azgreg

Game #7 @ Colorado Buffaloes Discussion Thread

Post by azgreg »

Game #7 @ Colorado Buffaloes Discussion Thread

Saturday, October 17, 2015, 6:00 PM, Boulder, CO, FOX Sports 1
azcat49

Re: Game #7 @ Colorado Buffaloes Discussion Thread

Post by azcat49 »

The next "must"win on the schedule. You know there coach, there fans and of course there players think this is a game they should win.

They are 3-3 now and want desperately to get to 6 wins and a bowl bid. Hopefully we have a fast start like against OSU and just keep pounding the rock for another 300 yards on the ground
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Colorado has the 100th ranked rush defense giving up 4.81 yards a carry and 197 yards a game. Even though they have only given up 7 rush tds. By comparison though they have a rushing offense that's nearly as good as ours and our rush defense is 88th giving up 4.3 ypc and 186 yards a game...
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Something has to give then. I think our OLine play has been really good this year, especially in the run game and with Tagaloa moving to guard we really should own the interior.

Hopefully the changes made on defense yesterday will help us get off the field more on the road defensively.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Oh yeah and cu still has to go 4-3 or better in their last 7 games (they play 13 straight with no bye..their choice though). They still have games @Ucla @Utah and home against Arizona Stanford and Usc. They absolutely have to beat osu and wsu on the road and have to win 2 out of Arizona Stanford and Usc at home to go bowling at 7-6. That loss to Hawaii is going to kill them. We're a must win for them and probably seen as one of their 2 most winnable games left.

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Well they did get blasted by ASU 48-23. This game cant be overlook, but I think our team is confidence enough to not let this one slip. Colorado is must win situation again.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Whatever confidence Colorado had from hanging with Oregon, it's fully extinguished. Thanks ASU.

As for confidence, as long as UA plays as the aggressor, they'll set the winning tone.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Suggested opening line at AZ -7. Lets see where the Wynn opens it at
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

We cant take the buff lightly thou. Since they been improving on Offense the last couple of years.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Wynn opens it at AZ -8. Lots of interesting conference games this week. UCLA/Furd, ASSU/Utah, Oregon/Udub, USC/ND, AZ/CU.

The south champion could win it at 6-3
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Arizona rushing attack is solid. Top 7 solid. I predict a 275 yard rushing game. I think this is one of those 42-17 win type of games.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

So we need Furd to beat UCLA, and ASSU to beat Utah, am I right? Then we've got to have UCLA lose to someone else (Utah maybe? or USC?), and we win out and boom, South Champs again! The road to winning out starts with Colorado. Thankfully, probably our easiest road game all year. Sefo is pretty mediocre, decent RB's, pretty terrible defense, and simply a program that cracks under pressure. It's hard to pick up wins when you're constantly losing, and getting a red-hot Arizona team trying to get over the Stanford loss... This is going to hurt. I'm thinking Colorado is close for 1 and a half-2 quarters, and then we pull away and win.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just Furd to beat UCLA and then Utah to beat the Bruins but have Utah drop 1 somewhere along with losing to us. I can't hope the scum beat them, just doesn't feel right
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Furd has UCLA's number, but I'm afraid RR's going to be looking up to Utah this year. They just have it all together in Salt Lake this year and have the depth to deal with injuries to most of the starters.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Line is at -8
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

azgreg wrote:Line is at -8
That seems like easy money to me.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

OSUCat wrote:
Betting on who?

dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

catgrad97 wrote:Furd has UCLA's number, but I'm afraid RR's going to be looking up to Utah this year. They just have it all together in Salt Lake this year and have the depth to deal with injuries to most of the starters.
Not if Wilson goes out like he has been prone to do every year he's been at Utah. Utah is 0-6 against the Arizona schools since it joined the conference. I will never root for Assu but the thing that has bitten Utah in the ass since it joined the conference is there are no easy weeks like they had in the MWC. You take a week off and you can lose to anybody.

Tough game against Cal, and then you have Assu who will be looking to get back in the hunt with a win over a top 5 team. After that you go to SC to play a team that doesn't have it's HC and much like Assu this week will be playing to get noticed by beating a ranked team. Utah wins the next 2 games and you give them a tip of the cap as they have earned it thus far but I still think they will have at least 3 losses or more before it's all said and done.

