Kudos to Brandon Dawkins

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Kudos to Brandon Dawkins

Post by dmjcat »

I thought this needed its own thread.

I think B. Dawkins deserves significant praise for his gutsy performance today. The kid was forced into a near impossible situation, playing on the road, in the biggest game of the year, way behind on the scoreboard, with an offensive line that wasn't giving him much help. The kid deserves praise for hanging in there after repeatedly taking hit after hit, yet getting up for more.

Personally, I feel much better about our backup QB situation going into 2016.
azpenguin

Re: Kudos to Brandon Dawkins

Post by azpenguin »

If Solomon's concussion issues linger then Dawkins may not be the backup QB. He may be starting.

He looked like a freshman at times but he played his a** off and gave the team a chance. He's going to be pushing next year, that's for sure.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Brandon showed a lot of heart. In my book....that is a winner. Great QB competition this spring.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yep, kid did great. Was sick as well and took a ton of hits. Held up very well.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Great post and I agree wholeheartedly.

He should have seen more time during the course of the season (there were plenty of opportunities) and he might have performed even better.

But a valiant, gutsy performance in a terribly difficult spot for the young man today. He is to be commended.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

chiefzona wrote:Brandon showed a lot of heart. In my book....that is a winner. Great QB competition this spring.
Not sure there is much of a competition in the spring and fall! I am very proud of how Dawkins balled yesterday. We will have a few good backups next year for sure!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:Brandon showed a lot of heart. In my book....that is a winner. Great QB competition this spring.
Tate will be around for the Spring correct? What about Modster?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

3goggles wrote:
Not sure there is much of a competition in the spring and fall! I am very proud of how Dawkins balled yesterday. We will have a few good backups next year for sure!

There will be huge competition. Modster and Tate will be on campus. Dawkins has a better arm than Anu and he also runs better. Tate has more talent in his pinky than Anu has in his whole body. If anything, it will be interesting and I'll bet even if Anu won the competition, he would be looking behind him all season long.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Big ups to Dawkins yesterday.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:
3goggles wrote:

There will be huge competition. Modster and Tate will be on campus. Dawkins has a better arm than Anu and he also runs better. Tate has more talent in his pinky than Anu has in his whole body. If anything, it will be interesting and I'll bet even if Anu won the competition, he would be looking behind him all season long.

Chief, you think Tate and Modster are good enough to play as true freshmen?

As we all know, Anu redshirted his freshman year and noodle armed BJ Denker was given the reigns.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
3goggles wrote:

Chief, you think Tate and Modster are good enough to play as true freshmen?

As we all know, Anu redshirted his freshman year and noodle armed BJ Denker was given the reigns.

I don't think Modster is. I think Tate will push him as will Dawkins. IMO....RR is salivating over Tate. It's one of the best talents that he has ever recruited and a project at QB for him but the payoff could be astronomical. He has all of the tools to be a good QB....with RR tutelage....look out. With RR after this season....all bets are off and no positions are safe.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Said it in the game thread. Dawkins showed a ton of heart. That was an impossible situation he was thrown into. He had 3 huge miscues (the two pick 6's and the Matt Scottesque leap for a fumble), but a lot of that was understandable. He had a free rusher coming at him at nearly every single play. The kid took an unreal amount of punishment and still lead the team to what would have been an improbable comeback.

In reality, the defense only gave up 1 score in the second half, and none in the 3rd quarter. That was impressive, too.

We had NO linebackers on defense this year. Let's be honest. And this is a defense that requires the LB's to make the plays. Miller played like his hair was on fire that game. Clearly his best game as a Wildcat.

My spirits were crushed at halftime just like all of yours. Watching the defense of ASU crowd the line because they knew Randall couldn't complete a downfield pass was demoralizing. And every single downfield pass had a Wildcat receiver wide the fuq open.

Dawkins showed a ridiculous amount of heart and guts in that game. And he has talent. That is clear to see. He can run this offense. His legs are better than Anu's. He can throw a deep ball with touch (something Anu struggles with too, with all his overthrows).

He needs to get stronger and faster in the off-season.

With this offense, your qb is going to take a beating. If you are doing it right. So we need TWO Dawkin like QBs. I think Anu and BDawk are going to be fine next year. We still have a shit-ton of WR's (Griffey was magnificent).

I'm hopeful.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

The Butcher wrote:Said it in the game thread. Dawkins showed a ton of heart. That was an impossible situation he was thrown into. He had 3 huge miscues (the two pick 6's and the Matt Scottesque leap for a fumble), but a lot of that was understandable. He had a free rusher coming at him at nearly every single play. The kid took an unreal amount of punishment and still lead the team to what would have been an improbable comeback.

In reality, the defense only gave up 1 score in the second half, and none in the 3rd quarter. That was impressive, too.

