Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: This one hurts

Post by CalStateTempe »

#FreeDawkins.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

We are AZ fans, we have as much experience in handling losses as any fan base.

Not even upset anymore. Was I entertained RR asks. NO. In watching games this week I could at least see why he didn't go to South Carolina, they suck.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Les Miles in the offseason?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I know that's crazy talk, but you know winning record and lower tier bowl and RR is kicking the tires again.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:We are AZ fans, we have as much experience in handling losses as any fan base.

Not even upset anymore. Was I entertained RR asks. NO. In watching games this week I could at least see why he didn't go to South Carolina, they suck.
When I made this thread (seconds after the final whistle) I was pissed, hence the thread title. But it definitely no longer applies. I was really over it by Sunday afternoon and it absolutely no longer hurts in any way, shape, or form.

That should concern RR and Byrne. If the diehards start to not care, the dream of having a big time football program dies on the vine.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yup. I'd say my excitement as a diehard is officially withering away. Last year tempered it and this year might kill it.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

scumdevils86 wrote:Yup. I'd say my excitement as a diehard is officially withering away. Last year tempered it and this year might kill it.
Mine is slowing fading as well. I was watching the game at a bar and ended up at home for half time and watching a movie. Between the late start times, the crap product and the general blech of the program...im finding it hard to even want to watch anymore. Kept waiting for Dawkins to come in and it never happened. Anu has been good for the program but its clear the peaked was reached and now the slide is coming into play. His inability to run makes the offense boring to watch. I never thought a RR team against a Kalani Sitake coached team would only score 16 points. I kept trying to make myself feel good about this game due to the fact that Arizona has decimated all of his defenses, no matter the talent level. All I can convince myself of now is RR is a stubborn coach who will go the Jeff Fisher route and do enough to keep his job...
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

CalStateTempe wrote:I know that's crazy talk, but you know winning record and lower tier bowl and RR is kicking the tires again.
Sh#t, over that. Be gone RR if need be. its all business. Heck, give Yates his chance and elevate Donte to DC. I would sign on for that right now. if we do go 2-6 to start I hate to think we are going to waste a sizeable retention bonus on this guy.

And it should hurt given the 4 years of defense we gave watched under RR. We wasted a gutty effort and the one sure thing we can usually count on, failed us. But alas, isn't that the essence of AZ football
jimson

Post by jimson »

Jeeze you guys.

All summer, everyone was talking about the improved recruiting and you want to give up before that starts paying dividends?

The defense looks decent and if RR can fix anything, it's offense.

Wasn't expecting much this year anyway.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

About six months back or so I said to the board that there was no QB controversy or competition. No one wanted to hear it. The so called Anu/Dawkins QB competition was and is just dumbed-down coach speak for the masses.

Rich Rod is and always will be attached at the hip with Anu, until the bitter end. Rich Rod has effectively told you all that Anu is untouchable no matter how abysmal the on-filed play unless an injury forces a change.

Dawkins might get a little play for the next two cupcakes, but during PAC 12 play, unless Anu is injured, Dawkins will never see the field. Maybe if the game a blowout in either direction he will see playing time, but other than that forget it.

This is not an Anu bash job in any way. There are other problems that need corrected as well. But I do believe the kid has reached his upward trajectory as a QB and past injuries have unfairly stunted his growth and aggressiveness so now he is ineffective at executing the offense in a meaningful way and thus has become a very average QB that can be neutralized with aggressive defensive play.

The truth of the matter is if Anu runs like he needs to and execute the offense, he will not hold up week after week. And if he does not run when open gaps are available or outside defensive containment is lost we will not win with that version of a one dimensional offense.

After game one of the year we fans can see the story-line before our eyes. We know it and its the same unworkable story-line from last year as well. Anu runs right 99% of the time to pass into coverage or hands the ball off to a disadvantaged Nick Wilson with few running lanes.

Rich Rod has a serious problem and trust me, he better figure it out. If Anu will not run because of head injury concerns and RR will not mix it up, this offense is dead money when the big boys come to town to play.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I was pretty ambivalent prior to Saturday's game, and I'm not quite sure why. Usually I'm fired up for a new FB season but this year I fee kind of 'meh'. For the first time in twenty years I wasn't planning on attending any games, just catch it on TV. A buddy of mine who comes to town from Phoenix a couple times a year guilted me into going to this week's game and the SC game. I'm not excited really, and that sucks.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think that UCLA/GameDay debacle took a lot out of the diehard fan club.

