Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Post by PHXCATS »

zonagrad wrote:I honestly think all the promotion and entertainment is done to the detriment of the overall product. I can't stand to go to Chase Field for a game solely because of the atmosphere. Part of the attraction of being at a baseball game is pace, the conversation in the seats, and the strategy on the field. Nowadays, it's all about music and video entertainment between pitches. It's awful. Having been to more than a 100 major league games, I no longer go. The last pure place was Wrigley Field. But even they caved to a huge video board and have diminished the atmosphere in an attempt to "improve the atmosphere." Going to chase is like going to the food court at the mall where a baseball game also happens to be taking place.

The same can be said for football. The attraction of college football is the mix in the crowd of a huge student section and supportive alumni and community. Mix in the marching band and that's all the ingredients you want or need for a festive atmosphere. We don't need to be entertained between every whistle. Everything doesn't need to be choreographed and blasted on video boards and loudspeakers. Give me a solid product on the field, eliminate the long TV timeouts, and start the games at a decent hour. That's all I ask. I don't need a public address announcer yelling at me how to cheer and when to stand. I don't think I'm alone in this way of thinking.
Not a fan at all of the PA or the flex and dance cams but that would never get me not to go too game, but from articles and other comments I guess it really is that bad for people.

As the chart showed that I posted, the pac12 has no right to demand better kick offs until more fans show up and more fans watch, so have to get that idea out of our heads unless we move to nbcsn or CBSsn
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Having the PAC 12 championship at 5pm on a Friday in the Bay Area is a stupid idea of planning in epic proportions.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

But I guess we play the games for TV now.

Taking the WC 2022 approach.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Having the PAC 12 championship at 5pm on a Friday in the Bay Area is a stupid idea of planning in epic proportions.
The quicker that new Las Vegas stadium is built the better.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:Having the PAC 12 championship at 5pm on a Friday in the Bay Area is a stupid idea of planning in epic proportions.
I was thinking of driving up, but would rather drive up for a weekend afternoon game and drive home afterwards.

San Jose is in the top 10 for worst traffic for commuting. I imagine Tucson residents (esp my age) would rather afternoon games in Phoenix so be able to drive home at a reasonable hour. Otherwise you are spending several hundred dollars more on meals and a hotel.

The one Cal Poly game I went to this year was televised, and sitting in the stands during the TV timeouts was pretty annoying. There isn't much action in football to begin with.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:Gotta agree with 'Hater here. My employer (Cal Poly SLO) has made the smoking areas smaller and smaller each successive year, and finally this year banned smoking from every place on campus.

However, they did finally allow alcohol sales in the stadium!

There are large regional differences in smoking rates, with Kentucky, West Virginia, Oklahoma and Mississippi topping the list, and Idaho, California and Utah at significantly lower rates

“The percentage of U.S. adults who smoke cigarettes declined from 20.9 percent in 2005 to 16.8 percent in 2014. Cigarette smoking was significantly lower in 2014 (16.8 percent) than in 2013 (17.8 percent).”

A lot of those people that smoked switched to vaping and UofA doesn't allow that either.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Hater I believe I asked you a very far set of questions? Care to answer them? Or would you rather just be a childish hypocrite and attack everyone you don't agree with and get upset when others give it back to you?

Would be great to hear opinions of everyone why they don't go to games so that these can be brought to Dave Heeke for something to possibly be done.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

PHXCATS wrote:
As the chart showed that I posted, the pac12 has no right to demand better kick offs until more fans show up and more fans watch, so have to get that idea out of our heads unless we move to nbcsn or CBSsn

But the late kickoffs and long games caused by commercials and replay are causing fans not to show up and even watch on TV to some extent. Catch-22
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote: A lot of those people that smoked switched to vaping and UofA doesn't allow that either.
Same at Cal Poly, no smoking devices at all.

SLO was one of the first cities if not the first to ban smoking in bars.

I'm sure you remember going to the Wildcat House when you came home you would have to throw your clothes in a pile on the floor due to the cigarette smoke embedded in them.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UAEebs86 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

But the late kickoffs and long games caused by commercials and replay are causing fans not to show up and even watch on TV to some extent. Catch-22
I totally get that 100%.

