33 Nathan Tilford

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

33 Nathan Tilford

Post by ANGCatFan »

Tilford is a 6-2, 206, Freshman running back from Colony HS, Ontario, CA. His Senior year he ran for 2031 yards on 9.1 ypc and 30 TDs plus 25 catches for 601 yards and 8 more TDs and had 1 more TD on a punt return.

Not impressed by his high school production. Neither is Tilford. He enrolled early and has already been working to show he is ready to carry the ball for Arizona. Here's what Coach Rod and his teammates think of Tilford from this spring courtesy of AZDS:
“He’s a guy that loves football, graduated early so he could get here and get spring practice,” Rich Rodriguez said of his running back recruit after the team’s spring showcase. “He’s just got the right approach. He’s got a lot to learn, but coach (Calvin) Magee will get him ready and he’ll have a great career I think.”

“He’s eager to learn,” Zach Green added about his position-mate. “He’s just ready to play, and he’s always coming in and asking us about information and stuff like that, so he can’t wait.”

“He’s gonna be a monster, no doubt about it,” J.J. Taylor continued.

“He’s a big back for sure. It’s a sight to see I’ll tell ya. It’s quite different,” Arizona linebacker Brandon Rutt explained. “You gotta go for the thighs against him, but he’s done pretty good. I went up against him a couple times this scrimmage and he did very good, so I think he’s gonna be a great add for us as a running back.”

“I think it’s his length and his power,” Green said about Tilford’s biggest strengths. “You guys might not see it now but he has a lot of power; kids just slide off him in practice so I can’t wait to see him actually do that.”

“He’s a big running back and he can bring a lot of power to the offense,” Shun Brown added. “I feel like he’s gonna be a good player.”

“In the South,” Brown joked about if he’s seen running backs at that height. “But here, not really. Most of the running backs are like 5-11 ya know, but I’ve seen a lot of 6-2 running backs.”

“But he’s one of those backs that’s 6-2 and you better get out the way.”

33 was Nate Phillip's team high number of catches last year (Shun Brown led the team in receiving yards). By comparison Wash St had 7 receivers with 33 catches or more and Gabe Marks led their team with 89 grabs.

Last edited by ANGCatFan on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiefzona

Re: 33 Nathan Tilford

Post by chiefzona »

He's going to be fun to watch.
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

He hasn't seen any action lately so I assume they're redshirting him?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Robert A Booey wrote:He hasn't seen any action lately so I assume they're redshirting him?

He's already played. Can't redshirt unless he has a season ending injury I believe.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Robert A Booey wrote:He hasn't seen any action lately so I assume they're redshirting him?

He's already played. Can't redshirt unless he has a season ending injury I believe.
Yeah, you're right. I was getting a normal redshirt confused with a medical redshirt where you can play a few games like JJ did last year.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Robert A Booey wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

Yeah, you're right. I was getting a normal redshirt confused with a medical redshirt where you can play a few games like JJ did last year.

I believe if he participates in less than 10% of the season he can still redshirt. Since it was only one game in a 12 game schedule I think the redshirt is on.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
Robert A Booey wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

I believe if he participates in less than 10% of the season he can still redshirt. Since it was only one game in a 12 game schedule I think the redshirt is on.
Unless they made a major change to the rules recently, once you step foot on the playing field your redshirt has ended.

There is a proposal to allow someone to play in 4 games and still keep their redshirt, but that won't be voted on until January.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
Robert A Booey wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

I think you are mixing up the rules for a medical redshirt and a voluntary redshirt. Two different things.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

If they played in the first game and none of the others, you can get a red shirt still on a waiver. You usually need to miss a game or two in the next season
SoutherAZ

Post by SoutherAZ »

Tilford has played in 5 games, so I don't think he'll be redshirting. He didn't play in the Houston game. I read somewhere that they were using him on the kickoff team.

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/document ... _Stats.pdf
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'd like to see him in some of those short yardage situations.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... uries-tate" target="_blank

Running back pecking order is strange

I’m not really sure what the deal is with Nathan Tilford, but it was shocking that he didn’t get any playing time with Wilson and Taylor missing most of the game.

Green did a phenomenal job anyway, but it was interesting that Branden Leon, a former walk-on who’s rarely ever used, got carries over Tilford, a former four-star recruit.

Tilford has only gotten carries in two games this year, but he’s appeared in six games, according to his player page, meaning a redshirt year is off the table.

So why isn’t he playing? Who knows, but it’s not a good sign that Arizona’s top 2017 recruit can’t break the running back rotation even when the top two options are unavailable.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Tilford leads all of the Arizona RBs at 9.7 yards per carry.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Is Tilfored in RR's dog house for some reason? Does he fumble constantly in practice? Leon in before Tilford really does raise the eyebrow.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Is Tilfored in RR's dog house for some reason? Does he fumble constantly in practice? Leon in before Tilford really does raise the eyebrow.

Not to my knowledge. I think he muffed it once in game. I think he’s saving him for a real team.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Is Tilfored in RR's dog house for some reason? Does he fumble constantly in practice? Leon in before Tilford really does raise the eyebrow.
I'm just reading the tea leaves, it has to be either handles or blocking skill that are holding Tilford back.

That's the only things I can think of.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Just looked at the stats. Tilford hasn’t fumbled in game. Taylor has fumbled once and Dawkins 3 times.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Picking up the blitz in the backfield is very important and the experience he lacks. RR is not the only coach who rewards those who stick with the program. he loves Green and his work between the tackle. I am not sure that Tilford has yet mastered the footwork and vision to take advantage of the zone blocking and the holes off the cutbacks that Green and Wilson do so well. Even JJ misses some of those.

