Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

btfd16

Re: Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Post by btfd16 »

azgreg wrote:
EVCat wrote:The fact is kids more and more do not follow team sports.
Neither of my two boys could give a rats ass about sports.
Not equating this to your kids or parenting, but I feel like a lot of it has to do with technology. I was born in 93 and even when I was growing up, going outside to play was the greatest thing in the world. My favorite toy was my blue and orange little tykes basketball hoop we would put in the cul-de-sac and dunk on. My parents didn't allow video games, but even the kids who had them played sports games for the most part. Maybe it's kids now having a lot more options. Don't know the answer, just a thought.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:My kids as an example...

10th grader #1: girl who plays softball and basketball, and not all that interested in U of A football. She goes to the HS JV and V games when her schedule allows. I couldn’t drag this one to a U of A football game.

10th grader #2: boy who plays football and baseball, huge U of A fan of all sports. He’s friends with one of the coach’s kid and goes to most home games with his buddies and it’s a sleepover. Huge U of A football fan.

8th grader: girl who plays softball and basketball. Huge U of A football fan. She used to play the Scooby Snack song she made up on her drums after every great play he made. Her current favorite player is JJ. She loves going to games and has been to several this year. Her and her friends run around trying to get on the Jumbotron- it’s cute.

So I have 2/3 kids that are dyed in the wool U of A football fans and one not so much.
Have you considered putting that 1 kid up for adoption?

Actually I have 2 boys.... 7th grader and 5th grader. The 5th grader wants to go to as many basketball / football games as possible. The 7th grader has zero interest in going to any sporting event. (Except hockey.... he loves watching hockey)
I feel like you at least need to demand a paternity test for #1.

Kidding. I will add that I think for the younger generation, live sports can take a back seat to technology. Even younger sports fans have an easier time with TV, phone, etc because that's been more widely available. You didn't used to be able to DVR and watch at your convenience.

If I'd grown up with DVR and the internet, I robably wouldn't have developed the sports interest I have. That's one challenge going forward. Thankfully Larry Scott is proactively addressing the issue by making Arizona games virtually inacessible on TV or internet.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

btfd16 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Not equating this to your kids or parenting, but I feel like a lot of it has to do with technology. I was born in 93 and even when I was growing up, going outside to play was the greatest thing in the world. My favorite toy was my blue and orange little tykes basketball hoop we would put in the cul-de-sac and dunk on. My parents didn't allow video games, but even the kids who had them played sports games for the most part. Maybe it's kids now having a lot more options. Don't know the answer, just a thought.
Even you're a youngin that was spoiled growing up with technology compared to people even 5-10 years older.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

We have to drive to Tucson and spend the night. We'd be interested in an affordable hotel, shuttle, tickets package. The shuttle would need to go several times before the game. We like to get there early, have lunch or dinner, hang around the mall, and go to the game.

We ALWAYS have a great time! Just hard trying to check out the coeds without my wife knowing how much I'm ogling them.

I cannot understand why more Tucsonians don't get season tickets. Most years, the U of A has a great product.

Hope the powers that be read this and consider the package.

Huge game this weekend! Let's get it done!!
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If I still lived in Tucson, I would definitely not get season tickets, due to the great unknown of starting times. I don't like watching 8pm games even from home.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Even you're a youngin that was spoiled growing up with technology compared to people even 5-10 years older.
I don't disagree. My parents were pretty conservative with technology compared to how it is today. I have never owned a video game system to this day, didn't get a cell phone until HS and these kids have them in like 3rd grade. I had no choice but to like sports. Pops went to Wazzu so I went to games in Pullman, whenever they came to LA, and the 03 Rose Bowl. My first college game in Pullman they rushed the field and I realized how much I loved college sports. I was like 7 and the whole family rushed too.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Anybody who says we want Bama never saw the LSU game.

Willie T. does not approve.
Yes.

Look at Stoops' final season. We played 3 straight top 10 teams and a 4th in USC that was only not ranked in the top 5 because of probation.