There are not a lot of easy solutions if there are any at all. It would be a long time and take a lot of money out of the pockets of all PAC12 schools which will 99% not happen but leaving ESPN might be the only doable option out there for better kickoff times.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Merkin wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote: A lot of those people that smoked switched to vaping and UofA doesn't allow that either.
Same at Cal Poly, no smoking devices at all.

SLO was one of the first cities if not the first to ban smoking in bars.

I'm sure you remember going to the Wildcat House when you came home you would have to throw your clothes in a pile on the floor due to the cigarette smoke embedded in them.
The Buff was the worst for smoke.
jimson

Post by jimson »

ASUHATER! wrote:Give it a rest. There's no reason to cater to smokers in 2017. None
I don't know if you count yourself among those who think having to go 4 hours without a beer is keeping people away, and I realize that "second classing" smokers is the "thing" these days. It's certainly reasonable to ban smoking in enclosed indoor areas, but tobacco is still a legal product and around 15- 20% of the potential fan base uses it.

We are failing miserably at competing with whatever else people are doing for entertainment on Saturday nights, and we have the longest possible entertainment event, so I guess it's a brilliant business decision to be the ONLY one in which no one can step outside for a smoke. :roll:
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well the UofA should exclude people, They are in such a strong position to do so LOL. No reason to have the handicapped, we could add a few more seats. No reason to offer discounts to the military, they are from other parts of the country and don't root for us. Just a silly argument to exclude anyone from games when we can't sell it out
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

jimson wrote:Need to restore the game day shuttle at any cost. I'll guarantee we lost a lot of older fans because who don't like to drive at night and for sure don't want to walk from the 6th St garage and they are the one's with disposable income.
Completely forgot about that, that would definitely help. They should partner with Uber/Lyft, close down 6th by the Stadium and email out a YouTube tutorial on how to book a ride :lol:
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Still waiting on asuhater to give me his ideas to help and the reason why he does not go to more games.

Don't think I should hold my breath. He has a history of never answering questions when asked of him. Attack and Attack but offer no ideas, value or suggestions to address the issues.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

btfd16 wrote:How do we solve older people complaining about noise/hip hop/EDM when that's what the younger generation wants?
We don't and should not. The primary target population for football games is middle-aged white males......not young hip-hoppers who can't even stay past half time. The average UA season ticket holder didn't grow up in a ghetto and has no desire to hear such music blaring over the loud speakers. The UA needs to drop the hip-hop crap and instead show something more useful on the video board...........like game statistics and other PAC12 scores/top 20 scores.

Allowing a small area for smokers isn't going to hurt either.......it does chase away a segment of the fan base (I personally don't smoke)

Beer sales would no doubt help as well.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

dmjcat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:How do we solve older people complaining about noise/hip hop/EDM when that's what the younger generation wants?
We don't and should not. The primary target population for football games is middle-aged white males......not young hip-hoppers who can't even stay past half time. The average UA season ticket holder didn't grow up in a ghetto and has no desire to hear such music blaring over the loud speakers. The UA needs to drop the hip-hop crap and instead show something more useful on the video board...........like game statistics and other PAC12 scores/top 20 scores.

Allowing a small area for smokers isn't going to hurt either.......it does chase away a segment of the fan base (I personally don't smoke)

I don't mind saying we should drop the hip hop but equating it to growing up in the ghetto is just plain stupid.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

btfd16 wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

I don't mind saying we should drop the hip hop but equating it to growing up in the ghetto is just plain stupid.
I'd go so far as to call it racist myself.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It's actually pretty darn racist. And the term "young hip hoppers" sounds so cringey and bad.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Been debating whether to post this experience from Saturday because I'm sure I'll be labeled a 'get off my lawner'. But what the hell:

Me and a buddy took the Cat Cruiser down from Phx Saturday. We ended up walking up to the stadium about 2 minutes before kickoff. Our seats that we bought were in a part of the stadium neither one of us had ever sat in, over in the SE corner. We didn't really know what gate to enter so we just walked in on the lower east side gate behind the student section. My buddy recently had back surgery and this was his first action back out in the real world, and was moving very slow and gingerly. There was a huge area of empty seats in the student section at about the 10 yard line. He asked me if I minded just grabbing a couple of seats in that empty section so that he wouldn't have to walk up all the steps over in our section, so we posted up there in the student section in the empty bleachers.

