Attendance

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Newportcat

Re: Attendance

Post by Newportcat »

Maybe its just me, but 85 degrees and Sunny is not nice weather to sit and watch a football game. That really feels like 95-100 in the direct sun inside a stadium especially in the Zona Zoo section.

Our fan base is mostly made up of students that did not grow up as Arizona Wildcat football fans. They cheered for ASU or UCLA or USC or CAL or some other school where they grew up. When they get to campus they will cheer for U of A like you saw for the UCLA game when its a big game, we are ranked, and its not during the day when its still hot outside. Other then that they would rather party and watch the game on TV. If yesterday's game was at night would have seen a better Zona Zoo turnout.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Machina

Post by Machina »

Newportcat wrote:Maybe its just me, but 85 degrees and Sunny is not nice weather to sit and watch a football game. That really feels like 95-100 in the direct sun inside a stadium especially in the Zona Zoo section.

Our fan base is mostly made up of students that did not grow up as Arizona Wildcat football fans. They cheered for ASU or UCLA or USC or CAL or some other school where they grew up. When they get to campus they will cheer for U of A like you saw for the UCLA game when its a big game, we are ranked, and its not during the day when its still hot outside. Other then that they would rather party and watch the game on TV. If yesterday's game was at night would have seen a better Zona Zoo turnout.
I am a firm believer in you have to act and work like who you want to be not who you are. We all including the pathetic students want to be Michigan Alabama Ohio State etc. Non of those schools have had the emarrassment the zoo has had regardless of kickoff time that the zoo has had the last two home games. Same for our entire fanbase. If Alabama lost to Tennessee last night no one would have been okay with just beating auburn. We cannot be okay just beating assu.

If you care about the future of U of A football and you have the money to buy a ticket and it fits in your schedule show up or you have no right to complain when RR leaves and when recruiting suffers
prh

Post by prh »

Machina wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Maybe its just me, but 85 degrees and Sunny is not nice weather to sit and watch a football game. That really feels like 95-100 in the direct sun inside a stadium especially in the Zona Zoo section.

I am a firm believer in you have to act and work like who you want to be not who you are. We all including the pathetic students want to be Michigan Alabama Ohio State etc. Non of those schools have had the emarrassment the zoo has had regardless of kickoff time that the zoo has had the last two home games. Same for our entire fanbase. If Alabama lost to Tennessee last night no one would have been okay with just beating auburn. We cannot be okay just beating assu.

If you care about the future of U of A football and you have the money to buy a ticket and it fits in your schedule show up or you have no right to complain when RR leaves and when recruiting suffers
In Alabama's case, it's because it's not as easy to see their 1/3 empty student section on TV. They've been dealing with that for multiple years now.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

prh wrote:
Machina wrote:

In Alabama's case, it's because it's not as easy to see their 1/3 empty student section on TV. They've been dealing with that for multiple years now.
Rather have a student section 1/3rd empty than 2/3rdz.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I've missed two games in the RichRod era. Both times were because I had long standing previous commitments out of town. For every game I've been there from kickoff to 0:00 in the 4th, whether Arizona's up 40 or down 32.

I'm one of the true believers. I don't know how to get the rest of town out there. The athletic department sure as hell has been trying. I know in the past RR has not been happy with the turnout to some of the games and I'm hoping he doesn't leave for somewhere that fills the stadium regularly. (Which leaves out Miami...)
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:
prh wrote:
Machina wrote:

Rather have a student section 1/3rd empty than 2/3rdz.
And I think most fans would rather have a program on par with Alabama's. If we did, we wouldn't be having a discussion about poor attendance.

That said - I agree that the attendance yesterday was embarrassing; it looked awful on TV.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azpenguin wrote:I've missed two games in the RichRod era. Both times were because I had long standing previous commitments out of town. For every game I've been there from kickoff to 0:00 in the 4th, whether Arizona's up 40 or down 32.

I'm one of the true believers. I don't know how to get the rest of town out there. The athletic department sure as hell has been trying. I know in the past RR has not been happy with the turnout to some of the games and I'm hoping he doesn't leave for somewhere that fills the stadium regularly. (Which leaves out Miami...)
If he is afforded that opportunity, then he will have some decisions to make, but he is not going to have his cake and eat it too.

If he wants to coach at a place where there is a die-hard, rabid fan base that show up loud and proud every week, regardless of team success and opponent, then he will also be coaching at a place where in year 4 - with a team and record like the current Cats sport - he will be on a seat that is starting to boil. He'd be coaching for his job in the next 4 games, because failing to come up with 1-2 upsets (we won't be favored again) down the stretch will mean he could very well be looking to ink another deal with CBS.

You don't get it both ways. You want patience and understanding while taking time to build a program? Then expect an apathetic and fair-weathered fan base. Fan fanaticism = pressure cooker, and he tried that once; it did not seem to suit him. His call, if he is given the choice.

South Carolina is the type of program that comes closest to offering the best of both worlds; my guess is if he is offered enough money, and allowed the freedom to bring Casteel and the 3-3-5 with him - it could be an opportunity that might intrigue him... but he'll still face more heat (and at least as much competition, in both recruiting and on the field) than he does here.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I don't think SC will chase him. The 3-3-5 isn't going to play well with SEC boosters.

There's going to be a lot of openings and some of them may look appealing as far as fan support. I wouldn't be surprised if VT was open and if it opens RR will be on every single hot board.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azpenguin wrote:I don't think SC will chase him. The 3-3-5 isn't going to play well with SEC boosters.

There's going to be a lot of openings and some of them may look appealing as far as fan support. I wouldn't be surprised if VT was open and if it opens RR will be on every single hot board.
If VT is open, that is a job I could see him being both considered for and interested in.

Another one of a very few programs that seem to have consistently strong fan support without stratospheric expectations.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azpenguin wrote:I don't think SC will chase him. The 3-3-5 isn't going to play well with SEC boosters.

If VT is open, that is a job I could see him being both considered for and interested in.

Another one of a very few programs that seem to have consistently strong fan support without stratospheric expectations.
And literally next door to home-sweet-home for him.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
jimson

Post by jimson »

No it's not. With all the heat catching concrete it feels a lot hotter than that. If you aren't in the shade it's going to be a very uncomfortable way to spend 3 or 4 hours.

At this time of year Tucson is damn sick and tired of the heat so I don't blame them one bit for skipping pre-November day games. Also, the embarrassing magnitude of the losses to UCLA and Stanford are a huge turn off.

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not. 30 point reamings are a lot more disheartening than losing by a touchdown.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

jimson wrote:
No it's not. With all the heat catching concrete it feels a lot hotter than that. If you aren't in the shade it's going to be a very uncomfortable way to spend 3 or 4 hours.

At this time of year Tucson is damn sick and tired of the heat so I don't blame them one bit for skipping pre-November day games. Also, the embarrassing magnitude of the losses to UCLA and Stanford are a huge turn off.

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not. 30 point reamings are a lot more disheartening than losing by a touchdown.
Say what you want but if you don't go to a game because the team lost bad before than you are not a real supporter. And you will have no right to complain or be upset when RR leaves and top coaching candidates turn Arizona down.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

People in Tucson didn't exactly flock to basketball games prior to the days Lute Olson graced us with multiple decades of high level play and competing for the granddaddy of them all in the sport (Final Fours). People in Tucson are looking for an excuse to support this football team with the same fervor that they do for the basketball program, but every single time there's a great opportunity in front of us this program falls flat on its face whenever the fan support starts getting behind it. The Pac-12 Championship game, the Fiesta Bowl, this year's UCLA game. Hell if Arizona kept it remotely close against UCLA on a major stage there would have been more fans in the stands this past Saturday. If there was some clarity at the QB spot or if there was a defense who could stop a 3rd and long then maybe more people would show up, but alas this is a bad year for this team.

Win and the fairweathers will come more. Nobody that posts on web forums qualifies as fairweathers, but the vast majority of fans worldwide for any team in any sport are fairweathers and they don't want to spend their day and their money watching their team fail them. I don't see why that's so hard to understand?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:People in Tucson didn't exactly flock to basketball games prior to the days Lute Olson graced us with multiple decades of high level play and competing for the granddaddy of them all in the sport (Final Fours). People in Tucson are looking for an excuse to support this football team with the same fervor that they do for the basketball program, but every single time there's a great opportunity in front of us this program falls flat on its face whenever the fan support starts getting behind it. The Pac-12 Championship game, the Fiesta Bowl, this year's UCLA game. Hell if Arizona kept it remotely close against UCLA on a major stage there would have been more fans in the stands this past Saturday. If there was some clarity at the QB spot or if there was a defense who could stop a 3rd and long then maybe more people would show up, but alas this is a bad year for this team.

