59 Days My-King Johnson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

59 Days My-King Johnson

Post by ANGCatFan »

Johnson was originally covered on day 71, but was later assigned #59

Johnson is a 6-4, 220, Freshman defensive end from Tempe HS, Tempe, AZ. He had 89 tackles last year in 10 games including 19 for a loss, 21.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, and a blocked field goal. Here's Johnson's coach, Brian Walker, talking with AZ Central:
"My-King Johnson is a fine young man who is committed in the classroom and is driven to do well and be successful. Some college is going to get a great football player. Right now, he's working hard in the weight room and making sure that wherever he ends up, that school will get a quality football player."
Johnson has similar size to Deandre' Miller and Jack Banda and could certainly see him in our group of combo defensive ends/linebackers. Always tough to guess if a Freshman will see the field or redshirt. Johnson has all the normal challenges transitioning to college ball along with the extra media attention of being the first openly gay football player to take a D1 football scholarship. I see it as a very positive sign that after the initial announcement, that was carried nationally, the story quickly faded and Johnson may get a chance to play football without excessive distractions.

Here's an on field interview after his final high school game:

71 was the longest run Arizona had against AssU last year. Yes, it was for a TD and, yes, it was by Brandon Dawkins.
ANGCatFan

Re: 59 Days My-King Johnson

Post by ANGCatFan »

Christopher Gillette Boan
from Desert Swarm has an article on My-King Johnson
. No real football news in the article. Here are the quotes:
“He’s been good. He’s a true freshman that’s got to get bigger and stronger, but he’s a competitive guy,” Rodriguez says. “I think he’s got a love for football, which I think will help him get better.”

“They’ve been teaching me like everybody else and putting me in the rotation like everyone else,” Johnson says of Rodriguez’s staff. “They just want to see my physical ability. They’re not interested in all the other things, that’s just my personal life. It has no impact on my football abilities.”

“I’m just looking forward to getting that game experience, and getting all of the crowd jitters out,” Johnson says. “Just the things that tend to give you anxiety. I’m just trying to get a feel for everything, so that’s what I’m looking forward to.”

“I’m a very calm person,” Johnson says. “I’m very outgoing. I love meeting new people. I’m not shy at all, so I love talking to people and getting to know them. And I’m the type of person that will ask you how your day is going, no matter what.”

“I’m not sure how much he’ll help us this year, but I’m glad we signed him,” Rodriguez says. “Because I think he’s got a heck of a future here.”
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hearing good things about he and Harris. Harris seems to be ahead of him but both will be really good players for us.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Nice free interview from GoAzCats. Ashley Nevel, the interviewer, thinks it's great. She really thinks it's great.