2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

catinfl

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by catinfl »

azgreg wrote:
Would be huge to get him on campus. loved his unoffical and staff has a really good track record when getting guys on officials. Still a UCLA lean, but this would help a lot.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

catinfl wrote:
Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Harvey, I love you like a brother, but to think that that are going at a coach because he is a good teacher is just clown shit.

Scummy is a joke. He thinks cause he comes in here and sounds neutral he can be accepted for his analytical opinion. He is a clown joke and we let him post.
Agreed on that.

I think the notion that he would be hired because he is a good teacher is as laughable as the notion that we hired Ragle because he is.

If we are trying to recruit players by offering staff positions to coaches, I'd prefer to actually get some difference makers on the roster, because what he have gotten forum Chaparral... are not.

Ragle brought Ippolito. Arguably Neal, but he went to ND first. Wood was coming here anyway. Not an accountant, but our hurdle rate must be <0 if we consider that investment to have had a good ROI. Not exactly helping us anywhere else with recruiting the Phoenix Metro area, either.
Never said it was only because he was a good teacher. I said being a very good teacher is a required trait for TG to hire to his staff. It cuts both ways. There are plenty of HS HC with D1 talent on the rosters, why this coach (assuming it actually comes to fruition)? Also, wouldn't it make more sense for ASU to want him to stay at Chandler seeing as they are finally having progress with Chandler kids?

Simply hiring a kids coach might work in basketball, but it doesn't really work that way in football. Relationships drive recruiting success.
Hiring him would help him at Chandler still and you and I both know that. It's basically what we did with Ragle so I'm not gonna act like we're better than that, but I think the fact that he may get the job at ASU is helping immensely in landing these kids. Might not be, but just my guess here.
Oh it absolutely helps, I'm not naive. I am just pointing out the would not hire him only to get to recruits. There are plenty of other schools with a deeper talent pools if that is their strategy. The guy would have to meet their other requirements which it sounds like he does.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So is there any chance we can re land Josh Allen?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

3goggles wrote:So is there any chance we can re land Josh Allen?
It has been pretty quiet on that front, my guess we would be a very small chance to re land Josh Allen. We should be all in on Kongbo at this point, as we have a better shot there and from what I have seen he is the better player.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

LSU decommit (4 star DB) considering AZ (and a host of others)

https://www.seccountry.com/louisiana-st ... commitment" target="_blank
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

dmjcat wrote:LSU decommit (4 star DB) considering AZ (and a host of others)

https://www.seccountry.com/louisiana-st ... commitment" target="_blank
He is a 2017 recruit, but looks like someone we should go hard after.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sounds like UCLA is going to start recruiting Jake Burton again
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:Sounds like UCLA is going to start recruiting Jake Burton again
I remember asking you back when he committed and you saying that UCLA was recruiting him. Did they stop when he committed and know they are picking it up? Stay off. You pretty much already have Tagoloa don't get greedy.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Apparently. We also had Wole wrapped up and now his priority is getting his family out here from Nigeria. So naturally TAMU and SC lead.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:Apparently. We also had Wole wrapped up and now his priority is getting his family out here from Nigeria. So naturally TAMU and SC lead.
I don't think he will waver.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

247 had another update on Tate. Said he's locked into RichRod and Arizona.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Looks like Kongbo committed to Tennessee.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

UAEebs86 wrote:Looks like Kongbo committed to Tennessee.

We were never get this kid!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Of course he did. Get well kid
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I guess when you commit to Arizona your welcome package will include a key to your room, parking pass, food card, and a knee brace.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azgreg wrote:
Seriously wtf
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Back to back awful (on paper) recruiting classes is not a good way to fix our biggest problem this year, depth. Can we just hire someone who can recruit already? Bring in the World Wide Wes of football.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

gronk4heisman wrote:Back to back awful (on paper) recruiting classes is not a good way to fix our biggest problem this year, depth. Can we just hire someone who can recruit already? Bring in the World Wide Wes of football.
This class isn't awful on paper. Almost every recruit has a P5 offer and very few 2*'s
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

catinfl wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:Back to back awful (on paper) recruiting classes is not a good way to fix our biggest problem this year, depth. Can we just hire someone who can recruit already? Bring in the World Wide Wes of football.
This class isn't awful on paper. Almost every recruit has a P5 offer and very few 2*'s
Agreed... The current class is much better on paper than the last one. Hopefully we can keep all the current commits and add a few noteworthy ones before signing day.

ASU's recent recruiting wins have taken some of the luster off this class for me, but there is no doubt it appears to be a move in the right direction.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

catinfl wrote:
This class on paper has better avg star ranking than 2015. Actually barely the best avg so far under RR. 2014 RR class was only other class with over a 3.0 avg rating.

BUT, it's still falling behind most others in pac. Not good enough to compete with your own classes. More pac teams now averaging over 3.0 avg than before.

Recall commenting on last year's uninspiring class, and many others commenting-defending last year's class. That last year's AZ success was not anticipated, that last year's success would play out in this year's class. A year behind. Just watch...

So is this the ceiling or near the ceiling or what fans should expect? Is this what they were talking about? lower fourth/bottom third on paper of pac recruiting rankings?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I strongly disagree this class is not awful on paper, the only difference between this year and last is the two QB's we recruited this year compared to the zero we recruited last year. Please explain how it is better? I guess London Iakopo and Jacob Colacion could be considered better than Fotu and Antonio Parks, but not by much. Walker > Eletise. And the rest of both classes is pretty much a bunch of filler who would be the 25th player on most competitive teams 25 man recruiting class.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I know I wouldn't be talking that way about kids who are going to be on our team in the coming years and have yet to play a down in a Wildcat uni, but hey, whatever floats your boat man.

What I do know is that recruiting can be a Catch-22. Need better recruits for sustained success, but need sustained success for better recruits. Why this doesn't apply to ASSU I have no idea, but I would be curious to find out why and if we can/want to mirror whatever they seem to be doing right.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Throughout the 80's, Arizona pulled a lot of diamonds in the rough out of the Phoenix area...guys who were overlooked by ASU or at least not heavily pursued: Waldrop & Byron Evans to name a few. Phoenix has grown significantly since then. I can't believe we can't pull some decent talent out of the area. This isn't basketball recruiting where there's only 1 or 2 really worthwhile recruits. It's football and there are plenty of fish in the ocean. I thoroughly frustrated that we cannot recruit better D-lineman for the last decade.

I don't care how good our skill position players are, when we face physical teams like USC, UCLA, Stanford and now UW, we get our asses beat. I preferred the Tomey days when we were a pain in the ass to play because of our physicality but lacked skill players. I think creative play calling by the OC, execution and a solid QB can make up for a lot of shortcomings on offense. But when you can't win the line of scrimmage on defense, you basically have no chance to win.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Chicat wrote:I know I wouldn't be talking that way about kids who are going to be on our team in the coming years and have yet to play a down in a Wildcat uni, but hey, whatever floats your boat man.

What I do know is that recruiting can be a Catch-22. Need better recruits for sustained success, but need sustained success for better recruits. Why this doesn't apply to ASSU I have no idea, but I would be curious to find out why and if we can/want to mirror whatever they seem to be doing right.
Recruiting success is tough to pinpoint. Facilities and winning obviously help, but I still maintain that recruiting success starts with relationships. As far as ASU goes, they have several coaches on staff who have done a good job of cultivating those relationships around the country. Another factor I have noticed over the last couple years is the impact of the current players on recruits. It seems like every recruit that has visited ASU has spoken about the "brotherhood" or "family" feel they get from the guys currently in the program. I know that might seem like a generic response, but when almost every single recruit brings that up after a visit or when asked about what stands out about ASU recruiting him, its obviously important. So basically the recruiting process at ASU involves relationship building by both the coaching staff and current players. Not sure how unique that is in the grand scheme of things. Just a little insight.

