Start the RichRod rumors and the Maryland job

Post by Irish27 »

Anyone know when the plane takes off?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
UAEebs86

Re: Start the RichRod rumors and the Maryland job

Post by UAEebs86 »

RR's dream job just like Sean Miller?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I mean sure if he wants to start over from ground zero and wait another 3-4 years to get his system in place and get the AD who likes cheeseburgers to pay for him and his entire staff and families to move out.

Sure thing if he wants to uproot his kids current activities at salpointe and UofA cheer.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UAEebs86 wrote:RR's dream job just like Sean Miller?
What food item will save us this time?

Seriously though with Under Armor they have a lot of money to throw out there. But the Big Ten and lateral move at best keeps RR here I think.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

A job at the #5 program in the big 10 east where he'd have to do some rebuilding and compete against psu, msu, Michigan and Ohio state? I doubt it.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Granted yesterday Arizona looked good, but I don't think his name will be heavily courted by P5 programs if say a 6 or 7 season is in works. Last year was great, but with the coaching iron red for only what you've done lately, I don't see ADs justifying 2 or 3 million on a guy with his history.

Also sensing that the fan bases won't want him. Didn't this happen with Louisville?

edit: expecting RRod's name to casually come up for Miami when Al Folden is booted.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Randy was making 2.1 million. Rich is at 2.8 with everything. That would be a huge jump in money for them. Almost a million more a year just to get in the door. Nevermind the rebuild he would have.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm with you Catzby, I think Miami is the job to watch out for.

ACC, access to Fl talent, would quickly make a move against Florida St and Clemson.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Gilbertcat wrote:Randy was making 2.1 million. Rich is at 2.8 with everything. That would be a huge jump in money for them. Almost a million more a year just to get in the door. Nevermind the rebuild he would have.

Maryland is gonna be the east coast Oregon soon with how much money Under Armor is making
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

PHXCATS wrote:
Gilbertcat wrote:Randy was making 2.1 million. Rich is at 2.8 with everything. That would be a huge jump in money for them. Almost a million more a year just to get in the door. Nevermind the rebuild he would have.

Maryland is gonna be the east coast Oregon soon with how much money Under Armor is making
After the AD at Maryland butchered the firing of Edsall, no chance RR takes that gig. Not sure who would? Not to mention that if asked, Sean miller would tell RR that the AD is a clown. RR has a son that will be a SR next year in HS which makes it difficult on a family and since his son has started all 3 (soon to be 4) years and no doubt has made some friends, can't see him moving right now. As much as it is about the money most of the time, I don't think that's the case here.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

DC, curious, has recruitment for Rhett started up yet? Sounds like a decent D1 prospect.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Is this a catch-all thread or do we need to another post for the USC job.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Sh*t, RR at USC would be a nightmare for Arizona and the Pac-12.

Imagine him running his Offense and the 3-3-5 with those type of athletes.

This, I fear.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Sh*t, RR at USC would be a nightmare for Arizona and the Pac-12.

This, I fear.
I can't see that happening. The history culture won't mesh just like when Rich Rod was at Michigan.

Also why I don't think Chip Kelly would be hired at USC.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Apparently Maryland and Rich Rod talked before about their HC gig right before Edsall was hired 2011. Rich Rod just about to be fired by Michigan it looks like. Wasn't a finalist... I guess it could also mean Rich Rod said no...
Maryland's search for a new football coach was broader and more suspenseful than most fans knew, according to interviews and documents that show the school spent more than $40,000 in travel and had three finalists in play on the day before Randy Edsall was hired Jan. 2.

Documents show that Anderson and search committee chairman Randy Eaton also made a search-related trip Dec. 27 to Jacksonville, Fla. The records don't specify whom they went to see, only that they checked into a Jacksonville hotel as "walk-ins" and left the next day. At the time of their visit, Michigan was in Jacksonville preparing to play Mississippi State in the Gator Bowl.

The Sun has confirmed that Maryland or its representatives made contact at some point during the search with Rich Rodriguez, who was then Michigan's coach. Anderson did not say whom he met with in Jacksonville.

Representatives of Maryland or its search firm also made contact with Boise State coach Chris Petersen, according to search committee members.

Malzahn and Leach were still being considered on New Year's Day — the day before Edsall, the former Connecticut coach, was hired. Sources said Malzahn balked at coming to campus unless he knew he was being hired.

