Offensive Depth Chart

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

Offensive Depth Chart

Post by ANGCatFan »

AZ Desert Swarm has out an early offensive depth chart projection:

Here's a depressing stat from the article:
Over 57 percent of Arizona’s drives were three-and-outs, which gave the defense no time to catch its breath.
I think Denson and Eletise will work their way into the starting rotation.

I find it funny they list 5 QBs and just 3 running backs. I'm guessing it is coach's son bias. I'll be shocked if Zach Green doesn't see more playing time than Rhett Rodriguez and K'Hari Lane combined (both likely redshirts) and Zach Werlinger will probably start the season as the #3 QB.
Merkin

Re: Offensive Depth Chart

Post by Merkin »

I see 5 RBs on that depth chart.

2 of them just happen to be on the top of the QB chart. :D
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sigh.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:Sigh.
How's your new message board coming along?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:I see 5 RBs on that depth chart.

2 of them just happen to be on the top of the QB chart. :D

That's funny.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

From Brandon Combs, AZDS, 5 most important offensive players.
5. Shawn Poindexter, senior, wide receiver

4. Nathan Eldridge, redshirt sophomore, center

3. J.J. Taylor, redshirt freshman, running back

2. Khalil Tate, sophomore, quarterback

1. Brandon Dawkins, redshirt junior, quarterback
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I released mine earlier today....

1. Nathan Eldridge
2. Nick Wilson
3. Khalil Tate
4. Cam Denson
5. Layth Friekh
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

Any word on if Tate or Dawkins can hit the broadside of the barn yet?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:Any word on if Tate or Dawkins can hit the broadside of the barn yet?

They both rather run through the barn.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So chief, you like Tate better than Dawkins? I do think Tate has more upside but losing that redshirt year will hurt in his development IMO
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:So chief, you like Tate better than Dawkins? I do think Tate has more upside but losing that redshirt year will hurt in his development IMO

Yes I do. He has the stuff to be the best prototypical RR QB ever. Gotta clear his head and wear a leash though. I'm a closet KT fan.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So do you think Tate can and will beat out Dawk over the course of the year?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:So do you think Tate can and will beat out Dawk over the course of the year?

He can but i don't think he will. I think Dawkins starts the first one but Khalil will get his chance.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Has Khalil Tate even turned 20nyet? How about Donavan Tate? Already 26 but hasn't played football for 7 years.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Has Khalil Tate even turned 20nyet? How about Donavan Tate? Already 26 but hasn't played football for 7 years.

I predict Dawkins and both Tate boys play vs NAU and all 3 start at least one game this season.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:Has Khalil Tate even turned 20nyet? How about Donavan Tate? Already 26 but hasn't played football for 7 years.

I predict Dawkins and both Tate boys play vs NAU and all 3 start at least one game this season.

Decent prediction.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Decent prediction.

What about RhettRod? Keep his redshirt so he can play elsewhere next year without sitting out?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Decent prediction.

What about RhettRod? Keep his redshirt so he can play elsewhere next year without sitting out?
No chance unless the other three (Dawkins, K Tate and D Tate) are injured.

I think D Tate will take some time to get back to football and learn the playbook but he has the talent. Offers from North Carolina, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Miami, Michigan and USC. #5 QB in 2009 and a top 100 player. Weeden at Oklahoma State had a similar history but wasnt as highly recruited out of high school as Tate and that worked out very well for Oklahoma State. Come end of October I think he will be the best QB in practice and will get the starts in November.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Decent prediction.

RR is a wildcard this season. He knows it could be his last so he might try and pull out all the stops. I think he is gonna be real cranky with his QBs which means that anything goes. You might see a......