We play 9 conference games. Until the other major conferences match that, we are playing one high level game already that they aren't. It is a lot easier to play that P5 team OOC when you have 4 OOC games to play with.

I am not saying don't play anyone...we are upgrading. BYU is typically good, Houston was very good when we scheduled, and we are starting to play P5 in the near future. But when we play 9 conference games and some play 7 or 8, it is murder for us to schedule 10 games against equal level competition, or 11. If we want to be competitive. I mean, look how many fans throw out "7-5 sucks" or "8-4 is easy in today's game" or "bowl eligibility means nothing" and they are comparing it nationally. It is suicide for a growing or middle level program to schedule big time opponents in one of those three OOC spots when they have to do 4 road games minimum in conference, possibly 5, and 9 total conference games. 7-5 means a helluva lot more in the PAC than in the SEC. You can go 3-5 in conference in the SEC and schedule yourself to 7 wins.

For proper comparison, for our top "Out of Conference" game, we are scheduling a power 5 team...either UW, WSU, Oregon, OSU, Cal, or Stanford (we would play the entire South no matter what). So, if we schedule Oklahoma State, we have scheduled Oregon and Oklahoma State OOC compared to Mississippi State or LSU or TCU or Kansas State. And most of those other conference teams that are at our level certainly don't schedule both a UW and an Iowa OOC. Or a Stanford and a Wisconsin. You cannot compare us to any conference other than the Big 10 when it comes to OOC scheduling from a competitive standpoint. From a fan standpoint, fine, but you also have to win to get fans in the stands. A bit of a catch 22.

Stoops took on 4 straight top 10 teams, lost them all, then lost to Oregon State and was fired mid season. One of them was OOC Oklahoma State. Yes, beating them the next year in Tucson was fun. But it might have cost Stoops his job that year. In 2006, he was too early in his tenure to lose a job, but he lost a QB...we played a good program in BYU, then played at #8 LSU and got Willie T killed, then came home and two weeks later played #3 USC. We were 6-6 that year. In 2005, we played an Urban Meyer Utah team that beat us AND #12 Purdue. Two losses in a 3-8 season. In 2004, we played #17 Utah...the Utah team that went 12-0 and beat Bama in the Sugar Bowl, and #20 Wisconsin. We ALMOST beat Wisconsin. We went 3-8

Those were ridiculous schedules. Yes, we need a better top game, though Houston was expected to be when we scheduled it. But with 9 conference games, it is silly to set up huge games OOC.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

You also look at who Stoops played for the end of 2010. USC, Oregon, Stanford, ASU, Oklahoma State. Then you tack on that 2011 opening slate of NAU, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Stanford, USC and add in that 2011 was the year of The Great ACL Harvest. NAU was the only game they won and they're not even FBS. Stoops played some murderous stretches but that was an insane 10 games.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I doubt Willie T can remember that game.

I'm actually not kidding. I'm pretty certain he was pretty badly concussed after the hit at 15:45.

https://youtu.be/VZ7kW7vnh7M" target="_blank
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I doubt Willie T can remember that game.

I'm actually not kidding. I'm pretty certain he was pretty badly concussed after the hit at 15:45.

https://youtu.be/VZ7kW7vnh7M" target="_blank
Yup. He started calling high school plays in the huddle later in the game and someone in the huddle had to call time out. He played on for a while.

That place was so loud. And it was never really a game. Just about 10 minutes of competitive football. It just rained down on you.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I was there in the upper deck. It sucked
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

carcassdragger wrote:We have to drive to Tucson and spend the night. We'd be interested in an affordable hotel, shuttle, tickets package. The shuttle would need to go several times before the game. We like to get there early, have lunch or dinner, hang around the mall, and go to the game.

We ALWAYS have a great time! Just hard trying to check out the coeds without my wife knowing how much I'm ogling them.

I cannot understand why more Tucsonians don't get season tickets. Most years, the U of A has a great product.

Hope the powers that be read this and consider the package.

Huge game this weekend! Let's get it done!!

