Attendance

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EVCat

Re: Attendance

Post by EVCat »

People have gotten used to having availability on game day. So the casual fan thinks "why commit? I am 90% sure I am going, but I can always just get some tickets day of game, or pick my seats from a scalper."

It takes having a huge game that they get shut out of for being sold out, and then finding the scalpers have the power and their lack of action has either left them on the outside of the biggest event in town or they have to pay an arm and leg to get in, for it to sink in "hey...this can happen."

I think this is that week...we sell out on walk up, and some people who thought they could just show up get a surprise. They then become mid-week buyers next time they really want to go to a game this year.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

This is true. I still haven't bought tickets but will eventually. Surprised that there are so many left.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Chicat wrote:
qwertyus wrote:Wait, the posters on here are actual people? I thought I was posting with a collection of really intelligent bots... ;)
This isn't Ashley Madison.
I see you live in Anonymous Proxy too, want to hang out sometime? Tee hee! ;)
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

It will definitely sell out with remote spots starting on Friday at 11am and running throughout the day and then GameDay all morning...My guess is that if you don't get tickets by noon on Saturday, you will be screwed.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I wonder how many places gameday has gone to where the game is not sold out two days before. This isn't good. Don't give me this junk about it going to sell out.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It's not like there's 15000 tickets left. There are probably no more than two or three thousand which will undoubtedly be gone by the time kickoff happens
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:It's not like there's 15000 tickets left. There are probably no more than two or three thousand which will undoubtedly be gone by the time kickoff happens
How many other gameday visits had to wait until day of to sell out? I doubt any the last five years.

Not a good luck to recruits or the nation.

Tucson just doesn't care about U of A football I guess. Hey basketball season starts soon.......
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:It's not like there's 15000 tickets left. There are probably no more than two or three thousand which will undoubtedly be gone by the time kickoff happens
How many other gameday visits had to wait until day of to sell out? I doubt any the last five years.

Tucson just doesn't care about U of A football I guess. Hey basketball season starts soon.......
You really believe that football recruits and the nation really cares if the game is sold out before Saturday? The headline isn't going to be "Wildcats couldn't sell out stadium before the game," its going to be "Arizona wins in front of sold out crowd."

BTW, you are comparing a 56k outdoor football stadium to a 15k indoor Basketball arena .
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

OSUCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

You really believe that football recruits and the nation really cares if the game is sold out before Saturday? The headline isn't going to be "Wildcats couldn't sell out stadium before the game," its going to be "Arizona wins in front of sold out crowd."

BTW, you are comparing a 56k outdoor football stadium to a 15k indoor Basketball arena .
When did I compare those? Never did. Saying Tucson cares about basketball but not football.

Some recruits may not care but some do and some know that it is not sold out and want to play in front of sold out stadiums every week. And other coaches will bring this up. Maybe not pac 12 coaches but big ten big twelve and SEC coaches will.

What does this team need to do to get Tucson to buy into them?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I don't know that there are even 2-3K left. All of the NEZ sections with available seats are single tickets only, no two together. I looked at the 100 levels and there were less than 100 combined left there. I'd check the rest of the stadium but the site keeps timing out. Of the sections with available seats, all but 1 are "low availability." The one with medium availability looks to be the visitors section, which surprises me because UCLA usually travels well.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
OSUCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

When did I compare those? Never did. Saying Tucson cares about basketball but not football.

Some recruits may not care but some do and some know that it is not sold out and want to play in front of sold out stadiums every week. And other coaches will bring this up. Maybe not pac 12 coaches but big ten big twelve and SEC coaches will.

You are indirectly comparing football and basketball because your claiming the city cares more about basketball than football because Arizona can't sell out a 56k outdoor football stadium but can sell out a 15k indoor basketball area. Would you say Tucson cared for basketball if it couldn't sell out a 56k basketball arena? I think you would be hard pressed to sell out a 56k outdoor basketball arena, especially if you tried 3-4 years ago when Arizona wasn't a constant contender. Does Tucson care about football? Tucson had 51k for both the UTSA and NAU game, that is a good amount for that type of game.

I'm not arguing that some recruits care that a stadium is sold out or not, what I am arguing is that they care that it sold out early. I'm not even sure if that information is even available to look at.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

It has sometimes taken gameday to get teams to a sellout. For instance, last year's game day from TCU at West Virginia. WVU got to capacity 61K that game. They had 60K the previous game vs #4 Baylor, but had 8,000 less for their game vs Kansas (52,000). WVU lost the Gameday game by 1 point to TCU, and promptly lost 14,000 for the next game against #12 Kansas State (47,000). The only games they sold out all year were GameDay and top 5 opponents. As they had a hard time keeping their stadium over 85% capacity but sold out Gameday,it is easy to imagine they were still selling tickets during the game week.

