Lute coaching tree

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Lute coaching tree

Post by Merkin »

azcat49

Re: Lute coaching tree

Post by azcat49 »

Man that goes way back on the tree. Early Lute years. Think he was at Texas San Antonio
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Incarnate Word is legit. I'd coach there if I had ability to do something.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Merkin wrote:
Wow! Thanks for posting that. I wondered how a school with that name could give the Big Boys so much trouble. Now I attribute it to the Olson Coaching Tree.

But 22 points over Chris Mullins (There is an "s" on the end, isn't there, Javier?) and the Johns, Amazing! Not all ex-NBAers have the Steve Kerr magic. I almost incuded Luke with Kerrrrrr, then remembered that Walton had a month or so under Josh (which camera is on) Pastner.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Wow! Thanks for posting that. I wondered how a school with that name could give the Big Boys so much trouble. Now I attribute it to the Olson Coaching Tree.

But 22 points over Chris Mullins (There is an "s" on the end, isn't there, Javier?) and the Johns, Amazing! Not all ex-NBAers have the Steve Kerr magic. I almost incuded Luke with Kerrrrrr, then remembered that Walton had a month or so under Josh (which camera is on) Pastner.
No S.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sucks for Luke.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Merkin wrote:Sucks for Luke.
Maybe. Depends on what they get.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Seems like an odd statement though. They should be desperate to get Ingram or Simmons to replace Kobe.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Not sure why that sucks for Lute, it could be great. Wiggins was a number 1 and was traded for arguably one of the top 5 players in the NBA at the time (Kevin Love). Webber was traded for what ended up being Penny Hardaway, Mike Miller, and Vince Carter when he was the #1 pick. So its not like if they trade the #1 they won't be getting something big in return.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Mike Bibby's dad is trying for the Sac Kings coaching position. Says he will bring in Mike as an assistant. Lots of tidbits in the article about these guys, various connections in the league, supposedly how coaches get hired, Mike and Henry's relationship, all the places Henry has coached.

I didnt know Henry and Mike mended their strained relationship. Doesnt say much about it though. I copied the entire article here because these links go to archives after a little while and are usually hard to locate when that happens:

Henry Bibby coached in the Continental Basketball Association against Phil Jackson, George Karl and Flip Saunders and won his share of games.

Jackson, Karl and Saunders became successful NBA coaches, and Bibby, 66, said Wednesday he wants an opportunity to prove he can lead an NBA team, too.

“It’s my time,” said Bibby, who will interview with the Kings on Monday as they continue their wide-ranging search for a coach to replace George Karl. Karl was fired after the Kings’ 33-49 record this season fell short of general manager Vlade Divac’s playoff expectations.

The Kings’ long list of candidates is shorter after Kevin McHale, a leading candidate, withdrew from consideration, according to a source.

Bibby, a longtime NBA assistant coach after nine seasons as the head coach at USC and most of one with the Los Angeles Sparks of the WNBA, has several connections to the Kings, including his son, Mike, who played for the team from 2001 until 2007, and relationships with Divac and players Rudy Gay and Rajon Rondo.

Henry Bibby said he and Mike asked Divac to give the father an interview with the Kings, believing he could help turn the team around.

“I never got the break,” Bibby, whose last NBA coaching job was as a Detroit Pistons assistant in 2014, said about never being a head coach in the league. “And this business, it’s all connections.”

Bibby said if he’s hired, Mike will be on his staff. Bibby said their once-strained relationship is in the past and they’ve been on good terms for the past 15 years or so. Henry Bibby said he’d bring accountability and defense to the Kings.

“What I’m trying to get back is what Vlade used to have up there, the old Sacramento Kings,” Bibby said. “I want to get that back again, that excitement. They played as a team. They ran that corner offense, and that’s what I’d run. I’d put (center) DeMarcus (Cousins) where Vlade was (on offense), and you play basketball with (Rajon) Rondo, (Ben) McLemore and guys like that.”

Bibby – who has won championships as a player or coach in college, the CBA and the NBA – said the coaches he played for, especially John Wooden at UCLA and Red Holzman with the New York Knicks, helped mold him

Bibby also said he can coach moody players, something he did in the CBA with Anthony Mason and in Memphis with Zach Randolph.

