Utah

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cats101

Utah

Post by cats101 »

Huge game Saturday, biggest I can remember in the conference in a long long time. CAL-ASSU 09? (terrible year for the conference obviously).

CATS pretty much wrap up the PAC12 with a win. Utah has improved a bunch since the first matchup. I'm actually impressed.

Do the CATS win round 2?

Predictions?

I'm making the trip so I'm pretty pumped.
ASUHATER!

Re: Utah

Post by ASUHATER! »

Utah is playing great basketball, especially at home. This is our toughest game of the season. have to pick Utah in a close one by 4.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
gumby

Post by gumby »

We'll score more than nine in the first half. Cats by 7. We can defend.
Right where I want to be.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Cats by 10
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We're winning on Saturday, maybe not by 10, but we're winning.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Be prepared to consider all of the dimensions of this:

The Utah game will be the toughest game of the season up until this point and for the rest of the season and post-season, even if Arizona reaches the national championship game.
Zero

Post by Zero »

ASUHATER! wrote:Utah is playing great basketball, especially at home. This is our toughest game of the season. have to pick Utah in a close one by 4.
1-1 in their last two.

I like Arizona by 7. This is the big time and the majority of Arizona players have been there. Utah wilted like a weed in McKale.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Can the pundits tap the brakes on the hammered-to-death idea that Arizona is bad on the road?

UNLV...that is the one that stands out as really bad. And it was really bad. And it was in December. The year was 2014.

Time for this "Arizona struggles on the road" bit to change to "Arizona had a really bad non-conference loss on the road back before the turn of the year. Since conference play began, the Cats have gone 6-2 on the road, with the losses to middle-of-the-PAC teams Oregon State and ASU, by a combined 5 points. The Cats look to sweep an out of state conference road trip for the 3rd time in 4 opportunities on Saturday vs #13 Utah."

Our road "woes" have been totally overblown. Losing 2 conference games in 15...would it somehow have been better to lose at home? Average margin of victory on the conference road? 21.1 ppg.

Cats win 68-65 in SLC on Saturday
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Cats win by a lot.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Longhorned wrote:Be prepared to consider all of the dimensions of this:

The Utah game will be the toughest game of the season up until this point and for the rest of the season and post-season, even if Arizona reaches the national championship game.
I do not think that at Utah will be tougher than Kentucky or Virginia or Duke or Wisconsin or Villanova on a neutral court. Utah is good but not that good.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

EVCat wrote:Can the pundits tap the brakes on the hammered-to-death idea that Arizona is bad on the road?

UNLV...that is the one that stands out as really bad. And it was really bad. And it was in December. The year was 2014.

Time for this "Arizona struggles on the road" bit to change to "Arizona had a really bad non-conference loss on the road back before the turn of the year. Since conference play began, the Cats have gone 6-2 on the road, with the losses to middle-of-the-PAC teams Oregon State and ASU, by a combined 5 points. The Cats look to sweep an out of state conference road trip for the 3rd time in 4 opportunities on Saturday vs #13 Utah."

Our road "woes" have been totally overblown. Losing 2 conference games in 15...would it somehow have been better to lose at home? Average margin of victory on the conference road? 21.1 ppg.

Sorry but assu was better than 3 points vs UA in that game, agree with your overall point though.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Utah just punked a team that beat the cats by over 40. Utah by less than 10.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:Utah just punked a team that beat the cats by over 40. Utah by less than 10.
Oh no you didn't just go transitive did you? Utes just lost by 10 to a team we just beat by 10 (UCLA). Cats win by 10?
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

waysouthcat wrote:
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:Utah just punked a team that beat the cats by over 40. Utah by less than 10.
Oh no you didn't just go transitive did you? Utes just lost by 10 to a team we just beat by 10 (UCLA). Cats win by 10?
None of the teams Arizona lost to was even close to as good as Utah. Plus, road game at elevation. This years version of Arizona tends to 'coast', probably won't get it done in SLC...unless they are really hungry.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

PHXCATS wrote:

I do not think that at Utah will be tougher than Kentucky or Virginia or Duke or Wisconsin or Villanova on a neutral court. Utah is good but not that good.
Villanova is 0.9498 on kenpom right now. Utah is 0.9497. Utah IS that good. The ranking disparity is standard East Coast bias: we see it every year.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Puerco wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Villanova is 0.9498 on kenpom right now. Utah is 0.9497. Utah IS that good. The ranking disparity is standard East Coast bias: we see it every year.
Yep. Outside of Duke's win at Virginia and Miami's win at Duke, I can't think of a road win in all of college basketball so far this year that would be as challenging and impressive as a win at Utah. Can anybody here make the argument for one?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

... and look at the sheer margins of victory that Utah enjoys at home. Beyond what Kenpom indicates, try out this thought experiment: Imagine if Utah had played every team that Kentucky has played this season but all of the games at home in Salt Lake City. Do you think Utah wouldn't be undefeated?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Nope. Nope.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

Must be the Jack Mormon speaking. Don't forget Duke over Wisconsin.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:
waysouthcat wrote:
None of the teams Arizona lost to was even close to as good as Utah. Plus, road game at elevation. This years version of Arizona tends to 'coast', probably won't get it done in SLC...unless they are really hungry.
Boulder is at elevation. None of the teams Utan has lost to is as good as Arizona, except Arizona. The prospect of coasting in a big game is dim.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Fun fact: York's numbers are much better on the road. La Ciudad de York!
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:
waysouthcat wrote:
Zero chance they 'coast'. How is that possible in a game like this? It's an absolute collision at the top with the conference title at stake. It must be really suck to be a 'fan' of such a lazy and distracted team. Got us earmarked for a first-round NCAA exit too?

Oh and they just played a road game at elevation. How did they look? And all the teams we've played that are 'as good as Utah', we've beaten. How did @Oregon work out for both teams?

Cats storm back big in second half, take it by a half a dozen. Despite playing the game at the Mt Everest base camp.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:Must be the Jack Mormon speaking. Don't forget Duke over Wisconsin.
Thanks. That makes three as or more impressive. Duke arguably will enter the tourney having met two bigger challenges than any they'll face again even if they make it to the final Monday.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Utah is soft and Arizona has been murdering teams as of late. Cats win.
gumby

Post by gumby »

PJC amd Ristic were coasting while injured.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I think Utah is good. Key word being "think" because they haven't beaten anyone. When one of your two best wins is against a mediocre uCla team whom also returned the favor and beat you by double digits at home...who knows what to think?

I do know that the Utah grad at my work was suddenly running his mouth at work before the game in Mckale, then he got quiet, and then managed to start running it again last night when they beat ASU.

Funny thing is that the cats will win Saturday.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It will be really interesting to see the Vegas line when it comes out. I think Arizona will win, but I'm an Arizona fan. It's hard to imagine a line favoring a visiting team at Utah when there's skin in the game.
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:
waysouthcat wrote:
I feel pretty confident saying that the elevation will have no effect on our team of 18-22 year olds.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAGreg wrote:
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:
waysouthcat wrote:
I feel pretty confident saying that the elevation will have no effect on our team of 18-22 year olds.
But they just looked so winded at Colorado yesterday.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Quite interested to see what zebras Larry Scott trots out in one of the most hyped, nationally televised games of the season.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Cats haven't played a tourney level game in a long, long time

I can't wait until sat.

We are going to see what this team is actually made of. If Zeus, Ashley, and York all contribute I like our chances
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Olsondogg wrote:Quite interested to see what zebras Larry Scott trots out in one of the most hyped, nationally televised games of the season.
No sh*t. Cats if they are allowed to play physically coild win easily again. Whistles rain down and it becomes a struggle.

This is just a game though where in spite of his Ceiling, i really like having Miller as coach. His toughness translates to the floor and we win by 5
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Longhorned wrote:
Yep. Outside of Duke's win at Virginia and Miami's win at Duke, I can't think of a road win in all of college basketball so far this year that would be as challenging and impressive as a win at Utah. Can anybody here make the argument for one?
Kentucky at Auburn was pretty tough.
gumby

Post by gumby »

We have Rondae. If he can cut off the head of the snake again, no problem. Wonder if they'll used that press that messed with ASU?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

gumby wrote:We have Rondae. If he can cut off the head of the snake again, no problem. Wonder if they'll used that press that messed with ASU?
I'd be shocked if they pressed us. It's pretty clear that a team run by TJM is, essentially, unpressable (if you'll allow me to make up a word)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Utah is a good team. Especially at home, they can beat us. This should be a great late season barometer game. We've risen to the challenging games all year (it's the little guys that give us trouble) but this is a great chance to get ready for March with a showdown.

We have guys to throw at Wright and bigs to match them, and that enables us to counter their two biggest strengths. I'm excited for this one.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:Fun fact: York's numbers are much better on the road. La Ciudad de York!
#YorkTimeShare
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

how well 'tah or Az are playing now only matters to a degree. What matters most is if 'Tah does like the first game and goes with strict M2M the entire game, instead of a middle-jamming zone that forces Az outside for shots.

Im guessing tah is still clueless, or they Kryzetelwack is like Miller and refuses to zone D?

Either way, Cats by 6
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RiseAndFire wrote:how well 'tah or Az are playing now only matters to a degree. What matters most is if 'Tah does like the first game and goes with strict M2M the entire game, instead of a middle-jamming zone that forces Az outside for shots.

Im guessing tah is still clueless, or they Kryzetelwack is like Miller and refuses to zone D?

Either way, Cats by 6
Like dcZonaFan said, this is why they should do the opposite of pressing Arizona. They better find a way to get a good shot, and then forgo crashing offensive glass and get themselves back into their zone as fast as they possibly can. If Arizona beats Utah again when they're showing a strict man-to-man, that will almost be an insult to the game.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
gumby wrote:We have Rondae. If he can cut off the head of the snake again, no problem. Wonder if they'll used that press that messed with ASU?
I'd be shocked if they pressed us. It's pretty clear that a team run by TJM is, essentially, unpressable (if you'll allow me to make up a word)
PJC is pretty good at breaking the press too. And we've got athletes who can go up and get passes over the top in RHJ and Stanley. I don't think you want to press us because spreading the floor plays right into our hands. Plus they really don't want to speed us up. Making us take bad shots at the end of the shot clock is Utah's recipe for a win. But can they play defense solidly for 30+ seconds?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
PJC is pretty good at breaking the press too. And we've got athletes who can go up and get passes over the top in RHJ and Stanley. I don't think you want to press us because spreading the floor plays right into our hands. Plus they really don't want to speed us up. Making us take bad shots at the end of the shot clock is Utah's recipe for a win. But can they play defense solidly for 30+ seconds?
Yeah, pressing Arizona is like cooking blindfolded in somebody else's kitchen. You better hope you just burn the house down, because the product will be pure fail.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I expect a real zone this time from Tah...

But who really fucking cares. Do what we do.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Tah is nreal. Wouldn't nderestimate them. Jump on Tah early and we can surp the homecourt energy.

No way we're the nderdog.

(Say, that does save time, especially if you move your lips while typing.)
gumby

Post by gumby »

EVCat wrote:Can the pundits tap the brakes on the hammered-to-death idea that Arizona is bad on the road?

Javier Morales: "Last year’s team, perceived to be more dominant with an eight-week run at No. 1, had an average scoring margin on the road of almost four points lower at 7.8."
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I think they will zone too which is interesting considering ntCoach K comments before the first game.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:
gumby wrote:Fun fact: York's numbers are much better on the road. La Ciudad de York!
#YorkTimeShare
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Man im scared but man, im pumped. I might go get that new TV today!
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

so pumped for this game. the huntsman center will be downright nasty, which is awesome. 'tah has good, loyal fans, and a lot of them still have a bitter taste in their mouth with Arizona going back to last football season when Anu hung up 42 pts in SLC.

gotta win this one, not just for the conf title and seeding and peaking and recruiting and blahblahblah, but also because 'tah lost to ku (unacceptable!) and the rpi calculus is transitive. :D
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

CBCat wrote:Man im scared but man, im pumped. I might go get that new TV today!
this game is def new TVworthy