Also, when it comes to defensive recruiting the scheme at ASU has been a big attractor. The constant blitzing is something kids are drawn to. DL and LB's get to attack, and DB's are left on an island to cover (but even safeties and CB's blitz at times). Obviously this year it had abysmal results in the back end, but the point is kids like playing that style of defense.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
catinfl wrote:
This class on paper has better avg star ranking than 2015. Actually barely the best avg so far under RR. 2014 RR class was only other class with over a 3.0 avg rating.

BUT, it's still falling behind most others in pac. Not good enough to compete with your own classes. More pac teams now averaging over 3.0 avg than before.

Recall commenting on last year's uninspiring class, and many others commenting-defending last year's class. That last year's AZ success was not anticipated, that last year's success would play out in this year's class. A year behind. Just watch...

So is this the ceiling or near the ceiling or what fans should expect? Is this what they were talking about? lower fourth/bottom third on paper of pac recruiting rankings?
To really judge a class, don't we need to wait a few years for those guys to play?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
catinfl wrote:

To really judge a class, don't we need to wait a few years for those guys to play?
Recruiting is an odd unpredictable business. I've seen 5 star busts, hugely touted guys who never played a snap, walk-ons who absolutely killed it, and everything in-between. You do indeed have to wait a few years on a class.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Wait a few years?

Yes, which is why I clarified "on paper". Since online recruiting service era, no Rose Bowl team from pac12 has averaged less than a 3.0 on paper average for span of years leading to that appearance.

But, in the last 2-3 years, more Pac12 schools now averaging above a 3.0 on paper. Pac12 is improving as a league. So is the competition. As mentioned before, when RR at WV won big with lower NATIONAL recruiting rankings. BUT, as noted WV competed for BE league title year-in, year-out, but WV also had the best or very near top ranked recruiting class in the BE those same years. So RR was competing with top rated recruits against BE competition.

Where you stack up against others in your league matters. Recruiting rankings a strong indicator of that when generally assessing a team in whole (imo, depth many of us talk about)). A 5* bust or a 2* superstar here and there on a team doesn't get one to a Rose Bowl. At least it hasn't thus far
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TuiTouchdown wrote:To really judge a class, don't we need to wait a few years for those guys to play?
We do two things. First we wring our hands on the current recruiting class then we wait 2-3 years and rant and rave about how shitty it was.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:I know I wouldn't be talking that way about kids who are going to be on our team in the coming years and have yet to play a down in a Wildcat uni, but hey, whatever floats your boat man.

Recruiting success is tough to pinpoint. Facilities and winning obviously help, but I still maintain that recruiting success starts with relationships. As far as ASU goes, they have several coaches on staff who have done a good job of cultivating those relationships around the country. Another factor I have noticed over the last couple years is the impact of the current players on recruits. It seems like every recruit that has visited ASU has spoken about the "brotherhood" or "family" feel they get from the guys currently in the program. I know that might seem like a generic response, but when almost every single recruit brings that up after a visit or when asked about what stands out about ASU recruiting him, its obviously important. So basically the recruiting process at ASU involves relationship building by both the coaching staff and current players. Not sure how unique that is in the grand scheme of things. Just a little insight.

Also, when it comes to defensive recruiting the scheme at ASU has been a big attractor. The constant blitzing is something kids are drawn to. DL and LB's get to attack, and DB's are left on an island to cover (but even safeties and CB's blitz at times). Obviously this year it had abysmal results in the back end, but the point is kids like playing that style of defense.
UA recruits also often mention a family atmosphere as being a selling point, especially amongst the coaches (maybe not as much with the players?).

Where I feel like ASU might have an advantage is the relationships with coaching staffs at high schools where when kids are trying to whittle down their offers looking for best fit, their current head coach or position coach will say, "You should take a good hard look at ASU." I'm not sure we have those kinds of people in our corner.

One thing I wish we had more of is a network of player alumni who are also pulling in the same direction. I feel like the Mackovic and Stoops regimes killed that. I know there is more than one prominent NFL Wildcat who has pledged never to come back to UA. Meanwhile with the basketball team it's the total opposite.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Wait a few years?

Yes, which is why I clarified "on paper". Since online recruiting service era, no Rose Bowl team from pac12 has averaged less than a 3.0 on paper average for span of years leading to that appearance.

But, in the last 2-3 years, more Pac12 schools now averaging above a 3.0 on paper. Pac12 is improving as a league. So is the competition. As mentioned before, when RR at WV won big with lower NATIONAL recruiting rankings. BUT, as noted WV competed for BE league title year-in, year-out, but WV also had the best or very near top ranked recruiting class in the BE those same years. So RR was competing with top rated recruits against BE competition.

Where you stack up against other in your league matters. Recruiting rankings a strong indicator of that when generally assessing a team in whole (imo, depth many of talk about)). A 5* bust or a 2* superstar here and there on a team doesn't get one to a Rose Bowl. At least it hasn't thus far
True and I hear you. But what makes a class "not good"? Is it the amount of playing time each member of the class gets? The amount of "busts"? The amount of players who drop out of the program? Is it just star ratings? Or is the barometer for success whether we go to the Rose Bowl?

Last year, had it not been the first year of the CFB, Oregon would have gone to the National Championship game and being the 2nd highest ranked team in the Pac, we would have went to the Rose Bowl. So... that must mean something about RichRod's first few recruiting classes. Right?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Shut out on the 1st and 2nd all-conference teams, with the exception of Riggleman. This, and our sparse representation in recent NFL drafts, is not going to help garner the attention of bigger name recruits. We should have immediate PT to sell at a number of positions where we need help, but that has not seemed to help much.

http://teamstre.am/21sM6WW" target="_blank

We have a coach that has proven he can build a team that performs better than the sum of its parts. That's a sales pitch that will likely appeal to OKG types, but not most of the elite athletes we want.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

TuiTouchdown wrote:True and I hear you. But what makes a class "not good"? Is it the amount of playing time each member of the class gets? The amount of "busts"? The amount of players who drop out of the program? Is it just star ratings? Or is the barometer for success whether we go to the Rose Bowl?

Last year, had it not been the first year of the CFB, Oregon would have gone to the National Championship game and being the 2nd highest ranked team in the Pac, we would have went to the Rose Bowl. So... that must mean something about RichRod's first few recruiting classes. Right?
For me... Rose Bowl. What 36 years of waiting has done for me. It was very satisfying for awhile just being competitive or being mostly full about hope and optimism. Still always look forward to a new season. Don't get me wrong, always a fan. Just have seen that done now enough times. I also had little to much less expectations over the years.

Just added in some realism to curb my expectations. I Have consistently written, I believe RR can be competitive. Thought the same for Stoops. With Tomey it was he was a great recruiter, but back then, much of the talk was he couldn't win the big games. Had the players, didn't convert to the ultimate needed wins. Multiple opportunities, never over the hump.

The Internet has helped change my ability to assess teams and to apply expectations. Didn't have that tool in the past. Just had to hang my hopes and what little expectations I had on what the school or media fed me. We now have other inputs to help us calculate the Odds that a RR can get AZ to a Rose Bowl. It is the ultimate prize us AZ fans have never had. I've already fan experienced most everything else.

I'll add that RR and Byrne say that a Rose Bowl is the expectation. So I believe them and accept that it is.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

JJ Allen is back in the mix. He might give Arizona a visit. Arizona is doing well with Boss Tagaloa. Michalczik Is pushing hard for him....looks like UCLA but.... Arizona is in a good position with Stovall as well.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

chiefzona wrote:JJ Allen is back in the mix. He might give Arizona a visit. Arizona is doing well with Boss Tagaloa. Michalczik Is pushing hard for him....looks like UCLA but.... Arizona is in a good position with Stovall as well.
I sure hope there is some truth to this. Boss is the instant impact player this defense really needs.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Think I saw that RR visited Allen today or yesterday.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

gronk4heisman wrote:
chiefzona wrote:JJ Allen is back in the mix. He might give Arizona a visit. Arizona is doing well with Boss Tagaloa. Michalczik Is pushing hard for him....looks like UCLA but.... Arizona is in a good position with Stovall as well.
I sure hope there is some truth to this. Boss is the instant impact player this defense really needs.
don't hold your breath.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

I won't dispute any of the football recruiting info. You guys seem to be following developments fairly close. But over the years my expectations about recruits and individual player talents have been lifted by what I read, yet when I see them on the field I'm terribly disappointed. Jeff Worthy was portrayed as some beast of a d-line get for Arizona and was going to be a real difference maker. Same with a lot of other players who have been very pedestrian in their UA careers. Obviously, Scooby was a pleasant surprise. But he's been the exception, not the rule.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

someone posted in a thread the records of coaches in there fourth year and they included Saben and Urban Meyer and without exception year 4 was there worst. I doubled back and looked at David Shaw and his 4th year was last year which happened to be his worst year.

I think we will have a very good year next year and we will add another decent class to our roster from this year
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scummy Dick Douglas

azcat49 wrote:someone posted in a thread the records of coaches in there fourth year and they included Saben and Urban Meyer and without exception year 4 was here worst. I double back and looked at David Shaw and his 4th year was last year which happened to be his worst year.

I think we will have a very good year next year and we will add another decent class to our roster from this year
That was me. Its not true of all coaches, but there are certainly a few good coaches who have experienced a set back in year 4.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Boss needs a RS year
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

azcat49 wrote:someone posted in a thread the records of coaches in there fourth year and they included Saben and Urban Meyer and without exception year 4 was here worst. I double back and looked at David Shaw and his 4th year was last year which happened to be his worst year.

That was me. Its not true of all coaches, but there are certainly a few good coaches who have experienced a set back in year 4.

Good stuff and while it is not the rule it does seem to have great relevance and probably for good reason as those guys that could be many minute Sr guys are from the transition year.

Of course a bad year for Meyer and Saben are 10 win years and for CTG and RR are 6 and Shaw was 8 so it is somewhat program driven but I think it is relevant to help with expectations
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

azcat49 wrote:

Good stuff and while it is not the rule it does seem to have great relevance and probably for good reason as those guys that could be many minute Sr guys are from the transition year.

Of course a bad year for Meyer and Saben are 10 win years and for CTG and RR are 6 and Shaw was 8 so it is somewhat program driven but I think it is relevant to help with expectations
Thank you for posting that. I believe you are absolutely right. It happens fairly frequently to some very good coaches and I think it has everything to do with that transition year. Without the injuries I think we would have had 7 or eight wins but I expect a good year next year.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
Boss needs a RS year
I can't remember the last time we got a top 100 player on the DL. Tagoloa would be a huge get. Any reason why he is taking so long to commit to UCLA?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

DLS kids generally commit later on. They have a pretty strict no visit policy during the season
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Jabari Watson has decommitted. There might be more to follow.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

chiefzona wrote:Jabari Watson has decommitted. There might be more to follow.
Jason Scheer is saying it has nothing to do with rumors.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

OSUCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Jabari Watson has decommitted. There might be more to follow.
Jason Scheer is saying it has nothing to do with rumors.

He seems to be on top of all this. Yeah, timing has nothing to do with this.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Well it's not like we need big strong dlineman....

F@ck
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No room for Watson. They wanted him to greyshirt and he said no.