A couple minutes later that section started filling up quick, with dozens and dozens of late arriving students.....and we were suddenly wedged in like sardines between hundreds of 19 year olds. We are 39, and man did we feel old. It was a very funny and interesting dynamic to watch for 10 minutes or so....until we bailed and moved on to our actual seats. I don't even know how to describe what we saw and heard. The smell of weed was thick in the air. Guys and girls who best I could tell were nothing more than buddies, were greeting each other with kisses. The ass grabbing, selfies and phone nonsense was rampant. Non-stop bro hugging, 'wazzup mother fuckerrrrrrr' to each and every person they knew.

But here's the thing, and then I'll get to my point. None of this bothered me, it was actually quite entertaining. Hell I was hammered myself, and God knows when I was a student down there 20 years ago....my BAC was always well over the limit as well. The one difference between me when I was a student, and all the one's that I was surrounded by for 15 minutes last Saturday.....is that I always WATCHED the game, and cared about the game. What I realized was that all the loud blaring music on the videoboard, stupid contests at timeouts, the diminished role of the marching band at the stadium......does NOTHING to enhance the game experience for the STUDENTS. They literally are not paying attention to anything other than themselves. So I came to the conclusion that we probably would be better served to cater the experience more towards the old guard. Because I honestly don't believe it would turn off the students (and thus wouldn't negatively impact student attendance).....because the vast majority of them are not paying attention to any of that shit anyways.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

HaCats wrote:Been debating whether to post this experience from Saturday because I'm sure I'll be labeled a 'get off my lawner'. But what the hell:

Me and a buddy took the Cat Cruiser down from Phx Saturday. We ended up walking up to the stadium about 2 minutes before kickoff. Our seats that we bought were in a part of the stadium neither one of us had ever sat in, over in the SE corner. We didn't really know what gate to enter so we just walked in on the lower east side gate behind the student section. My buddy recently had back surgery and this was his first action back out in the real world, and was moving very slow and gingerly. There was a huge area of empty seats in the student section at about the 10 yard line. He asked me if I minded just grabbing a couple of seats in that empty section so that he wouldn't have to walk up all the steps over in our section, so we posted up there in the student section in the empty bleachers.

A couple minutes later that section started filling up quick, with dozens and dozens of late arriving students.....and we were suddenly wedged in like sardines between hundreds of 19 year olds. We are 39, and man did we feel old. It was a very funny and interesting dynamic to watch for 10 minutes or so....until we bailed and moved on to our actual seats. I don't even know how to describe what we saw and heard. The smell of weed was thick in the air. Guys and girls who best I could tell were nothing more than buddies, were greeting each other with kisses. The ass grabbing, selfies and phone nonsense was rampant. Non-stop bro hugging, 'wazzup mother fuckerrrrrrr' to each and every person they knew.

But here's the thing, and then I'll get to my point. None of this bothered me, it was actually quite entertaining. Hell I was hammered myself, and God knows when I was a student down there 20 years ago....my BAC was always well over the limit as well. The one difference between me when I was a student, and all the one's that I was surrounded by for 15 minutes last Saturday.....is that I always WATCHED the game, and cared about the game. What I realized was that all the loud blaring music on the videoboard, stupid contests at timeouts, the diminished role of the marching band at the stadium......does NOTHING to enhance the game experience for the STUDENTS. They literally are not paying attention to anything other than themselves. So I came to the conclusion that we probably would be better served to cater the experience more towards the old guard. Because I honestly don't believe it would turn off the students (and thus wouldn't negatively impact student attendance).....because the vast majority of them are not paying attention to any of that shit anyways.
I would completely agree with this and I graduated in 2016. I worked for the team so I wasn't ever in the Zona Zoo, but from what I heard from friends and when they left, no one cares.