Dawkins or
K.Tate or
D. Tate or
Lane or
Rodriguez or
Whirls

He'll probably try and work up Dawkins and Khalil so he can get the best out of them.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ANGCatFan wrote:From Brandon Combs, AZDS, 5 most important offensive players.
5. Shawn Poindexter, senior, wide receiver

4. Nathan Eldridge, redshirt sophomore, center

3. J.J. Taylor, redshirt freshman, running back

2. Khalil Tate, sophomore, quarterback

1. Brandon Dawkins, redshirt junior, quarterback
Is it a comment on our injury, depth and o-line issues that the #1 and 2 are both quarterbacks?

By the way, I have proposed an outside the box offensive system for a while now, and this is a situation to break it out. Start two double threat QB's. Every single play, you have two players in the backfield who can both run and throw. The halfback pass is a legit option every down. Plus, if they can run, you have a legit spread option attack that doesn't really sacrifice much in terms of running.

This also might be the year to start throwing out ideas like that.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

The AZDS headline says it all: Arizona football depth chart: Wildcats’ 2017 offensive line is experienced and thin
This lack of bodies could become a major issue when the Wildcats reach the meat of their Pac-12 schedule. Arizona’s bye week is after a Friday home game in week four, so they finish the year with eight straight conference games (five on the road). If there’s an injury or two up front, all of the sudden there isn’t the time to get them healthy for the next Saturday, and you’re potentially relying on a walk-on in a crucial spot.

Despite the lack of wins, Arizona still led the Pac-12 in rushing last year. So if the starters are able to stay healthy, the Wildcats could be alright up front. It’s just a matter of staying away from the injury bug (and running the ball a lot).
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

AZDS on the receivers.
Arizona wide receivers are:

7th in the Pac-12 in total playing experience
11th in the Pac-12 in 2016 catches returning
11th in the Pac-12 in career catches returning
10th in the Pac-12 with number of wide receivers on roster
10th in the Pac-12 in average height (71.54 inches/5’11.5”)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ANGCatFan wrote:10th in the Pac-12 in average height (71.54 inches/5’11.5”)
With Poindexter at 6'5" (6'7" on other sites) that has a lot to say about other receivers. Shun Brown is a runt of course (5'8") but can get open and has good hands. Poindexter needs to step up, assuming he is not nursing his sore foot.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Really hope young receivers will step up, but also that the passing game will utilize Trevor Wood! TE'S have been very much an after thought and that is ridiculous! Big target and think could be solid option. Need to get JJ in space and in isolation!!!
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

ANGCatFan wrote:AZ Desert Swarm has out an early offensive depth chart projection:

Over 57 percent of Arizona’s drives were three-and-outs, which gave the defense no time to catch its breath.

I find it funny they list 5 QBs and just 3 running backs. I'm guessing it is coach's son bias. I'll be shocked if Zach Green doesn't see more playing time than Rhett Rodriguez and K'Hari Lane combined (both likely redshirts) and Zach Werlinger will probably start the season as the #3 QB.
I'm going to state something very obvious. Arizona offense will go as far as RR can call good games. Arizona has some nice weapons (JJ Taylor and Wood) that should be utilized. I'm more opportunistic about Taylor than Woods. The whole quick plays (and multiple options) leave little room for TEs in the passing game, and thats a shame. But i expect every team to play man to man run (crash line without a second thought) defense. If RR doesn't make teams pay for it, than the O-line will crumble, RBS will get pounded, and QB will likely be injured.

JJ Taylor is probably the most explosive player for Arizona, and I hope those 5 pounds he gained went around the ankles. He was fun to watch.

Question: I know QB's practice with WR's over the summer to get timing and everything, which makes sense in most offenses. In RR offense the QB must read, and quickly decide what he is doing. Can a Arizona QB get better over a summer without practicing with a defense and generally sense of urgency? Is this a reason why we have seen zero to a general decline in QB abilities at Arizona?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

OSUCat wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:AZ Desert Swarm has out an early offensive depth chart projection:

I'm going to state something very obvious. Arizona offense will go as far as RR can call good games. Arizona has some nice weapons (JJ Taylor and Wood) that should be utilized. I'm more opportunistic about Taylor than Woods. The whole quick plays (and multiple options) leave little room for TEs in the passing game, and thats a shame. But i expect every team to play man to man run (crash line without a second thought) defense. If RR doesn't make teams pay for it, than the O-line will crumble, RBS will get pounded, and QB will likely be injured.