Get up and drive to Tucson at 4am and be loud and proud and then get pounded in one of the most anticipated games coming off a south championship.

Then to lose to your rival for the 3rd time in four years and have your coach sniff at other programs. Well that tests anyone's loyalty
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

uacat540 wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Yup. I'd say my excitement as a diehard is officially withering away. Last year tempered it and this year might kill it.
Mine is slowing fading as well. I was watching the game at a bar and ended up at home for half time and watching a movie. Between the late start times, the crap product and the general blech of the program...im finding it hard to even want to watch anymore. Kept waiting for Dawkins to come in and it never happened. Anu has been good for the program but its clear the peaked was reached and now the slide is coming into play. His inability to run makes the offense boring to watch. I never thought a RR team against a Kalani Sitake coached team would only score 16 points. I kept trying to make myself feel good about this game due to the fact that Arizona has decimated all of his defenses, no matter the talent level. All I can convince myself of now is RR is a stubborn coach who will go the Jeff Fisher route and do enough to keep his job...
Yup this is how I became an ex Suns fan.

Could really care less about that franchise at this point. Growing up, they were my number 1.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azcat49 wrote:I think that UCLA/GameDay debacle took a lot our of the diehard fan club.

Get up and drive to Tucson at 4am and be loud and proud and then get pounder in one of the most anticipated games coming off a south championship.

Then to lose to your rival for the 3rd time in four years and have your coach sniff at other programs. Well that tests anyone's loyalty
Seriously J right there with you, fuck that noise out of RR.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I will never become an ex AZ fan like I am an ex Suns fan (feel ya there for sure, Suns were my #1 sports obsession until i was in junior high, nothing else)...but I definitely don't get as fired up as I used to. Maybe part of that is just getting older and having more shit to occupy my time with (career, school, now my marriage, kids in the future etc) but I don't have as big of highs and lows with my AZ fandom as I did in my teens and early to mid 20s. I'll still watch as many games as possible and will follow all the major sports but my mood and sanity isn't determined as much by our successes/failures like they were back then. Oh well.

Bear down!
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Sadly I'm in the same boat. Now sure if it me getting older too, or If its the program in general. I still follow CFB nationwide, so it could just be the program. Excited the sports are back, but not that thrilled about the season. It's no wonder the UofA ticket office called me 3 times. I went to look at tickets for this weekend and there are blue dots everywhere. I went to Taco Bell last week on Speedway (don't judge me) and I don't remember the exact deal, but they were running a deal on UofA football tickets. I like keeping basketball and football separate but it's a little distasteful imo, however, I am pretty excited about basketball season...
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I was a die hard Arizona football fan, used to be the Football commentator on the Storey and Hanson show on ESPN radio in Tucson in College and was really one of the few guys commenting on GOAZCATS when it started in 2003 (the dark years) on the football board. I come from a family of the most die hard wildcats on the planet however I have found that I am just not that excited for Arizona football anymore given it seems every year it is the same story. Everytime I think we turn a corner, boom we go off a cliff. I can remember so many mind numblingly frustrating games that it has made me a bitter fan. We never take that next step as a program and UCLA game a year ago was perfect example of that.

In reality as I mentioned our poor to average recruiting is the root cause of most of this. As Pete Carroll once said College Football is about Recruiting, Recruiting, and Recruiting. Until we consistently recruit at a high level like we do in basketball, baseball, softball, swimming, womens golf, etc it will be more of the same with Arizona football. Those programs bring in Top 25 type recruiting classes year after year and typically are in the Top 25 year after year. Those programs have a history of competing for conference and national championships. The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again expecting different results. I am glad Rich Rod realized how important recruiting is at a place like Arizona, just wish it did not take till right before Year 5 for him to figure this out as I fear its way too little too late.

I just can not get excited to make the New Mexico bowl again or any sh*tty bowl game. Since 1999, we have beaten ASU and won a bowl game in the same season once. That does not help build great fan support.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
jimson

Post by jimson »

I'm just not soured yet. Year one of a new defensive and recruiting staff. Stoops got 8 years, I'm giving the same to RR.

The last time I really soured was in the Stoops era where we were playing Oregon at home, with the Rose bowl on the line.

We were leading by 2 scores I think, and suddenly we screwed something up and Oregon went down and made a quick touchdown.

I was driving home from work with the radio on and even though we were still leading, I snapped the radio off, got home and didn't even turn the TV on. That's how sure I was that we were going to lose.

I don't feel quite that disheartened now. I still feel that with this new D staff, the program could be something in the next 3 years.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

jimson wrote:I'm just not soured yet. Year one of a new defensive and recruiting staff. Stoops got 8 years, I'm giving the same to RR.

The last time I really soured was in the Stoops era where we were playing Oregon at home, with the Rose bowl on the line.

We were leading by 2 scores I think, and suddenly we screwed something up and Oregon went down and made a quick touchdown.

I was driving home from work with the radio on and even though we were still leading, I snapped the radio off, got home and didn't even turn the TV on. That's how sure I was that we were going to lose.

I don't feel quite that disheartened now. I still feel that with this new D staff, the program could be something in the next 3 years.
Was that when the fans were getting ready to rush the field?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think our program (and department) are in real peril. I just have this nagging feeling that when Florida announces its new AD that we will be looking for one.

It seems like only after being rejected or not getting the love he thought he should has RR become fully invested in building HIS program.

Even if we play our ass off the next 6 games, we might be 4-4. Wowsers, that gets us all excited. Beating ASSU and hopefully getting to 6-6 looks like the best we could do (at this point) and thus the season is over before it's begun.

I didn't renew my season tickets either nor did I go Saturday and it was right in my back yard. I will probably drive down and attend 5 games:

Grambling St (honestly want to see there band)
UDUB (measure where we are. I think this is an important game for RR and GB. Get rocked and watch out)
USC (Got a Trojan buddy coming in )
Furd (only because I want to see McCaffrey)
ASSU (better beat them RR).

Still invested in the program to some extent but I am not sure even if we had won that game 16-15 would I be all in. I guess I just kind of feel played by RR and we were the one's all in and pulling the rope in the same direction when he had other thoughts. It's just business and in some respect they have lost some of mine
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Merkin wrote:
jimson wrote:I'm just not soured yet. Year one of a new defensive and recruiting staff. Stoops got 8 years, I'm giving the same to RR.

I don't know, I turned off the radio and never turned on the TV.
jimson

Post by jimson »

azcat49 wrote:I think our program (and department) are in resl peril. I just have this nagging feeling that when Florida announces its be AD that we will be looking for a new one.
We were looking for one when we found him. I'm sure there are other good AD candidates.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:

I was in those stands, upper deck. Yes Merk, thats exactly when we lost that game.

That game hurts worse than 2005 in BB for me. And I don't think it will ever heal.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:

I'm somewhat convinced that the early rush against Oregon provided karma that doomed Stoops and may have cursed the entire program.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I know my voice never fully recovered from that game. Nor could I un-see Oregon players flipping off the SW end zone crowd on the way out and the amount of bottles flung at them in response.

But yeah, the UCLA game last year was the straw that broke this 33-year football fan's back.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azcat49 wrote:I think our program (and department) are in real peril. I just have this nagging feeling that when Florida announces its new AD that we will be looking for one.

It seems like only after being rejected or not getting the love he thought he should has RR become fully invested in building HIS program.

Even if we play our ass off the next 6 games, we might be 4-4. Wowsers, that gets us all excited. Beating ASSU and hopefully getting to 6-6 looks like the best we could do (at this point) and thus the season is over before it's begun.

I didn't renew my season tickets either nor did I go Saturday and it was right in my back yard. I will probably drive down and attend 5 games:

Grambling St (honestly want to see there band)
UDUB (measure where we are. I think this is an important game for RR and GB. Get rocked and watch out)
USC (Got a Trojan buddy coming in )
Furd (only because I want to see McCaffrey)
ASSU (better beat them RR).

Still invested in the program to some extent but I am not sure even if we had won that game 16-15 would I be all in. I guess I just kind of feel played by RR and we were the one's all in and pulling the rope in the same direction when he had other thoughts. It's just business and in some respect they have lost some of mine
I completely agree with everything you said except I do not see the Athletic department in Peril. Football, yes I don't think its good as we still have major structural problems with our program that I only think a ton of money can potentially solve.

The rest of the department is on strong footing in my opinion meaning I would tell you that I feel like our programs in three years will be better then they are now regardless of who are AD is including Basketball, Baseball, Golf, Soccer, Volleyball, Tennis, etc. Honestly the only sports I really care about are Football, Basketball, and Baseball and in two of those sports we are nationally relevant and should be for the foresable future. We have top of the line facilities for basketball and baseball now, great coaches, great fan support, great annual recruiting and zero reason to think this will change anytime soon.

GB could leave which would suck but he has made a big difference for us and has started the process of getting our football facilities improved as much as he can to help solve some of our structural problems.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
gumby

Post by gumby »

jimson wrote:
X how many seasons? Been a fan since 1978. The 'wear down' is real. I was over it quickly, too.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:
jimson wrote:
X how many seasons? Been a fan since 1978. The 'wear down' is real. I was over it quickly, too.

Same here since 1981, and in truth, the BYU game didn't hurt at all. Something I come to expect with UA FB. Unless basketball where I expect them to win every single game.

Just not a good football program. In the 35 years since 1981:

Rose Bowls: 0
QBs to take snap in the NFL: 1

In the same amount of time, let's look at a bottom PAC program, WSU:

Rose Bowls: 2
QBs to take snap in the NFL: 5

That's why my choice was Mike Price to replace Tomey/Mackovic. Had some bad seasons, but some awfully good ones too.

But still watch every game.

As much as a fan I am of RR, the gilding is start to flake off a bit. Started with his loyalty/stubbornness with Casteel, and now looking the same with Solomon.

His response about Dawkins too was very KO-ish. Reminded me of when the press asked KO why Jamelle Horne didn't play one game after having an outstanding game. KO said he forgot he was on the bench. Same with Orlando being a co-starter.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yeah, but can KO whip/nae nae?
Right where I want to be.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

RR was way too loyal to Casteel, he should've been canned at minimum the year prior. Now RR might not even be around by the time the uptick in D recruiting pays dividends on the field.

Anu can make some throws and looks very good at times, but he doesn't have the mental aspect down, he's just not a smart football player. I was hoping his brain fart at the end of the Fiesta Bowl was simply a dumb mistake he could learn from but its pretty clear now that he hasn't progressed and never will.

I'll still watch of course, but my expectations couldn't be lower. Pretty depressing for year 5 of RR.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Sucks for Byrne too trying to get butts in the seats. I'm sure he's frustrated...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm still a diehard and will trying to watch as many games as possible. I'll never with the CATS to where I am with the Suns.

But like said above, the loyalty to casteel, the loss to UCLA, and off season roaming eye, and clearly manufactured Qb controversy in favor of a QB who can't/won't run the read option, combine with ample evidence over 5years of RR stubbornness, means the it's simply business with RR at this point.

Get the job done or part ways. Simple. Sadly for GBs sake, my expectations are on the floor for this years team, and I feel foolish for even contemplating that they should be higher than that.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I can just see the scumdevils posting this thread on their board and laughing their ass off.. :twisted:

I was disheartened by the loss but by no means am I giving up on this program. I mean we were in it at the end and loss on a last minute fieldgoal to a decent team. I try to look at the bright side, the recruiting classes are getting better. The D is getting better. The O took a step back but most of the problems are fixable. If Brandon Dawkins shows up and manages the offense better than Anu, he will win the starting job. You have to knock out the Champ, you can't plan on winning by decision.

Yes, I would like more wins. Yes, I would like a Rose Bowl. Yes, I want to dominate ASsU. Even if none of those things are happening, I still love driving down to Tucson, hitting a tailgate, seeing good friends, cheering on these young men who are giving it their best, and celebrating the wins. It is a whole experience. Sometimes the wins are small ones, like an improved D. If necessary, we'll make the move and make Yates the HC and he can try to find some offensive genius to run the O....there are a few out there we might pick. If Byrne leaves, we'll find a new AD and he/she can carry forward Byrne's plans...they are well laid and just have to be implemented.

I've been a fan since '91 and I will be a Wildcat for Life...it is a part of me. Giving up on the team/program is like saying I am giving up on myself. I am not prepared to do that :!:
jimson

Post by jimson »

Well let's see 8-5, 8-5, 10-4 Not too bad and I wouldn't expect a big staff restructuring after a division championship year.

Then last year. Don't most really think we would have done better than 7-6 without the inordinate amount of injuries?

It was only last year that I myself was hoping for big changes on defense. RR cleaned house and for that ballsy move, I feel compelled to give him some more leeway.

The year 4 peak was a bit of a bust. A lot of injuries contributed to that. So year five is kind of a rebuilding year. I can live with that.

I don't know what was in coaches head. Did he consider AZ to be a rehab job for his career so he could go back east and after finding out he isn't such a hot commodity, he is resigned to staying here a while?

I don't know, but he made big necessary changes as though he wants to succeed here, so for that he still has my support.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

He needs to make more changes at this point for me to feel better about the future of the program and its long term potential.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

BYU is a decent opponent. Especially for the 1st game of season. Assume most including Vegas thought it would be a close evenly matched teams. Betting moved the line to favor BYU in last day.

I'm not surprised AZ lost. Thought it was possible. I struggled on who to pick to win. So personally, doesn't hurt too much. Going to be close and a struggle to get a Bowl bid. But that's just an opinion. Going in to season, thought AZ was in a "rebuilding" year. Not sure why rebuilding in year five when many including AZ staff (Scout, Rivals and azdesertswarm analysts too) told us that recruiting was solid year after year. Yeah, I know that's hype. Many of us have been posting the recruiting is average at best. But rebuilding? Defensive staff and as RR said new blood recruiting that side of the ball. Maybe some staunch defenders of the program's recruiting will now admit it was not living up to the hype now that RR has stated as much in reasons to hire new staff.

Listening to RR last couple of days ine thing that jumps out to me is the amount of time he spends talking about the defense in the loss to BYU. Yes, he claims Defense gave them a chance but then he details most of the things to get better at with defense(TO's, RZ defense, tackling, getting off the field, not stopping last drive, letting BYU punt to give offense poor field position etc.)
All true.

I don't know if he wants to limit the criticism of the Offense, or he's defensive about what he's in charge of or his natural instinct is to deflect or his pride getting in the way...

Have noticed he's done this many times after a loss (pointing to defense heavy). But it seemed clear the Offense was the main problem here (other than BYU). He just doesn't seem to spend publicly equal time with Offense analysis after a loss. And defense should be criticized last couple of years. It just seems heavily slanted when talking to media about what to fix or what went wrong. Starting to concern me. Defense gave up a respectable 5.46 yards per play and 18 points BYU game. Great, compared to last couple of seasons on defense against a quality team.

Offense averaged 6.48 yards per play last season. Had 5.86 against BYU and a pretty low numbers for RR team 17 first downs and 56 plays. Two RZ attempts. Scored on one. RR stated multiple times Defense created no turnovers, barely states Offense had two. But Anu, OLine, Receivers played well and minor issues correctable.

Offense looked different many times during game. Assume Offense did some level of overhaul as well but just kept the staff. Assume RR will get another year and some leeway to give the new staff time to adjust and recruit. But after his very public interest in SC and depending how this season turns out, I'm not certain how long that unconditional support will last. Pull The Rope
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't think anyone is giving up, we are still here aren't we? Just that we have low expectations unless things change with the QB situation and the play calling.

I think 2-6 is very reasonable at this point.

UDub
UCLA
Utah
USC
Stanford

Is going to be brutal.

UCLA lost in OT to a good Texas team, and USC was demolished by the best team in the nation, but will be back.

Rich Rod has only beaten USC once, and ASU once. He has never beaten UCLA. While at UM, he went a combined 0-6 against rivals tOSU and MSU.

What major program will want a coach that can't beat rivals? Or fail to show up in the championship game when you win your division?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yeah I really am expecting 2-6 at this point. 3-5 would be hugely impressive based on what I saw on Saturday.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

If RR can't get 5 wins and loses again to asu, I'm off the train.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beating ASU will make it a successful season for me!

These crappy bowls don't count for squat, although I do watch them.
scumdevils86 wrote:Yeah I really am expecting 2-6 at this point. 3-5 would be hugely impressive based on what I saw on Saturday.
Since RR beats one team he should lose to, that would bring the team to 3-5.

But then again, he loses to one team he should beat, either OSU or WSU, so it will even out.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

neut BYU L
vs Grambling W
vs Hawaii W
vs #8 UW L
@ UCLA L
@ Utah toss up, but leaning L
vs USC as of today, toss up, but if they get back on track L
vs #7 Stanford L
@ Wash St toss up, hope our D isn't too beat up by then
vs Colorado leaning W, who knows if they are that improved
@ ntOSU W
vs ASsU toss up, we better win though...

so that is 3 wins, 4 losses with 5 toss ups. only feeling ok about 2 of the toss ups. So that is 5 wins. I expected 7 wins I think going into this season, maybe 8 if the D was improved. but with the situation Anu is in just...meh
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UALoco wrote:I can just see the scumdevils posting this thread on their board and laughing their ass off.. :twisted:
I couldn't care less. Their little brother syndrome is well established.
UALoco wrote:I still love driving down to Tucson, hitting a tailgate, seeing good friends, cheering on these young men who are giving it their best, and celebrating the wins. It is a whole experience.
You have to understand though, that's not an experience that's available to me. My connection to the team is actually very tenuous outside of this website and Scout. The Pac12 network is only available in low def and kickoff times sometimes guarantee I'm not getting to bed before 1am, which is tough with young children.

The closest they'll come to me is Kansas State in 8 years and Nebraska in like 15. If my fandom wanes now, how much incentive will I have to make those trips that are hundreds of miles away? And forget about me coming back to Tucson to see a mediocre team play? And will I donate to a program I barely see?

For those in Tucson/Phoenix, a Saturday night major college football game will always be a draw. But if diehards stop going to every game and people stop coming in from out of town, revenue will definitely suffer. Byrne & RR need people without an every day connection to the team and school to remain as engaged as possible.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86 wrote:Yeah I really am expecting 2-6 at this point. 3-5 would be hugely impressive based on what I saw on Saturday.
You and I saw completely different things. I am actually more excited now than I was a week ago. The loss sucks but the defense was good and if healthy will continue to improve. The offensive line and Anu need to improve but I think it will happen. This version of the line is still dealing with Zack and getting used to each other. Will be better soon. Anu not as confident in but if he doesn't perform we have Brandon.

I think five and four in conference is very easily obtainable and six and three is possible with a little luck.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

OSUCat wrote:If RR can't get 5 wins and loses again to asu, I'm off the train.
If we are in every game and we're running all over teams but just can't stop them, then I'm good with RR getting another year with a shitty record. New defense plus the need to improve recruiting gives him a pass.

If we are stopping people but the play calling, o-line, and Anu are all still out of sync, then what are we paying RichRod for? It would be Stoops 2.0 with a guy who can't recruit or coach his side of the ball.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

wut. well, all I can say is I hope you're right Phx. seems highly unlikely that Anu will suddenly flip a switch and run this offense to its potential well into his 3rd year starting.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The cats with worse defenses have averaged 35.5 points scored under RR, I think we are taking one game too seriously herr. Offense will get better with or without Anu, you can bank on that.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

The Cats offense has scored 17 points or less in three out of the last 10 games under RR.

True, that may be a subjective look at what has been a pretty consistent average, if you look at past seasons, of two low-scoring games a season.

But before the team went belly-up under Casteel in the Mackovicesque 49-3 loss at Washington, such sub-20-point games were mostly against the top teams in the conference.

Scoring 16 points in the opener against what projects to be an average BYU team is approaching last year's low-water mark. If this is the start of an upward curve, that's one thing.

But two more such low-scoring efforts this season, minimum, with no change at QB, and the head coach needs to start looking himself in the mirror.

Because 6-7 this season, for this program, is officially trending downward.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Chicat wrote:
UALoco wrote:I can just see the scumdevils posting this thread on their board and laughing their ass off.. :twisted:
I couldn't care less. Their little brother syndrome is well established.
UALoco wrote:I still love driving down to Tucson, hitting a tailgate, seeing good friends, cheering on these young men who are giving it their best, and celebrating the wins. It is a whole experience.
You have to understand though, that's not an experience that's available to me. My connection to the team is actually very tenuous outside of this website and Scout. The Pac12 network is only available in low def and kickoff times sometimes guarantee I'm not getting to bed before 1am, which is tough with young children.

The closest they'll come to me is Kansas State in 8 years and Nebraska in like 15. If my fandom wanes now, how much incentive will I have to make those trips that are hundreds of miles away? And forget about me coming back to Tucson to see a mediocre team play? And will I donate to a program I barely see?

For those in Tucson/Phoenix, a Saturday night major college football game will always be a draw. But if diehards stop going to every game and people stop coming in from out of town, revenue will definitely suffer. Byrne & RR need people without an every day connection to the team and school to remain as engaged as possible.
Touch em all Chi, grand slam!!!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: The loss sucks but the defense was good and if healthy will continue to improve.
I think it's funny that everyone thinks the D was good except for RichRod.

To hold the other team to 18 points without getting a turnover, and giving up 160+ yards to their star RB was quite impressive.

Last year's Scooby-less team would have given up 35.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote: The loss sucks but the defense was good and if healthy will continue to improve.
I think it's funny that everyone thinks the D was good except for RichRod.

To hold the other team to 18 points without getting a turnover, and giving up 160+ yards to their star RB was quite impressive.

Last year's Scooby-less team would have given up 35.
Yes, but that "star RB" is on a crappy team. :lol:

The proof will be in the pudding up at Utah on Saturday night, I'm thinking BYU is going to punch the Utes in the throat. We shall soon see....