I am sure RR has told him his time will come as early as next year where he will slide into RB !B at worst In the meantime give us what you have on special teams and lets win. Now if you want to argue a year was wasted on special teams, well then I am with you 100%
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

wyo-cat wrote:
I'm just reading the tea leaves, it has to be either handles or blocking skill that are holding Tilford back.

That's the only things I can think of.
azcat49 wrote:Picking up the blitz in the backfield is very important and the experience he lacks. RR is not the only coach who rewards those who stick with the program. he loves Green and his work between the tackle. I am not sure that Tilford has yet mastered the footwork and vision to take advantage of the zone blocking and the holes off the cutbacks that Green and Wilson do so well. Even JJ misses some of those.

I am sure RR has told him his time will come as early as next year where he will slide into RB !B at worst In the meantime give us what you have on special teams and lets win. Now if you want to argue a year was wasted on special teams, well then I am with you 100%
Good points guys. I had overlooked the blocking for some reason earlier. I wonder if that's the reason then.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

He blocks just fine. RR said that he isn’t ready yet.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Haha, of course you know that the coaches are confident in him that he can pick up those blitzes Fact is you don't and while I do believe his time will come I just don't think the coaches have the same confidence in him as they do Green (and rightfully so given his time in the program) or what a fumble might do to Tilfords confidence going forward. Running in a blow out against NAU or UTEP is a heck of a lot different then running in a conference game that is a nutt cutter. Hey but thanks for being consistent Chief
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

azcat49 wrote:Haha, of course you know that the coaches are confident in him that he can pick up those blitzes Fact is you don't and while I do believe his time will come I just don't think the coaches have the same confidence in him as they do Green (and rightfully so given his time in the program) or what a fumble might do to Tilfords confidence going forward. Running in a blow out against NAU or UTEP is a heck of a lot different then running in a conference game that is a nutt cutter. Hey but thanks for being consistent Chief
I do believe you've hit the nail on the head but some people just want to troll and throw crap at the wall to see if something will stick.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Haha, of course you know that the coaches are confident in him that he can pick up those blitzes Fact is you don't and while I do believe his time will come I just don't think the coaches have the same confidence in him as they do Green (and rightfully so given his time in the program) or what a fumble might do to Tilfords confidence going forward. Running in a blow out against NAU or UTEP is a heck of a lot different then running in a conference game that is a nutt cutter. Hey but thanks for being consistent Chief

Sure I am. From what was said out of camp to when I saw him....then his short time on the field this season. Brandon Leon is ahead of him and if you watch him, he misses blocks. So, I can deduce that missing blocks is not the issue. I can also deduce that ball safety is not the issue. I just take what the head ball coach said and the pill is easy to swallow. It's that simple. But, you can go on about Chief this and that. It's your prerogative. Enjoy the season.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

chiefzona wrote:

Sure I am. From what was said out of camp to when I saw him....then his short time on the field this season. Brandon Leon is ahead of him and if you watch him, he misses blocks. So, I can deduce that missing blocks is not the issue. I can also deduce that ball safety is not the issue. I just take what the head ball coach said and the pill is easy to swallow. It's that simple. But, you can go on about Chief this and that. It's your prerogative. Enjoy the season.
Chief a lot of things get said in camp and you saw him in garbage minutes. I'm not positive and I honestly didn't check but I'm thinking he didn't carry the ball in our two losses. Those were close games that we were in til pretty much the bitter end. Since you don't see him in practice and from seeing him in garbage minutes you're making the grand assumption he's ready to play? To me its just more trolling on your part, looking for something negative to hang RR with. You can make up any pill you want and swallow it and you obviously do. LOL But that's why you're so entertaining to me. I'm going to make a different pill and swallow it. I think Tilford told RR he didn't want to redshirt even if he couldn't play a lot at RB. RR on the other hand thought well heck, why not, this kid isn't ready to start at RB yet but he's going to be so good he'll never stay four years anyway so I'll put him on special teams this year and let him play. That's my pill and it makes as much sense as yours. LOL
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Chief a lot of things get said in camp and you saw him in garbage minutes. I'm not positive and I honestly didn't check but I'm thinking he didn't carry the ball in our two losses. Those were close games that we were in til pretty much the bitter end. Since you don't see him in practice and from seeing him in garbage minutes you're making the grand assumption he's ready to play? To me its just more trolling on your part, looking for something negative to hang RR with. You can make up any pill you want and swallow it and you obviously do. LOL But that's why you're so entertaining to me. I'm going to make a different pill and swallow it. I think Tilford told RR he didn't want to redshirt even if he couldn't play a lot at RB. RR on the other hand thought well heck, why not, this kid isn't ready to start at RB yet but he's going to be so good he'll never stay four years anyway so I'll put him on special teams this year and let him play. That's my pill and it makes as much sense as yours. LOL

This isn’t a negative on RR. He said he is below Leon on the depth chart and that Tilford isn’t ready. He said he’s gonna be a good one though. There you have it. We all wanted Tate over Dawkins and eventually we all got it. Those in Tilford’s camp will one day get to see him start and or play. Everything in life and in football is cyclical. Patience is the key. It’s RR’s team. Tilford will play at RB when RR sees fit. The trolling statement is funny. It’s a statement that requires zero thinking. A fire and forget statement if you will. Enjoy the season.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Tilford will have a great career here, we all have to be patient. It's a big change from HS to D1, I'd rather see slower development than throwing him in when he's not quite ready. I'm hopeful that we see more of him this season, because he's a great talent. Time will tell.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Most coaches do reward kids who have been in there program and have been invested. Not unusual. Tilford will have his time. Good coaches put kids in position to succeed to build confidence. The last thing Tilford would need would be to miss an assignment on a blitz or heaven forbid, get stripped. He would lose some confidence. Sometimes the best need to be brought along slowly
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I think it has to do much more with being able to effectively block for Tate than his ability as a runner.