Now in the SEC, even if you are a shitty team, it is completely different. Everyone is engaged. Went to a wedding in Nashville for my high school buddy and even the bridesmaids were worried asking about scores when they could. I fell in love. Wish Arizona was like that.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

still waiting hater
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I do agree with Hacats post. Even when I was a student between the 2004 and 2007 seasons there were no smart phones and no selfies and no Twitter and no Instagram and no Snapchat so kids all would actually watch the game when they were there. this dynamic that you saw the game is something that's only sprung up in the last 6-8 years.

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

jimson wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Give it a rest. There's no reason to cater to smokers in 2017. None
I don't know if you count yourself among those who think having to go 4 hours without a beer is keeping people away, and I realize that "second classing" smokers is the "thing" these days. It's certainly reasonable to ban smoking in enclosed indoor areas, but tobacco is still a legal product and around 15- 20% of the potential fan base uses it.

We are failing miserably at competing with whatever else people are doing for entertainment on Saturday nights, and we have the longest possible entertainment event, so I guess it's a brilliant business decision to be the ONLY one in which no one can step outside for a smoke. :roll:
The entire campus is smoke free. Has been for a while.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Hasn't it been smoke free for like 5-10 years?

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

wyo-cat wrote:
jimson wrote:

Maybe if there was an unspoken rule where cops and UA let it go in a small area, then that may get some more butts (pun intended) in the seats.

I do appreciate Jimson at least throwing ideas out there and letting us know where he is coming from and what he thinks will help, unlike.........
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:
jimson wrote:

Maybe if there was an unspoken rule where cops and UA let it go in a small area, then that may get some more butts (pun intended) in the seats.

I do appreciate Jimson at least throwing ideas out there and letting us know where he is coming from and what he thinks will help, unlike.........
.... machina?

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alright I am done with you. You rather be a child and contribute absolutely nothing and just crap on everyone else than contribute to actual good productive conversation. I asked you many times to give your ideas on how to increase attendance and the reason why you do not go to more games and you have done neither and just acted like a child. Time to grow up guy. You have a lot of growing up to do.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:Alright I am done with you. You rather be a child and contribute absolutely nothing and just crap on everyone else than contribute to actual good productive conversation. I asked you many times to give your ideas on how to increase attendance and the reason why you do not go to more games and you have done neither and just acted like a child. Time to grow up guy. You have a lot of growing up to do.
Lol. You really have to evaluate yourself first before saying all that. Your pretentious holier than thou act is so tiring.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Oh and here's all the attendance solutions you need since you're whining for me to apparently solve the problem all by myself.

1.have a team that wins
2.sell alcohol
3.win
4.win

That's it. In this modern era there's almost nothing any program can do to increase attendance all the time or make it how was in the past

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Saw that tOSU actually cut season ticket prices. They of course don't need help with attendance averaging way over 100K per game.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Saw that tOSU actually cut season ticket prices. They of course don't need help with attendance averaging way over 100K per game.
Now that they make millions off beer and wine sales they can do it. Would be nice to see U of A keep prices even for a few years once beer and wine come in next year or in 2019.
jimson

Post by jimson »

ASUHATER! wrote:Oh and here's all the attendance solutions you need since you're whining for me to apparently solve the problem all by myself.

1.have a team that wins
2.sell alcohol
3.win
4.win

That's it. In this modern era there's almost nothing any program can do to increase attendance all the time or make it how was in the past
There's no reason to cater to drunks who can't abstain for 4 hours.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

jimson wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Oh and here's all the attendance solutions you need since you're whining for me to apparently solve the problem all by myself.

1.have a team that wins
2.sell alcohol
3.win
4.win

I know you're making a point about smoking but 80% of the stadium is drinking and starting to get hungover is quite a bit more than those smoking.