We had NO linebackers on defense this year. Let's be honest. And this is a defense that requires the LB's to make the plays. Miller played like his hair was on fire that game. Clearly his best game as a Wildcat.

My spirits were crushed at halftime just like all of yours. Watching the defense of ASU crowd the line because they knew Randall couldn't complete a downfield pass was demoralizing. And every single downfield pass had a Wildcat receiver wide the fuq open.

Dawkins showed a ridiculous amount of heart and guts in that game. And he has talent. That is clear to see. He can run this offense. His legs are better than Anu's. He can throw a deep ball with touch (something Anu struggles with too, with all his overthrows).

With this offense, your qb is going to take a beating. If you are doing it right. So we need TWO Dawkin like QBs. I think Anu and BDawk are going to be fine next year. We still have a shit-ton of WR's (Griffey was magnificent).

I'm hopeful.
Dawkins showed that he can be relied upon as a backup and hopefully that allows us to redshirt Tate and Modster. ASU was basically asking for him to beat them with his arm and he did at times, but with Anu playing we would have torched their secondary. They loaded the box to stop the run and dared us to pass on them and without Anu it was a good game plan.

DeAndre Miller played a great game. When he committed I had high hopes for him, but he was kind of disappointing and got buried behind (Scoob, Turituri, and Ippo) The injuries gave him and Matthews a great opportunity and until the curse caught up to Matthews he was playing well too. We have four solid LB's with experince next year and just need some kids like Kenny, Franklin, and Maybe Ware to be able to provide some depth.

Next year ASU loses 4 OL their QB. 3 of the top 4 receivers and 5 players on defense. We should beat them next year. We will have an offense returning almost every weapon other than Jackson and Richards. We lose Bundage and Maiva, but we have recruited well on the OL. Offense should be fine next year. Defense will be a year older and the secondary was really young. I have hope for next year.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

catinfl wrote:
The Butcher wrote:Said it in the game thread. Dawkins showed a ton of heart. That was an impossible situation he was thrown into. He had 3 huge miscues (the two pick 6's and the Matt Scottesque leap for a fumble), but a lot of that was understandable. He had a free rusher coming at him at nearly every single play. The kid took an unreal amount of punishment and still lead the team to what would have been an improbable comeback.

I'm hopeful.
Dawkins showed that he can be relied upon as a backup and hopefully that allows us to redshirt Tate and Modster. ASU was basically asking for him to beat them with his arm and he did at times, but with Anu playing we would have torched their secondary. They loaded the box to stop the run and dared us to pass on them and without Anu it was a good game plan.

DeAndre Miller played a great game. When he committed I had high hopes for him, but he was kind of disappointing and got buried behind (Scoob, Turituri, and Ippo) The injuries gave him and Matthews a great opportunity and until the curse caught up to Matthews he was playing well too. We have four solid LB's with experince next year and just need some kids like Kenny, Franklin, and Maybe Ware to be able to provide some depth.

Next year ASU loses 4 OL their QB. 3 of the top 4 receivers and 5 players on defense. We should beat them next year. We will have an offense returning almost every weapon other than Jackson and Richards. We lose Bundage and Maiva, but we have recruited well on the OL. Offense should be fine next year. Defense will be a year older and the secondary was really young. I have hope for next year.
I have read all the reasons why "next year we will be better than ASU" for the past 4 years... And there is some story as to 'why things do not work out that way' when we don't 75% of the time - as if it should have been expected. I am tired of reading this story.

Many of the same folks (you may not have been one of them) who have since bemoaned the 'bare cupboard' at UA in years 1-2 were also crowing about how much better a situation RR was walking into than Graham when both were hired.

This year the decimation by injuries is a legitimate excuse... But barring a repeat of the injury epidemic, please go on record next season IF we lose and state that we shouldn't have. At some point accountability has to come into play come rain or shine.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

catinfl wrote:We will have an offense returning almost every weapon other than Jackson and Richards.
Someone who hasn't been getting enough credit IMO. Tough SOB who makes tough catches when they're needed the most.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

azpenguin wrote:
catinfl wrote:We will have an offense returning almost every weapon other than Jackson and Richards.
Someone who hasn't been getting enough credit IMO. Tough SOB who makes tough catches when they're needed the most.
YES. What a great story for a player always willing to help out. Moved from Offense to Defense back to Offense.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Harvey Specter wrote:
catinfl wrote:

I'm hopeful.

I have read all the reasons why "next year we will be better than ASU" for the past 4 years... And there is some story as to 'why things do not work out that way' when we don't 75% of the time - as if it should have been expected. I am tired of reading this story.

Many of the same folks (you may not have been one of them) who have since bemoaned the 'bare cupboard' at UA in years 1-2 were also crowing about how much better a situation RR was walking into than Graham when both were hired.

This year the decimation by injuries is a legitimate excuse... But barring a repeat of the injury epidemic, please go on record next season IF we lose and state that we shouldn't have. At some point accountability has to come into play come rain or shine.
The cupboard was bare. Other than school bias, RR and Graham came into similar situations.

As far as head to head:

Game 1: Cats cruising to victory until Scott has the melt down of all melt downs in the 4th quarter.
Game 2: Devils destroyed us. Very concerning as our defense had no answers and were completely out of position all game long.
Game 3: Cats win in the biggest rivalry game in memory.
Game 4: Immense injuries going in, but Solomon's was the clincher. Very little shot at ASU. Still, our 3rd string QB almost brought us back.

Other than game 2, not sure what else RR could have done. I believe accountability is constant in the huge money that is Div. 1 college football. I do not believe RR is on the hot seat. Without the astonishing injuries I doubt the Cats have this bad of a year under RR again. If we do, the rumblings will begin. It is the name of the game.

Go Cats!!
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

"...This year the decimation by injuries is a legitimate excuse... But barring a repeat of the injury epidemic, please go on record next season IF we lose and state that we shouldn't have. At some point accountability has to come into play come rain or shine.

The cupboard was bare. Other than school bias, RR and Graham came into similar situations.

As far as head to head:

Game 1: Cats cruising to victory until Scott has the melt down of all melt downs in the 4th quarter.
Game 2: Devils destroyed us. Very concerning as our defense had no answers and were completely out of position all game long.
Game 3: Cats win in the biggest rivalry game in memory.
Game 4: Immense injuries going in, but Solomon's was the clincher. Very little shot at ASU. Still, our 3rd string QB almost brought us back.

Other than game 2, not sure what else RR could have done. I believe accountability is constant in the huge money that is Div. 1 college football. I do not believe RR is on the hot seat. Without the astonishing injuries I doubt the Cats have this bad of a year under RR again. If we do, the rumblings will begin. It is the name of the game.

Go Cats!!...."

You know, I was just thinking this. If not for the Scott meltdown, we had those bastards beat bad. That would leave us at 2 and 2 vs ASU and really what did we expect this year with Anu out?

I'm not normally a optimistic kind of guy, but damn, it's not that bad people.

I'm all aboard the RichRod train. He's good for Arizona.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't think RR is on the hot seat at all. But Byrne knows better than anyone that football is the key to increasing profits for the AD. Basketball is maxed out and all the other programs lose money.

So RR will get a talking too when he has his end of season one on one with Byrne. Find ways to win, and get people into the stands, and winning will get better time slots on TV with more national interest.

With Anu's concussion issues Dawkins may be getting more playing time next season that Solomon, and who knows, may even beat him out.

Dawkins must not be a very good practice player (like Foles) but he sure is a gamer.

Glad for Randall to see he got some Div I playing time, but unfortunately he really stunk it up v. ASU. Don't expect to see him in whatever crappy bowl game the Cats go too.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Harvey Specter wrote:
catinfl wrote:

I'm hopeful.

Honestly we should have beaten them this year, but nobody can predict the type of injuries we went through. I'll go on record right now that we shouldn't lose to them next year. Game will be at home veteran receiving crew with upperclassmen Wilson and Solomon should be able to beat an ASU team with a new QB and new faces everywhere. Barring an injury issue like this season I really do believe we beat them. Cracker has his work cut out for him with all the holes he has to fill.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

catinfl wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
catinfl wrote:

I'm hopeful.

Honestly we should have beaten them this year, but nobody can predict the type of injuries we went through. I'll go on record right now that we shouldn't lose to them next year. Game will be at home veteran receiving crew with upperclassmen Wilson and Solomon should be able to beat an ASU team with a new QB and new faces everywhere. Barring an injury issue like this season I really do believe we beat them. Cracker has his work cut out for him with all the holes he has to fill.
Don't jump to conclusion on the fact that we should of beat them this year. Not with a injuries team we didn't beat them, but with a heathy team we just might beat them. Next season we cant predict what might or might not happen on how this team is going to be. It will be a new year.
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

Dawkins has been taking second-string reps in practice behind Solomon. Will he play in New Mexico Bowl? If so, how much? Will it be a real battle in spring?

QB coach Rod Smith: "Brandon probably gives us more completeness at quarterback."

More about Dawkins and from Smith here ... TucsonNewsNow.com
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No wonder Anu is not talking
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

As always, good stuff, AG.
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

azcat49 wrote:No wonder Anu is not talking
Anu supposed to meet with media after Tuesday's practice.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Gimino wrote:
azcat49 wrote:No wonder Anu is not talking
Anu supposed to meet with media after Tuesday's practice.

Nice. It should be interesting copy. The coaches have always wanted him to be a threat running and he has always been run shy. Given his concussion history you can see why.