To live and die against LA schools

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

To live and die against LA schools

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So, what do we need to do for 0-2 in LA to become 2-0 in Tucson?

First issue is, as usual, defense. I think we set up better for UCLA's roster than we do SC's. Of course we need to guard Alford, but they have fewer ways to hurt us and we match up well with their two bigs. SC's perimeter offense is the sort of thing that has given us issues.

How healthy is Trier? He looked ok versus UW, but never really got into the flow with the fouls. Having him closer to himself gives us a weapon we need.

Do we get their best? We did in LA. UCLA played their best or second best game of the year against us, and SC was good. UCLA has looked bad lately, which probably is a precursor to them playing lights out vs us.
UAEebs86

Re: To live and die against LA schools

Post by UAEebs86 »

Everybody have fun tonight.
Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:Everybody have fun tonight.
Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Makaveli. I don't Wang Chung.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ok, to be clearer:

1. Bomb first. How well will we handle USC's ability to spread the floor and shoot from the perimeter? We've had trouble with it in the past. SC takes a lot of threes and hits them at 37%, so we'd better have an answer.

2. Hail Mary. You know why UCLA concerns me? Because they've played poorly, but this would be exactly the game they absolve their mediocre season with.

3. Toss It Up. SC is averaging 84 ppg. We need to be able to attack them on D, but need to score with them. Enfield's latest Dunk City iteration can put up numbers.

4. To Live and Die in LA. Well, they are the LA schools.

5. Blasphemy. Are there lasting effects from Miller's argument with Zeus? No, so stop blaspheming Miller's name. Zeus is grown enough to take it.

6. Life of an Outlaw. Does Gabe regain a conscience about shooting now that Trier is back. I get that we needed him to produce without Zo, but if Zo is ready, now we need a little discretion.

7. Just Like Daddy. Do we do a better job limiting Bryce Alford this time around?

8. Krazy. I have a hard time envisioning a world in which we have a sub-.500 record against the LA schools, especially the way they are performing this year. SC is good but beatable. I would be surprised if we did not get at least one close game, so we'd better be ready.

9. White Manz World. Our 2 headed pale horse of a center has been producing at an epic pace. It doesn't have to be Zeus or Deuce, because they are giving us a full 40 of excellence.

10. Me and My Girlfriend. Ryan Anderson has unloaded all his "girlfriends" on the opposition lately. Now he has a shot at making up for his weakest stretch of the year.

11. Hold Ya Head. We have a recurrent issue with mental focus and dumb to's. Do we play sharper?

12. Against All Odds. Look, we've had a bad run of luck this year. We're back to a relatively full complement of players, and it is time to begin building for March. Hopefully, this homestand is a continuation of the momentum we built in Washington and the result is turning bad luck into success.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So you know how last week I said we'd win two games in Washington? Same goes here. We're going 2-0 this week.

Still don't think we'll win the Pac reg season unless OR stumbles in a very unexpected way. But we're going to finish solidly at 2nd, probably lose on Fri or Sat in Vegas, and then get a 4 or 5 seed in the Dance.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

My first LA visit is this weekend (woulda been nice if we were visiting this week instead of the other way around) so I might have to find a bar to watch the game. Any UA bars worthy of a visit Friday night?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dcZONAfan wrote: Any UA bars worthy of a visit Friday night?
Depends on which part of L.A. you'll be in.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Apparently I'll be staying in the Valley - north and west....
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Zeus can't have that Me Against the World mentality if he wants to break into and remain in the league. There were So Many Tearz by some of our fans after Miller went Krazy on Zeus. But Miller basically said Only God Can Judge Me, so he's clearly Old School. Probably told Zeus, "Keep Ya Head Up." And clearly, based on Gabe York's field goal attempts per game, Miller has told Gabe "It's All About U," because Gabe obviously tells himself I Got My Mind Made Up before he even realizes he is 15 feet beyond the arc.

But it's a new week, and clearly there isn't much California Love after the 0-2 road trip. One key is whether Kadeem and PJC can resist their Temptations to feed the ball into the low post when it's not there. Also, is Trier going to shake that rust and play carefree and without Pain? I don't think UCLA or USC will throw full court pressure at us unless it gets out of hand late, so no need to worry about our guards being Trapped in a corner. We do all that and we will still be Heavy in the Game, and Lord Knows we would love to have another conference title in Tucson and a better seed in the NCAAs. As a 5 seed, you can practically see Death Around the Corner in that 12 seed.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

These schools barely beat us in LA, we handle them with ease at home. I liked what I saw in WA and we will continue that here against the LA schools.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

rgdeuce wrote:Zeus can't have that Me Against the World mentality if he wants to break into and remain in the league. There were So Many Tearz by some of our fans after Miller went Krazy on Zeus. But Miller basically said Only God Can Judge Me, so he's clearly Old School. Probably told Zeus, "Keep Ya Head Up." And clearly, based on Gabe York's field goal attempts per game, Miller has told Gabe "It's All About U," because Gabe obviously tells himself I Got My Mind Made Up before he even realizes he is 15 feet beyond the arc.

But it's a new week, and clearly there isn't much California Love after the 0-2 road trip. One key is whether Kadeem and PJC can resist their Temptations to feed the ball into the low post when the it's not there. Also, is Trier going to shake that rust and play carefree and without Pain? I don't think UCLA or USC will throw a full court pressure at us unless it gets out of hand late, so no need to worry about our guards being Trapped in a corner. We do all that and we will still be Heavy in the Game, and Lord Knows we would love to have another conference title in Tucson and a better seed in the NCAAs. As a 5 seed, you can practically see Death Around the Corner in that 12 seed.

Regardless of how we play this weekend Life Goes On, cause we likely have 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted in Lauri and Josh Jackson coming in next year when there will be No More Pain. So Keep Ya Head Up and tell me How Do U Want It.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Zeus can't have that Me Against the World mentality if he wants to break into and remain in the league. There were So Many Tearz by some of our fans after Miller went Krazy on Zeus. But Miller basically said Only God Can Judge Me, so he's clearly Old School. Probably told Zeus, "Keep Ya Head Up." And clearly, based on Gabe York's field goal attempts per game, Miller has told Gabe "It's All About U," because Gabe obviously tells himself I Got My Mind Made Up before he even realizes he is 15 feet beyond the arc.

But it's a new week, and clearly there isn't much California Love after the 0-2 road trip. One key is whether Kadeem and PJC can resist their Temptations to feed the ball into the low post when the it's not there. Also, is Trier going to shake that rust and play carefree and without Pain? I don't think UCLA or USC will throw a full court pressure at us unless it gets out of hand late, so no need to worry about our guards being Trapped in a corner. We do all that and we will still be Heavy in the Game, and Lord Knows we would love to have another conference title in Tucson and a better seed in the NCAAs. As a 5 seed, you can practically see Death Around the Corner in that 12 seed.

Regardless of how we play this weekend Life Goes On, cause we likely have 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted in Lauri and Josh Jackson coming in next year when there will be No More Pain. So Keep Ya Head Up and tell me How Do U Want It.
Dear Mama, there are a lot of song references in these posts but the bottom line is that while I could picture us rolling over the LA schools, my last wordz would be that I don't think I'll ever feel comfortable with us against a good team.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

thread of the year
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Picture me Rollin in a 2017 National Champions T-Shirt
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Main Event wrote:thread of the year
Poetic Justice for some of the other threads around here.
-JB
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Poetic Justice for some of the other threads around here.
In that case, we need to play above the rim and really pour on the juice against the LA schools. We can't get gridlock'd on offense with silly turnovers or we'll be nothing but a backup dancer for Digital Underground.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If you ever think this thread is dead, it will get bumped. Yeah, you may wonder if it is just my attempt to get some cheap cash off the legacy of this week, but I get a feeling it will never die.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spliff, this may be the realest shit you ever wrote.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Spliff, this may be the realest shit you ever wrote.
I wrote this **** in 94.

https://youtu.be/egIWskTD5J8" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Where's the love for Big though?