JJ Taylor is probably the most explosive player for Arizona, and I hope those 5 pounds he gained went around the ankles. He was fun to watch.

Question: I know QB's practice with WR's over the summer to get timing and everything, which makes sense in most offenses. In RR offense the QB must read, and quickly decide what he is doing. Can a Arizona QB get better over a summer without practicing with a defense and generally sense of urgency? Is this a reason why we have seen zero to a general decline in QB abilities at Arizona?

O-Cat- RR calls the games for the most part but there are a lot of plays where the QB determines the flow and the call of ground or air via Zone Read Option. I think the ZRO has been the life and inevitable death of RR and his tenure. It's THE biggest double-edged sword in CFB. It debilitates QBs decisions, passing momentum, and most importantly, tires out your own defense. Timing is very important but if you're doing 3 things as a QB before you even gaze into your passing lanes, your timing really doesn't matter because you are completely behind the 8 ball. Another problem is with QBs like Tate and Dawkins where the easiest thing to do is just take off and run. That's not always the best decision and it puts the QBs in unnecessarily harmful situations way more than it's beneficial.

I think practice is a good thing but if you don't have a defense to go against, you aren't practicing the way you play. The decline of QBs is the system and part of the reason of why he cannot recruit good QBs.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

looks shitty
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

97cats wrote:looks shitty

They haven't even practiced yet. The are in individual meetings right now with practice (helmets) at 5:30. Full pads start Friday.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

chiefzona wrote:
OSUCat wrote:

O-Cat- RR calls the games for the most part but there are a lot of plays where the QB determines the flow and the call of ground or air via Zone Read Option. I think the ZRO has been the life and inevitable death of RR and his tenure. It's THE biggest double-edged sword in CFB. It debilitates QBs decisions, passing momentum, and most importantly, tires out your own defense. Timing is very important but if you're doing 3 things as a QB before you even gaze into your passing lanes, your timing really doesn't matter because you are completely behind the 8 ball. Another problem is with QBs like Tate and Dawkins where the easiest thing to do is just take off and run. That's not always the best decision and it puts the QBs in unnecessarily harmful situations way more than it's beneficial.

I think practice is a good thing but if you don't have a defense to go against, you aren't practicing the way you play. The decline of QBs is the system and part of the reason of why he cannot recruit good QBs.

I think your reasoning is skewed Chief. Using your logic no one can be successful in that system but Scott, Denker and Solomon were all successful. The difference is they had for the most part healthy running backs. For one thing last year, we obviously didn't have enough quarterbacks. All three got hurt and for at least one week we were using a converted position player. Solomon was never the same and kept aggravating his injuries, Dawkins was gun shy and started running and Tate was never close to being ready to play. On top of that Our two top running backs were hurt and the third got arrested. That's a lot of pressure on a quarterback. On top of that I remember several of our receivers being injured. Most teams limit full contact in practice these days anyway. I know you hate everything RichRod but come on. I will say I won't be patient with another season full of injuries. One year is fluky and happens. Two years in a row makes you raise an eyebrow. Three is a real problem.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Brandon Combs, AZDS, breaks down the running backs.

Are you having trouble getting excited about Wildcat football? Combine the O-line, the threat of a running QB, and these running backs and the ground game is something to get excited about!

Now can we add a passing game and an improved defense?
One of the major positives for UA’s running back group is that all of its key members return from last season, except Grant. Another major positive for the group is the large amount of diversity in running styles.

