Re: Hard Edge Camp Week 2

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Really looking forward to having Nate Philips back at the slot. I thought we lost a lot of punch in the offense after he was hurt.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

and the release from Arizona Athletics:
Play of the Day:
After digging a hole early in practice, the offense rallied late to “win” Monday’s practice under the coaches’ scoring system. Nick Wilson’s 35-yard touchdown burst pushed the offense ahead on the second-to-last play of the evening, capping the first full pads practice of camp.

Stat of the Day:
As a true freshman, Nick Wilson scored 16 rushing touchdowns to tie for fourth-most in school single-season history. He also became the first freshman in program history to surpass 1,00 rushing yards as his tally of 1,375 ranks fourth-best in the school record books.

Coach Rod Said It:

On first day in full-pads:

“It wasn’t bad. We had 25 minutes of live situation and then some one-on-one live stuff. We will watch the film and evaluate it today. I think they competed pretty well but we have a long way to go, I’m sure every coach will tell you that. It was good, I liked their enthusiasm.”

On hitting being the milestone of camp:

“I think more than anything it is a chance for us to evaluate. Of course, we are trying to teach them along the way and the fundamental part is important, but more than anything we have about a week of evaluation of full-pad days. I don’t know if we will hit or tackle live again tomorrow because I don’t like to go back to back with it. We have a lot of good film to watch and analyze today.”

On wide receiver Cayleb (Jones):

”It is his second year playing so he has experience now. He’s had an impressive camp to date. He’s a competitive guy and he’s got all of the things you want. He has size, speed, and tremendous ball skills. He’s been a go to guy and I think they all are. He’ll be a better player this year. He has grown up around football and really has a love for the game. What I am pleased about is that he’s serious about getting better. Some guys who are pretty good players are happy just to ride it out but Cayleb is sincere about getting better.”

On defensive lineman Reggie (Gilbert)’s fifth year:

“For Reggie, I think he has truly enjoyed the experience. I think he is in the best shape of his career. He’s kind of a quiet guy but I think he has taken on a leadership role for this season. He’s been a really good player for us but we need him to be a great player. I think he is positioned to be one of the best players at his position in the league. Frankly, he’s one of the keys to our team this year. I think he can be that scary pass rusher guy because he’s quicker. As far as the big guys go, he’s the best pass rusher that we have.”

On experimentation on center and guard:

“It is the same as before. There were some erratic snaps on occasion. Zach (Hemmila) and Cayman (Bundage) are the top two. It’s an ongoing battle and it will probably stay that way all the way through the first game. I think they want to play. Some guys would shy away from it, the pressure of snapping and making calls, but I think both Zach and Cayman love it. At the beginning of camp, there was about nine guys snapping. I mean everybody but the coaching staff was snapping the ball. It’s a process and the quarterbacks are being patient.”

In their Own Words:

Receivers Coach Tony Dews

On Cayleb Jones..
"There was so much room to learn the offense. There were a lot of mental things he could learn and fundamentally he can improve. His route running in the first week of practice has been light years ahead of where he was last year. He had a really good summer in the weight room. He has gained some weight, but it is the right kind of weight."

Linebacker Jake Matthews

On playing in full pads today..
"There was a lot of hitting today, which is good. We've been working on technique which is always good. It's more intense and it's a lot more fun when you can go to the ground and not have to hold up."

Wide Receiver Nate Phillips

On the first few practices and being a team leader..
"It's a grind but I've been refining my skills more instead of learning the offense and find a place. We have all done this for a while. This is David (Richards') third year under coach Rod and myself and Samajie have been here for three years so we have a lot of older players in the film room. It's definitely our job to help those younger guys get caught up."

Defensive Lineman Reggie Gilbert

On pass rushing..
"I've been working my tail off to be that guy and so has everyone else on the defensive line. Everyone wants to be the pass rush guy so that's what we've been trying to do. We have been competing with the offensive line and trying to get to the quarterback."
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Wow Sharif looks like a beast. Nice pick by Neal. All that experience on O has to help him go and get the ball like that. Really pulling for that kid.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Tuesday AM.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Notes on the AM practice from Arizona Athletics:
Play of the Day:

The Wildcats finished Tuesday morning’s practice with two-minute drill action over the last two periods. The offense sealed a practice “win” with a scoring drive from the first-team offense, sparked by a long completion from Anu Solomon to Trey Griffey on a deep post pattern. A few plays later, Solomon kept the ball himself and punched in a 1-yard touchdown.

Stat of the Day:

As a sophomore, Trey Griffey finished as the Wildcats’ fourth-leading receiver. He caught 31 passes for 405 yards – a healthy 13.1 yards-per-reception average.

Coach Rod Said It:

On the first day of two-a-days...

“I don’t think two-a-days is what it used to be. It used to be a grind and you wanted to see who could make it through it. Now, you have to be smarter about it, especially with our schedule with no open dates. We went shorts this morning and we’ll go shorts tonight. It really turns out to be an equivalent of one long practice by the time you add all the periods together. At least it’s football all day, except for our guys in summer school. That’s why we are breaking the practices up so early and so late, because we have guys that are still in class.”

On back to back practices creating adversity...

“We try to create adversity in our way anyways. With old school thinking, we’d go in pads and be tackling each other, but that’s just not productive anymore. We are going to be smart about it. I think we have four or five two-a-days scheduled but I don’t know if we will go two-a-days on all of them or not.”

On tight end Darrell Cloy Jr....

“He has to get in shape. He’s an athletic kid and he tries hard. He’s gotten better and I think we have a pretty good player there.”

On moving guys to offensive line...

“We just lost Carter (Wood) so we will wait and see how the next few days go. There are some other position moves we are going to consider too. What I don’t want to do is have a guy that’s on the third team that is not getting reps that could be on the second team and getting reps on either side of the ball. So we will probably look at that the next couple of days.”

On the defensive line...

“We have some young guys and some veterans. I still think we need to get some more size and we are a little bit undersized up front. We are addressing that.”

In their Own Words:

Safety Will Parks

On the freshmen..
"I think they are ready. There is a lot that we are installing in their minds and we have covered a lot. They are things we all went through as freshman so we know they will be alright and they just have to take it one day at a time."

On his progress..
"I think that I have a lot more room to improve technique wise. I think I've been doing pretty well in the first couple of days."

Special Teams/Tight Ends coach Charlie Ragle

On punter Drew Riggleman..
"We need to be smart with what we are doing in terms of the reps because we play 12 games in a row so we have to make sure that he is healthy. He is a veteran and a leader and he is doing just what we thought he would do at this point in camp."

Offensive Lineman Zach Hemmila

On competing for playing time on the offensive line..
"I played left guard and tackle all throughout high school so it's just getting back in the rhythm of playing that guard position instead of center. I will play wherever coach feels is fit for me."

Up Next:
Arizona will have their second practice of the day at 6 p.m. which will be close and will get back at it again on Wednesday at 6 p.m. as well. Preseason camp practices are generally closed to the media and public unless otherwise announced.
Let's play two!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Nice feature at AZDS with Jacob Alsadek answering questions from twitter.
The freshman that stands out so far?: (No hesitation from Jacob) Cody Creason. He's done a really good job. He plays hard, and I like that. I like guys that play hard. It's cool because it shows that you want to be here and shows that you want to work. I think he's done a really good job, and he's competitive too. Even on pass rush, he rarely ever loses. He's always working hard. All the freshman this year have done a way better job than when I was a freshman, and learning the plays. They all know the plays really well. When I was first year, I didn't know what I was doing, but I think the program's evolved, and that helped them get to a higher point too because they can work with the coaches during the summer for the skill-development period or whatever you want to call it. So I think that helps too. They've all really impressed me compared to when I was a freshman, but definitely Cody Creason's done a really good job.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

HaCats

Post by HaCats »

If Bundage proves to be the best option at Center......who is most likely to take his Guard spot in the starting lineup?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

HaCats wrote:If Bundage proves to be the best option at Center......who is most likely to take his Guard spot in the starting lineup?

Most people are saying Hemmila.

Today on 1290 Scheer said possible T.D. Gross.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Sounds like no "meet the team" this year...
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Steve Rivera with a good story on Cayleb Jones. If he has an all-conference season our offense will be very good.

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Wednesday
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Was that Sharif (#90) in that first part of the drill with the running back (I think coach called them W drills)?

Looked good and beastly.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Thursday, Two a days the sequel.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

TuiTouchdown wrote:Was that Sharif (#90) in that first part of the drill with the running back (I think coach called them W drills)?