I can tell you it would make a lot more 21+/fake ID students stay in the Zona Zoo.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

From Hansen:
Over the next few years, Heeke plans to remake Arizona Stadium and improve fan amenities and perhaps chop 5,000 seats from capacity. That would improve intimacy and eliminate a lot of embarrassing empty seats, but that’s only half of the issue.
Is that really the plan? East upper section? How do you feasibly remove that many seats and is that really a solution? Pay for less to look better? I imagine the south end zone will be expanded too
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Jefe wrote:From Hansen:
Over the next few years, Heeke plans to remake Arizona Stadium and improve fan amenities and perhaps chop 5,000 seats from capacity. That would improve intimacy and eliminate a lot of embarrassing empty seats, but that’s only half of the issue.
Is that really the plan? East upper section? How do you feasibly remove that many seats and is that really a solution? Pay for less to look better? I imagine the south end zone will be expanded too

Number of seats goes down when you replace bleacher seats with individual seats with backs.
-JB
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

The fact is kids more and more do not follow team sports. For better or worse...they are too busy playing, or doing their own things, and they don't spend their weekends charting scores.

It's a huge change in culture, and it is very real. Unless you go to Chandler, the football team is a joke. It isn't the central point of social status anymore...it is somewhere far below that. There is more individuality, for better (I think) or worse. Remember when we were young? The kind of music you listened to by and large determined your social set, or the sports you played. Jocks, Stoners, Metalheads (lots of crossover to stoners) Mods, Punks, Skaters (lots of crossover with punks)...that was your identity.

Today, kids are not just more fluid with their sexuality. They experience. They do a little of everything, or, if they choose to play a sport, it becomes all encompassing. Your life revolves around that single sport and it is discouraged to even think about doing something other than training 12 months for this sport. So it is one extreme (not really interested in sitting around watching football when they could be doing real stuff) or the other (not a second of time, too busy with sports/activities). They are just different.

And I can tell you teenagers today look at football, in large numbers, like a dumb fuckin' thing to play. And THAT is what is going to kill this sport. The game is slow and boring and violent...and it just doesn't move 'em.

We can tut tut and harrumph all we want, but they just don't care about this sport that plays 20 minutes of play every 3 hours or whatever. They are more well-rounded than we could have dreamt of being, the technology in their hands is just that and it isn't the problem, just a tool, and they, in large numbers, think football is stupid and going and parking and sitting in a stadium to watch it is even dumber when the girl he likes just chatted him up and she is at a party on 10th and Vine. He is leaving. Period.

Until we realize the actual issue, we are going to spin in circles trying to fix it. This is the problem coming to us, already with us (in the student section) and ignoring us after graduation (the recent grads). The game of football isn't all that big a deal to them. And they aren't going to go through all that shit unless they are going to get an amazing experience. I am hooked...but I don't blame them.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

My kids as an example...

10th grader #1: girl who plays softball and basketball, and not all that interested in U of A football. She goes to the HS JV and V games when her schedule allows. I couldn’t drag this one to a U of A football game.

10th grader #2: boy who plays football and baseball, huge U of A fan of all sports. He’s friends with one of the coach’s kid and goes to most home games with his buddies and it’s a sleepover. Huge U of A football fan.

8th grader: girl who plays softball and basketball. Huge U of A football fan. She used to play the Scooby Snack song she made up on her drums after every great play he made. Her current favorite player is JJ. She loves going to games and has been to several this year. Her and her friends run around trying to get on the Jumbotron- it’s cute.

So I have 2/3 kids that are dyed in the wool U of A football fans and one not so much.
jimson

Post by jimson »

btfd16 wrote:
jimson wrote:

1.have a team that wins
2.sell alcohol
3.win
4.win

I know you're making a point about smoking but 80% of the stadium is drinking and starting to get hungover is quite a bit more than those smoking.

I can tell you it would make a lot more 21+/fake ID students stay in the Zona Zoo.
I'm for it really. Of course when people start drinking they will want to smoke even more.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

wyo-cat wrote:My kids as an example...

10th grader #1: girl who plays softball and basketball, and not all that interested in U of A football. She goes to the HS JV and V games when her schedule allows. I couldn’t drag this one to a U of A football game.

10th grader #2: boy who plays football and baseball, huge U of A fan of all sports. He’s friends with one of the coach’s kid and goes to most home games with his buddies and it’s a sleepover. Huge U of A football fan.