There are multiple running styles that now reside in the Wildcat backfield. This can be a great asset for UA and a difficult aspect of their game for opposing defenses to stop.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
OSUCat wrote:

I think your reasoning is skewed Chief. Using your logic no one can be successful in that system but Scott, Denker and Solomon were all successful. The difference is they had for the most part healthy running backs. For one thing last year, we obviously didn't have enough quarterbacks. All three got hurt and for at least one week we were using a converted position player. Solomon was never the same and kept aggravating his injuries, Dawkins was gun shy and started running and Tate was never close to being ready to play. On top of that Our two top running backs were hurt and the third got arrested. That's a lot of pressure on a quarterback. On top of that I remember several of our receivers being injured. Most teams limit full contact in practice these days anyway. I know you hate everything RichRod but come on. I will say I won't be patient with another season full of injuries. One year is fluky and happens. Two years in a row makes you raise an eyebrow. Three is a real problem.
I'm dead on with the ZRO. I've studied it and talked with a lot of coaches and players whom I respect who have taught it and know it. RR dumbed it down for Scott and Denker. Anu just rolled right and threw 70% of the time. He very rarely did what RR wanted him to do. I don't hate everything RR.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I think practice is a good thing but if you don't have a defense to go against, you aren't practicing the way you play. The decline of QBs is the system and part of the reason of why he cannot recruit good QBs.[/quote]

I think your reasoning is skewed Chief. Using your logic no one can be successful in that system but Scott, Denker and Solomon were all successful. The difference is they had for the most part healthy running backs. For one thing last year, we obviously didn't have enough quarterbacks. All three got hurt and for at least one week we were using a converted position player. Solomon was never the same and kept aggravating his injuries, Dawkins was gun shy and started running and Tate was never close to being ready to play. On top of that Our two top running backs were hurt and the third got arrested. That's a lot of pressure on a quarterback. On top of that I remember several of our receivers being injured. Most teams limit full contact in practice these days anyway. I know you hate everything RichRod but come on. I will say I won't be patient with another season full of injuries. One year is fluky and happens. Two years in a row makes you raise an eyebrow. Three is a real problem.[/quote]

I'm dead on with the ZRO. I've studied it and talked with a lot of coaches and players whom I respect who have taught it and know it. RR dumbed it down for Scott and Denker. Anu just rolled right and threw 70% of the time. He very rarely did what RR wanted him to do. I don't hate everything RR.[/quote]

I looked up the stats on this site. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Ariz ... NLV_Rebels" target="_blank. Look under game summaries. When Nick Wilson was healthy, Solomon threw fifty percent of the time or less. When Nick wasn't there and a lesser running back was, he had to throw a lot more. I think that bears out what I'm saying, you need a healthy running back. I think Denker had no talent at all but he was probably one of the brightest QBs we have had here since Tom Tunnicliff. I doubt if the system was dumbed down for him. If they did and he was still successful, what does that say about your logic? Again, Denker and Scott had a tremendous running back that didn't get hurt.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Grumpy....you're getting off track....Here's my original statement in quotes. Scott had 2 concussions. Anu had 3 that we know of. Dawkins has had one. It debilitates QBs and decisions and it's unnecessary.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Chief, I didn't get a bit off track. You commented that Arizona doesn't recruit good quarterbacks and basically blamed the ZRO system for it. In your logic quarterbacks are always behind the 8ball and can't be successful in that system. I happen to think that logic is skewed because we've had some very successful quarterbacks in that system. I also commented that for that system to be successful you need a healthy dynamic running back and an astute quarterback. Honestly I don't know if Dawkins or Tate are but if you're judging them on last year's performance, I think that's wrong. There were a lot of dynamics going on that were a formula for a complete disaster and that's what we got. I still think you hate everything RichRod. LOL
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

tgrumpy2 wrote:Chief, I didn't get a bit off track. You commented that Arizona doesn't recruit good quarterbacks and basically blamed the ZRO system for it. In your logic quarterbacks are always behind the 8ball and can't be successful in that system. I happen to think that logic is skewed because we've had some very successful quarterbacks in that system. I also commented that for that system to be successful you need a healthy dynamic running back and an astute quarterback. Honestly I don't know if Dawkins or Tate are but if you're judging them on last year's performance, I think that's wrong. There were a lot of dynamics going on that were a formula for a complete disaster and that's what we got. I still think you hate everything RichRod. LOL