Tough to play at that level week in and week out and even tougher when you don't have the personnel that dominates. Cal gave Utah 5 turnovers and yet Cal was in that game till the end.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
OSUCat wrote:
Betting on who?
Arizona. I have no idea why the line is at 8. I would have guess double digits (10ish).
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Colorado can score and they'll definitely be able to score on us at home. This game may be a shootout

cats101

Post by cats101 »

38-24 Arizona
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Looks like we will be wearing home unis on the road again.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Don't know if that is light enough. Maybe. Would like to see blue or red out there.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azgreg wrote: Looks like we will be wearing home unis on the road again.

Oh, isn't that clever, "C.U. There"?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

azcat49 wrote:Just Furd to beat UCLA and then Utah to beat the Bruins but have Utah drop 1 somewhere along with losing to us. I can't hope the scum beat them, just doesn't feel right
Agreed, UCLA needs to lose 2 more because they have the tie breaker against us. -and-
We need Utah to drop 1 against ASU, USC, or UCLA -and-
We need to win out including wins against ASU, UTAH, and USC.

It will be tough but it is doable. Especially if our LB's get healthy and Anu stays healthy. We are still in this and I would love to exact some revenge on Stanford in San Jose.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

UALoco wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Just Furd to beat UCLA and then Utah to beat the Bruins but have Utah drop 1 somewhere along with losing to us. I can't hope the scum beat them, just doesn't feel right
Agreed, UCLA needs to lose 2 more because they have the tie breaker against us. -and-
We need Utah to drop 1 against ASU, USC, or UCLA -and-
We need to win out including wins against ASU, UTAH, and USC.

It will be tough but it is doable. Especially if our LB's get healthy and Anu stays healthy. We are still in this and I would love to exact some revenge on Stanford in San Jose.
What if UCLA loses to Utah, Utah loses to us and one more along the way, and we win out. We would have beaten Utah, Utah would have beaten UCLA, and UCLA would have beaten us, and all three teams have two conference losses. Who wins the tiebreaker? I know, a lot of what-ifs and it probably won't play out like this, but then I didn't think last year was going to play out like it did either.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

ASUHATER! wrote:Colorado can score and they'll definitely be able to score on us at home. This game may be a shootout
The Buffs scored 24 against a very weak Oregon D and gave up 41. They scored 23 v Assu and gave up 48.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

On the road at asu. Colorado gives up 399 yards and 25.8 ppg. We give up 419 yards and 30 ppg. Oregon gives up 474 yards and 38.7 ppg. Colorado's defense is better than ours and are at home. Our offense is better than Oregon's so far. I'd expect us to score about what Oregon did and give up at least as much

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

dc4azcats wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Furd has UCLA's number, but I'm afraid RR's going to be looking up to Utah this year. They just have it all together in Salt Lake this year and have the depth to deal with injuries to most of the starters.
Not if Wilson goes out like he has been prone to do every year he's been at Utah. Utah is 0-6 against the Arizona schools since it joined the conference. I will never root for Assu but the thing that has bitten Utah in the ass since it joined the conference is there are no easy weeks like they had in the MWC. You take a week off and you can lose to anybody.

Tough game against Cal, and then you have Assu who will be looking to get back in the hunt with a win over a top 5 team. After that you go to SC to play a team that doesn't have it's HC and much like Assu this week will be playing to get noticed by beating a ranked team. Utah wins the next 2 games and you give them a tip of the cap as they have earned it thus far but I still think they will have at least 3 losses or more before it's all said and done.

Tough to play at that level week in and week out and even tougher when you don't have the personnel that dominates. Cal gave Utah 5 turnovers and yet Cal was in that game till the end.
I don't think that's going to happen to Utah this year. Thej Utes might lose a game somewhere along the line they should've closed out, but Whittingham has built them closer and closer to a Pac-12 monster every season.

Gotta respect that and not spread it around that he drops his guard or takes nights off, because there's too much positive program-building happening in Salt Lake for that. Plus, the Utes have a bye week.