8th grader: girl who plays softball and basketball. Huge U of A football fan. She used to play the Scooby Snack song she made up on her drums after every great play he made. Her current favorite player is JJ. She loves going to games and has been to several this year. Her and her friends run around trying to get on the Jumbotron- it’s cute.

So I have 2/3 kids that are dyed in the wool U of A football fans and one not so much.
Have you considered putting that 1 kid up for adoption?

Actually I have 2 boys.... 7th grader and 5th grader. The 5th grader wants to go to as many basketball / football games as possible. The 7th grader has zero interest in going to any sporting event. (Except hockey.... he loves watching hockey)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EVCat wrote:The fact is kids more and more do not follow team sports.
I was just talking to another middle aged person today about that earlier today.

When I was a kid, I was the biggest Detroit Tigers fan ever. Used to listen to them every night on the radio in my bedroom on my old tube radio, since back then very few games were televised. Still can name the starting lineup of the 68 Tigers, with Mickey Stanley moving from center field to shortstop for the series, with Mickey Lolich being the star to beat Bob Gibson, instead of Denny McClain.

Now I can't name a single player in MLB. Actually watching game 7 now, for the first baseball game I have seen in years, probably decades at my house.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Neither of my two boys could give a rats ass about sports.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Uncomfortable seats, awful bathroom, cruddy concessions with long lines...plus a historically middling program. I love UA sports, bball and fball most specifically. I get stoked for the games, obsess over stats and minutia, and live and die with the wins and losses. I catch almost every game on tv/stream. In years past I'd hit 3-4 homes games. I really can't explain it, but this will likely be my 1st season since the mid 80s where I won't go to a game. I can't wait for the games to come on TV and I'll plan my day around it, I just can't get motivated to go to the stadium this year.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Merkin wrote:
I was just talking to another middle aged person today about that earlier today.

When I was a kid, I was the biggest Detroit Tigers fan ever. Used to listen to them every night on the radio in my bedroom on my old tube radio, since back then very few games were televised. Still can name the starting lineup of the 68 Tigers, with Mickey Stanley moving from center field to shortstop for the series, with Mickey Lolich being the star to beat Bob Gibson, instead of Denny McClain.

Now I can't name a single player in MLB. Actually watching game 7 now, for the first baseball game I have seen in years, probably decades at my house.
Haha Merk, I was and am a cardinal fan and I can name their line up. Just the way it was I guess.

Gibson
McCarver
Cepeda
Javier
Shannon
Maxville
Brock
Flood
Maris
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
jimson

Post by jimson »

At least 2 letters to the editor in the Star today mentioning the loss of the game day shuttle as reason why they are skipping games.
I'll bet it is a pretty significant number.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Would be interesting if they got creative with that east side upper deck. They'll for sure put in all seats, but man are those gonna bake up there in the Tucson sun 330 days a year. Imagine there is some limited solution for that beyond tough ass chairs. But perhaps dedicate a chunk of the upper deck as like a fun party area, maybe like a beach chair area, premium area. Kinda like an outdoor suite like on the other side and north end zone, but reserved for some students too and make it like a cool club area up there, maybe create some flat surfaces to walk out on, etc. Another club in the stadium, a unique upper deck club. Maybe serve beer and wine in parts. The view from up there is incredible. It's mostly embarrassingly empty most games anyway.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

The loss of the shuttle is due to some stupid state procurement rule that requires the university to put the shuttle service out for bid or something..I'm sure there is someone who can enlighten us but for the life of me and I can't remember why that threw a monkey wrench into the deal.

For the last 8 years, my son(now 13) and I drive down to Tucson, hit Guero Canelo, tailgate a bit, watch the game and head back to Phoenix at night...it is time suck and a total bitch, I get why folks won't do it, but it is also a labor of love. The Iowa win, the Oregon upset, the Hill Mary, winning P12 south, and now watching the The Big Cat make history...it has all been worth it. Reading some of the complaints here totally explains the root cause of this problem.....people are too effin' spoiled. They won't go if they can't drink, they won't go if they can't smoke, they won't go cause the bathrooms smell like piss, they won't go cause they don't wan't to hear loud noises..at a football game, they won't go cause it is not like the "good 'ol days," not enough band, bad wifi, the Arizona football team doesn't win...enough, we can't facesnap, they wont go cause the bench seats aren't comfortable...good lord what a bunch of whiners. Suck it up buttercup. There is not any possible way everyone's little complaints can be addressed to fill the stadium because things are too easy for folks these days. We need a world war or something to toughen folks up again.

