Start the RichRod rumors and the USC job

Post by Irish27 »

Here we go again. :o
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
UAEebs86

Re: Start the RichRod rumors and the USC job

Post by UAEebs86 »

Not going to happen.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

No pac 12 coach, especially south coach, is going to usc. Huge possibility of Byrne to usc within 6 months though
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
illcat

Post by illcat »

Don't think so, RR isn't Larry (take the midnight train to sc) Smith.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:No pac 12 coach, especially south coach, is going to usc. Huge possibility of Byrne to usc within 6 months though
Don't think so. That would potentially delay the commissioner job he truly wants and from a source the stock deal is a big deal to him. A really big deal to him.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

You mean this USC?
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

The other USC just opened up. (Gamecocks).

Much more likely.
-JB
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

The college football head coaching movement game is about to interesting to say the least.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

shit i could see rr going to east coast sc
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

illcat wrote:Don't think so, RR isn't Larry (take the midnight train to sc) Smith.
The Tucson to LA train left at 8:00p.m.

I took that train several times. It was great, far, far better than flying in the LAX shit hole. Got into L.A. refreshed and ready to go about 7:30 in the morning if I recall correctly. Often got folks that had been on the train (in the cheap seats) since D.C. or New Orleans fighting to stay awake on their last night. Playing charades or backgammon or just generally having a 'don't let me fall asleep' party. Then me retiring to my sleeper was sweet luxury.

Anybody know if the train still runs?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

RichardCranium wrote:
illcat wrote:Don't think so, RR isn't Larry (take the midnight train to sc) Smith.
The Tucson to LA train left at 8:00p.m.

I took that train several times. It was great, far, far better than flying in the LAX shit hole. Got into L.A. refreshed and ready to go about 7:30 in the morning if I recall correctly. Often got folks that had been on the train (in the cheap seats) since D.C. or New Orleans fighting to stay awake on their last night. Playing charades or backgammon or just generally having a 'don't let me fall asleep' party. Then me retiring to my sleeper was sweet luxury.

Anybody know if the train still runs?
Sure, the Amtrak Sunset Limited still runs. Just better hope the tracks near Hyder are connected. (Too soon?)

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/loc ... /73604602/
-JB
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

CalStateTempe wrote:shit i could see rr going to east coast sc
I still think it's a year to soon with his son having one more year of HS. I know some of you don't think that's an issue but I can promise you it is. As a parent who had a job opportunity in another state with 2 children and one a junior in HS - I promise you it's a huge deal. It's not like he's just going to school and he has made friends that he doesn't want to leave. It's his senior year coming up and he's been the starting QB for the last 3 years - I'm sure he wants to finish here and not start all over and all that comes with it. Not to mention that RR is a huge supporter of his son as QB and all that goes with it. Before somebody says that he can be the QB at a school in SC - think about that for a second? Lots of factors there, none of which you even know about before you even interview for the job. Tell me a parent that does that to a kid in a similar situation? Not many is the answer.

I'm sure RR will listen and he could certainly use it for some leverage but I don't think he leaves. Not to mention that Byrne knows the score as he wasn't going to leave Arizona until both his kids graduated from HS for the same reason.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

DC, I agree with all that but there is one scenario that I don't think you covered, and it's obviously a family decision. Family stays and RR goes.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

RR to vt when beamer retires

dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

OSUCat wrote:DC, I agree with all that but there is one scenario that I don't think you covered, and it's obviously a family decision. Family stays and RR goes.
That is a possibility but you're talking about not seeing your family for the entire football season - so you're talking from August to possibly end of December. You won't get to have your kid on the sidelines with you and you won't get to see any of his games in his senior season. I think you go if you hated where you were at and you just suck it up because you have to but that's not the case here. He and his family like it here so why as a parent would you give up something that you can never get back? You don't.

Your wife is staying to watch her son play on Fridays and then what? Hop on a plane to fly cross country then fly back on Sunday? Not getting any quality time with your wife as you have your responsibilities as a coach. Like I said, you only do that if you don't have a choice because you hate where you're at or you know you're about to get fired.

I would add that I commuted to LA every week for a year while my family was back in Scottsdale and I hated it. Didn't have much of a choice but it was brutal and I got to see my family every weekend and I can't tell you how old that got. Just get comfortable with things and you're back on a plane to LA. It was for all the right reasons but I hated it.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

ASUHATER! wrote:RR to vt when beamer retires
The Virginia Cavaliers job will be opening in a few months. They might be making a calling to Tucson.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I agree with dc4. RR will have plenty of offers after his son graduates, and I'm sure he knows that.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Besides, Haden will do something dumb ...... again.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

RR isn't leaving Arizona period, Ask your self doesn haden and USC really have any interest in RR. Because we seen this time after time when his name get mention for bigger job and RR would shot it down and be commit. USC is going to pull a UCLA move.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Bovada goes with Wittingham as early favorite
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Keep repeating myself. RR can't beat UCLA. RR could not beat tOSU and MSU while at UM. RR is 1-2 v. ASU.

If you can't beat your rivals, then why would USC come calling? Can you imagine the beatdown Notre Dame would place upon Arizona?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

IMNSHO, any coach who changes schools in-conference is to be scorned.

True of Sark

True of Larry Smith

F'em!

If there is a one-or more year interim, then I have no problem, BTW
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:Keep repeating myself. RR can't beat UCLA. RR could not beat tOSU and MSU while at UM. RR is 1-2 v. ASU.

If you can't beat your rivals, then why would USC come calling? Can you imagine the beatdown Notre Dame would place upon Arizona?
Get your mind out of the gutter, It just names throw out that he or the other name are not even a consideration for USC.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Like I've said. Give them clicks, make them some $$$. Take the poll. (little snark in there)
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Their are several that hasn't mention RR to USC. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... -maryland/" target="_blank
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Merkin wrote:Keep repeating myself. RR can't beat UCLA. RR could not beat tOSU and MSU while at UM. RR is 1-2 v. ASU.

Merkin,

Those are excellent points and very relevant.

No way in hell a school like USC would ever make a serious attempt to hire Rich Rod. His schemes simply don't float at a school like USC who can, and do recruit men from day one that can just line up and beat you one on one.

If RR leaves it will be a lateral type move for about the same money as Arizona pays. RR's name gets floated a lot but its mostly for silly fan consumption and media fodder.

His primary reason for making a move will simply be living and area specific reasons to his personal desires with some recruiting kickers mixed in for good reason.

RR has east coast or the south eastern area desires written all over him. I've always viewed RR as just passing through Tucson waiting for a better gig. Like many have said already, after his boy is done with HS next year and moving on to college I think RR will seriously entertain most east coast options as they become available.

Under an extreme situation, or an out of the blue opening where he would really desire to coach back east but can't wait a year because the job won't be available, he could jump and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Hey if we find a way to squeak 8-9 wins out of the season and we have all the people come back that can come back next year and potentially win or compete for the division or conference and win 10 plus games again I wouldn't be that mad if Rich Rod leaves after next year and go somewhere on the East Coast.

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Gladiator Cat wrote:

Merkin,

Those are excellent points and very relevant.

No way in hell a school like USC would ever make a serious attempt to hire Rich Rod. His schemes simply don't float at a school like USC who can, and do recruit men from day one that can just line up and beat you one on one.

If RR leaves it will be a lateral type move for about the same money as Arizona pays. RR's name gets floated a lot but its mostly for silly fan consumption and media fodder.

His primary reason for making a move will simply be living and area specific reasons to his personal desires with some recruiting kickers mixed in for good reason.

RR has east coast or the south eastern area desires written all over him. I've always viewed RR as just passing through Tucson waiting for a better gig. Like many have said already, after his boy is done with HS next year and moving on to college I think RR will seriously entertain most east coast options as they become available.

Under an extreme situation, or an out of the blue opening where he would really desire to coach back east but can't wait a year because the job won't be available, he could jump and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

Why you saying that He going to leave Arizona only for certain reason or waiting for his son to graduate from High School. It just speculation of his name being throw out their. I mean RR isn't that type coach that will say I left because of money or better position or time running out I need to win a NC. I wouldn't even worry about it this BS speculation. He going to stay regardless beside he in fourth year and has a full roster of his own player.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

You guys are weak minded to every think RR would leave for better job. Why would he start over a new football program.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cordera89 wrote:You guys are weak minded to every think RR would leave for better job. Why would he start over a new football program.
That's what coaches do. They love a challenge.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

cordera89 wrote:You guys are weak minded to every think RR would leave for better job. Why would he start over a new football program.
You're right, because in the history of athletics, no one has ever left for a better job...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
Exactly, why did RichRod leave a very successful gig in the broadcast booth?

Work 70 hours a week instead of 20?

Money sure, but there is a reason John Madden never went back into coaching.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:
azgreg wrote:

RR took time off after he was fired from Michigan to do broadcasting for a year.

Their can be two reason if He cant win big at Arizona or recruit big at Arizona then yea I can see him leaving for better job.

Did we not has this same discussion with his name was throw to Florida and Louisville and what happen? Not a freaky word from him that he was even considering of taking those two jobs.

I had read several article where his name was only mention 2 out 5 article for the vacancy for USC. The others he name was never mention.

Coaches to change job at any given time depending on their situation current school their in.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Fishclamps wrote:
You're right, because in the history of athletics, no one has ever left for a better job...
Dude I'm not trying to be right on the matter that I still believe RR will not trade his player for greatness. USC just need to look outside the box for their next HC instead of trying to nab those from inside PAC 12 south and Current NFL HC. They need to go after a unproven from other leagues.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Richrod would never trade his great situation for rebuilding a powerhouse

*I dont think he leaves
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

MrBug708 wrote:Richrod would never trade his great situation for rebuilding a powerhouse

*I dont think he leaves
Is that you being truthful or just speculating that he wont leave.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I dont think he will. I think he's done the rebuilt thing, but as people have said, coaches are competitive.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Merkin wrote:
azgreg wrote:

I'm not sure it was that good of a gig as I didn't even know he was doing TV until his name came up for our job. It's not like he was on CBS and doing SEC games. He was on CBSN and doing 2nd tier games.

Keyshawn Johnson is saying that SC already has it's next coach but it won't be announced for a few months. Many think it's Gruden because he and Key are tight which would totally throw a wrench into what you are saying.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

They don't have their next coach yet, that's stupid. They didn't go from having a coach, to a leave of absence, to firing their coach, to having their next coach in three days.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:They don't have their next coach yet, that's stupid. They didn't go from having a coach, to a leave of absence, to firing their coach, to having their next coach in three days.
I don't know, throw in what Key is saying and then Chief said he talked to some SC insiders today? Just saying. I'm sure Gruden isn't far behind.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Gruden makes $6.5 mil to basically do nothing with no stress of being fired. Why in the hell would he get back into coaching? Srsly.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Coaches are competitive but coaches like winning. They don't like losing. RichRod has his stamp all over Arizona now and he's being given the chance to see things through unlike at Michigan. This year has been snakebit with the injuries and the no-bye-week schedule, but he's got his pieces in place. Does he leave and let another coach get credit for winning with his guys, like what happened at UM? He's remarked on more than one occasion that he had everything rebuilt at Michigan, but they didn't let him see it through. Take a look at how the roster sets up for future years. Does he leave that for another rebuild, to go lose games for a couple of years just for a challenge?

Anything's possible, but I don't see him leaving. I could be entirely wrong, but I don't see the appeal of leaving this situation.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I think the other USC is the job we have to worry about

If rich Rod ever leaves I think it's to go to the east coast with a job he views is easier to recruit to then Arizona. The one issue I have heard is Rich Rod is disappointed in how difficult it is to recruit to Arizona, ie get guys to visit, get in state guys to even consider us, compete with USC and UCLA etc. I don't care what anyone says, it has never been easy recruiting to Arizona. I highly doubt USC would consider him to with his schemes but the other USC I would think would fit. If a good ACC or SEC job opens up that concerns me

Don't disagree on timing being bad with kid still in high school and case to be made next year is our big year given a lot of offense and defense comes back and we will have a much better schedule

USC seems like they will go all out for a home run
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Newportcat wrote: If a good ACC or SEC job opens up that concerns me

Don't disagree on timing being bad with kid still in high school and case to be made next year is our big year given a lot of offense and defense comes back and we will have a much better schedule

USC seems like they will go all out for a home run
I just don't see any SEC job coming after RichRod. Look who they've hired the past decade as their HCs? All coaches who've spent a lot of time in the SEC. Florida, Auburn, Ole Miss - all those guys spent years as Coordinators in the SEC.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Newportcat wrote:...The one issue I have heard is Rich Rod is disappointed in how difficult it is to recruit to Arizona, ie get guys to visit, get in state guys to even consider us, compete with USC and UCLA etc. I don't care what anyone says, it has never been easy recruiting to Arizona.
Could be true on RR's disappointment... don't know. It is hard[er] to recruit to AZ. But some of this going by rankings is RR's philosophy. In FBS, RR has only 1 top 15 recruiting class (Using Rivals). #8 2009 at Michigan. Even the 2010 / 2011 UM classes were #20 and #21. He took lots of heat for that at UM.

But that I believe in part is RR and his partial approach to offer tweeners. Those that fit his schemes and where many of the recruits offers are from majority mid-majors. Did the same at WV and does that here at AZ. Sure he goes after 4 stars and yes hard to recruit to AZ. It's also hard[er] to get 4 stars to commit to RR schemes. But I feel some of that at least consistent how RR operates. "OKG"

One example we have is Brand / Traditional program tough on RR philosophies and RR doesn't seem to like the Brand / Traditional politics. He has stated that many times about AZ. He can build his own tradition here, not fighting much in terms of politics. Low expectations to start with.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

RR is disappointed in getting direct flights into Tucson thus making it easier to see AZ. Keep winning and that will make it easier. Win another south title and who knows

He will leverage this for more dough though
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

And, see, if true, I'm not on board with that.

I'll support RR because most of his issues addressed so far have been upgrades long-needed for this program--even the blasted turf over grass, which I still can't get used to.

But leveraging this season for more money would be a mistake IMHO, no matter how it plays out. A lot of the recruiting struggles weren't started by RichRod, but it doesn't seem like he's figured them out.

And he needs to, because nobody else is going to and the program isn't going to transform permanently to the next level until he does. No amount of money in the world is going to solve that, even if you don't mind following the SEC recruiting model.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

G, i don't know anyone who hiven the chance, would not leverage their employer for more dough. It is done all the time. Maybe he just wants more for his assistants.

And this season isn't over. USC is a wreck, ASSU looks like us and many of us are still not sold on Utah stopping Anu and our run game. Toughest game might be UDub.
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Who leveraged the ABOR to move up the oil money payout dates to RR and CSM?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

In Studying Rich Rod, he seems like a pretty loyal person. Of course he has an agent to keep happy and in line. He didn't want to leave WV and certainly didn't want to leave UM. When he did leverage it was very common for him to leverage for facilities and $$ for staff.

RR did recently say they were still a couple things AZ was working on facility wise for football. Didn't elaborate. But personally don't think he will leverage this time (has in past). Bryne has given him all the space to succeed or fail. "Space" an area RR complained about at WV and why he ultimately left (facilities and 3rd tier rights), politics, and admin/boosters fighting against him.

Still think he and Byrne connected (and Miller). Think he already received the payoff from last season in getting the Oil/gas fund terms changed to cash-out some years sooner. In fact, I think its somewhat significant that all three had their terms changed. Also that oil/gas fund has tanked (34%) and likely not produce the same returns/cash out as expected for all three. We'll see.