Any respite from Utah this season would be a temporary one, borne out of bad luck. If I wasn't an Arizona man, I'd be a Utah fan in this conference. A great program being built the right way.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

ASUHATER! wrote:On the road at asu. Colorado gives up 399 yards and 25.8 ppg. We give up 419 yards and 30 ppg. Oregon gives up 474 yards and 38.7 ppg. Colorado's defense is better than ours and are at home. Our offense is better than Oregon's so far. I'd expect us to score about what Oregon did and give up at least as much
Stanford is the best team in the North (Cal is close second), while Oregon just lost to WSU at home. UCLA has the most talent of any team, and RR has never beaten them. Colorado lost to Hawaii. Heck, we're more talented than them, how often can we say that? Colorado's starting LB's, plus a 2nd string LB, are all out, one RB is out, Sefo has looked pretty bad, and one OL is probably out (an already shaky pass-blocking OL). RR has never lost to them, home or away, and this game should continue that trend (knock on wood).
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Didn't realize there was a QB controversy at Colorado. More concern about his performance and the hits he has taken than wanting his back-up to get a shot (the back-up isn't even mentioned in the article).
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

qwertyus wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:On the road at asu. Colorado gives up 399 yards and 25.8 ppg. We give up 419 yards and 30 ppg. Oregon gives up 474 yards and 38.7 ppg. Colorado's defense is better than ours and are at home. Our offense is better than Oregon's so far. I'd expect us to score about what Oregon did and give up at least as much
Stanford is the best team in the North (Cal is close second), while Oregon just lost to WSU at home. USC has the most talent of any team. Colorado lost to Hawaii. Heck, we're more talented than them, how often can we say that? Colorado's starting LB's, plus a 2nd string LB, are all out, one RB is out, Sefo has looked pretty bad, and one OL is probably out (an already shaky pass-blocking OL). RR has never lost to them, home or away, and this game should continue that trend (knock on wood).
Fixed it for you.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If you take away sacks which in college go against rushing stats here is what you got for CU vs the run

Hawaii 30 for 117 3.9 per
UMass 26 for 162 6.2 per
CSU 49 for 218 4.4 per
Oregon 60 for 361 6 per
ASSU 40 for 231 5.8 per

U of A has a better rushing attack than all those teams by a lot except Oregon

Defense when Anu plays has been solid vs Oregon State Nevada and NAU. CU has a better offense than all those schools but not by a wide margin.

Crowd is the advantage CU has but if the Cats can establish early with the offense the crowd factor can be taken down a bit.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

OSUCat wrote:Arizona rushing attack is solid. Top 7 solid. I predict a 275 yard rushing game. I think this is one of those 42-17 win type of games.
I'm changing this. Colorado is 101 is in rushing defense (1 worse than UCLA which we ran over 300 yards). Arizona will hit 300 yards rushing.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

CU defense is not better than ours. Arizona can't take back the 2 games vs Ucla and Stanford but I will say that if you take away starting QB and 2 most important pieces on D away from any team - they will lose games. Where we are today, CU is not better defensively and they won't be able to stop our running game. We know that and they probably know that as well.

You can argue about losing Anu and how it affected this team but losing Turituri and Scooby was what really hurt this team more than anything. What they bring as pass rushers and what is was going to allow us to do defensively was immediately shelved. Everything they had worked on scheme wise with Turituri and Scooby out there had to be scrubbed. As witnessed, you can't just put 2 new guys out there and think you can still do all the things you wanted to do because you can't.

Now you have a little bit of normalcy going on right now where guys know who's playing where and what their rolls are. Still doesn't change the fact that you're missing your 2 best players on D. I'm sure Casteel is probably adding some things as some stability has started to take shape but I'm guessing that we still aren't doing anywhere close to what we had hoped to do with Scooby and Turituri out.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

catgrad97 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

I don't think that's going to happen to Utah this year. Thej Utes might lose a game somewhere along the line they should've closed out, but Whittingham has built them closer and closer to a Pac-12 monster every season.

Gotta respect that and not spread it around that he drops his guard or takes nights off, because there's too much positive program-building happening in Salt Lake for that. Plus, the Utes have a bye week.