Looked good and beastly.
Almost every time someone points out a player they mention how good they're looking physically. It's apparent the team has been taking S&C very seriously.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

azpenguin wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote:Was that Sharif (#90) in that first part of the drill with the running back (I think coach called them W drills)?

Looked good and beastly.
Almost every time someone points out a player they mention how good they're looking physically. It's apparent the team has been taking S&C very seriously.
Across the board. All of the various AZ pundits we all follow have made a first impression comment regarding added size, strength, conditioning, etc. over the summer. Very encouraging for the culture of the program I think.

Starts at the top too I think with RR. We were in Tucson two years ago for Thanksgiving and I took the friendly Canadian GF and the girls down to the stadium to check it out. I believe it was the day Salpointe was to play for the state championship later that night. Anyway, we walk around on the turf, take some photos and go press our noses up against the glass of the LSFF to check out the weight room. There's a guy in AZ gear in the corner busting out crunches on the physio-ball. Turns out it's RR himself getting a workout in! He gave us a smile and a wave and he was off. I loved it - the girls were very excited for their dorky dad. Point being, I believe RR walks the walk, Breakfast Club and all.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Rich Rod actually looks to also be in even better shape this year. Guy is dipping into the fountain of youth, because I swear he looks better now than he did at WVU or UM.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:Rich Rod actually looks to also be in even better shape this year. Guy is dipping into the fountain of youth, because I swear he looks better now than he did at WVU or UM.
Absolutely agree. He's got that patented Tucson perma-tan working now too. I've pointed that out to the GF as well. He looks great.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Chicat wrote:Rich Rod actually looks to also be in even better shape this year. Guy is dipping into the fountain of youth, because I swear he looks better now than he did at WVU or UM.
I was noticing that too. He almost looks like he could play again. (Almost.)
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

BearDown89 wrote:
azpenguin wrote:

Looked good and beastly.
Across the board. All of the various AZ pundits we all follow have made a first impression comment regarding added size, strength, conditioning, etc. over the summer. Very encouraging for the culture of the program I think.

Starts at the top too I think with RR. We were in Tucson two years ago for Thanksgiving and I took the friendly Canadian GF and the girls down to the stadium to check it out. I believe it was the day Salpointe was to play for the state championship later that night. Anyway, we walk around on the turf, take some photos and go press our noses up against the glass of the LSFF to check out the weight room. There's a guy in AZ gear in the corner busting out crunches on the physio-ball. Turns out it's RR himself getting a workout in! He gave us a smile and a wave and he was off. I loved it - the girls were very excited for their dorky dad. Point being, I believe RR walks the walk, Breakfast Club and all.
In Bacon's Three and Out, there's a story how he would challenge the players to beat him during the Breakfast Club workouts and one time in particular where some troubled players were keeled over from exhaustion and RR was still chugging along on the stair stepper.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gimino with 5 names you should know. One of the great things about CFB is new players have to step up every year. These 5 could all be important to our success this year.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Arizona Athletic's release from Thursday's morning practice.
Play of the Day:

In team situational drills at the end of practice, the offense was given the ball at the plus 42-yardline with 25 seconds remaining and trailing by two points. Senior Casey Skowron knocked home a 45-yarder on the first drive and later a 50-yarder to close practice as the offense prevailed in both situations.

Stat of the Day:

As a junior, Casey Skowron was 57-for-57 on PAT tries, 20-for-28 on field goals and scored on rushing touchdown on a fake. His tally of 123 points rank third-most in school single-season history, while his 117 points strictly from kicking established a new record.

Coach Rod Said It:

On today’s practice and intensity…

“We probably won’t go to many days in pads back to back. The intensity didn’t pick up too much today. I wouldn’t expect it to be a whole lot better, but I do expect it to be a whole lot better tomorrow. We will be back in full-pads for tomorrow evening’s practice.”

On the hot temperature…

“We have had a lot of hot days. The guys have trained in the heat like this over the summer and it’s not that hot right now. If we went out in the middle of the afternoon it would be over 100 degrees. This is nothing here.”

On days where you have to get their attention and refocus…

“I don’t like to get on them and I’m sure they do not like it either, but I don’t think I have ever had a training camp where I haven’t had at least one or two of those days. I hope I don’t have to have a lot of them. If you have one of them and it gets their attention that’s okay. They really haven’t paid the price for yesterday’s practice. It’s in the past but wait until they watch the film; that will be the harder part for them.”

