Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Game #6 vs Oregon State Beavers

Post by azgreg »

GoCats13

Post by GoCats13 »

PHXCATS wrote:
Newportcat wrote:It is supposed to be 95 in Newport today, when it is ever hotter in Newport then Tucson...crazy weather

I think Arizona 42 - Oregon state 31

I think our defense still struggles but with ANU we out score them as not impressed with their defense.

Whose bright idea was it to have a 1pm game in early october????
Can we please stop with this ignorance or bad joking?

Want to know the person who decided to do this? Greg Byrne and Miller and everyone else in every administration in the conference who wanted better exposure for the conference and a network. Honestly I know tons of people who say our fans are complaining babies and I can't prove them wrong with posts like this and others on this board.
It's hot as hell at 1 in the afternoon. Let whoever calls us complainers sit on metal benches in 90 degree weather (hotter in the stadium) in direct sunlight. They'll complain too. What's wrong with pointing out that a 1 PM start time isn't exactly ideal?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Btw it wasn't hotter in Newport today.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

GoCats13 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Newportcat wrote:It is supposed to be 95 in Newport today, when it is ever hotter in Newport then Tucson...crazy weather

I think our defense still struggles but with ANU we out score them as not impressed with their defense.

Want to know the person who decided to do this? Greg Byrne and Miller and everyone else in every administration in the conference who wanted better exposure for the conference and a network. Honestly I know tons of people who say our fans are complaining babies and I can't prove them wrong with posts like this and others on this board.
It's hot as hell at 1 in the afternoon. Let whoever calls us complainers sit on metal benches in 90 degree weather (hotter in the stadium) in direct sunlight. They'll complain too. What's wrong with pointing out that a 1 PM start time isn't exactly ideal?
Can confirm. It was hot as hell until the clouds started showing up. Still not as hot as the ASu game last year, though.

Also saw a little girl projectile vomit on about 30 people in the section in front of her.

Definitely an exciting outing.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Btw it wasn't hotter in Newport today.
It said 97 in my car today was at my inlaws in Huntington Beach but basically the same

I thought the high in tucson was 90 today

Regardless it's 82 in Newport right now and only 78 in tucson Which is crazy
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

GoCats13 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Ignorance...really

It is parents weekend which means you probably get at least 5k of extra fans usually but it looked horrible on TV today. Some exposure, terrible crowd, terrible terrible zona zoo showing and the whole time the announcers are talking about how hot it is which can't help recruiting

I really can not believe you called me ignorant for pointing out how terrible an idea it was to have this game at 1pm in early October. Love to see what the ratings were for this game and the "exposure" we got.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Clearly have no idea how these things work. It was no ones idea to have this at 1

Larry Scott is not out to get UA like lots of fans think. Greg Byrne had no say in this.

Blame the contract everyone gladly and happily signed and the U.S. for losing to Jamaca in July if you want to blame someone.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Ok since a person didn't decide to have us play this game then...can you tell me which robot I should complain too

You know who decided to do this Greg Byrne

You know who had no say in this Greg Byrne

Got it my mistake
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

How about not complaining.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:How about not complaining.
Especially about attendance
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The bleeding has stopped - I could give a shyte about the weather.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

...and attendance.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Newportcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Btw it wasn't hotter in Newport today.
It said 97 in my car today was at my inlaws in Huntington Beach but basically the same

I thought the high in tucson was 90 today

Regardless it's 82 in Newport right now and only 78 in tucson Which is crazy
The last two days have been terrible in SoCal. Like I want to move away from here hot.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Says the guy complaining about the poor showing from the Zona zoo...
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

PHXCATS wrote:Clearly have no idea how these things work. It was no ones idea to have this at 1

Larry Scott is not out to get UA like lots of fans think. Greg Byrne had no say in this.

Blame the contract everyone gladly and happily signed and the U.S. for losing to Jamaca in July if you want to blame someone.

Not AZ's fault. Or Bryne's or Larry Scott. At least not directly. When P12 (all conferences) sold their tier 1 rights to ESPN/FOX each P12 school recieved (roughly $22 million) lots of money last year from that TV contract. It escalates each during its conteract term.

Those networks dictate kickoff time slots and pick which matchups to fill in to their spots. They have contact right to pick 12 days or 6 days in advance of game. This then trickles down to lower tier packages like the P12 network or SEC Network or Big10 Network etc.

In exchange for money, the conferences (all) let networks decide for them. Here's a NY Times article outlining the influence and some explanation from couple years ago.
ESPN is not the only network that exerts control over the scheduling, programming and financing of college football. But it is the undisputed leader, given its size, reach and single focus on sports. This season, ESPN channels will televise about 450 college games. ESPN’s closest competitor, Fox, will show 50 on various networks.

One of the most powerful people in the business of college football is a boyish, unassuming graduate of the University of Southern California named Ilan Ben-Hanan. His title is vice president for programming and acquisitions for college football at ESPN. What he really is, though, is the network’s master scheduler.

Wherever he is, at whatever time of year, Mr. Ben-Hanan, 35, will be carrying a 15-page spreadsheet on legal-size paper, a continually evolving master list of matchups and game sites for every week of the season. Much of the schedule, of course, is determined by the colleges and conferences themselves. What’s more, ESPN’s contracts with conferences contain a variety of scheduling stipulations. Even so, the billions of dollars that ESPN pays for TV rights allow it, in some cases, to decide what time games are played and to have a say in who plays whom and when.

The network’s right to wait until as few as six days in advance before announcing which games it will show, and at what times, encompasses all but the first three weeks of the season, when game times are set far in advance. At the Monday morning meetings in Building 12, executives also apportion the games among the network’s channels: ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and even the online platform ESPN3.

Underscoring ESPN’s special relationship with college football is the fact that it created and owns the software used for scheduling games. The online portal, known as the Pigskin Access Scheduling System, or PASS, is now used by virtually all conferences and colleges, as well as competing networks. Generally, the colleges work together to set up nonconference matchups, but sometimes they reach out to ESPN for a suggestion, or even to play matchmaker.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/sport ... ml?hp&_r=0
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

RichRod: Let's play them all at 1. Fire him up, Newport.
Right where I want to be.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Newportcat wrote:
Says the guy complaining about the poor showing from the Zona zoo...
Something more important and something that can be controlled.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I'm not complaining about the weather. My eleven-year old and my nine-year old handled the weather and heat and drank huge amounts of water. It helped that we were on the West side and shade from the media box kicked in during the second quarter. Any season ticket holder worth their weight will tell you to consider the sun with these early afternoon starts when you pick your seats. Really feel sorry for the folks on the East side who just bake the whole time. The problem also comes with the casual fan who doesn't consider these factors and the fact that it was Family Weekend with a lot of "out of towners" who are just not accustomed to the heat. Saw one older gentlemen laying on the ground in the west concourse being treated by paramedics. Being outside for 3-4 hours + is no joke. We have no control over the schedule, the fans need to be smarter.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

don't confound blame with concern. there's no shortage of kids on the field falling victim to heat-related illness, dehydration, hypernatremia, etc. each season with severe health consequences. no one is saying our athletic dept would be so reckless, either, but it's natural to be concerned about players on an already thinned-out roster playing elevated heat; much less tailgating fans and visiting parents not taking the necessary precautions in the bleachers. the concern comes from a good place.

also, nb (and pretty much all of southern california) was really fucking hot on saturday. i drove from vegas, where it was already warm, to dinner in west LA and the temperature was about the same. f this weather.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

McCall showed why he should be playing again. Always liked him and he has the most experience out of anyone at the position.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Randall leads the nation in YAB.

Yards After Blowout.
Right where I want to be.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

catinfl wrote:McCall showed why he should be playing again. Always liked him and he has the most experience out of anyone at the position.
Our CB's had a really good day as they blanketed those OSU receivers. I didn't think we hurried there QB as much as we had really good coverage. I guess anothe freshman from the unheralded class, JJ Whitaker also played some and DFF had that pic that was overturned. All in all a good day for the defense
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

azcat49 wrote:
catinfl wrote:McCall showed why he should be playing again. Always liked him and he has the most experience out of anyone at the position.
Our CB's had a really good day as they blanketed those OSU receivers. I didn't think we hurried there QB as much as we had really good coverage. I guess anothe freshman from the unheralded class, JJ Whitaker also played some and DFF had that poic that was overturned. All in all a good day for the defense
On the topic of overturned turnovers, I was very impressed with Skowron's strip-fumble-recovery on that kick off return. He literally ripped it out of the guys hands and held onto it.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

homecoming game vs. wazzu in a couple of weeks is another 1pm kickoff. just the way RR's guys like it. don't stay thirsty, my cougar friends.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
Our CB's had a really good day as they blanketed those OSU receivers. I didn't think we hurried there QB as much as we had really good coverage. I guess anothe freshman from the unheralded class, JJ Whitaker also played some and DFF had that poic that was overturned. All in all a good day for the defense
On the topic of overturned turnovers, I was very impressed with Skowron's strip-fumble-recovery on that kick off return. He literally ripped it out of the guys hands and held onto it.
Oh yeah, for sure. He's been in the mix, tackling all season, a few times it appeared he saved a TD or two. Really impressed with him.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

#personalResponsibility #NotUofA'sFault

Honestly hope she is okay but you got to know what you are talking about and be responsible for what you do and what happens to you.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Game gifs.

Cayleb catch and Wilson with the first score.

Baker's big run, Fotu tip and int, and Wilson's 2nd TD.

Jackson big catch and Bradford's 1st Wildcat TD.

Grant, Baker, and Bradford bringing the offense.

Fotu's tip and interception.

Park's hit from every angle and every speed.

Luuuuuuuute

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

Sorry if I'm late to the party here, but one thing I haven't seen or heard brought up that I think is important is the "Stanford factor." I've seen stats that say teams the week after they play Stanford typically struggle, because Stanford wears them down so much and beats them up. Consider:

-We were already banged up on defense BEFORE Stanford.
-Oregon State was coming off a bye, plus an extra day since they played on Friday.
-We got back from Stanford early Sunday morning, so that day was pretty much a waste, then played a 1:00 game Saturday, meaning we lost almost an entire day of rest and preparation.

Despite all of that, we came out and DESTROYED Oregon State. I don't care how bad they are, considering what we were up against, this was an impressive win.

BEAR DOWN!