According to interviews, a private donor — it was not Plank — had been lined up to fly any of three candidates, Edsall, Leach or Malzahn, to Maryland in time to meet the school's deadline of hiring a new coach by Jan. 4, the opening of an important recruiting period. But the deal with the donor fell through and the school had to quickly arrange a charter to get Edsall from Arizona, where his Connecticut team had played in the Fiesta Bowl on New Year's night, to BWI Marshall Airport.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:DC, curious, has recruitment for Rhett started up yet? Sounds like a decent D1 prospect.
I''ve seen him play, and I'm not sure he's D1 level, unless it's like a New Mexico or something like that. NAU maybe with Casteel's son?

He's at Catalina Foothills by the way, not Salpointe. Daughter did go to Salpointe though.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

UAEebs86 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:DC, curious, has recruitment for Rhett started up yet? Sounds like a decent D1 prospect.
I''ve seen him play, and I'm not sure he's D1 level, unless it's like a New Mexico or something like that. NAU maybe with Casteel's son?

He's at Catalina Foothills by the way, not Salpointe. Daughter did go to Salpointe though.
Cool, thanks Eebs.

What would it take to get him higher, or is his build more of a D1-a, lower D1 program. I know nothing about HS recruiting, but want the best for RR and family.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Not only is Maryland looking for a new HC, I think its very possible that USC and Oregon may join that list if not this year then next.

I think Sark is done at USC and I'm certain Helfrich is done at Oregon.

These may be off season changes but I'm sure gears are turning and replacements are being prioritized behind the scenes.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

GC, you don't think they give Helfitch time after a NC appearance last year?

I doubt RR would ever move within the conference. Just doesn't fit his personality IMO
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

No I don't 49. I think Helfrich was living the good life on Chip Kelly recruits. Moriota (sp) covered up a lot of issues percolating under the hood in Nike land. When we crushed them at Oregon the fans were very unhappy with the coaches.

I think the bloom is completely off of that rose in Nike land. No way the guy survives a couple more losses coming their way this year.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

azcat49 wrote:GC, you don't think they give Helfitch time after a NC appearance last year?

I doubt RR would ever move within the conference. Just doesn't fit his personality IMO
Depends on how bad it gets. Oregon having a losing record this year would be a pretty dang bad year for them. My guess though is that he has one more year, unless they implode and only win 1 more game.

I don't know RR at any level, but he seems more ACC bound if he was to change teams.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well I do agree he will struggle to get them to 7 wins. I do know Phil Knight is a pretty impatient guy and will have a lot to say once they lose 3 or 4 more this year.

Grab the popcorn I guess
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah it depends on how bad it gets at Oregon. If they rally and finish like 6-1 and 9-4 overall he's fine. But if the wheels fall off and they go 6-6 and lose in the cactus bowl or something...he could be axed.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah it depends on how bad it gets at Oregon. If they rally and finish like 6-1 and 9-4 overall he's fine. But if the wheels fall off and they go 6-6 and lose in the cactus bowl or something...he could be axed.
The latest ESPN bowl projection don't even have them in a bowl right now.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Agree with this:

Sam Vecenie ‏@Sam_Vecenie · 3h3 hours ago
Maryland might be toughest job in the Big Ten. Semi-high expectations w/ Under Armour, new facilities. Crazy hard division w/ worse recruiting ground

Not only is it a really difficult job but you're recruiting against everybody for guys in your backyard. Penn State, the Michigan Schools and tOSU to name a few and then every major school on the east coast, including the Florida schools and half the SEC. They might want RR but I seriously doubt RR wants them.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Agree but he also has another year and he was held back a year so he could start to fill out TY and become a prospect. I think he will get some offers this summer when he starts hitting some camps. The kid is getting first rate coaching from his Dad and he will be at the Manning QB school again this summer. It will be interesting if he goes somewhere else like a New Mexico or does he walk-on at the UA? His school costs are picked up by the university so it's not like it's going to cost RR any money for him to walk-on at the UA.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Just an opinion, but Rich Rod is not going to Maryland. Webs like to throw stuff out there. It gets clicks, subscriptions and eyeballs,

Maryland? Such limited or incremental upside. Arizona more relevant than Maryland is now. Sure there could be a home run job RR might eventually consider. Eventually, maybe as a one last shot for NC. But Maryland ain't it...

Side Note on Maryland Financial... UA money etc. Maryland still at disadvantage in B1G as it can't collect full B1G revenue share for another 4-5 years. And Maryland had to lose out on $31 million settlement to ACC for leaving. Still will be financially OK, but still will be chasing the UMs, tOSU MSt etc who don't have that hurdle
WildcatRx

Post by WildcatRx »

Send him to Maryland and bring in Chip Kelly
"I do not like Miller"-- Machina
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

What if Haden gets fired and GB is hired and brings RichRod with him to USC? Let's hope that never happens,
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Irish27 wrote:What if Haden gets fired and GB is hired and brings RichRod with him to USC? Let's hope that never happens,
I don't see GB going to another pac 12 school.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:Sh*t, RR at USC would be a nightmare for Arizona and the Pac-12.

This, I fear.
I don't think it is something we have to worry about happening, but if it did.

Rich Rod had a solid platform from which to recruit in Ann Arbor, and the 3-3-5 was an unmitigated disaster. I understand Casteel was not there, but if the 3-3-5 was a solid fit for schools that can recruit elite athletes (rather than a wrinkle implemented by schools that cannot) - you'd see elite programs going it.

You don't.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

PHXCATS wrote:

This, I fear.
I can't see that happening. The history culture won't mesh just like when Rich Rod was at Michigan.

USC has a history of stealing coaches from Arizona though.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RichardCranium wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

This, I fear.

USC has a history of stealing coaches from Arizona though.
Other than Larry Smith who else have they stolen?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No way RichRod will get consideration at USC if he can't beat UCLA. Or any major school for that matter if they have a rival. RR couldn't beat tOSU and MSU while at UM (0-6), and until last year could not beat ASU (1-2). So now RR is 1-8 v. rivals, which does not even include 0-3 against UCLA. Does WVU have a rival?

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Does WVU have a rival?
It's my understanding that they despise Marshall for some reason.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:
Merkin wrote:Does WVU have a rival?
It's my understanding that they despise Marshall for some reason.
Pitt and Marshal are WVU's rivals. Backyard Brawl with Pitt (which is why Graham drama is intensified) and instate with Marshal.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Not many wvu fans consider Marshall a rival. They've only ever played 12 times and wvu is 12-0. They never played from 1923-1997.

dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

PHXCATS wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:RR's dream job just like Sean Miller?
What food item will save us this time?

hah! i was about to say, "everyone needs to be on crabcake alert!"
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Doesn't matter. Would you have said the Mets and Yankees or the Cubs and White Sox or the Dodgers and Angels or the Giants and A's were rivals before inter league play. I remember a billboard for the Sun Times by Comisky that said Sox win Cubs lose what a great day in the early 90s before inter league play. Not a rival hater?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Marshall considers wvu a rival. Wvu doesn't consider Marshall a rival

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Welcome back from the dead DC. Though, I don't think RR would take the Maryland job, if he did, Casteel wouldn't be welcome.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Has Rich Rod finally had that long awaited "awe ha" moment about the 3-3-5 scheme at a school like Arizona which already has a built-in recruiting disadvantage.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:Welcome back from the dead DC. Though, I don't think RR would take the Maryland job, if he did, Casteel wouldn't be welcome.

He might answer the phone for South Carolina though
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm actually cool if RR left.

If he stays super, if he leaves, move on.

I like the guy but overall I'm pretty indifferent.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:I'm actually cool if RR left.

You really think we could get someone better to make an immediate impact? I sure as heck don't .
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote:

You really think we could get someone better to make an immediate impact? I sure as heck don't .
Sark's avail.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

PHXCATS wrote:

RR hasn't done worse than 8-5. Mike Stoops only reached that mark twice in 7.5 years. Hard to say if someone can really match those results at Arizona in 3-4 years. Arizona could potentially afford another good coach at 3mil. I like RR and really look forward to the offense he can put together in the future. Anu as a Junior with Wilson, WRs, and O-line returning.

Although I do trust Greg Bryne.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azgreg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Sark's avail.
Plaza Liqours supports this.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Formerly Lynx Rufus.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

OSUCat wrote:

Petty sure he said same when Louisville opened up, and that didn't happen...Just sayin... And lots of FBS coaches own homes at Reynolds Plantation including Rich Rod

Also remember, Spurrier made $4.2 mil last year including bonus.
Rich Rod pulled in $3.9 mil. with bonuses. Also if Rich Rod left this season he would forfeit roughly $3mil in Longevity Fund money (50%) by leaving before 2018
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:57 am, edited 3 times in total.