On quarterback Anu Solomon and his leadership…

“I don’t think he took very much initiative yesterday, but I don’t really expect him too. I think that falls on the coaches. I don’t want out quarterbacks to change their personality. They are leaders just by their position and if they force the leadership or if they are not who they are, then it’s not genuine. I think that Anu (Solomon) can lead in his own way and be effective. I saw a little bit of that today. I think his leadership skills has evolved over the last year. More than anything, it is confidence and experience that he has gained. He knows that there are a lot of eyes on him. His body language and his approach is seen by everybody, not just on the field but off the field as well. He has to make sure that he reflects the right image.”

On cornerback position…

“I think it wide open at corner right now. I think DaVonte’ (Neal) has had a good camp and Jarvis (McCall Jr.) has not really practiced. A lot of positions are wide open at this point in camp. At the corner position, we have a lot of bodies there. I am hopeful that we can find four to play.”

In their Own Words:

Quarterback Anu Solomon

On the first two weeks of camp and the weather...
"I'm not born for the cold, I'm kind of a warm guy. It gives me the comfort that I need. It went well today. It was a little humid so some of us were sluggish but we picked it up. It was much better than yesterday. We got the message and told each other that we had to pick up the intensity."

Linebacker Scooby Wright III

On playing the middle linebacker position...
"Most of the time things are happening so fast with the uptempo teams so there are times that I don't see the call because I'm still trying to figure out what is going on. It's almost all communication with the defense. It's not one guy because there are a lot of different pieces to it."

Defensive Lineman Jeff Worthy

On the first two weeks of camp...
"It's been pretty good, I feel like everything is starting to come together. I'm a senior now so I have a big role and make sure the defensive line is doing what they need to do and make sure everyone is ready to go."
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Sports guys are joined by Warner Smith for another episode. Low production, low quality, poor acting, so much cringe, but it is about Wildcat football so watch it anyways.
Sid

Post by Sid »

ANGCatFan wrote:Wednesday

The fact that Rich Rod can stand there and field questions with that blonde reporter so freaking close is amazing.

God, I wish I was a better man...props to Rich Rod!

That blonde thing is out of freaking hand. :shock:
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

"...The fact that Rich Rod can stand there and field questions with that blonde reporter so freaking close is amazing..."

Uh, have you seen the amazing blonde RichRod goes home to? This ain't his first rodeo, homie.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Arizona Athletics' release from Friday evening practice:

Play of the Day:

In live scrimmage action, sophomore safety Carter Hehr cut off a pass from Jerrard Randall for a diving interception. The play was one of several on the day that helped the defense to a win based on the coaches’ scoring system over the two-hour practice.

Stat of the Day:

Last season, seven players combined for 13 interceptions on the Wildcat defense. Arizona outscored its opponents 110-53 in points off turnovers over 14 games.

Coach Rod Said It:

On today's practice..
“It was alright. We needed to go live and we did for about thirty minutes. No one got hurt which was a positive. We still had a couple pre snap penalties which is really frustrating. I think the guys are still trying to learn how we practice, but they’ll get it or we will keep running afterwards.”

On the overall intensity..
“I thought it was okay. We missed a couple of passes, we had a couple turnovers, and we missed some tackles which is to be expected. We have to figure out how to be better tacklers without beating each other up. I think that is something every coach is going through.”

On DaVonte’ Neal’s progression..
“He’s had a good camp. He’s a highly competitive guy that has a knack for making plays. He’s been outstanding so far.”

In their Own Words:

Safety Will Parks

On taking on the leadership role..
"I am definitely trying to be more of a vocal leader. Last year I was quiet being under the wings of our senior safeties and secondary. I talked a little bit when I had to make calls but there will be much more communication this year. Today I was more tuned in and trying to set the tone for the defense."

Running Back Zach Green

On his improvement over the last year..
"I am way more comfortable this year. I understand all of the plays and I am actually playing this year instead of worrying about what the play is and if I am going to get it wrong. Everything is clicking in so many ways. I feel way more comfortable in the back field."

On being comfortable in the back field..
" I think that is when you can actually play. I think that is when people see how good you actually are. You can play to the best of your ability."

Up Next:

Arizona will have its next camp practice tomorrow morning. The 8:30 a.m. practice will be closed. Preseason camp practices are generally closed to the media and public unless otherwise announced.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Sid wrote:

The fact that Rich Rod can stand there and field questions with that blonde reporter so freaking close is amazing.

God, I wish I was a better man...props to Rich Rod!

That blonde thing is out of freaking hand. :shock:
I believe that's Ashley Brewer from Channel 9.
She's Connor's sister.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I love her
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Arizona Athletics' release on Sat am practice-
Practice No. 10
Date: Saturday, Aug. 15
Start Time: 8:30 a.m.
Weather: 96 degrees, clear skies

Play of the Day:

In live red zone play, Anu Solomon hit Samajie Grant on a slant pattern. The junior receiver hauled it in over the middle, then out-raced the defense across the goal line for a score that helped the offense to a victorious day on the scoreboard.

Stat of the Day:

As a sophomore, Samajie Grant finished second on the squad with 718 receiving yards and six touchdowns.

Coach Rod Said It:

On today’s performance…
“It wasn’t bad today. We wanted to have some heat because it has been so cool for us. At the end of practice it got a little uncomfortable which is good. We didn’t go live but we pushed them a little bit. I thought we made some steps today. They have a nice afternoon and evening planned with a visit to Fort Huachuca. There is going to be a big team meeting tonight as well and tomorrow will be a meeting day and I think we may even do a little bit of yoga. I don’t think I’m going to make them put on yoga pants, that won’t be a good look. This will help loosen them up and help their flexibility. They’ve been doing a good job getting in the cold tubs for recovery and I think stretching will help them even more.”

On the first two weeks of camp…
“It has been fast for me. I think camp has gone a little bit quicker than I’ve wanted it to go. I wanted to test them a little bit more but I don’t think they have really been tested, but we have a good week coming up. A lot of our guys just finished summer school this past Wednesday so we are able to focus on football a little bit more before the fall semester starts.”

On the Fort Huachuca visit…
“The best thing we have up there is the dinner with the soldiers and the officers. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to leave our great facility and go somewhere else so we didn’t want to practice down there but I didn’t want to miss the dinner. I got a chance to talk to the major general the other day about us coming up and what the agenda would be. We shared some similarities between his young guys and my young guys and some of the things we go through. We are not putting our lives on the line so to speak like the troops are but a lot of our guys are the same age. The sacrifice and the discipline they have to have is parallel. After the dinner, we are going to come back because we have a nice meeting planned for our guys at our facility.”

On the extension with Nike…
“A majority of the kids identify with and like the Nike product because it is a great product. Whether its apparel or shoes, it has a great reputation, deservedly so. Every year they keep trying to improve and I think kids like that. They like playing in it and it’s great to be a Nike school.”

On the offensive line…
“Things are going pretty well. There are times we just let guys go free which bothers me, particularly with the second group. Coach (Jim) Michalczik will get them right. I would say their performance has been uneven.”

In their Own Words:

Tight End Matt Morin

On the group of tight ends...
"We feel good and prepared. Coach (Charlie) Ragle coached us well during the offseason and during the beginning of camp by getting us to know our plays and blocking technique. As a group it's going really well and we just need to stay healthy.

Tight End Josh Kern

On the tight ends and switching from QB to TE a couple years ago...
"The reason the tight ends hadn't been used much is because we weren't ready so we can only blame ourselves. We are using that as motivation to make sure that this year we are on the field. That's what we want and that's what we're trying to do. The coaches know football way better than I do and they thought tight end was a better fit. When you get to college you have to do what they say and I love it so far."

Wide Receiver Nate Phillips

On today's practice...
"It's hot but it's good for us because most teams don't have this weather so that's an added element to have in our training camp. You need to have mental toughness and it is a true grind in the heat."

Offensive Line Coach Jim Michalczik

On the offensive line...
"I think we're starting to see the schemes and the defense a little better. We need to be more fundamentally sound and I'd like for them to have more of a take charge attitude. We aren't where we want to be but we are making progress and we are going to put some hard work in."

Up Next:

Arizona will have its next practice on Monday, Aug. 17 with another two-a-day starting at 8:30 a.m. and finishing at 6 p.m. The Wildcats head to Ft. Huachuca tonight to have dinner with the troops but will head back tonight to continue team activities and fall camp. Preseason camp practices are generally closed to the media and public unless otherwise announced.

Photo gallery from this morning from GoAZCats.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Fort night ends the 2nd week of camp. (You Anglophiles know what I did there).
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Her eyes are up here Matt
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »