Start the RichRod rumors and the other USC job

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

illcat

Start the RichRod rumors and the other USC job

Post by illcat »

From the Big Lead:

Steve Spurrier retired. The South Carolina Gamecocks will be replacing him this winter. ESPN’s Travis Haney has thrown out an interesting name for the position: Rich Rodriguez.

Rodriguez did not immediately come to mind when I started to think about potential candidates for South Carolina. I assumed he would stay at Arizona until a bigger job — say, LSU or Florida State — became available. But as I discussed the possibility with agents and coaches, as well as with people close to the Gamecocks’ search, it seems distinctly possible that the 52-year-old Rodriguez and Tanner will eventually talk.

That move could make sense for both parties. There are going to be more jobs available than proven head coaches. We’re still in mid-October and USC, South Carolina, Maryland and Illinois are already in the market. Miami and Virginia Tech are rational spots that could open up. It’s not inconceivable a retirement might open up Alabama, LSU, or Georgia and set off some chaos.

Justin Fuente looks like a rising star. Chad Morris or Tom Herman may be worth their buyout. There are strong coordinator candidates. None of those are, necessarily, bad options. But, with programs flush with TV revenue, there will be few proven, Power 5 head coaches not ensconced at their present programs.

[RELATED: College Football Job Rankings: Which Schools Are the Most Desirable?]

Dan Mullen rumors persist. But, South Carolina may not offer substantial enough of an upgrade over Mississippi State to be worth the upheaval. The only other real name on that list is Rodriguez. The move could make sense for both parties.

Arizona bought low on Rodriguez in 2012. He has won 31 games over three and a half seasons. Last year saw 10 wins, a division crown and a Top 20 finish. Clearly, he can coach. He’s only 52. He’ll have a better pedigree than just about anyone South Carolina can reasonably consider.

Arizona is not a bad job, but it remains a basketball school. It’s an uphill battle to recruit (hope you like traveling) and to compete consistently there. There’s a reason the Wildcats have never been to a Rose Bowl. Rodriguez may have scraped the ceiling already.

The Gamecocks would offer more money. South Carolina is closer to home and his more familiar recruiting grounds in Florida and along the East Coast. It’s not LSU, but no head coach understands the potential pitfalls of taking an “elite,” max pressure job in a harsh media climate more than Rich Rod.

If Rodriguez wants the SEC, laid back South Carolina and leeway to build may be the much better plan.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
azpenguin

Re: Start the RichRod rumors and the other USC job

Post by azpenguin »

Gotta love articles that are pure speculation. Not saying it's out of the realm of possibility, but this article just fills newshole.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

To me this USC job sucks. The only draw would be he would have fans that LOVE football like his players and he and the coaches do

I am still leaning that he won't uproot his family but he will use it for leverage in some way
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

I'm under the impression that the more we hear his name, the less of a reality it would be.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Meanwhile people on Reddit are talking about RichRod to WVU in 2016. No sources or anything. So take that for what it's worth (nothing but Internet chatter).

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/3 ... 16_season/" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TuiTouchdown wrote:Meanwhile people on Reddit are talking about RichRod to WVU in 2016. No sources or anything. So take that for what it's worth (nothing but Internet chatter).

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/3 ... 16_season/" target="_blank

This sure sounds familiar:

Can we get some private jet tracking to confirm?

Anyone see Scheer sitting in his car at Tucson International?

:lol:

I bet Lane Kiffin fucked RR's daughter.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

hah, west virginia might be home, but i gotta believe that RR's relationship with wvu is colder than Miller's is with pitt. besides, why move to a conference that subjects itself to disbandment rumors year in and out?

i say we give RR's folks perma-snowbird status and move the fam (and farm) out to tucson. :D
Salty

Post by Salty »

They can have him
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No one will take RichRod unless he ditches Casteel.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Salty wrote:They can have him
And who will we get that's better?
Salty

Post by Salty »

3goggles wrote:
Greg Byrne is a witch.

I'm pretty indifferent about RR at this point. I recognize that he is an above average coach, but I've been disappointed in his overall performance. He's certainly won some big games, but it's clear Arizona will not be a favorite to win the south consistently any time soon, which is what I expected with his hire.

I would prefer to keep him around because any other coach would probably have a few seasons of adjustments, and that's never fun to watch, but I'm certainly not holding my breath about the rest of the season or any future seasons at this point.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

3goggles wrote:
Matt Wells.