Game #5 @ Stanford Cardinal discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheGreatCatsby

Re: Game #5 @ Stanford Cardinal discussion thread

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

If Anu can't go, you always hold out for the 1% hope, but if we have to start Randall Saturday it's going to be hard to even watch the game. Like going into a gun fight with a pocket knife...Randall just can't throw the ball, all he can do is run so Stanford can just spy him like crazy and rough him up. He'll be either ineffective or get hurt. Dawkins is our only chance to win, raising us up to a 5% chance because at least then we can attempt a forward pass.

Kinda depressing we have absolutely no backup whatsoever to Anu, and doubly so when you figure that RR quarterbacks take a lot of shots, so the chances of them playing all 12 games is under 50%...need 2 good qbs minimum in his system, and by year 4 can't believe we don't have anyone else.

Just frustrated with this season. The injuries, Scooby, playing terrible backup qbs, crapping the bed so horribly vs. UCLA, basically playing like a high school team that night. Go cats.
Last edited by TheGreatCatsby on Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

In all honesty, there is no knock on Bundage. He was getting beat by one of the best NTs he'll go against all season.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:

That was for UCLA.
Not according to the Arizona Athletics website.

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... =209225322

With that being said, we all know how accurate a Rich Rod depth chart is. :D
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Yep, that's current but it was also released Monday IIRC. The injury report will be the interesting chart.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azpenguin wrote:Yep, that's current but it was also released Monday IIRC. The injury report will be the interesting chart.
You spelled long wrong.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Didn't RR say the other day that Turituri is questionable?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

RR is not changing the offensive scheme and going to the "triple option," the "wishbone," or have both QB's in at the same time. That would be silly. JR and BD already have their heads spinning with the current playbook, can you imagine if the completely overhauled the offense. Not gonna happen within the season. That is something you install in the spring. You'll see plays from the current playbook that compliment their skills with some "tweaks" to suprise the Stanford D. I'm taking Furd, I had them down as a loss since the beginning because I thought we would be banged up after an emotional win against UCLA....I think the same applies but with an emotional loss against UCLA. BearDown.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Didn't Anu run several plays with multiple RBs in the backfield?

Not that Dawkins or Randall have practiced it, but it is i the playbook.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

If Anu has practiced that, I'm pretty sure everyone has practiced it. I think coach has some things he'd like to do out of those sets and we're already seeing more of that than we did last year, particularly since RR has a fullback that he wants to use now. I don't know that Dawkins head is "spinning" with the current playbook (anyone in the know, I'd be glad to hear how he's grasped things); we just haven't seen much of him since there hasn't really been a need with Solomon as the #1 guy. Solomon was a RS frosh last year and he had a good grip on the playbook. I don't know where Dawkins is but odds are he has a decent idea of what he's doing with the offense. From what I've heard he's got a pretty accurate arm, with the caveat that we'd have to see him under pressure from another team's starters to know how accurate.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Dawkins is not even remotely ready for prime time. Lets not destroy his career before it even gets started.

Randall even as a Senior is just barely serviceable as a QB. He is a WR and nothing else.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Dawkins is not even remotely ready for prime time. Lets not destroy his career before it even gets started.

Randall even as a Senior is just barely serviceable as a QB. He is a WR and nothing else.
Why do you say that about Dawkins?
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I'm not sure what you want me to say. Dawkins will get killed against a good defense.

Honestly, Dawkins is no where as good a runner as Randall and if you watched him closely the last game he was completely lost in the passing game.

If BD gets significant time at the QB spot expect at-least 2 ints with no real grasp of the playbook. He will get the shit beat out of himself because the defensive OC will unleash the hounds. We are not winning by relying on the pass with Randall or Dawkins.

We don't just have a defensive problem currently, we have a QB problem if Anu can't go.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I didn't see him looking lost in the passing game, but we had a very small sample size so I can't make any judgements. RR has said multiple times that he's confident in Dawkins if he needs to play. I have yet to hear anyone who's watched practices say that he's not capable of running the offense in a game. (Again, anyone who is in the know, I'm always open to being enlightened.)

RR adapts to his QBs. He has proven that. Whoever plays, RR will put them in the best position to win as he possibly can. It's up to execution after that.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Line down to -14. Kinda weird.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

azgreg wrote:Line down to -14. Kinda weird.
Other books dropped at there opening and the Wynn who generally opens first adjusted down
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

For as much as you guys hate on ASU, this board sounds just like an ASU board = meltdown mode. If Anu plays, you guys have a shot in this game. Stanford is not what they seem. Though they appear to have put things together on offense, they are pretty thin on defense. If you guys can get that up tempo moving the chains and tire them out, it could get interesting.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

RichRod did exactly that last time he played Stanford and came one play from beating them with a depleted roster. The offense now runs a faster tempo than it did then due to players being familiar with the system, and I think they've got a shot at running that defense ragged.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Gladiator Cat wrote:I'm not sure what you want me to say. Dawkins will get killed against a good defense.

Honestly, Dawkins is no where as good a runner as Randall and if you watched him closely the last game he was completely lost in the passing game.

If BD gets significant time at the QB spot expect at-least 2 ints with no real grasp of the playbook. He will get the shit beat out of himself because the defensive OC will unleash the hounds. We are not winning by relying on the pass with Randall or Dawkins.

We don't just have a defensive problem currently, we have a QB problem if Anu can't go.
azpenguin wrote:I didn't see him looking lost in the passing game, but we had a very small sample size so I can't make any judgements. RR has said multiple times that he's confident in Dawkins if he needs to play. I have yet to hear anyone who's watched practices say that he's not capable of running the offense in a game. (Again, anyone who is in the know, I'm always open to being enlightened.)

RR adapts to his QBs. He has proven that. Whoever plays, RR will put them in the best position to win as he possibly can. It's up to execution after that.
didn't RR say at the end of camp this summer that dawk was anu's biggest competition to winning back the starting spot, but randall was qb2 because of his experience? though randall has got much better legs and scrambling ability, i seem to recall concerns from the coaching staff regarding his throwing accuracy and release, and (like dawkins) knowledge of running the offense.

i'm sure there are offensive packages that capitalize on randall and dawkins' specific skills sets, given their polarity, but i wonder if RR splits the pt at qb to keep 'furd on their heels - esp if they get wise and can stop randall on the keep - though it's worrisome that our O may struggle to settle into a rhythm that way
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:For as much as you guys hate on ASU, this board sounds just like an ASU board = meltdown mode. If Anu plays, you guys have a shot in this game. Stanford is not what they seem. Though they appear to have put things together on offense, they are pretty thin on defense. If you guys can get that up tempo moving the chains and tire them out, it could get interesting.
Most UA fans would say if Anu plays, we have a decent shot because he makes the Rich Rod offense work as designed more or less fairly consistently. Stanford isn't the '27 Yankees by any means. But if Anu doesn't play, we have virtually no chance, our backup qbs suck, we're not going to be consistently moving the chains and tiring them out. Rather, the mistakes will invigorate them. It would potentially be a dismal depressing game. No other way to look at it.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:For as much as you guys hate on ASU, this board sounds just like an ASU board = meltdown mode. If Anu plays, you guys have a shot in this game. Stanford is not what they seem. Though they appear to have put things together on offense, they are pretty thin on defense. If you guys can get that up tempo moving the chains and tire them out, it could get interesting.
I think we'll move the ball just fine. Turituri and Scooby both might be out against a power run team which is no good. Especially with Ippolitto out also. So, we can possibly have all three of our best LB's last year out in the game we'll need them the most. While, it's a lot of doom and gloom, there's a reason with so many kids out. If we were healthy I don't think it'd be as pessimistic.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Game notes:

• The Cardinal (3-1 overall, 2-0 Pac-12) sits atop the Pac-12 North Division standings with two road wins in as many outings. Most recently, the Cardinal picked up a 42-24 win at Oregon State while rushing for 331 yards. Stanford’s defense limited the Beavers to 111 yards rushing, all of which came in the first half.

• The Cardinal, which fell from the polls after a season-opening loss at Northwestern, enters the matchup ranked 18th by the AP and 20th by USA Today.