Try La Quinta Inn on East Broadway. I think its next to El Con shopping center and El Con used to have shuttles to the game. I'm not sure if they still do.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

"most years the uofa has a great product" huh? at home we have barely posted a 53% winning percentage since the 1998 holiday bowl season.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

jimson wrote:
UALoco wrote:Suck it up buttercup.
"Suck it up buttercup" is in no way a solution to the problem. We already have the hardcore fans who are willing to support the team regardless.

1) What happened to the shuttles from Hi-Corbett Field, Tucson Mall and Marana? Driving to the games and parking is a nightmare, especially for night games. BRING BACK THE SHUTTLES!!!

2) The noise level and music selection at the games is terrible. I'm nearly deaf but my wife complained about this. How about mixing up the songs a little to appeal to a broader audience. Ever hear of Sweet Caroline, Shout, YMCA or We Will Rock You? If the youngsters want to listen to something else, I'm sure they have their cell phone and ear buds handy.

3) The non-conference schedule sucks. Open the season against a Power-5 conference team and get the fans excited early in the season. WE WANT BAMA! Or at least Nebraska or Texas A&M.

4) Ticket prices are a bargain compared to other Power-5 conference schools. Fill the cheap seats (East Upper Deck and South End Zone) with free tickets for military and community service workers.
Don Mills[/i]"

i don't really agree with #4. Might be a bargain somewhere else but not so much in a minimum wage town.

Is the U doing us all a favor by allowing us to spend our hard earned money on their football games or something?

I've said it before, College sports is a remarkable business. Who else has the balls to expect brand loyalty regardless of product quality?
I think my point is being missed...the point is..yes..there are problems with the experience. I don't agree that the AD is not trying to fix things. I was part of a FAN group that worked with them to attempt to improve the experience and they were really trying..I quit the group after I got Bball tickets.

Shuttles: I think this was explained by another poster, there is a goofy rule around procurement that makes it impossible to bid out.
Noise: totally subjective...1/2 folks want the experience to be more entertaining/engaging 1/2 folks want more band..
conference schedule: this cuts both ways, we do have more conference games than the other conferences so the cupcakes evens things out schedule wise, I agree this needs to improve and if you look at future schedules...it gets better.
ticket prices: they are not that expensive, you can get into a game most times for the cost of a starbucks. then you can scoot down if you wanna better look
parking: I park in the 6th st garage and it is easy peasy..

Bottom line is the experience will never be perfect for enough folks in tucson cause there are not enough "hard core" fans willing to go through a bit of hardship to watch 18-22 year olds play this beautiful sport to the best of their ability. In Ann Arbor, Columbus, Tuscaloosa, and about 10 other college towns, the college ball game is an experience because EVERYONE is there. EVERYONE is talking about it. EVERYONE cares. Their AD's don't have the same heavy lift this AD has and they have more budget.

Oh well, at least I can say I was there to see KT do his thing in person. Less people care and I choose to care less about that.

I will advise my son, who is a hard core Arizona fan, to pick one of those schools if he wants that experience. We had it in the 90's watching the Desert Swarm but I have resigned myself to the fact that we won't get it back. He'll still root for Arizona but have the experience I had. Oh, only to be able to storm the field again after upsetting the #1 ranked UW team again. The good ol' days. Beat the Trojans.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Every school is dealing with this stuff. Even Alabama. I've read Alabama message boards with the same posts from their old farts about the students and music and atmosphere that the old farts are posting on here. "There's too much hippy hop, the students leave early/show up late, it's loud, etc...". It definitely isn't an Arizona fanbase problem. It is a watching sports in a stadium instead of at home in 2017 universal problem.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

How can it be possible to bid out when they ran shuttles for 30 years?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

jimson wrote:I've said it before, College sports is a remarkable business. Who else has the balls to expect brand loyalty regardless of product quality?
Well just quickly off the top of my head...
  • Apple
    The Republican Party
    Fox News
Not so remarkable after all.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
jimson

Post by jimson »

This is a waste of time. Too many people seem to think a pro-active solution is for everyone to just stop being pussies LOL
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

jimson wrote:This is a waste of time. Too many people seem to think a pro-active solution is for everyone to just stop being pussies LOL
If you don't think the AD(Athletics Dept) isn't trying everything it can, you aren't looking. Those folks want nothing more in this world than to make you a happy season ticket holder. Do this, call a ticket rep, tell them you are thinking about buying season tickets but need to be convinced, ask them if you can come by, get a tour, look at the options, and tell you what they are doing to improve the experience. I bet they would be very responsive. My point is, regardless of what they try, there will still be too many pussies.

