The Charge

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cpt

The Charge

Post by cpt »

I purposely have not looked at this video since it happened. I did this morning and it made my blood boil all over again. Just an unbelievable call. You don't make this call in these circumstances. Never, never, never. To me, one of the worst calls in NCAA history.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S8PbrhMYh84" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
cpt

Re: The Charge

Post by cpt »

If that doesn't work, try this: https://youtu.be/S8PbrhMYh84
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Is that a phone video of a TV screen? If you just youtube the whole game, you'll get the right footage with the replays and different angles.

What happened on that play was incidental conflict initiated by the defender (bump), with an incidental response by the driver (spacing to play through the initial contact allowed). No foul is ever called in either direction on that play. Ever. If you're going to screw someone on that, you screw the player who initiated the contact, but you shouldn't do that, either. That was an absolutely horrendous call that was tantamount to disrespecting the game. That official did it twice last season. If he didn't like the attention it got him, then he shouldn't be seeking attention for himself at the end of games.

Like all game long, Rondae was in position underneath for the put-back.

Of course, on the ensuing inbound play, it was again Rondae who forced the turnover to get it back. Stanley Johnson will have the big game today, but Rondae Hollis-Jefferson is Wisconsin's worst nightmare.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I get sick watching this! I hope miller just replays this for the team!!!!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

3goggles wrote:I get sick watching this! I hope miller just replays this for the team!!!!
I don't. That would put my on my heels and make me play like a wuss.
cpt

Post by cpt »

Longhorned wrote:Is that a phone video of a TV screen? If you just youtube the whole game, you'll get the right footage with the replays and different angles.
I actually like the grainy quality of this replay...it's like a news broadcast from a convenience store...you know a crime is about to be committed - and there was.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

cpt wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Is that a phone video of a TV screen? If you just youtube the whole game, you'll get the right footage with the replays and different angles.
I actually like the grainy quality of this replay...it's like a news broadcast from a convenience store...you know a crime is about to be committed - and there was.
You're right. There should be close-up still-shots of the perpetrator in black-and-white. I mean that official.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I watched that game at the Rialto. Packed house. When that call was made... that's probably the angriest building I've ever been in.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just can't watch it. Once was enough
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Can't watch. I have more anger over that than the 2005 game.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I walked out of the sportsbar I was in when the call happened. Horrible call that should never be made in that situation.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Biggest horseshit call on an AZ player since Loren Woods's goaltending.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

cpt wrote:I purposely have not looked at this video since it happened. I did this morning and it made my blood boil all over again. Just an unbelievable call. You don't make this call in these circumstances. Never, never, never. To me, one of the worst calls in NCAA history.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S8PbrhMYh84" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Bad call but lets not exaggerate...........hardly one of the "worst calls" in NCAA history. Just a bad call at a very bad time.

What I find interesting about the call is that it was made by the same official who made, what most consider, a very bad call that same year in the Duke/Syracuse game. It highlights the problem we have with some officials (they are in the minority) that think that they are part of the game and that, like players who make big plays, they need to make "big calls". Officials like this fellow should be shown the door.

Note: If anyone really wants to see something resembling a "Worst call in NCAA history" I suggest watching a tape of the 2001 National Semi-Final game between Maryland/Duke. To this day that game remains the one time that I honestly thought that money/mob might be involved. The degree to which Maryland got hosed was unbelievable.