Bibby said Randolph blossomed with the Grizzlies, and the Kings candidate expressed no concerns about coaching Cousins.

“That was the word on Zach – nobody could coach Zach,” Bibby said. “Zach is a model citizen when he might not have been when he was 22, 23, 24, and he still gets off track just a little bit. Plus Zach didn’t like to give up his money, and DeMarcus gives up his money (in fines) too easy. So I’m going to try to help him keep some of that money and put it in his pocket. Don’t give it to the league.”

Bibby said Cousins is maturing and that he could help Cousins become the team’s leader.

“He’s so good, he expects everybody else to be that good,” Bibby said. “That’s what (stars) expect. I played with Julius Erving, Pete Maravich, all these guys who think (everyone) should be as good. … That’s what he has to realize: People can’t do what he does, and he has to let people do what they can do and be OK with it. At the end of the game, we’re going to give him the ball and let him do it, and that’s what going to happen.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacram ... rylink=cpy" target="_blank
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I don't see how having played under Lute qualifies one as a member of "Lute's Coaching Tree" - I think having coached with/under Lute would be the necessary condition for such a designation...

So, I guess Luke Walton should be considered as a member of "Josh Pastner's Coaching Tree", eh? :shock:
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Since Pastner coached under Lute, and Walton under Pastner that would be part of Lute's coaching tree. See these coaching trees for an example of descendants.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Saw a Paul George rumor yesterday. If they're fishing in that pond, there's nothing wrong with that.

No Kevin O'Neill mentions in this thread yet?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pc in NM wrote:I don't see how having played under Lute qualifies one as a member of "Lute's Coaching Tree" - I think having coached with/under Lute would be the necessary condition for such a designation...

So, I guess Luke Walton should be considered as a member of "Josh Pastner's Coaching Tree", eh? :shock:
Nah.

Walton coached under Steve Kerr, who was once employed by Ted Turner, who was once married to Jane Fonda, who nototiously protested US involvement in Vietnam, which is interpereted by many as support of Communism, which originated with Karl Marx. So really, Walton is just another Marxist puppet.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

pc in NM wrote:I don't see how having played under Lute qualifies one as a member of "Lute's Coaching Tree" - I think having coached with/under Lute would be the necessary condition for such a designation...
A strict interpretation would be that approach, but I like to think that players learned coaching skills from the master too.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

gronk4heisman wrote:Not sure why that sucks for Lute, it could be great. Wiggins was a number 1 and was traded for arguably one of the top 5 players in the NBA at the time (Kevin Love). Webber was traded for what ended up being Penny Hardaway, Mike Miller, and Vince Carter when he was the #1 pick. So its not like if they trade the #1 they won't be getting something big in return.
In addition to giving up Wiggins, the Cavs also had to give up Anthony Bennett 13 months after he was the first pick in the draft, a 1st round pick, and a trade exception. I wont argue Love was a top 5 at the time, (I feel hes always been in that 5-10 range at his best), but you also got to remember the Cavs were more eager to throw away whatever not named Kyrie Irving to get Love because Lebron came back to Cleveland and began running/taking over that whole organization. I mean, we were pretty close to that being a hilarious trade, with no ring and Love being out with injury on a one year rental and leaving Cleveland as a free agent after one year, had Lebron not played kissy kissy on his rear end in the offseason.

I think the Lakers are better off taking Ingram and calling it a day, unless someone offers them a too good to refuse deal, which I don't see happening. I like Ingram as a player, think he is gonna be very good, I just dont see him as this game changer to where a crap or rebuilding team is going to hand them a top 10 player unless they throw out a few more sweet things to sweeten up the deal (ie, one of their young studs). Curry, Lillard (huge extension), Lebron (how he is structuring his contracts), Draymond, Westbrook (Thunder wont give him up for just that even if KD leaves), Durant (FA), Leonard. Lowry has one year left on his contact, but the Raptors are also the 2nd best team in the eastern conference. Unless I am forgetting someone, that leaves you with Demarcus Cousins.... If the Lakers want to give up the rights to Ingram (or Simmons) for him, be my guest. Stock pile your top 10 picks and Clarkson, take Ingram, and if down the road they all pan out to be all stars or close and you cannot afford to re-sign all of them, then you can move one like the Thunder did with Harden and pick up the last few pieces in role players.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I bet they flip it for Paul George
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »