Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

the real dill

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by the real dill »

catinfl wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote:
catinfl wrote:N'Keal Harry will decide Monday at 1:30
What're our chances?
He's visited a lot recently (but also has a gf at ua so that may be why) idk where he's going, but it wouldn't surprise me if he picked us. It also wouldn't surprise me if he picked Texas A&M or ASU. Kid keeps it close to vest.
Aggies are claiming he is a done deal to them. When did Arizona become the Aggie pipeline?
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

the real dill wrote:
catinfl wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote:
What're our chances?
He's visited a lot recently (but also has a gf at ua so that may be why) idk where he's going, but it wouldn't surprise me if he picked us. It also wouldn't surprise me if he picked Texas A&M or ASU. Kid keeps it close to vest.
Aggies are claiming he is a done deal to them. When did Arizona become the Aggie pipeline?
Pretty confident it isn't A&M.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

If you as a long time suffering fan of the UofA or ASSU football want to really quantify why we never get over the hump. There is no more telling metric then the home state recruiting dynamic.

No top flight Arizona players outside of a very small sample size want to play for these two schools in state. We simply aren't in the serious mix.

Nothing tells the plight of these two schools more than that one single factor. Unfortunately its even more troublesome for the UofA. In the past the players weren't as good, but now days they are good and still leave.

If you can't keep your best in state kids at home, you'll always be on the outside looking in. Just as we are.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
the real dill wrote:
catinfl wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote:
What're our chances?
Pretty confident it isn't A&M.
Hope you're right. They just pulled a wr offer from another guy and saying it's because Harry committed.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:If you as a long time suffering fan of the UofA or ASSU football want to really quantify why we never get over the hump. There is no more telling metric then the home state recruiting dynamic.

No top flight Arizona players outside of a very small sample size want to play for these two schools in state. We simply aren't in the serious mix.

Nothing tells the plight of these two schools more than that one single factor. Unfortunately its even more troublesome for the UofA. In the past the players weren't as good, but now days they are good and still leave.

If you can't keep your best in state kids at home, you'll always be on the outside looking in. Just as we are.
Completely right. Until either U of A or ASU starts recruiting in state well again, I think the chances of either program being relevant are slim.

I think that will be the canary in the mine for either program when you think that either is ready to become a real football program

Anyone know why we can't get the in state kids to stay in state?
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Newportcat wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:If you as a long time suffering fan of the UofA or ASSU football want to really quantify why we never get over the hump. There is no more telling metric then the home state recruiting dynamic.

Completely right. Until either U of A or ASU starts recruiting in state well again, I think the chances of either program being relevant are slim.

I think that will be the canary in the mine for either program when you think that either is ready to become a real football program

Because neither program is a top program. Whenever there are actually some high level 5 star and high 4 star recruits in Arizona you immediately know they are going to leave the state and go elsewhere. When is the last time an Arizona recruit that was a top 50-75 prospect actually stayed in state?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I talked someone who knows Socal football recruiting better then anyone and they said if Khalil went to any other program he would never be a QB as he is just a super athlete with no technique. However, under Rich Rod, the guy felt there was a good chance he could be exactly the type of QB that fits our offense well.

He did also say he likes Modster a lot and a much better QB at this point but Tate is a much better athlete
Scummy Dick Douglas

Newportcat wrote:

I disagree. I think UA and ASU fans overhype the instate kids. In the last 10 years there have been exactly two kids from AZ that I knew were going to be elite, Taylor Lewan and Christian Kirk. Outside of those two, I often find 3* kids from Cali or Texas more desirable than the 4* kids in AZ. I think the level of HS competition has to be taken into account, and AZ doesn't hold a candle to CA or TX.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The 247 site keeps calling Tate to USC
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

I disagree. I think UA and ASU fans overhype the instate kids. In the last 10 years there have been exactly two kids from AZ that I knew were going to be elite, Taylor Lewan and Christian Kirk. Outside of those two, I often find 3* kids from Cali or Texas more desirable than the 4* kids in AZ. I think the level of HS competition has to be taken into account, and AZ doesn't hold a candle to CA or TX.
Kennard.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:The 247 site keeps calling Tate to USC
He just had an official seems really solid and plans to enroll early. I guess there's still time, but I don't think that's real right now.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

How can he arrive on campus in January when he can't even sign until February?

Is he doing just an athletic scholarship and not signing the NLI?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:How can he arrive on campus in January when he can't even sign until February?

Don't the January enrollees count against last year's class? Maybe in that case he can sign an NLI before February.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:How can he arrive on campus in January when he can't even sign until February?

Don't the January enrollees count against last year's class? Maybe in that case he can sign an NLI before February.
You get to choose which class to apply them to
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He would be enrolling early and would only have to sign financial aid papers. That is assuming of course Rich Rod is still the coach of Arizona in January.
Scummy Dick Douglas

N'Keal Harry announced a top 5 of UW, A&M, ASU, USC, and Oregon. Commitment ceremony coming tomorrow afternoon.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

And so it begins...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Can't see any even remotely good defensive players wanting to come here while casteel is coaching.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Not sure if it's been posted but Harry's top 5 includes ASU but no UofA
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

How they can still be called commits when they no longer are?

Maybe the RR going east coast rumors do have some legs?
ASUHATER! wrote:Can't see any even remotely good defensive players wanting to come here while casteel is coaching.
Especially DL since the scheme wants them to tie up the blockers while the LBs get the tackles and sacks.

Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

Can anyone remember a worse 24 hour stretch for u of a football? Dayum.
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
2. Whoever plays ASU this week
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Folesfor10K wrote:Can anyone remember a worse 24 hour stretch for u of a football? Dayum.
Yeah, it's called the entire Mackovic era.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Everyone knew it was probably gonna happen. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

catinfl wrote:Everyone knew it was probably gonna happen. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.
He's looked like he's been fishing for better offers for a while. The 'Bama offer certainly didn't help Arizona.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azpenguin wrote:
catinfl wrote:Everyone knew it was probably gonna happen. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.
He's looked like he's been fishing for better offers for a while. The 'Bama offer certainly didn't help Arizona.
I don't think that offer is even on the table any more for him, so he's going fishing for anything new.
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Folesfor10K wrote:Can anyone remember a worse 24 hour stretch for u of a football? Dayum.
Yeah, it's called the entire Mackovic era.
That's my point...that awfulness happenned over an entire era...we just had our most embaressing game ever, lost one of our prized d recruits, our gated rival just landed a guy whose girlfriend goes to u of a, and find out rr is headed out...all in one freaking day?
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
2. Whoever plays ASU this week
Scummy Dick Douglas

N'Keal Harry has committed to ASU
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:N'Keal Harry has committed to ASU
Congrats. He's gonna be good.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Since rhe is apparently not fast enough to be a receiver, do you expect that he will be moved to TE, or will he play LB?
Scummy Dick Douglas

Harvey Specter wrote:
Since rhe is apparently not fast enough to be a receiver, do you expect that he will be moved to TE, or will he play LB?
There is still a bit of debate as to where he fits best, but I see him as a TE/3-back long term. ASU will probably have him playing the 5 at first.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

It looks like ASU recruiting is picking up steam, while our recruiting has hit a wall and we will likely have to fill our class with 2 and 3 stars who no one really wants. This is extremely concerning considering we have similar records and obvious openings for playing time on both sides of the ball. Even more concerning is that ASU appears to be taking ownership of the state. The got Harry and signs are pointing to them getting Lucas and possible Murphy as well. They also appear to be able to recruit Texas just fine while we appear to be locked out of the state. My question is, what do we need to do in order to recruit at a quality level? I think Dudek is great and everyone loves him, but he is obviously not enough. Do we need to make changes to facilities (indoor practice field for those brutal August two a days)? Do we need to bring in some younger coaches who can actually relate to todays recruits? Ragle was supposed to help open up Phoenix, but he has not even remotely done that and adds nothing to the coaching staff.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Honestly, what have Ragle or Kirelawich done besides the minimum to collect a check?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

gronk4heisman wrote:It looks like ASU recruiting is picking up steam, while our recruiting has hit a wall and we will likely have to fill our class with 2 and 3 stars who no one really wants. This is extremely concerning considering we have similar records and obvious openings for playing time on both sides of the ball. Even more concerning is that ASU appears to be taking ownership of the state. The got Harry and signs are pointing to them getting Lucas and possible Murphy as well. They also appear to be able to recruit Texas just fine while we appear to be locked out of the state. My question is, what do we need to do in order to recruit at a quality level? I think Dudek is great and everyone loves him, but he is obviously not enough. Do we need to make changes to facilities (indoor practice field for those brutal August two a days)? Do we need to bring in some younger coaches who can actually relate to todays recruits? Ragle was supposed to help open up Phoenix, but he has not even remotely done that and adds nothing to the coaching staff.
It's not February calm down. We're in the mix with quite a few 4*'s not saying we get them, but recruiting is far from over
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

catinfl wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:It looks like ASU recruiting is picking up steam, while our recruiting has hit a wall and we will likely have to fill our class with 2 and 3 stars who no one really wants. This is extremely concerning considering we have similar records and obvious openings for playing time on both sides of the ball. Even more concerning is that ASU appears to be taking ownership of the state. The got Harry and signs are pointing to them getting Lucas and possible Murphy as well. They also appear to be able to recruit Texas just fine while we appear to be locked out of the state. My question is, what do we need to do in order to recruit at a quality level? I think Dudek is great and everyone loves him, but he is obviously not enough. Do we need to make changes to facilities (indoor practice field for those brutal August two a days)? Do we need to bring in some younger coaches who can actually relate to todays recruits? Ragle was supposed to help open up Phoenix, but he has not even remotely done that and adds nothing to the coaching staff.
It's not February calm down. We're in the mix with quite a few 4*'s not saying we get them, but recruiting is far from over
Maybe it's just me, but the writing on the wall that I am seeing is that we are more likely to lose our good recruits than we are to gain anything more than players of the scrap heap.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

gronk4heisman wrote:
catinfl wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but the writing on the wall that I am seeing is that we are more likely to lose our good recruits than we are to gain anything more than players of the scrap heap.
Almost every recruit is saying that they know Arizona is having a rough time, but than they cite injuries they're not dumb they know and the coaches talk to them constantly.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

That's like the third time someone has mentioned on this board the need to get an indoor practice facility. Maybe all my bitching on it is finally working.

We need that and new practice fields not inside a baseball stadium badly as then we overcome one of the major objections against us. Having started my career in sales the first you should work on is overcoming your biggest objections. ASU did it and I think they have recruited much better then us the past couple years. The cardinals built one too and it just makes sense.

To me, the weather in Tucson is a structural problem of our program not matter who is coaching for us. However now we can solve that problem and Byrne should be focused on that and stop doing more improvements to McKale.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Newportcat wrote:That's like the third time someone has mentioned on this board the need to get an indoor practice facility. Maybe all my bitching on it is finally working.

We need that and new practice fields not inside a baseball stadium badly as then we overcome one of the major objections against us. Having started my career in sales the first you should work on is overcoming your biggest objections. ASU did it and I think they have recruited much better then us the past couple years. The cardinals built one too and it just makes sense.

To me, the weather in Tucson is a structural problem of our program not matter who is coaching for us. However now we can solve that problem and Byrne should be focused on that and stop doing more improvements to McKale.
Indoor practice facilities are just one of those flashy amenities that has values with recruits. In Tempe and Tucson you could argue they are necessary, but practice bubbles to be just another recruiting weapon in the college football arms race. That said, UA has a football only facility, ASU does not. (Though they are supposed to break ground on one cost north of $65m sometime in the next year or two.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:That's like the third time someone has mentioned on this board the need to get an indoor practice facility. Maybe all my bitching on it is finally working.

We need that and new practice fields not inside a baseball stadium badly as then we overcome one of the major objections against us. Having started my career in sales the first you should work on is overcoming your biggest objections.[/b-] ASU did it and I think they have recruited much better then us the past couple years. The cardinals built one too and it just makes sense.

You should have spent more time in sales before moving on, because the first thing you do is establish credibility and build a relationship. And then prospects will believe you and your 'story'.

From my view, we are getting very little return for our investment in Lowell Stevens - which was supposed to have a major impact. I am not saying an indoor facility would not help, but at some point you have to go out and f***img sell what you got - and quit whining about 'what you don't have'.

Nobody's product is perfect, and it never will be. Build the indoor facility and it will be 'something else' that is holding us back.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Remaining AZ recruiting targets:

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... -rodriguez" target="_blank
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Relationships are critical to business...when you have a good product to sell. But if something is wrong with the product, just selling harder doesn't usually work.

What works is figure out how to make the product better in the minds of consumers.

I know for a fact the weather in tucson hurts our recruiting. I am close friends with someone who is as in touch with socal recruiting at anyone and that's all he ever tells me about Arizona. Why don't you have an indoor facility. ASU has one and recruits today care about that.

We didn't get the return on lowell Stevens because honestly it just made us on par with the PAC 12 and doesn't change the fact it's hot as sh@t during most of football season and the summer. What I always love is when people think an indoor facility won't do much for us. Certainely couldn't hurt. Sure there could be something else but at least we have tried to solve a structural problem.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

So what does one cost and is it being seriously considered (from anyone who might know)?

Go Cats!!
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

From some of GBs comments from being asked on twitter in the past I recall that it was being considered but as all things, it costs money. Not sure how much. Couple million? Hire a up-and-coming coach with a respectable salary and ear mark some of the money that we would've been paying for RR for an indoor facility*.

By indoor I'm thinking putting a bubble on the practice field.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

You can genuinely build an indoor facility for like $15 million. That doesn't include the demolishing of the baseball stadium of course, but it's not that much. If you can convince donors to get behind that NEZ project then a donation for an indoor facility shouldn't be that much.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

So I am borderline obsessed with getting Arizona an indoor facility to the point of I have asked both rich Rod and Byrne directly if they want one and when we would get one. Their answer a couple years ago was the focus on the department after lowell Stevens was on Mckale and would be for a couple years. But rich Rod said he would definitely want the facility.

From my research their is a couple ways we could go. The cheapest is what Boston college does which is put up a bubble inside Their stadium after footbal season ends until May. We could do it from May to August but seems somewhat foolish. We could also look at a temp bubble over the bear down field but technically the student tec still owns that (whih I don't understand now that they have their own field next to the Rec). Challenge is that is not a full football field and would block the view of lowell Stevens. I believe the bubbles are in the $8m to $10m range

For something more permanent we could tear down the baseball stadium (which I heard they did not want to do until they were sure that hi Corbett is the long term place for baseball which I think everyone believes it is now). And build multiple practice fields and a bubble or more permanent structure. I would personally prefer an indoor facility that is more permentant and includes a field and track so soccer, track and field, and football can all use it during the summer. It could benefit many sports. However the more traditional way is just a football field.

I think it's somewhere between $10m to $20m. Right now they are raising $7m for the new academic center which i think the talk is now building outside McKale on the third base line of the baseball stadium in its own building. That is needed and work should start next year. However then I think the re working of sancet and a practice facility is next for sure.

So huge as it just takes away something many recruits think about when deciding not to go to Arizona. It won't solve everything but very much needed.

Then I think you have to look at updating Arizona stadium as many parts are simply so old and tired. But that's long term as recruits don't care if the restrooms are old as they only see the nice new part of the stadium.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:Relationships are critical to business...when you have a good product to sell. But if something is wrong with the product, just selling harder doesn't usually work.

What works is figure out how to make the product better in the minds of consumers.

I know for a fact the weather in tucson hurts our recruiting. I am close friends with someone who is as in touch with socal recruiting at anyone and that's all he ever tells me about Arizona. Why don't you have an indoor facility. ASU has one and recruits today care about that.