South Carolina drew a sellout for their game on gameday last year vs Mizzou. They were another team, like us, that apparently needed the bump...they lost over 5,000 for their next home game, and did not sell out a game for the rest of the season. Their sellouts were Gameday and vs #6 Georgia. I am pretty sure they were not sold out well in advance of this game...gameday brought interest.

Harvard had a sellout for Gameday. They drew over double their attendance for any other game.

The SEC teams, South Carolina excepted, are not going to have that problem.

To use a conference/rival comparison, ASU had gameday vs #1 USC in 2005. They had 6500 tickets available for that game day of game according to a release by the athletic department. They drew 71,006 for the game. So they hit the "sorta sold out" area...72,011 was their capacity at that time. Not 100%

Us having tickets week of game and then selling out (minus a handful of singles) the day of game is not unheard of for the Gameday game. It isn't a blight on the name of Tucson for all time. It makes it clear we are not an SEC town, for sure. Wikipedia only had the 2014 sites listed, so I couldn't look at the non-SEC sites from other years. The problem of filling up stadiums is an issue everywhere not affiliated with the SEC or a historic power. We are neither. But we will sell out, we will have a great Gameday crowd like last time, and the atmosphere will be great. And people watching on TV won't be checking like I did to see if capacity was reached during the week or for the next game...it will just be a positive day for our program up to kickoff, with the ability to make it really positive if we win.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Looking online, it looks like there's about 1500 tickets left. Most of them are on the upper west side. There's about 300 on the east side. There's a total of 11 in the NEZ. A fair bit in the SEZ. I think it's gonna end up being close enough that they're going to call it a sellout.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah in the stadium it will look like a sell out even if it's a couple hundred short

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:
OSUCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Attendance is down nationwide, even amongst some Big10, Big12, and SEC schools: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... n-14-years

Arizona is one of only 4 Pac-12 teams whose attendance is going up.

The lesson from that article seems to be, "win, and they will come . . . unless you're ASU".
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

OSUCat wrote:
I'm not arguing that some recruits care that a stadium is sold out or not, what I am arguing is that they care that it sold out early. I'm not even sure if that information is even available to look at.
Yeah suggesting the fact that the game wasn't sold out an entire week early when the time of the game and the fact that Gameday is coming to town were both barely announced 4 days ago, will lead to a recruiting downfall is a bit of a stretch. We just had a pretty damn good recruit on campus for the NAU game and he said the game was sold out even though we only had 51K people show up. My guess is even if we don't sell the remaining 1500 tickets no recruit is going to complain about a "non-sell out."
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Recruits care far more about where/when the game is televised than about when/if a game sold out. Gameday in Tucson and the game being on at prime time on ABC will have a far greater effect than if we end up a couple hundred people short of an official sellout.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I doubt kids are looking at attendance records. However, I do believe that they look at the crowds when watching on TV and during visits though, and what they perceive from that might have some influence on where they commit.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

South End Zone here, Section 24. First game with the family.

Saturday will be a great day to be a Wildcat!
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Looks like there's a lot of empty seats left. This place better fill up.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Sold out dude or close enough with single seat. Lots of people on the mall still tailgating
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

If we lose to Stanford, could be a lot of empty seats for Oregon State.
The remaining home schedule sucks
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Don't sleep on Oregon State. I've watched a few of their games this year, they are good.

We could very well be 3-3 (0-3) after October 10th.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Osu lost big to Stanford and Michigan. They are the one home game we absolutely should win.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I think we beat Oregon State but honestly think every Pac-12 South game will be a toss up. Colorado sucks but its at Colorado, ASU sucks but its at ASU. USC will beat us up and I think Utah will as well with their ability to run the ball

Phil Steele was smart to pick us 5th in the PAC-12 south...just tough this year and will be going forward as we got a miracle last year losing to both USC and UCLA and winning the South
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER! wrote:Osu lost big to Stanford and Michigan. They are the one home game we absolutely should win.
Should win, yes.

Will win? Not a certainty.

Beaver always seem to have our number, they are to us what cal was in the late. 90s early 00s
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:Osu lost big to Stanford and Michigan. They are the one home game we absolutely should win.
Washington State for homecoming?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Should win, yes.

Beaver always seem to have our number, they are to us what cal was in the late. 90s early 00s
UA is 2-12 vs ntOSU last 14 games, with the 2 UA wins being by 2 and 5 points.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Should win, yes.

