pretty sure he did the same when we whooped them at Oregon too.....right after he stated he wouldn't be answering any questions on the rape lawsuit that is.