Any respite from Utah this season would be a temporary one, borne out of bad luck. If I wasn't an Arizona man, I'd be a Utah fan in this conference. A great program being built the right way.
I think Utah loses this week and I'm still not convinced that Wilson at QB is that good? Not to mention that he's had trouble getting through a season without an injury his entire career. Assu is going to come after him big time and it will be interesting to see how he fares? I think Utah loses this week and loses again next week at SC.

Not easy being the hunted as you get everybody's best shot and this is a huge game for Assu. Game day last week and you win a big game and now you have to get back up for a very hungry Assu team. I don't see it as I don't think Utah is really that good and certainly not top 5 good. You get 5 turnovers in a game and you can't put them away? Good teams do that. Really good teams win by 3 touchdowns when they get 5 turnovers in a game.

Every season people talk about how tough Utah is and how they will stop us and yet we put up 300 yards rushing on them or very close to it - 3 years in a row. Why would this year be any different?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I agree DC and I think ASSU is as good of a bet on the money line as anyone in the country that is a dog this week.

One thing to watch is that Utah has only given up 3 sacks for a -7 yards. We all know ASU will be coming after Wilson a lot and if Utah picks up that blitz they could make some big plays that we all know ASSU is proned to give up with that style of defense.

Does anyone really think that if Michigan and Utah were to play now that Utah would win? I don't and I think Utah has benefited from the increased respect that the PAC has received this year. There team speed is still suspect. They play hard and are physical for sure but I just don't think they are the monster CatGrad has painted them to be. Hell, they are AZ under Dick Tomey. Great special teams with an emphasis on defense and field position. Stop(or control) Booker and speed them up and let Wilson beat you which I am not sold he can do at the number 5 spot but hey, surprises happen, look at us last year
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

A guy over at the Buff's board did a play by play analysis of the first 4 drives against ASSu. Pretty impressive work.

http://www.allbuffs.com/threads/cl34s-f ... ns.111015/" target="_blank
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Jason Scheer ‏@JasonScheer · 20m20 minutes ago
Colorado is down to starting two true freshmen at inside linebacker this week. Not a position you want that at going against Arizona.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Why Stanford?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:Why Stanford?
Oops, I grabbed the wrong tweet. Fixed.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Somebody is betting on Rado. Line down to -7.5.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Every game Arizona plays really comes down to two simple issues:

1. Does Arizona get significant pressure on the opposing QB, enough to at least disrupt sustaining drives and force a turnover or two?

2. Does Arizona protect its QB enough to sustain drives, score points and avoid turnovers.

The answers in our victories was yes to 1 & 2. In our losses to Stanford & UCLA, the answer was an emphatic "no". Some of that has to do with personnel (Anu playing, O-line health, Defensive front seven).

If Wilson doesn't go, I get more worried about turnovers becoming a problem on exchanges and guys not securing the ball on tackles. We could fumble a few opportunities and miss out on some points.

Our defense is gonna give up some points on the road. Hopefully they can get some key stops and force a few turnovers. Nothing would surprise me in this game. Colorado is at home. It's homecoming. It's a big game for them and surely they feel like an opportunity.

If you held a gun to my head, I'd say take Arizona. But I wouldn't touch this game in Vegas because I don't trust either team enough.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

carolinacat wrote:Every game Arizona plays really comes down to two simple issues:

1. Does Arizona get significant pressure on the opposing QB, enough to at least disrupt sustaining drives and force a turnover or two?

2. Does Arizona protect its QB enough to sustain drives, score points and avoid turnovers.

The answers in our victories was yes to 1 & 2. In our losses to Stanford & UCLA, the answer was an emphatic "no". Some of that has to do with personnel (Anu playing, O-line health, Defensive front seven).
Scheer posted some ugly stats about CU's ability to protect Lifau this year (basically, twice as bad as last year) so even our anemic pass rush should be able to be disruptive enough to meet #1. With them starting true freshmen on the inside LB's we should be even more able than normal to gash them on the ground, with or without Nick, which I think makes #2 less relevant - if we can gash on the ground, pass protection becomes second nature (and probably improved anyway w/ Friekh at LT)

So, assuming we avoid unforced errors (hello, Cayman!) we should be fine, knock on wood.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Holy crap! we're getting smack from the Buff's version of the Zona Zoo.