2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrMeow

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by MrMeow »

MrBug708 wrote:Some schools recognize different classes. Ucla looked into him but he wasn't going on. I don't think Arizona is quite like ASU, WSU, or OSU either.
I know USC has high admission requirements for regular students, but football players? Can't imagine Bama didn't want him due to academics. Only UA and Wazzu? Something doesn't seem quite right.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Scooby should help defensive recruiting until they meet Casteel
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrMeow wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Some schools recognize different classes. Ucla looked into him but he wasn't going on. I don't think Arizona is quite like ASU, WSU, or OSU either.
I know USC has high admission requirements for regular students, but football players? Can't imagine Bama didn't want him due to academics. Only UA and Wazzu? Something doesn't seem quite right.
My guess is that he's a good prospect but not worth the risk to the higher level programs who were looking at him. For schools like WSU & UA, he is worth the risk.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

3goggles wrote:Scooby should help defensive recruiting until they meet Casteel
They won't until their official visit.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Harvey Specter wrote:
3goggles wrote:Scooby should help defensive recruiting until they meet Casteel
They won't until their official visit.
Let's hope can get them to commit with out a visit! Sounds easy enough to me!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
carolinacat wrote:Our defensive linemen don't get much push, our LB's are mediocre at best and our DB's are slow and can't cover. Lovely. But everyone screams about our scheme being the problem.
Why do you have to focus on the negatives so much?

Sheesh...
If posters can't handle a realistic discussion of a teams strengths and weaknesses then they probably shouldn't be posting on public message board.
Smartest thing ever written on this board.
Someone not getting Harvey's obvious sarcasm is the smartest thing ever posted on this board?
No I liked the quote about posters not handling a realistic discussion. I know Harvey was being sarcastic but could not agree more that too many fans on these boards especially football seems to never want to discuss the real pros and cons of our programs.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

MrMeow wrote:
I don't think usc was that interested in him, but I don't know. They are short on scholarships to give
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So I hear the new DB coach is a great recruiter. What do we know about him he seems like he has east coast ties. We need to hire a west coast guy what about Antonio pierce doesn't he coach poly?
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

For RR to be attractive to a traditionally better program (or one that will pay more and have a better opportunity for success), he's gonna have to have sustained success at Arizona. The more mediocre records he posts here, the less desirable he becomes. That's especially true for higher profile programs that have boosters and fan bases that are always going to want the next hot commodity coach. South Carolina, which is nobody's idea of a high profile program, couldn't pony up enough dough to make the move worth it. Their fanbase wasn't exactly jumping for joy at the prospect of hiring a coach that was sitting on a 6-6 record. R

Remember, when an AD makes a head coaching hire he not only needs to find a coach that will have success, but also make a hire that is going to excite the fanbase and immediately look attractive to recruits. Look at Sumlin at Texas A&M. He was the hottest of commodities a few years ago at Houston. Now, the shine is gone. Did he suddenly become a dumb coach?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I know it's a highlight tape but the kid was never touched and has some JETS. Reminds me of d'anthony Thomas

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4028572/hig ... 8115375/v2
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

3goggles wrote:I know it's a highlight tape but the kid was never touched and has some JETS. Reminds me of d'anthony Thomas

That line judge in half those clips has some nice size and some speed (particularly at the 1:47 mark), hopefully the coaches are on the phone to see if he has some eligibility.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

3goggles wrote:I know it's a highlight tape but the kid was never touched and has some JETS. Reminds me of d'anthony Thomas

If i had to guess he will end up in the slot and maybe have a couple run plays like TJ does.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

gronk4heisman wrote:

That line judge in half those clips has some nice size and some speed (particularly at the 1:47 mark), hopefully the coaches are on the phone to see if he has some eligibility.
Would that be the same ref that chased down Tate?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oh sh#t, I don't like the sound of that
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Kcwildcat27

Post by Kcwildcat27 »

I saw scheer tweeted out after Tate's tweet about not to worry. Not sure what he knows though.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If you see his Twitter background pic change, then it's time to worry.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Tate isn't stupid, he knows the score.

Since he now knows Rich Rod will be flirting with a new job every year until he finally get's one, he (Tate), already see's the writing on the wall and has no interest in having to move to a new position once RR hit's the road and the new coach changes schemes.

Can't say I blame him in the least.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Tate isn't stupid, he knows the score.

Since he now knows Rich Rod will be flirting with a new job every year until he finally get's one, he (Tate), already see's the writing on the wall and has no interest in having to move to a new position once RR hit's the road and the new coach changes schemes.

Scheer says not to worry...
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Harvey,

Just reading the tea leaves, if Tate has been an Arizona lean for a while now and everyone has known this and confirmed this multiple times.............then why would signing with the Cats be a "Surprise"?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Harvey,

Just reading the tea leaves, if Tate has been an Arizona lean for a while now and everyone has known this and confirmed this multiple times.............then why would signing with the Cats be a "Surprise"?
Maybe the surprise will be that he'll stay loyal to the Cats.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Chicat wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:Harvey,

Maybe the surprise will be that he'll stay loyal to the Cats.
Chi,

It's very possible your right. Maybe staying with the Cats is the "Surprise".

Just seems kinda odd since he's been a Cats lean for a while now. At-least according to the so called experts.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No insider info, but that's my take too. Tate wants to play QB, although he is really an athlete. RR promised him a shot at QB, where no one else had (until USC recently). If RR goes, there goes his promise especially since Tate will most likely redshirt next year and still have to compete against a senior Solomon, junior Dawkins and fellow sophomore (RS FR) Modster who are true QBs.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Or maybe it has nothing to do with what he's doing for college football. Who knows. Ah well. EVERYBODY PANIC!!!1!!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azpenguin wrote:Or maybe it has nothing to do with what he's doing for college football. Who knows. Ah well. EVERYBODY PANIC!!!1!!

That's the function of fan sites isn't it? Speculate then panic?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

[attachment=0]
azpenguin wrote:Or maybe it has nothing to do with what he's doing for college football. Who knows. Ah well. EVERYBODY PANIC!!!1!!
Attachments
2015-12-27-10-11-40-997969088.jpeg
2015-12-27-10-11-40-997969088.jpeg (6.6 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I think the SC sites have conceded Tate to Arizona
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Merkin wrote:

No insider info, but that's my take too. Tate wants to play QB, although he is really an athlete. RR promised him a shot at QB, where no one else had (until USC recently). If RR goes, there goes his promise especially since Tate will most likely redshirt next year and still have to compete against a senior Solomon, junior Dawkins and fellow sophomore (RS FR) Modster who are true QBs.

Merk, all good points. If both Tate and Modster still sign with us, I don't think both will RS.

I think we see Solomon get hurt again next year for maybe a couple of weeks. I don't think the kid can sustain more than about two more concussions then some serious choices are going to have to be made about his future. I just don't see Solomon lasting the year unscathed.

Dawkins will probably be a serviceable back up but RR/Smith will need a ready to go 3 stringer be it Modster or Tate.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrBug708 wrote:I think the SC sites have conceded Tate to Arizona
And the UA sites seem convinced we are safe with him as well.

So why exactly would it be a 'surprise' to anyone if he announces he is sticking with his verbal? It would not... although the kid could simply be having fun to add to the fanfare & suspense. As for what he is referring to on Twitter re: 'his decision'... I am pretty sure his followers don't care what he's going to major in or who he is asking to prom.

Whatever is up, I'd expect we'll know what he tweeted about fairly soon.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Maybe he's got a surprise that has nothing to do with his football and college career? Crazy thought I know...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ChooChooCat wrote:Maybe he's got a surprise that has nothing to do with his football and college career? Crazy thought I know...
His tweet was "You'll be surprised with my decision".

If it is regarding a 'decision' that has nothing to do with his football and college career, then he is toying with his Twitter followers... Which he may well be.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Hey maybe he's going to announce he flipped another highly sought after recruit that's coming with him. That would be a surprise. I mean as long as we're fantasizing here. lol
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

He reaffirmed his commitment per Greg Biggins who is very reliable. Everyone relax.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

How do High School kids who enroll early work from an LOI perspective. Do they enroll and thats their LOI? Never knew this?

FWIW, my contact who knows Socal High School football as well as anyone says Tate is a great athlete with horrible technique for a QB. Actually said him and Modster are almost opposites in that sense as Modster is much more well versed in how to be a QB. He thought it was unlikely Tate would ever play QB at the College level but if there was any coach who could help him figure it out it would be Rich Rod. He thought he was much more well suited to WR or Safety but said he is a good kid that has gotten by on great athletic skill so far. It will be up to him to see if he has the smarts and work ethic to become a QB at the PAC 12 level. He thought Modster had a much greater chance of making it.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

You dont need to sign an LOI to attend college, you just show up and you are good to go. But ESPN and the recruiting sites have made it imperative that you should sign them and create a story about it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708 wrote:You dont need to sign an LOI to attend college, you just show up and you are good to go. But ESPN and the recruiting sites have made it imperative that you should sign them and create a story about it.

That is true, the NLI only protects the school, not the player. If you are an elite athlete all you need to do is sign the athletic scholarship papers, and even then you don't even need to show up and go elsewhere with no loss of eligibility, unlike NLIs.

However, since UA rarely gets elite athletes, they do get players to sign the NLI.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Looks like he is a sophomore. 3 years to play 2, or has he redshirted already?

EDIT:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Any word on if he can be an instant impact player? We are in need of some life on defense, based on his ranking and the competition he was facing I would guess he would need to use that redshirt year.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gronk4heisman wrote:Any word on if he can be an instant impact player? We are in need of some life on defense, based on his ranking and the competition he was facing I would guess he would need to use that redshirt year.
If the statements about him and his offers in this article are true, he sounds like a solid pickup.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/3086 ... to-arizona" target="_blank

Although other info in the article raises different questions... namely about our JC recruiting effectiveness. All the talk in Graham's first year was that he was "compromising the future of the program with so many short-term JC recruits". I thought it was ridiculous homer talk, and now that we have started hitting the JC ranks harder all that talk is mum. Funny how that works...

Bottom line, if you are going to spend scholarships on JC guys with limited eligibility, they better be OKG's who can contribute in the short time they are here. According to this article, I'd give us a D.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

The juco talk is a moot point. Todd Graham has recruited 2x as many JC guys than RR has since he got here..
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

catinfl wrote:The juco talk is a moot point. Todd Graham has recruited 2x as many JC guys than RR has since he got here..
Skip the first 2 seasons and how do we compare in JC guys brought in?

I guess that is why we have been head ands holders better than ASU after that first JC-heavy class used up it's eligibility. Oops...

PS - I have no problem bringing in JC guys if they can play. I laughed at the homer talk slamming Graham for doing it then,and I laugh harder now.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:Any word on if he can be an instant impact player? We are in need of some life on defense, based on his ranking and the competition he was facing I would guess he would need to use that redshirt year.
If the statements about him and his offers in this article are true, he sounds like a solid pickup.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/3086 ... to-arizona" target="_blank

Although other info in the article raises different questions... namely about our JC recruiting effectiveness. All the talk in Graham's first year was that he was "compromising the future of the program with so many short-term JC recruits". I thought it was ridiculous homer talk, and now that we have started hitting the JC ranks harder all that talk is mum. Funny how that works...

Bottom line, if you are going to spend scholarships on JC guys with limited eligibility, they better be OKG's who can contribute in the short time they are here. According to this article, I'd give us a D.
I watched the highlights and that looked like a 3-3-5 defense he was playing in. Being already familiar with that defense would certainly help him to be an immediate impact player. He seems to have good speed and tackles in space. I guess we'll see how he does at the next level.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Tate posted a pic on Instagram in an Oklahoma jersey! Wtf!!! No caption saying he is committed there
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

3goggles wrote:Tate posted a pic on Instagram in an Oklahoma jersey! Wtf!!! No caption saying he is committed there
Probably just rooting for them tonight.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Fuck I hope so
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

I like the commitment of Doucet. Looks like he'll fit into the Defense and has an OK offer list too - West Virginia, Iowa State, Louisville
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
I like the commitment of Doucet. Looks like he'll fit into the Defense and has an OK offer list too - West Virginia, Iowa State, Louisville

Not sure how accurate 247 is, but they also say Nebraska, Oklahoma, Southern Miss and so on have offered with a bunch of small schools.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Kapri- ... tInterests" target="_blank
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Happy New Year :?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Well, that is how to end 2015, with a decommit from a prized recruit. Well, here comes the "see RR what you did by talking to SoCar." I always figured that we'd lose Tate or Modster. Can't have two Alpha males at the same spot, not helpful to anyone. I always thought Tate would blink first..and thought he did a couple of time. Oh well. Happy New Year ya'll and stay safe. :roll: