Running backs

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

Running backs

Post by ANGCatFan »

SB Nation on the running backs.
Beyond Nick and Orlando, watch for two more names:

Redshirt junior Zach Green - He is another powerful runner who will get his fair share of carries, especially with Jonathan Haden’s transfer.

True freshman J.J. Taylor – If he doesn’t redshirt, expect him to see the field. He is coming off a very productive high school career. Apparently his size scared away some bigger name programs but OKG right?
Running Backs on the roster (yards)
Nick Wilson (2,104)
Orlando Bradford (208)
Zach Green (62)
Branden Leon (0)
Richie Estrada (0)

Newcomers
JJ Taylor

Hard to believe it won't be Wilson, Bradford, and then Taylor or Green depending on how Taylor adapts to college. I think this is the least depth and experience we have had at running back since Coach Rod arrived.

Does anyone know what happened to Jarret Mitchell? I was hoping he would have a chance to see the field this year. Also, Khaylub Thompson, #32, got some carries in the spring practice, but I don't see him on the roster now.
Merkin

Re: Running backs

Post by Merkin »

Pretty thin especially with Wilson and Bradford apparently injury prone.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

So our thinness at running back made me go back to see what has happened to this position under Coach Rod.

Freshman Running backs on the roster (Bold names still on the team):

None

Pierre Cormier - retired due to concussions
Zach Green
Myles Smith (walk-on) - not on the roster in 2014

Jonathan Haden - Transfer after 2015
Ty Cruz (walk-on) - not on the roster in 2015
Nick Wilson
Omar Boyd (walk-on) - not on the roster in 2015
Jocquez Kalili (walk-on) - no on the roster in 2015
Jonah Huff (walk-on) - not on the roster in 2015

Orlando Bradford
Weston Barlow (walk-on) - no longer on the roster
Branden Leon (walk-on)
Jarrett Mitchell (walk-on) - no longer on the roster

It appears to me we have under recruited this position. Our program should be a magnet for quality running backs, but in the 5th year of this staff we are too thin and lack experience.

We are an injury to Bradford or Wilson away from being in big trouble at running back.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Some of the under recruitment and lack of players at the position have to do with the scheme. It's difficult to learn how to take fakes or take the ball after the play has somewhat developed. That's different than a designed run and is predicated upon the QB reading the ends. It's not the most run free system and takes quite sometime to get used to.
Sid

Post by Sid »

No way JJ redshirts. Let the kid field punts, work him into a slot position and if we for whatever reason require his services at the back position, will be in great shape there too.

This kid was named the Los Angeles Times player of the year and I expect a huge Fall camp for this young man. Can't wait to see how Rich Rod utilizes his special skill set!

BTFD
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Agree on JJ. Kid is going to be special. Reminds me of the Rodgers brothers from OSU.
Sid

Post by Sid »

whatisee wrote:Agree on JJ. Kid is going to be special. Reminds me of the Rodgers brothers from OSU.
Excellent comparison!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sid wrote:
whatisee wrote:Agree on JJ. Kid is going to be special. Reminds me of the Rodgers brothers from OSU.
Excellent comparison!
That would be sweet. Those guys gave us fits.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Tyrell Johnson took some snaps at RB last year as well, didn't he?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

TuiTouchdown wrote:Tyrell Johnson took some snaps at RB last year as well, didn't he?

Yes, he did. I don't know if he' will see any action from the RB position but definitely in the slot.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

JJ Taylor is one of my favorite guys and I was so happy when he chose to be a Wildcat. He has huge drive and determination so I would never rule him out in any situation. The odds are against him seeing any action this season but you never know.
Last edited by chiefzona on Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TJ runs a reportedly 4.34 40. Pretty hard to keep him him out of the slot position. Assuming of course he has good hands.

Especially since he seems a little injury prone. Keep him out of positions that require a lot of contact. Need him on STs.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Michael Lev from the Star looks at the running backs.
Burning question: To what extent will the UA embrace the tailback-by-committee approach this season?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Wilson has a strained relationship with staff. He was not happy at all last season and will have a chip on his shoulder that could get him either ahead or behind. He's frustrated. He can also get hurt in the blink of an eye. I think RR will use a few RBs and Bradford will see a lot of action. Green could as well. Taylor might get used if he can handle the hits early in camp. A lot will gauge on his camp in whether RR uses him. I heard Leon might even see some daylight.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

SBN looks at the running back depth chart.
As for the third running back spot, that’s a big question mark. First, there’s sophomore walk-on Branden Leon, who received high praise this past spring from Rodriguez. I enjoyed watching him this spring and would like to think he has the edge as the third-down back for now.

And then there’s redshirt junior Zach Green. He’s had some conditioning issues throughout his career but finally seems to have things going in the right direction. Brandon Dawkins had good things to say about him this past spring.

Arizona came away with an absolute steal in the 2016 recruiting class, landing J.J. Taylor, the LA Times High School Running Back of the Year. He is an absolutely electrifying playmaker who is already being tested out in the return game by special teams coach Charlie Ragle.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Pac-12 position unit rankings: Running backs

http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post/_/i ... ning-backs" target="_blank

1. Stanford
2. Oregon
3. Washington
4. USC
5. Arizona State
6. California
7. Washington State
8. Utah
9. UCLA

10. Arizona: The key here is Nick Wilson's health. After coming out gangbusters as a true freshman in 2014, Wilson's 2015 was hampered by injury. If the junior rediscovers the torrid trajectory that he entered college with, Arizona will be a productive rushing team again, especially since tank-like Orlando Bradford is a potentially nice complement to Wilson.

11. Colorado
12. Oregon State