I am 44 and now sound I sound like I am 80...thanks ya'll.

See you at the Oregon State game and Beardown...pinches cabrones.
jimson

Post by jimson »

UALoco wrote:The loss of the shuttle is due to some stupid state procurement rule that requires the university to put the shuttle service out for bid or something..I'm sure there is someone who can enlighten us but for the life of me and I can't remember why that threw a monkey wrench into the deal.

For the last 8 years, my son(now 13) and I drive down to Tucson, hit Guero Canelo, tailgate a bit, watch the game and head back to Phoenix at night...it is time suck and a total bitch, I get why folks won't do it, but it is also a labor of love. The Iowa win, the Oregon upset, the Hill Mary, winning P12 south, and now watching the The Big Cat make history...it has all been worth it. Reading some of the complaints here totally explains the root cause of this problem.....people are too effin' spoiled. They won't go if they can't drink, they won't go if they can't smoke, they won't go cause the bathrooms smell like piss, they won't go cause they don't wan't to hear loud noises..at a football game, they won't go cause it is not like the "good 'ol days," not enough band, bad wifi, the Arizona football team doesn't win...enough, we can't facesnap, they wont go cause the bench seats aren't comfortable...good lord what a bunch of whiners. Suck it up buttercup. There is not any possible way everyone's little complaints can be addressed to fill the stadium because things are too easy for folks these days. We need a world war or something to toughen folks up again.

I am 44 and now sound I sound like I am 80...thanks ya'll.

See you at the Oregon State game and Beardown...pinches cabrones.
From what Greg Byrne explained to me once was that SunTran was only allowed to provide that service if no one wanted to bid on it regardless of whether the company was capable of actually providing the service and regardless of the cost.

"Suck it up buttercup" is in no way a solution to the problem. We already have the hardcore fans who are willing to support the team regardless.

The only one's left to draw from are those who are going out to the movies, bars, or dinner instead.

i suppose we could keep on with the strategy of trying to shame Tucson into supporting the Wildcats. It's bound to work eventually LOL

If you haven't read these letters to the editor , tell me they don't have a point.

"Your sportswriters have taken to berating your readers over not attending UA football games in greater numbers. I used to attend several games every season when I could park my car at Park Mall or Hi Corbett Field and take a shuttle bus filled with cheerful fans to the stadium. You'd have to pay me to brave the lousy parking on campus for an 8:00 pm game.

I bet your sportswriters all have really good parking spaces, so they can't sympathize with the average fan. If the UA wants more fans at the game, they should make it easier to attend by bringing back the shuttle buses. Customer service, what a concept!

John Vornholt

1) What happened to the shuttles from Hi-Corbett Field, Tucson Mall and Marana? Driving to the games and parking is a nightmare, especially for night games. BRING BACK THE SHUTTLES!!!

2) The noise level and music selection at the games is terrible. I'm nearly deaf but my wife complained about this. How about mixing up the songs a little to appeal to a broader audience. Ever hear of Sweet Caroline, Shout, YMCA or We Will Rock You? If the youngsters want to listen to something else, I'm sure they have their cell phone and ear buds handy.

3) The non-conference schedule sucks. Open the season against a Power-5 conference team and get the fans excited early in the season. WE WANT BAMA! Or at least Nebraska or Texas A&M.

4) Ticket prices are a bargain compared to other Power-5 conference schools. Fill the cheap seats (East Upper Deck and South End Zone) with free tickets for military and community service workers.
Don Mills
"

i don't really agree with #4. Might be a bargain somewhere else but not so much in a minimum wage town.

Is the U doing us all a favor by allowing us to spend our hard earned money on their football games or something?

I've said it before, College sports is a remarkable business. Who else has the balls to expect brand loyalty regardless of product quality?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Anybody who says we want Bama never saw the LSU game.

Willie T. does not approve.
-JB