• Saturday will mark the 29th meeting between Stanford and Arizona. Stanford has won nine of its past 12 meetings with the Wildcats, including the past three. Arizona opened the series by winning 11 of the first 16 affairs, but has not defeated Stanford since 2006.

• Stanford has scored at least 37 points in each of its past four games against Arizona.

• Stanford won in overtime, 54-48, when the programs last met in 2012. In that contest, both teams shelved exactly 617 yards of total offense.

• Stanford head coach David Shaw is undefeated against six Pac-12 opponents, including Arizona. In addition to the Wildcats, the Cardinal has not lost to Cal, Colorado, UCLA and Washington State during Shaw’s tenure.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Game notes:

• The Cardinal (3-1 overall, 2-0 Pac-12) sits atop the Pac-12 North Division standings with two road wins in as many outings. Most recently, the Cardinal picked up a 42-24 win at Oregon State while rushing for 331 yards. Stanford’s defense limited the Beavers to 111 yards rushing, all of which came in the first half.

• The Cardinal, which fell from the polls after a season-opening loss at Northwestern, enters the matchup ranked 18th by the AP and 20th by USA Today.

• Saturday will mark the 29th meeting between Stanford and Arizona. Stanford has won nine of its past 12 meetings with the Wildcats, including the past three. Arizona opened the series by winning 11 of the first 16 affairs, but has not defeated Stanford since 2006.

• Stanford has scored at least 37 points in each of its past four games against Arizona.

• Stanford won in overtime, 54-48, when the programs last met in 2012. In that contest, both teams shelved exactly 617 yards of total offense.

• Stanford head coach David Shaw is undefeated against six Pac-12 opponents, including Arizona. In addition to the Wildcats, the Cardinal has not lost to Cal, Colorado, UCLA and Washington State during Shaw’s tenure.
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... e-continue
However ... Stanford isn’t going to make it easy for the Wildcats. Under David Shaw, the Cardinal are 13-0 at home when they are ranked and playing a non-ranked team. In those games, the Cardinal average 41.5 points per game. Dating back to last year, Stanford has scored at least 30 points in six of its last seven and has won five of those six by double digits, which makes their Week 1 loss to Northwestern even more baffling.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Line is back up at +14. I was hoping it would be 21. Really wanted to put money at that point.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gilbertcat wrote:Line is back up at +14. I was hoping it would be 21. Really wanted to put money at that point.

Down from 17. The O/U went from 64 to 62.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Run run run run short pass run run short pass run run
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

PHXCATS wrote:Run run run run short pass run run short pass run run
Worked somewhat for us against a much better defense, it was the 21 points off turnovers that killed us.

I don't see anyway either teams defense is going to stop the other team, so my gut is telling me the score will be something like 52-42 Stanford. However, my brain has shown me that my gut is usually wrong when I predict high scoring games. With that said I will go 20-13 Stanford.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

run run run punt run run run punt run run run punt
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

someone is going to score a lot of points...and if we don't have Anu it isn't going to be us.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Furd is 41st in run defense and UA is 5th in rush offense.

With a non-Anu Randall and Dawkins will see 8 in the box.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/uafootba ... ?id=201408
On last week’s report, 10 players were listed. Here’s this week’s full report.

Probable: None
Questionable: QB Anu Solomon (concussion), LB Derrick Turituri (hip)
Doubtful: None
Out: LB Haden Gregory (knee), WR Trey Griffey (foot), WR Tyrell Johnson (foot), LB Scooby Wright (foot)
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Furd is 41st in run defense and UA is 5th in rush offense.

With a non-Anu Randall and Dawkins will see 8 in the box.
Already addressed all of this earlier. 41st is not that good because of the UCF game
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I'm thinking Arizona makes a better showing than most here.

Even with Randall, look at the production RR got out of Denker. Randall is a little bit better runner, and a better passer too. IF Randall can do a little better passing and not throw pics, it might be a good night.

On defense, our guys just didn't tackle for some reason against UCLA, but I think one of the big changes from Stoops to RR is the D (other than this last game) tackles very well under RR/Casteel.

This coaching staff is going to right this ship.

I'd still give the edge to Furd, but not by a whole lot.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

azgreg wrote:http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/uafootba ... ?id=201408
On last week’s report, 10 players were listed. Here’s this week’s full report.

Probable: None
Questionable: QB Anu Solomon (concussion), LB Derrick Turituri (hip)
Doubtful: None
Out: LB Haden Gregory (knee), WR Trey Griffey (foot), WR Tyrell Johnson (foot), LB Scooby Wright (foot)

A lot of Foot issues there, maybe Nike should be providing us better cleats.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If you eliminate the absurd numbers from the NAU game we are averaging about 5.8 yards per carry. I'm liking those numbers.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Randall 7th in the PAC now in rushing. Not too shabby.

Furd will no doubt put a spy on him.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I do think we will play pretty well this week. Might not be enough but I think thisd group as to much pride not to put together a pretty solid effort on both sides of the ball
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

There was one play against UCLA where Randall kept, charged ahead like he was going to run through the line, and then stopped and popped a pass over the top. If he can connect on passes like that, Stanford's not gonna have fun trying to catch the receivers.

I'm not worried about scheme or gameplan. All that's going to matter is execution.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azpenguin wrote:There was one play against UCLA where Randall kept, charged ahead like he was going to run through the line, and then stopped and popped a pass over the top. If he can connect on passes like that, Stanford's not gonna have fun trying to catch the receivers.

I'm not worried about scheme or gameplan. All that's going to matter is execution.
We have got to tackle better.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

That's been something RR has talked about a lot since the end of the game. Have to get off blocks better and tackle better. He did say at the Monday presser that the hard part is that you need to hit and tackle in practice, but you also have to be careful not to get anyone else injured when you're already this banged up. I suspect they've made tackling more of a point of emphasis this week even with those considerations. A lot of what I saw Saturday was guys delivering hits instead of wrapping up, and that's something that's correctable. They got to the ball. They just gotta finish the play.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dick Tomey learned that the hard way too in the Pigskin Classic v. PSU. If you don't tackle in practice due to not having much depth then how can you expect to tackle in a real game situation against an upper tier team?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

They've been tackling in practice, they just have had to watch how much hitting they do. RR has talked about the need to save as much wear and tear on the players as possible considering the no-bye schedule. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

scumdevils86 wrote:someone is going to score a lot of points...and if we don't have Anu it isn't going to be us.

Man, that's so negative. For all the guff you give me and then rattle off this beauty. I see some double standards. ;)
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I bet one of three things happens as this seems typical of Arizona football.

We get crushed, like bad
We lose in heartbreaking close fashion after providing us a ton of false hope we would win
We win, shocking the world and everyone calls me and the negative nancy posters out....but then we lose to Oregon State at Home

My predication, Stanford 48, Arizona 10

I think it would be much closer with Anu but think we won't score without him running the show and I see no way our defense even comes close to stopping them. Seems like literally the worst game for us to play, At Stanford. Just like I think ASU is going to run into a buzzsaw at UCLA.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Line dropped another 1/2 point. Somebody likes us.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Perhaps somebody just has some insider info. about Anu that helps us.

Either way, I don't expect Turituri to play and do expect Stanford to attack that considerable two-player hole in our linebacking corps early and effectively.

Give Casteel another half to "adjust," no doubt. We tried short passes vs. UCLA and Randall has virtually no touch on them. Looked no different doing that in person than he did last year in the Pac-12 championship game, and that's saying a lot.

Like I texted azcat49 during the game Saturday, RR put way too much into one basket with Anu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looking at the injury report Nick Wilson is probable?

http://www.donbest.com/ncaaf/injuries/

10/02/15 RB Nick Wilson Undisclosed is upgraded to probable Saturday vs. Stanford

247 says Trey Griffey is back.

http://arizona.247sports.com/Article/Im ... m-39888431

The Wildcats have a trio of big wide receivers in Cayleb Jones, David Richards, and Trey Griffey (who reappeared on the depth chart this week and will likely see his first action of the season on Saturday), so a couple of connected bombs may give the UA the scores it may not otherwise find.
Last edited by Merkin on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

It's my understanding that NW just had the wind knocked out of him and the reports of a upper body injury were premature.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »