11 Will Parks and Chris McAlister

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

11 Will Parks and Chris McAlister

Post by ANGCatFan »

Parks is a 6-1, 194, Senior safety from Philadelphia, PA. He is the only Senior on the team who has played in every game of the past 3 years. He started 4 games as a bandit his Sophomore year and then last year Parks started every game at spur. He has 121 tackles on his career (81 from last year), 13.5 tackles for a loss (13 from last year), 4 interceptions (2 last year), and 1 sack (from last year).

Parks will be the stating spur in 11 days and also one of the team leaders. He is already on the Bednarik Award watch list and based on his off season work-outs Park has prepared himself for a big season. With 3 seniors graduating last year, Parks will be looked at to be a leader in the secondary and is one of the players Coach Rod hopes will replace Bondurant's big play ability.

Oh, yeah, and girls go wild for Willy from Philly!

Chris McAlister was a first team All-Pac 10 selection in each of the 3 years he played at Arizona (1996-98). He intercepted a pass on his first defensive play as a Wildcat and ended up with 18 for his career (3rd best in school history). By his Senior year teams were not even throwing to McAlister's side of the field. He is simply the best corner that has ever played at Arizona.

McAlister was also a terror on special teams and won the Mosi Tatupu Special Teams POY Award. As a senior he blocked 2 punts, returned a kick off 100 yards for a TD, and had a punt return for a TD. McAlister was the 7th person in CFB history to return a kickoff, punt and interception for TDs all in the same season and is the only Wildcat to accomplish that feat.

11 is the Arizona record for TD receptions in a season. It is a record shared by Austin Hill (2012), Juron Criner (2010 and 2011), Mike Thomas (2007) and Theopolis Bell (1974). Cayleb Jones had 9 TD catches last year with an injured hand in his first year playing for Arizona and a Freshman QB. Just sayin'.
ANGCatFan

Re: 11 Will Parks and Chris McAlister

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Will Parks makes Bleacher Reports list of top 20 safeties.
16. Will Parks, Arizona
82/100
Ball Skills: 21/25; Tackling: 21/25; Run Defense: 20/25; Pass Coverage: 20/25.

Will Parks flies under the radar on a defense that is all about Scooby Wright. Even his former safety partner, Jared Tevis, earned more praise and distinction last season. But those who watch the Pac-12 closely know that Parks is a special player in his own right. He plays the "Spur" in Arizona's defense to perfection and has the size (6'1", 194 lbs) and hips to fill multiple roles.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I thought that dude was dead for sure.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Sid

Post by Sid »

Chicat wrote:I thought that dude was dead for sure.
Going to be a struggle for that kid to just to lift the remote today.....

:shock:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This kid's awesome. Slowly becoming one of my favorite Cats of all time.

TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Willy from Philly just got picked up by the Broncos! Good on ya, kid!!!
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

As a huge Broncos fan, I would love to get your thoughts on Parks. Where does he project best in the pro's?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

A couple of numbers on him - Pro Football Focus had him graded as the #11 safety in the draft, but #3 against the run. I'd expect to see him as a first and second down type of guy. He's physical enough to play in the league.
Scummy Dick Douglas

azpenguin wrote:A couple of numbers on him - Pro Football Focus had him graded as the #11 safety in the draft, but #3 against the run. I'd expect to see him as a first and second down type of guy. He's physical enough to play in the league.
Appreciate the insight. I think he will fit right in marinating behind TJ Ward and Darian Stewart. Those guys love to come up and make big hits in the box. So he is definitely a safety, not a big corner at the next level?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think Parks would be the first HS player developed and drafted by RR at AZ. Did CTG have any such players drafted yesterday?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

I think this video is a good example of what Willy brings to the table:

https://twitter.com/PhillyWill11/status ... wsrc%5Etfw" target="_blank

Check out other angles here:
http://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2 ... will-parks" target="_blank
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

It's still bull shit he was flagged on this hit!!!
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
azpenguin wrote:A couple of numbers on him - Pro Football Focus had him graded as the #11 safety in the draft, but #3 against the run. I'd expect to see him as a first and second down type of guy. He's physical enough to play in the league.
Appreciate the insight. I think he will fit right in marinating behind TJ Ward and Darian Stewart. Those guys love to come up and make big hits in the box. So he is definitely a safety, not a big corner at the next level?
I don't think he's a corner; he's not the type of guy to stay with a receiver off the line like a NFL corner should. He's better at patrolling and being the help over the top. And if you want someone to come in and drop the hammer on a runner, he's your guy.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Broncos were #1 in Total Defense, #1 passing Defense and #3 rushing defense in the league last season. Broncos also took another safety in the 3rd round.

Parks needs to focus on making Special teams. I assume Broncos have told Parks that as he enters rookie camp. He's a 6th round pick on a great defense. That's his best shot to make the roster on this team near future.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

High School to the NFL with Will Parks.

Scummy Dick Douglas

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Broncos were #1 in Total Defense, #1 passing Defense and #3 rushing defense in the league last season. Broncos also took another safety in the 3rd round.

Parks needs to focus on making Special teams. I assume Broncos have told Parks that as he enters rookie camp. He's a 6th round pick on a great defense. That's his best shot to make the roster on this team near future.
All valid points, but its important to remember Denver lost most of the depth they had at the safety position. They have two great starters in TJ Ward and Darien Stewart. Behind them was David Bruton and Shiloh Keo. Bruton is gone, and they signed Keo for depth after losing both Stewart and Ward for a short time to injury late last season. The other safety they got in the draft is more of a cover type guy, with Parks being more of a bruiser. I like the other safety as well, but I think Parks is the better fit in this defense given how much they like their safeties to come up and make big hits. Parks can definitely establish his place on the roster with a strong showing on special teams, but I think both safeties they drafted end up making the roster.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?