Larry Scott

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrBug708

Re: Larry Scott

Post by MrBug708 »

So HBO wanted Arizona but had to settle for Notre Dame?

Ok
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrBug708 wrote:So HBO wanted Arizona but had to settle for Notre Dame?

Ok
You may want to get an update to your eyeglass prescription.

Showtime = Notre Dame
HBO = Arizona.....oh wait nevermind, we're governed by Larry Scott, so instead HBO won't have a college football Hard Knocks.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:So the conference is not ok with another marque team? It only works if it is UCLA or USC?

Sure we would get a boost in recruiting but Oregon doesn't get one in there relationship with Nike? USC with the entertainment industry?

They should have let us do it but had us share the revenue with the conference. I really don't understand the logic
The logic is Arizona told the Pac-12 Network to kick rocks when offered to do the Drive, so now the Pac-12 can repay Arizona with a middle finger in return.
I thought it sounded like Arizona didn't apply for "The Drive" because the HBO thing was already in the works.

Either way, I wish this story never came out. It is too infuriating to even think about what might have been.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:What? Same $$$ as ntOSU and less than Utah? And no money to coaches?

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/blo ... um=twitter

A new contract with Nike has put the University of Arizona on par with other schools in the Pac-12.

The university and the sportswear giant in March signed a 10-year extension, the longest of any in the Portland Business Journal's database of apparel deals.

Nike provided the university $1 million in equipment and apparel last year, the lowest of the 10 public universities in the conference.
The new deal increases that to $2.2 million, putting it on par with Oregon State ($2.2 million) and just below Utah ($2.4 million).

Over 10 years, the university will get $23.3 million in equipment and apparel from Nike.
Unlike most, the deal does not provide cash payments to the university.

Such payments often go to head coaches of football and basketball teams, such as Under Armour's deal with the University of South Carolina that includes $750,000 for football coach Steve Spurrier.
The competition to outfit top college athletic programs has never been more intense.
Arizona joins a list of universities that recently signed significantly bigger extensions, including Indiana, the University of Cincinnati, Arizona State University, Michigan, Texas A&M, Georgia, Kentucky, the University of Florida and Florida State.
University deals are coveted by sportswear companies because of the access to loyal and upwardly mobile students who can become lifelong consumers and buy numerous types of branded products like shoes, T-shirts, hoodies and hats.
Pascoe has all the details here. We do get $3.8 million overall ($2.3 million average for gear). Miller and Rich Rod get $200K a year from Nike, we get 13% royalties, and a bunch of other details.

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... a3b2d.html
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:So the conference is not ok with another marque team? It only works if it is UCLA or USC?

Sure we would get a boost in recruiting but Oregon doesn't get one in there relationship with Nike? USC with the entertainment industry?

They should have let us do it but had us share the revenue with the conference. I really don't understand the logic
The logic is Arizona told the Pac-12 Network to kick rocks when offered to do the Drive, so now the Pac-12 can repay Arizona with a middle finger in return.

Now that I can understand CCC, Thx. Scott screws us again. Mr. Corrupt
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Machina

Post by Machina »

I get why the PAC12 did this but it really sucks. I bet they would have done this for every team except Oregon and USC. Even then they probably would have done this for them.

Hopefully something can be worked out for next year with U of A and HBO
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708 wrote:So HBO wanted Arizona but had to settle for Notre Dame?

Ok
Wrong.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Machina wrote:I get why the PAC12 did this but it really sucks. I bet they would have done this for every team except Oregon and USC. Even then they probably would have done this for them.

Hopefully something can be worked out for next year with U of A and HBO
Why did the Pac12 do this?

I don't see how anything changes next year as long as the pac12 has "the drive".
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

The pac 12 did this because arizona on hbo reaches a potential 130 some million viewers while the amazing pac 12 network only reaches 11.

They saw it as an unfair recruiting advantage to give arizona such exposure.

I guarantee a bunch of other schools bitched to Scott about this, especially USC and UCLA, because didn't they take a revenue cut because of the revenue sharing in the league.

Either way, it blows and that show would have been the shit.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Can't wait until a B1G or SEC school is on next year regardless of the fact they have their own conference networks.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Also the excuses that we are a revenue sharing conference as the reason for this does not fly, I'm sorry. Only Roger Goodell and Larry Scott would go out of their way to screw one of their own properties exposure wise.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... e-semester" target="_blank

Pac-12 commish: College basketball as one-semester sport 'intriguing'
SAN FRANCISCO -- Turning college basketball into a one-semester sport is an idea that the game's decision-makers should consider, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott proposed Thursday.

"I think that's an intriguing concept that we absolutely ought to explore," Scott said during the conference's media day event.

He added that he doesn't want to diminish the mass appeal of March Madness at the conclusion of the season, but he said that a one-semester college basketball season would create advantages for the game and help the sport avoid the "overlap" that unfolds each fall.

He mentioned that "overlap can be a challenge," with college basketball's start intersecting with the MLB playoffs, NFL, NBA, NFL and college football.

"As part of that consideration, we have to realize that March Madness is something very unique," Scott said. "I do love the idea of making college basketball a one-semester sport, a little bit more compact. That all makes sense on a lot of levels. I think the balance of that is what would it do to the way the college basketball season ends?"

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany also acknowledged preliminary discussions about a new-look college hoops calendar, but he saw potential conflicts with other events and the NCAA's television partners as a likely obstacle to change.

"Can we move it into a middle of December start time?" Delany asked. "If you pick up a month there, you're talking about a month on the back end. You're talking about competition with NBA playoffs. You're talking about the start of the baseball season. You're talking about conflicts with [The Masters]. ... I don't think it's an easy answer at all."

Scott said the recent rule changes, including the new 30-second shot clock in men's basketball, should also affect the game's national following.

"I'm completely supportive and have been pushing for the rule changes," he said. "A more free-flowing game that creates more balance between offense and defense -- I think that will be more positive for college basketball and its overall popularity."
Im on board with the firing now
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

You want to fire him because he makes a lot of sense? Lots of people, not us diehards, only care about college basketball after the super bowl. It makes a ton of sense to me. Who cares if March Madness turns into April whatever name you want to call it
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If the season is the same length with the same number of games does the start and finish date really matter?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So the timing of the season needs some kind of drastic change but refereeing is just fine and dandy? Thanks for keeping your eye on the prize Larry.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Chicat wrote:So the timing of the season needs some kind of drastic change but refereeing is just fine and dandy? Thanks for keeping your eye on the prize Larry.
Larry can only say so much publiclly and it is more of a conference problem. College basketball is the 8th most popular sport in the US. Moving the season can help with that.

While the PAC 12 refs suck I don't think it really impacts things too much as far as who wins and loses games.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Chicat wrote:So the timing of the season needs some kind of drastic change but refereeing is just fine and dandy? Thanks for keeping your eye on the prize Larry.
Larry can only say so much publiclly and it is more of a conference problem. College basketball is the 8th most popular sport in the US. Moving the season can help with that.

While the PAC 12 refs suck I don't think it really impacts things too much as far as who wins and loses games.
Oh, ok.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Oh, ok.
Besides vs Ucla 2013 PAC 12 tournament what games come to mind for you
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I don't need college basketball to "become more popular" to affect my passion, love, and following of the sport.

The set up is perfect. 2 weeks of exhibition/easy games. A thanksgiving week tournament. 4s weeks non confernece, 8 weeks conference, 1 week confernece championship, and then march madness. I say this as an arizona fan and having lived on Tobacco Road.

Even shifting it a month would be seriously problematic, especially for the other sport competition at the end of April and early may.

This move should seriously upset any true UofA fan.

Larry Scott can pound sand. Shifting the calender would cause the sport to lose popularity, not gain, IMNSHO.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:
Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Oh, ok.
UofA vs Wisconsin 2014 with the no call on nick Johnson at the end.

You must not watch much UofA bb during the confernece season. I doubt a "schedule shift" would change that for you. It's cool, we all have priorities.

Frankly I give two shits about the NBA and the NFL playoffs (in general). But I don't miss a UofA bb game and enjoy watching marquee games from other conferences in season.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Oh, ok.
UofA vs Wisconsin 2014 with the no call on nick Johnson at the end.

You must not watch much UofA bb during the confernece season. I doubt a "schedule shift" would change that for you. It's cool, we all have priorities.

Frankly I give two shits about the NBA and the NFL playoffs (in general). But I don't miss a UofA bb game and enjoy watching marquee games from other conferences in season.
Watch every game buddy. I would watch everyone if it shifts a month one way or the other. To say you favor a shift means you aren't a true fan is one of the dumbest things I have read here and there are tons of dumb posts.

Wisconsin 2014? Just watched it again on YouTube. There is no foul and he doesn't even get the ball off in time. And what does Larry Scott have to do with that officiating?

If you think that was a foul then Florida in 2012 should have shot FTs at the end too
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

What about schools on the quarter system? Larry shows his ignorance. It is so embarrassing that this guy represents our conference!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

84Cat wrote:What about schools on the quarter system? Larry shows his ignorance. It is so embarrassing that this guy represents our conference!
Move the season from two quarters with the potential of three for a deep ncaa run to two no matter what.

Larry Scott is not a good commish but the hate he receives is way too much. He is not out to get U of A as much as everyone wants to believe. Would like to see a change when his contract expires.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Again I really don't see how a shift helps with popularity.

College bb starts at the perfect time, mlb is ending, nfl is winding down, it ramps up in January and peaks in march just before the start of baseball and the end of the nba season.

Since your carrying Scott's water on the matter, why would you be in favor of a shift as a way to grow popularity in something that is generally a niche sport?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Again I really don't see how a shift helps with popularity.

College bb starts at the perfect time, mlb is ending, nfl is winding down, it ramps up in January and peaks in march just before the start of baseball and the end of the nba season.

Since your carrying Scott's water on the matter, why would you be in favor of a shift as a way to grow popularity in something that is generally a niche sport?
Better exposure for a sport I really enjoy. Better focus of the players both academicly and when playing basketball. More money for U of A with better TV deals. Personally more time for the NFL and college football.

Personally right now I don't care in the least bit about practice or the red blue scrimmage tomorrow. I won't care until the first real game tips.

You did make a good point though about the tournaments around thanksgiving. Not sure that would transfer easily to Christmas time
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I don't think it would, bowl season runs about 3 weeks now starting with Thursday Friday and sat games to the major ones being held between Christmas and New Years. College bb won't get the same level of exposure competing against te bowls games. Second, it a perfect time for college bb to take a break to gear up for the conference schedule during winter break.

I admit, I just don't like Larry Scott. He could say puppies and ice cream could cure cancer and is still think of him as a corrupt inept douchebag.
Machina

Post by Machina »

This idea has been thrown out by people for years. Not a Larry Scott idea. He isn't even saying he is for it just that it is worth exploring. Just making noise to make it with Scott
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

PHXCATS wrote:You want to fire him because he makes a lot of sense? Lots of people, not us diehards, only care about college basketball after the super bowl. It makes a ton of sense to me. Who cares if March Madness turns into April whatever name you want to call it
One semester would mean the season starts in January and runs through June and into July right? It would be really nice to be able to sit inside during the summer and watch bball as June/July/August are boring months for sports, for me at least.

June Madness!! Just sounds wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If the season started early January then the tournament would be early mid may to maybe early June.

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ASUHATER! wrote:If the season started early January then the tournament would be early mid may to maybe early June.
Hey!! here's an idea!!

Let's schedule the NCAA's against the NBA playoffs!!

Trust me - I created the Pac-12 Network....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

pc in NM wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:If the season started early January then the tournament would be early mid may to maybe early June.
Hey!! here's an idea!!

Let's schedule the NCAA's against the NBA playoffs!!

Trust me - I created the Pac-12 Network....
Exactly.
Salty

Post by Salty »

CalStateTempe wrote:I don't need college basketball to "become more popular" to affect my passion, love, and following of the sport.

The set up is perfect. 2 weeks of exhibition/easy games. A thanksgiving week tournament. 4s weeks non confernece, 8 weeks conference, 1 week confernece championship, and then march madness. I say this as an arizona fan and having lived on Tobacco Road.

Even shifting it a month would be seriously problematic, especially for the other sport competition at the end of April and early may.

This move should seriously upset any true UofA fan.

Larry Scott can pound sand. Shifting the calender would cause the sport to lose popularity, not gain, IMNSHO.
CBB becomes more popular -> More people become Arizona fans -> Arizona gets more money -> Arizona stays successful.

I'm an Arizona and I had no idea that the Red/Blue game is tomorrow. For a lot of college sports fans, CBB doesn't start until well after Christmas.

It's important to remember that the season could probably get rescheduled after Christmas break, therefore allowing those two weeks that are normally off to be trimmed from the regular season. I believe that there's been rumors to the NBA shortening the playoffs anyways. Maybe the NCAA and NBA can work together to go directly from the NCAA tournament to the playoffs starting. That could be a good thing for the sport.

Larry Scott is just trying to increase CBBs exposure. This is a very good thing for the school.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Salty's still Larry's biggest fanboy. Glad not much changes around here.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Your second to last sentence is about the only thing true in that entire soliloquy....

"Larry Scott is just trying to increase CBBs exposure"

Yes.

In fucking China.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Larry Scott is an absolute F ing idiot. College bball has never been more popular. Basketball in itself is probably along with soccer the biggest game internationally.

One thing about his idea though, he wouldn't have to deal as much with AZ fans calling him stupid, corrupt and just plain useless.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:Larry Scott is an absolute F ing idiot. College bball has never been more popular. Basketball in itself is probably along with soccer the biggest game internationally.

One thing about his idea though, he wouldn't have to deal as much with AZ fans calling him stupid, corrupt and just plain useless.
Actually no. College bball is the least popular it's been in decades. Ratings for the tournament and final four are way lower than the 80s and 90s and no one watches games before early February. From a national popularity standpoint...college bball is circling the drain.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

In my experiences overseas they love the NBA and don't care about college ball in America. 49 I like you but completely disagreed with you here. I think CBB in America is at an all time low.

Personally it feels like people just hate Scott and he has done things to warrant that from the UA faithful. I don't hate him but think he has done a C minus job at best. Much more likely a D. The conference needs an A or B commish. Greg would be perfect but I want him to stay here.

I bet if Miller said he favors this or says it is something to explore the reaction is much different.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

So glad I added the Pac 12 channel and all the AZ games are on fox sports 1, which I don't have

Fuck you Larry
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ASUHATER! wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Larry Scott is an absolute F ing idiot. College bball has never been more popular. Basketball in itself is probably along with soccer the biggest game internationally.

Actually no. College bball is the least popular it's been in decades. Ratings for the tournament and final four are way lower than the 80s and 90s and no one watches games before early February. From a national popularity standpoint...college bball is circling the drain.
You actually have no idea what you are talking about.

Here's the headline genius:

March Madness is a TV slam dunk: Highest ratings in 22 years

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/07/media/m ... v-ratings/" target="_blank
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Actually that doesn't prove anything I said wrong. March madness is always going to get some kinda ratings. The rest of the season has almost never been less popular. Outside of the tournament the sport is dying.

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It actually does prove everything you said wrong. In fact, explicitly.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

In fact, no. :)

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I agree, you are not fact.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I agree you're being an ass for no reason since you're wrong.

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Boring argument
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ASUHATER! wrote:I agree you're being an ass for no reason since you're wrong.
Uh ok.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

RR went on a rant about scheduling in the press conference today.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:So glad I added the Pac 12 channel and all the AZ games are on fox sports 1, which I don't have

Fuck you Larry
Move to China, apparently you can watch all you want there.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yep you are right about college BBall numbers (although I think they are pretty high for the tourney), I should have said basketball. Pro leagues everywhere and it is played at an early age. Good catch Hater on my post I hate pro sports and really never watch (including the NFL) so for me there is only college
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

They are the highest since 1993, something that ASUH8R refuses to believe.