I never mentioned anything about being successful. You got stuck on that. The system is predicated on the run to set up the pass. Do you think that Dawkins is a solid QB? Do you think that Arizona has actually had a GOOD QB since RR got here? Do you think Arizona is recruiting good enough at QB? Comparatively with other PAC 12 schools? Do you notice the QBs getting injured more than normal? Do you see RBs getting injured more than normal? Why do you think that is? Have Arizona receivers been pissed about being open and not getting the ball? That was problematic when Anu was QB. Did you notice Anu getting hurt over and over and his production dropped? I'm curious to see your answers because we must be watching a different team.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... e4f56.html" target="_blank

First-team offensive line (from left to right): Layth Friekh, Christian Boettcher, Nathan Eldridge, Jacob Alsadek, Cody Creason.

First-team skill-position players: QB Dawkins, RB Wilson, TE Trevor Wood, WRs Shun Brown, Shawn Pointexter and Cedric Peterson.

Second-team offensive line (L-R): Bryson Cain, Michael Eletise, Levi Walton, Alex Kosinski, Gerhard de Beer.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

chiefzona wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:Chief, I didn't get a bit off track. You commented that Arizona doesn't recruit good quarterbacks and basically blamed the ZRO system for it. In your logic quarterbacks are always behind the 8ball and can't be successful in that system. I happen to think that logic is skewed because we've had some very successful quarterbacks in that system. I also commented that for that system to be successful you need a healthy dynamic running back and an astute quarterback. Honestly I don't know if Dawkins or Tate are but if you're judging them on last year's performance, I think that's wrong. There were a lot of dynamics going on that were a formula for a complete disaster and that's what we got. I still think you hate everything RichRod. LOL

I never mentioned anything about being successful. You got stuck on that. The system is predicated on the run to set up the pass. Do you think that Dawkins is a solid QB? Do you think that Arizona has actually had a GOOD QB since RR got here? Do you think Arizona is recruiting good enough at QB? Comparatively with other PAC 12 schools? Do you notice the QBs getting injured more than normal? Do you see RBs getting injured more than normal? Why do you think that is? Have Arizona receivers been pissed about being open and not getting the ball? That was problematic when Anu was QB. Did you notice Anu getting hurt over and over and his production dropped? I'm curious to see your answers because we must be watching a different team.
Chief we are watching the same team. We just have different opinions is all. I did mention the injuries and went so far as to say one more year of massive injuries is a real problem. I guess I didn't state that well enough. One more year of massive injuries and I think RR and his staff can definitely seek other employment. Is that clear enough for you? I also stated to run this system you need healthy running backs and we haven't had that in two years. Again please refer back to my previous statement on injuries. You don't like the system and you make that clear. You may not think so but to me you implied that quarterbacks can't be successful in this system and that's why we don't recruit good ones. What do I think of our present quarterback situation? I don't think you can use last year as a measuring stick. I think there were far to man other dynamics going on. Please refer back, I also stated I don't know if Tate or Dawkins are smart enough. We'll see this year. Did I answer your questions to your satisfaction? Did I miss any? lol
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Grumpy.....check this out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footba ... orth-texas" target="_blank
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

chiefzona wrote:Grumpy.....check this out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footba ... orth-texas" target="_blank

Yes Chief, we had one of the worst 3 and out margins in the universe last year. I think I already commented on last year being a disaster. Yes you have a defense that isn't so hot, trying to improve but not so hot. To be effective they need rest in between drives to collect themselves. But we had a beat up offense that either went 3 and out or scored in three plays. The defense never got to rest and we saw the results. I'm not sure if you wanted me to see something else in that article but I'm not sure what it had to do with our difference in opinion on the zone read.