UA is 2-12 vs ntOSU last 14 games, with the 2 UA wins being by 2 and 5 points.
Good thing Riley isn't there any more. :P
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah we haven't played osu since 2012 and this is possibly their worst team in 15 years. Wsu Wilmington bomb it all over us for 500 yards. Osu is the one game we have no business losing.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah we haven't played osu since 2012 and this is possibly their worst team in 15 years. Wsu will bomb it all over us for 500 yards. Osu is the one game we have no business losing.

Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

OSU in two weeks at 1pm....low to mid 90s against a lower quality team...we will see the loyal fans that day.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Have they announced 1? If so I hope we get 45k because if there was ever a game to watch from your couch, this would be it
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:Have they announced 1? If so I hope we get 45k because if there was ever a game yo watch from your couch, this woukd ge it
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Probably will be around 90 at kickoff for the osu game. Anything over 47000 in attendance would be a win

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The "way to far in the future weather forecast" for that day is high in the upper 80's.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azgreg wrote:The "way to far in the future weather forecast" for that day is high in the upper 80's.
The way too far forecast I saw said 92

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Great chance to show the nation how we have great fair weather......fans
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

How do we have fair weather fans? There are no fair weather fans for the University of Arizona, there are fair weather Lakers fans, Yankees fans, Notre Dame Fans, USC football fans, UCLA basketball fans, etc. But There are no fair weather U of A fans, you either grew up in Tucson or went to U of A but you typically bleed red and blue and I have yet to meet someone who says no I didn't grow up in Tucson and no I didn't go to U of A but I have always been a Wildcats fan. I have also not met anyone who grew up in Tucson or went to U of A and hate the Wildcats. I know a guy who went to USC but grew up in Tucson and still cheers for the Wildcats over USC. Look at the attendance for Arizona Softball or Arizona Basketball or Arizona baseball or hell Arizona soccer this year. We kept drawing great crowds for basketball when we had that bad spell between lute and miller

The difference for football is football has not been a consistent performer and hasn't earned the trust of the fans. However, we are one of the few programs in the country that has actually increased attendance the past couple of years. If we lose to Stanford, why would you want to go watch Oregon State especially at 1pm when it will be very warm. Would be tough to motivate me to go to that game even if I lived in Tucson.

But I guess I am a fair weather fan. I wish I was a fair weather fan so I could go cheer for a football program that didn't sh&t the bed so much when it matters
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

UCLA was 56,004
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Arizona said attendance was 52,857 for oregon state game

So probably 15,000 fans bought tickets and didn't show up including zona zoo though I have no idea how their passes work.

Attendance looked ok on the west side, bad in north end zone (which I don't get as I sat there last year and really like it with nice concessions, great view of the video board, new seats, nice bathrooms)

Terrible zona zoo and upper east looked bad too
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

When they panned the stadium crowd for TV viewers it looked bad. It was quite embarrassing actually.

Oh and by the way OSU is not just bad, they are insanely bad. They won't win another game this year.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I thought the non zoo attendance was pretty good...better than I expected. Of course, being parent's weekend, some of that is the student section sitting with their parents all around the stadium, which makes the rest of the stadium look more packed and makes the zoo look barren. I'd put the butts in the seats at 49,000 or so...

I really thought it would be a lot worse for a 1 pm game in heat after 2 losses against a bad OSU team. Goes to show we have a pretty solid base of hardcores that doesn't vary. UCLA was disappointing to me in that it wasn't sold out, then this game was surprising to me in just how filled the stadium was.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

Newportcat wrote: Terrible zona zoo and upper east looked bad too
Upper east actually wasn't too bad for the first half. After halftime, I'd guess half of them left though
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

VegasCatFan wrote:
Newportcat wrote: Terrible zona zoo and upper east looked bad too
Upper east actually wasn't too bad for the first half. After halftime, I'd guess half of them left though
I was in the upper east side until after halftime, then I moved down and took some of the abandoned field level seats.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well they sold 52k in tickets so we must be averaging close to 54 per game this year.

Lots of events downtown and considering the heat and coming off an 0-2 start no surprise that only about 40K showed
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah Tucson meet yourself this weekend. Downtown right now. Tons of people and events downtown.

qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah Tucson meet yourself this weekend. Downtown right now. Tons of people and events downtown.
Downtown was pretty fun when they put on events.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah Tucson meet yourself this weekend. Downtown right now. Tons of people and events downtown.
It was also family weekend and many of the events were scheduled at around the time of the game. I know the school probably didn't have a say in it but scheduling a 1pm game on family weekend hurts.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

A 1pm game against WSU isnt going to help either.