Win and the fairweathers will come more. Nobody that posts on web forums qualifies as fairweathers, but the vast majority of fans worldwide for any team in any sport are fairweathers and they don't want to spend their day and their money watching their team fail them. I don't see why that's so hard to understand?
I understand that Tucson is filled with fair weather fans but that doesn't mean I find it acceptable.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

You can't change it or do anything about it, however. Just have to accept that is the fan base we have
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:People in Tucson didn't exactly flock to basketball games prior to the days Lute Olson graced us with multiple decades of high level play and competing for the granddaddy of them all in the sport (Final Fours). People in Tucson are looking for an excuse to support this football team with the same fervor that they do for the basketball program, but every single time there's a great opportunity in front of us this program falls flat on its face whenever the fan support starts getting behind it. The Pac-12 Championship game, the Fiesta Bowl, this year's UCLA game. Hell if Arizona kept it remotely close against UCLA on a major stage there would have been more fans in the stands this past Saturday. If there was some clarity at the QB spot or if there was a defense who could stop a 3rd and long then maybe more people would show up, but alas this is a bad year for this team.

I understand that Tucson is filled with fair weather fans but that doesn't mean I find it acceptable.
The world is filled with fair weather fans. Look at Texas football right now. You win and people will show up. It's easy arithmetic.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Was Downtown before the game and was late to tailgating. Got into the Mall about 5 mins into the 1st Q. I was amazed how many were still partying late in the 1st and at the start of the 2nd Q. Met some really cool people tailgating so we didn't even walk into the game until half time haha. Thousands of people were leaving as we were walking in. Went right down to the field since the zoo wasnt even half full. A lot of people realized how empty it was and filled the West end zone to get in the shade

Start of the 3rd Q. We just need a giant shade canopy and they will come!

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

After the stanford beat down, attendance was screwed the rest of the year

Couple that with 1pm games when it's really hot and half the stadium is in direct sunlight and that's a recipe for disaster

Rich Rod though advocates for the day games
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Rich Rod advocates for day ROAD games.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I know he likes day road games but he also said he he liked playing the day games for both Oregon state and Washington state as he felt it gave us an advantage with the heat. I know he has said he wishes they could switch sides of the field as they get the sun but can't do that as the student section can not be in front of the opposing team as that is an ncaa
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think trying to spin day game heat as a positive and actually preferring home day games are two different things.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

If you don't want a sparsely filled stadium, then you can't suffer beatdowns like they did against UCLA and Stanford. It's one thing to lose. It's another to get completely manhandled and physically dominated. And that continues to happen against good teams. We're a one trick pony with our up tempo offense. Our team seems so fragile and injuries so common. Nick Wilson, when healthy, is good. Solomon, when healthy, is good. Our O-line, when healthy, is good. Our defense, when healthy, can be ok. But that doesn't last long. Injuries are part to the game but it's a little ridiculous at this point to have so many players far from 100%.
I'm tired of reading in the preseason how certain it is that some players are great and then being sadly disappointed at their production. And I don't see how this far along into RR's tenure at Arizona that we still have very subpar defensive linemen. You can blame scheme, personnel, injuries, etc...but we are consistently getting zero pressure on the opponents QB. That puts a ton of pressure on the back end of our defense. Something needs to change with our defensive philosophy. That starts with the head coach taking responsibility.
jimson

Post by jimson »

PHXCATS wrote:
Say what you want but if you don't go to a game because the team lost bad before than you are not a real supporter. And you will have no right to complain or be upset when RR leaves and top coaching candidates turn Arizona down.
You aren't going to fill the stands with fans so rabid they would love to pay money to sit in a puddle of sweat to watch a team that can't compete at the conference level.

Only fans like that are probably alumni and they had to leave town to pursue their career. You want to fill the stadium and keep RR or any other top coaching candidates you need to stop trying to shame general Tucson residents who could be fans, like me (much better than some) and try to make the game day experience one that doesn't require extreme discomfort to attend.

By the way, I pay for 4 NEZ season tickets and a Zona Zoo pass, and will pay for a tailgate pass if they ever offer me one and I am not even an alumn, but I may have to skip afternoon games for health reasons. What do you do Superfan?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

jimson wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
You aren't going to fill the stands with fans so rabid they would love to pay money to sit in a puddle of sweat to watch a team that can't compete at the conference level.

Only fans like that are probably alumni and they had to leave town to pursue their career. You want to fill the stadium and keep RR or any other top coaching candidates you need to stop trying to shame general Tucson residents who could be fans, like me (much better than some) and try to make the game day experience one that doesn't require extreme discomfort to attend.

By the way, I pay for 4 NEZ season tickets and a Zona Zoo pass, and will pay for a tailgate pass if they ever offer me one and I am not even an alumn, but I may have to skip afternoon games for health reasons. What do you do Superfan?
Football and basketball season tickets even though I live in Phoenix, donate to the Wildcat Club. My biggest concern isn't general Tucson people but the current students.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It doesn't help that the overwhelming 90+% majority of students immediately flee Tucson when they graduate and rarely ever return. Solely because of how this state is run and because of the awful job market for educated people in Tucson/Arizona.

The lack of student support and caring isn't an Arizona problem though, however much people like phxcats like to think it is. It's a widespread cultural youth problem that's present at every school from Alabama to west Texas am and back in every sport. I've looked at Alabama football forums where the old timers (the 30 year olds) complain about how awful their students are and how they only go to games to be seen and leave at halftime and how bad their empty student section looks on national TV. Look at any pac 12 basketball student section besides Arizona. Unless Arizona is in town, their student sections are ghost towns. It's just that anyone born after 1990 just doesn't really care about sports as much. And besides, the game is on TV so why go?

jimson

Post by jimson »

PHXCATS wrote:
Football and basketball season tickets even though I live in Phoenix, donate to the Wildcat Club. My biggest concern isn't general Tucson people but the current students.
That's good PHX Your'e a good fan.

The student issue is pretty widespread. Even Spurrier and Saban have complained about that.

All teams that have a fan base like the one you describe also have either a championship tradition or pretty much NOTHING else to do in that town and those teams also probably in their past somewhere have a championship tradition.

We just don't have that, We are pretty much where Oregon was in the early 90's. They basically bought their way into that club along with Oklahoma State.

We have to build it from scratch. Winning the South was a step forward but getting blown out in the title game was at least half a step back because it makes it seem like "Well, they sure didn't belong there."

Don't underestimate how damaging blow out games are compared to close losses. They really give the impression that we aren't even close to that level.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I could not agree more jimson

I think Great fan support usually comes after winning in most sports and in most places except places that literally have nothing else to do. Sports are a form of entertainment, watching an average team play another average team for four hours in the hot sun is not most people especially 18-22 years old favorite form of entertainment. Serve beer, have shade, have great teams, make the games shorter, better form of entertainment

Honestly feel like there is this hardcore fan base at u of a that was sitting in the sun on Saturday screaming inside "I am a die hard fan, I am a die hard fan!" God love them for their undying support of Arizona football but just not me.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I'm diehard but wearing very thin after 30+ years. The UCLA fiasco already ensured that any future games will be a father-son affair in my family, at most.

I'm on ChooChooCat and jimson's wavelength: Great football programs are built, and they are built by winning a big game or two somewhere along the line. Those are tradition's highlights.

And as long as Arizona doesn't have that signature win this century, the program will continue to struggle bringing 'em in. Sure, the apathy of the Tucson market doesn't help, but that's only half the vicious cycle at work here.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

But we have had some signature wins. Most notably 2 in a row over Oregon. The blowouts do make you forget those games pretty quick.

A few observations: If our first string QB goes down it seems to take the backup at least 3 games to figure out how to run the offense. Why is that? Sure the 3-3-5 is made to defend the spread, but the best teams in the Pac now (Stanford, USC, Utah) are ground and pound. The 3-3-5 seems almost defenseless against them. Come to think of it, looked pretty helpless against WSU as well! One more thing: If we cannot get a 4 star middle linebacker onto the field (presumably because he couldn't get the defensive concepts), and have to move him to fullback, doesn't that suggest the defensive concepts are far too complicated?

Go Cats!!
jimson

Post by jimson »

IIt is all about winning.

Let's imagine where we would be if AZ had lost close in the conference championship game last year, won the bowl game, then split the UCLA and Stanford games this year and played the other one respectably. Does anyone think attendance wouldn't have been better for OSU and WSU?

Everything that has happened since we won the South has erased the hope and interest that was generated, because it's hard to believe we ever belonged on that level when we follow that up with multiple, really bad, bad losses.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Catstatic wrote:But we have had some signature wins. Most notably 2 in a row over Oregon. The blowouts do make you forget those games pretty quick.

A few observations: If our first string QB goes down it seems to take the backup at least 3 games to figure out how to run the offense. Why is that? Sure the 3-3-5 is made to defend the spread, but the best teams in the Pac now (Stanford, USC, Utah) are ground and pound. The 3-3-5 seems almost defenseless against them. Come to think of it, looked pretty helpless against WSU as well! One more thing: If we cannot get a 4 star middle linebacker onto the field (presumably because he couldn't get the defensive concepts), and have to move him to fullback, doesn't that suggest the defensive concepts are far too complicated?

Go Cats!!
Porkchop moved to FB because he wasn't at all in shape to play LB.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think if there is one thing that chases RR from AZ it would be the attendance. He wants to surround himself with people who view football as being very importasnt, fans included. Win or lose.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Which is one reason I don't think he goes to Miami. Another is that he wouldn't have the freedom he has here to run the program as he sees fit. The admin at Miami pretty much had to step in, but that takes some of the attractiveness off the job.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:I think if there is one thing that chases RR from AZ it would be the attendance. He wants to surround himself with people who view football as being very importasnt, fans included. Win or lose.
Bingo. South Carolina averages 79k this year near capacity of 80k and they are awful. And Tucson is a bigger market than Columbia.

But it is too hot, the team doesn't meet my expectations, game times suck, Larry Scott hates us, I am a student and I want to drink more...........
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:I think if there is one thing that chases RR from AZ it would be the attendance. He wants to surround himself with people who view football as being very importasnt, fans included. Win or lose.
Then he is going to deal with a fanbase that has expectations accompanying that ravenous support... And coaches on the hot seat in their 3rd year end up telling those fanatics they need to 'get a life'.

We all want a lucrative job where constituencies are supportive and at the same time patient. Those gigs are hard to find.

Va Tech and South Carolina are about as good as it gets (in terms of great support with more reasonable expectations)... But my guess is sitting halfway through season 4 with the prospect of winning 2 conference games could turn up the temperature of the coach's seat.

It will be an interesting off-season.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I don't think South Carolina pursues him much if at all. Try selling the 3-3-5 to SEC boosters. I'm thinking they go after Smart or Herman.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Wouldn't Judy Van Horn have to be let go if RR went to South Carolina? I am not sure of her exact role in the RR working the Michigan kids to hard issue but I cant see her and RR working together.

And I dont think RR goes to Miami. They need new facilities and a fan base.

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I think those factors matter (Dabo called Miami's facilities bush league, and was unhappy that both teams come out at the same place from the locker rooms; he kept Clemson on the field at halftime.) But Miami's administration has gotten involved in the football program because the NCAA situations were getting out of hand. There is one thing that can't be overstated in Arizona's favor, and that's the fact that they let him run the program without interference. In the later years at WVU there was a lot of meddling and that was something that helped drive RR away. The interference he ran into at Michigan was untenable. Anyone that would hire him would have to stay out of the way and let him run the team. Miami is not such a place.

Valid point on Van Horn, something Scheer mentioned on Twitter this morning.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Barring a miraculous turnaround at USC, I can only imagine how many seats will be empty v Utah after this shit show. This team really sucks.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We'll get blown out by usc. Probably 40% empty for Utah.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Harvey Specter wrote:Barring a miraculous turnaround at USC, I can only imagine how many seats will be empty v Utah after this shit show. This team really sucks.
Only thing worse are our " fans"
Salty

Post by Salty »

PHXCATS wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:Barring a miraculous turnaround at USC, I can only imagine how many seats will be empty v Utah after this shit show. This team really sucks.
As has been explained to you numerous times in this thread, college football is entertainment.

Going to a college football game is not work. It's supposed to be for fun. Nobody enjoys getting blown out.

RR is paid to win games. That is his obligation. It is not the obligation of the fans to do something that they do not enjoy. This is simple supply and demand, if RR can produce a winning product, more fans will show up. If he can't, fewer fans will show up. This is true for every single college football program in the country.
Saint James

Post by Saint James »

I'll be at the game because that is what I do. I'll probably have to go alone and sit in an area with a lot of open space. As is said, I'll count my blessings for other parts of my life because UA football is starting to look mackovician.

Oh well.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Salty wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
As has been explained to you numerous times in this thread, college football is entertainment.

Going to a college football game is not work. It's supposed to be for fun. Nobody enjoys getting blown out.

RR is paid to win games. That is his obligation. It is not the obligation of the fans to do something that they do not enjoy. This is simple supply and demand, if RR can produce a winning product, more fans will show up. If he can't, fewer fans will show up. This is true for every single college football program in the country.
No, not for college. I will buy that for pro sports but still think it is pathetic fair weather, but I will buy it, if fans want a winner at Arizona Stadium they need to do their part instead of driving RR and Byrne away. Michigan had awful years and still sold out all but one or two games with 110k plus seats. Ohio State has been blown out but no decrease in support. Nebraska has had tough times but still have great support. I can go on and on. Fact is that U of A alumni and fans suck in supporting the team and coaches and admins and it very could come to drive them away.

I
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I wonder if RR has taken another job, in agreement, and won't declare to the end of the season, and knows this season is toast.

Makes me wonder given how apethetic some posters said he looked on the sidelines last night.

You know the whole "ariozna doesn't have the players for my scheme but if I came to ntSC or Miami..."
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:
Salty wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

No, not for college. I will buy that for pro sports but still think it is pathetic fair weather, but I will buy it, if fans want a winner at Arizona Stadium they need to do their part instead of driving RR and Byrne away. Michigan had awful years and still sold out all but one or two games with 110k plus seats. Ohio State has been blown out but no decrease in support. Nebraska has had tough times but still have great support. I can go on and on. Fact is that U of A alumni and fans suck in supporting the team and coaches and admins and it very could come to drive them away.

I
Such a terrible take. You realize Arizona isn't Ohio State or Nebraska right? That's exactly why the onus is on the program and school and coaches and not the fans. Those schools fans support them because of their past and history of being good. At a school like Arizona (or any of the other 80% of schools with bad to mediocre traditions) you have to build it and win for the fans to come. Win and build tradition and the fans will come and become dedicated. If Nebraska had the same tradition as us..they wouldn't have the fan support they do.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Catstatic wrote:But we have had some signature wins. Most notably 2 in a row over Oregon. The blowouts do make you forget those games pretty quick.
Did either of them really mean anything though? One came in a wash away season with Denker as our QB and the other was the first or second conference game of the season last year. When we had a chance to beat Oregon when it truly mattered (Pac-12 championship game) we shit the bed. It's the games that really matter that will get this fanbase on the bandwagon. When Arizona stops shitting the bed in those games then maybe we can have a consistent round of good attendance.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Salty wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

I
If our football attendance is driving Greg Byrne away then someone needs to show him what McKale looks like during basketball season and the revenue that program brings. We're a basketball school and we were that the day Greg Byrne took the job. If that's news to Greg then he took the wrong job.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Did either of them really mean anything though? One came in a wash away season with Denker as our QB and the other was the first or second conference game of the season last year. When we had a chance to beat Oregon when it truly mattered (Pac-12 championship game) we shit the bed. It's the games that really matter that will get this fanbase on the bandwagon. When Arizona stops shitting the bed in those games then maybe we can have a consistent round of good attendance.
Good coaches that can accomplish that don't want to coach at places with pathetic fair weather fan bases.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Salty wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

I
If our football attendance is driving Greg Byrne away then someone needs to show him what McKale looks like during basketball season and the revenue that program brings. We're a basketball school and we were that the day Greg Byrne took the job. If that's news to Greg then he took the wrong job.
Can't accomplish everything a good ad want to relying only on basketball revenue