Without Warning, our loaded teams have lost to guys having Unbelievable nights. We keep falling short of the goal - some of us say "F-ck me," and some are Ready To Die and start having Suicidal Thoughts. We want that Juicy final four, so the program under Miller can finally Kick In the Door and get that last bit of Respect. And if we are playing on the Last Day of the tourney, even better. As much as I'd like One More Chance at that Wisconsin team, I am glad we won't have to see Kaminsky and Dekker in Another game. Hopefully this year, Things Done Changed and I Got a Story To Tell my grand kids down the road. If not, the 2016 team is shaping up nicely; land JJ and Sky's The Limit.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Where's the love for Big though?

Without Warning, our loaded teams have lost to guys having Unbelievable nights. We keep falling short of the goal - some of us say "F-ck me," and some are Ready To Die and start having Suicidal Thoughts. We want that Juicy final four, so the program under Miller can finally Kick In the Door and get that last bit of Respect. And if we are playing on the Last Day of the tourney, even better. As much as I'd like One More Chance at that Wisconsin team, I am glad we won't have to see Kaminsky and Dekker in Another game. Hopefully this year, Things Done Changed and I Got a Story To Tell my grand kids down the road. If not, the 2016 team is shaping up nicely; land JJ and Sky's The Limit.
Because it's not all about the benjamins. We aren't Louisville, we ride for the west side.

Nothing would make me happier than to give it to the LA schools doggystyle. We give them the vapors, ask them what's my name, and even if murder's the case they give us, we just tell them "b***h please." Unfortunately, we have a ball security issue and tend to go through stretches where we drop it like it's hot. Play things right and Miller will be sipping on Gin and Juice on the sidelines. We just don't want to wind up getting deez nuts, but I feel we have good chance if they let us ride.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I guess I'm a little more old school. It's Tricky playing two schools of this quality, even if it's at home. The 'Cats just need to send The Message that the PAC-12 title still goes through Tucson. Friday, who cares if coach's son is crowing about My Adidas. We are Nike through and through. Against U$C, they just need to Push It and Bust a Move. Fight for Your Right to the #1 seed in the PAC-12 tourney. It's Like That.
-JB
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I'm right there with you with the old school.

I guess The Message Miller is trying to convey is, I'm Still #1, and there will be no Ego Trippin at Arizona. No matter the Scenario, there Aint No Half Steppin here; nastiness, defense, and hustle are expected and required. Miller flat out told the press "this is My Philosophy" knowing all these detractors will be catching the Vapors come March when the team is a well-oiled machine. I fully expect them to Bring The Noise. Still, I Don't Believe The Hype about Cal or Cuonzo, we are still Top Billin out west, and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to Slow Down and think about where Cuonzo will be once Rabb and Brown are Paid In Full in the NBA and no longer on campus. Regardless, Miller is the Smooth Operator in this story, and with next years class we are gonna have a team with polished and Raw talent moving forward. Guess those are The Breaks for every other Pac 12 team. Oh yea, Basketball.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This is so not a thread about our games tonight and Sunday.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:This is so not a thread about our games tonight and Sunday.
This thread is whatever you want it to be. I stand by my 7 Day Theory tracklist as representative of major issues in the two games.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

One down, but a tough opponent still left. We basically didn't show up for the first half, so we'll need a full game vs USC.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

You know, as much as I hate to reference posthumous work, this weekend had me thinking about better dayz.

The first half against UCLA was bad, but that is exactly the type of game (UCLA, SC, Cal) we lost a month ago. Being at home helps, but it was nice to take a punch and fight through it to get a nice win.

SC wasn't perfect either. That second half run made things way too close for comfort. Some of that is inevitable when the other team just gets white hot, though. Again, we showed resilience and stayed strong for the win.

Trier looks like he's getting back to himself. PJC is playing with a lot of confidence. There are a lot of reasons for optimism.