We didn't get the return on lowell Stevens because honestly it just made us on par with the PAC 12 and doesn't change the fact it's hot as sh@t during most of football season and the summer. What I always love is when people think an indoor facility won't do much for us. Certainely couldn't hurt. Sure there could be something else but at least we have tried to solve a structural problem.
I don't disagree with a single thing you posted, and would be the first to admit it is easier to sell a good product than a bad one.

But I will tell you that I have worked in organizations with mediocre products, and the top performers would find a way to succeed and deal with the obstacles in their way (within reason). And I have worked in organizations with great products where the bottom 25% will always point out what they "need and do not have" to be successful.

My point? The right coach could move the needle in recruiting; we are in a better position than we were 4 years ago (parity is better than being at the bottom of the barrel), and our results aren't much different.

In a company, there is ROI accountability for investment decisions. 'You want A, B, & C? That costs $XXX. What incrementally will you commit to delivering if we get those things for you?'

What would you rather have... Nick Saban or an indoor practice facility? I know what I would vote for.

I also understand that is not going to happen... But the point remains. We will ALWAYS be chasing the leaders in the facility arms race, and it is an ever-moving target. And I'd rather recruit to our climate than many others that are homes to superior programs.

Getting a coach who is a kick-ass recruiter (and evaluator) matters more than a thing else IMO. If I donated a bunch of dough for Lowell Stevens, I'd be rolling my eyes as I listened to the "this next thing will get us where we need to be' sales pitch.

"... there is no such thing as a no sale call. A sale is made on every call you make. Either you sell the client ... or he sells you a reason he can't. Either way a sale is made, the only question is who is gonna close? You or him? Now be relentless. That's it. I'm done."

We need the guy who wants to win the car, and won't settle for the set of steak knives. :o

(And yes I realize I just merged scenes from 2 different movies)
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Relationships are critical to business...when you have a good product to sell. But if something is wrong with the product, just selling harder doesn't usually work.

I don't disagree with a single thing you posted, and would be the first to admit it is easier to sell a good product than a bad one.

But I will tell you that I have worked in organizations with mediocre products, and the top performers would find a way to succeed and deal with the obstacles in their way (within reason). And I have worked in organizations with great products where the bottom 25% will always point out what they "need and do not have" to be successful.

My point? The right coach could move the needle in recruiting; we are in a better position than we were 4 years ago (parity is better than being at the bottom of the barrel), and our results aren't much different.

In a company, there is ROI accountability for investment decisions. 'You want A, B, & C? That costs $XXX. What incrementally will you commit to delivering if we get those things for you?'

What would you rather have... Nick Saban or an indoor practice facility? I know what I would vote for.

I also understand that is not going to happen... But the point remains. We will ALWAYS be chasing the leaders in the facility arms race, and it is an ever-moving target. And I'd rather recruit to our climate than many others that are homes to superior programs.

Getting a coach who is a kick-ass recruiter (and evaluator) matters more than a thing else IMO. If I donated a bunch of dough for Lowell Stevens, I'd be rolling my eyes as I listened to the "this next thing will get us where we need to be' sales pitch.

"... there is no such thing as a no sale call. A sale is made on every call you make. Either you sell the client ... or he sells you a reason he can't. Either way a sale is made, the only question is who is gonna close? You or him? Now be relentless. That's it. I'm done."

We need the guy who wants to win the car, and won't settle for the set of steak knives. :o

(And yes I realize I just merged scenes from 2 different movies)
That is really very good. We must remember, few succeed in any endeavor without being a good salesman. Gotta get someone to buy your idea or it's not going anywhere, and (I almost forgot)...... coffee is for closers.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Apparently Khalil Tate has been tearing it up, if you read Matt Moreno's tweet. Even suggesting he can come in here and compete for the job next year. Sounds like a stretch a bit, but it's great he's coming in early. Plus Modster, we'll have that QB depth we need.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

I like Tate, but I'm not big on true freshman starting.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Serra had a terrible game yesterday