Here is an example, last year if I wanted to transfer electronic tickets to someone, I would have to pay a $4 transfer fee for each transaction. That is now free and super easy.

Last year if I couldn't go to a game, I would have to donate it, sell it, or just miss the game. This year I traded in my NAU tickets (worthless) for Utah tickets (conf game) and didn't have to pay a cent more or a transaction fee. I was able to take the whole family. It was a great time even though we lost.

We make an experience what it needs to be and can't always depend on external factors to make it "special" for you. It is what you put into it. That's all.
jimson

Post by jimson »

I don't need it to be "special" for me. I already attend games.

If attendance drops, the 1st thing you should look at are the things that have changed that have made it less convenient/attractive for some.

There are no longer any TV blackouts, everyone has big screen TV's. What's easy peasy is to order a pizza, crack open a beer and have the best view from your couch.

Instead of responding by making it easier to attend games, it has become less convenient and more restrictive.

There has to be a way to get the shuttles running again.

I believe I read somewhere that the smoke free campus has an exemption for public events.

Won't cost much (if anything) to allow people to go out for a smoke at halftime. Might not make a huge difference, but it might bring some people back or keep them there instead of being anxious to leave to satisfy their nicotine jones. Eliminating the unbearable horror of maybe catching an outdoor whiff of smoke from 100's of feet away hasn't exactly filled the stadium with vehement non-smokers has it?

"Suck it up and deal with it" isn't something you ought to be saying when people aren't buying your product.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azcat49 wrote:How can it be possible to bid out when they ran shuttles for 30 years?
SunTran is federally subsidized. One of the rules with that is that if someone wants to bid to provide services like a shuttle, SunTran is out. They can't even bid, they're out. Someone expressed interest in bidding to provide the shuttle service before the 2014 season, so SunTran had to step aside. The AD said that what they would have to charge to make it work for a private operator was way too high (didn't give figures but I'm sure it would have been a lot more than $3 a head RT.) I'm guessing that the offer to bid is still out there, because the AD would love to have that shuttle back.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Attendance has dropped every year since the shuttle stopped. I'm sure it's more than just that, but it sounds like someone ought to bribe the wannabe provider to withdraw their offer to bid.

I imagine a good number of those who rode the shuttles didnt' and won't coming back without them.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Shuttles seem like a no brainer for a big event. Not everyone wants to park on campus or fight for a spot south of 6th.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

jimson wrote:Attendance has dropped every year since the shuttle stopped. I'm sure it's more than just that, but it sounds like someone ought to bribe the wannabe provider to withdraw their offer to bid.

I imagine a good number of those who rode the shuttles didnt' and won't coming back without them.
Where did the shuttles run from and how often did they run?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Tucson Mall, HiCorbett, Frys, and El Con to the south end of the stadium. 6th was blocked off and 10-15 buses lined up to pick people up after the game: https://uanews.arizona.edu/story/take-s ... uttle-game" target="_blank

They did it for baseball too: http://www.arizonawildcats.com/news/201 ... h=baseball" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azpenguin wrote:
azcat49 wrote:How can it be possible to bid out when they ran shuttles for 30 years?
SunTran is federally subsidized. One of the rules with that is that if someone wants to bid to provide services like a shuttle, SunTran is out. They can't even bid, they're out. Someone expressed interest in bidding to provide the shuttle service before the 2014 season, so SunTran had to step aside. The AD said that what they would have to charge to make it work for a private operator was way too high (didn't give figures but I'm sure it would have been a lot more than $3 a head RT.) I'm guessing that the offer to bid is still out there, because the AD would love to have that shuttle back.
http://tucson.com/news/local/shuttle-ri ... 8ef7f.html" target="_blank
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

There are plenty of parking options or ways to get to campus (uber, cab, bus, trolley, carpool, bicycle, rv, skateboard..who cares). It is just my opinion, but folks are just looking for excuses. Not enough hard core fans. Folks in Alabama drive from all across the state and beyond to see the Tide Roll live.

Alright, we don't have to point the finger and assign blame...but that is just how I roll. I blame the fans. That is my choice. I am sticking to it. I am not affiliated with the AD in any way. Big screen tv's ain't going away, blacking out the games will not be tolerated, fickle teenagers won't suddenly become ardent fans, old folks wont suddenly become tolerant and flexible, Tucson won't turn into Tuscaloosa, smokers won't be welcome(ha ha...jk there), and alcohol sales ain't a silver bullet(even though I vote yes for this). It is our new reality and we are just gonna have to live with it.

Let's imagine they build the newest, state of the art stadium with sections that are uniquely tailored for specific fans, with a huge parking lot and Tucson has super easy to access...folks will still find a reason to not go..game is too slow, team is not in the rose bowl, the AD is in debt to there eyelids and charge excessive fees, the tickets are too expensive...it is a catch 22. They can't win. Not in Tucson, not with this fan base, not with our football pedigree, not with our reality.

Go Cats, Beat the Trojans
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yes they can win.

win more games.

people will come.

the end.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

did not happen last Saturday...will not happen at the OSU game...remains to be seen...El Fin.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

it is just insanity that people keep comparing us to places like alabama or nebraska.

no no no no.

win multiple championships and 110+ games over the next decade and then you can do that. stooooop.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

scumdevils86 wrote:it is just insanity that people keep comparing us to places like alabama or nebraska.

no no no no.

win multiple championships and 110+ games over the next decade and then you can do that. stooooop.
thanks for making my point for me..we don't have that history and never will. Glad you are finally on board
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

UALoco wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:it is just insanity that people keep comparing us to places like alabama or nebraska.

no no no no.

thanks for making my point for me..we don't have that history and never will. Glad you are finally on board
my point is then why keep complaining about attendance? it'll never happen. we'll never get consistent packed houses anymore. so why worry about it? if you wanna go, go. that's a good fan. if you don't want to go and want to only watch at home? fine. you're also a good fan. doesn't matter.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Huh...so in one breathe your advocating for a smoking section (which I agree with even though I think it is a poor health habit) but in another we can't have shuttles because that is catering to bad fans?

In both cases, why would you want to prohibit any potential population/revenue slice from coming to games? Smokers and those who want to take shuttles should equally be welcomed!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yea, weird argument for sure.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

scumdevils86 wrote:
UALoco wrote:

no no no no.

my point is then why keep complaining about attendance? it'll never happen. we'll never get consistent packed houses anymore. so why worry about it? if you wanna go, go. that's a good fan. if you don't want to go and want to only watch at home? fine. you're also a good fan. doesn't matter.
I think we are close to common ground...I am choosing not to care about attendance anymore because I have resigned myself to the fact that it will never happen.

The rub is I still reserve the right to judge folks. Maybe that makes me an asshole. I've been called much worse. Right or wrong, I feel I am a better fan than folks one might call a "fair weather fan" because I contribute more time and resources. Time and resources that are appreciated by the program and one might say "contributes" to the program's success. I would prefer that there were more hard core fans because that would make the experience that much more enjoyable , win or lose...that's just me and totally selfish. It doesn't mean I can't still enjoy the games. And folks who choose to watch from home can choose to ignore folks like me that think that way. No biggie.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Huh...so in one breathe your advocating for a smoking section (which I agree with even though I think it is a poor health habit) but in another we can't have shuttles because that is catering to bad fans?

In both cases, why would you want to prohibit any potential population/revenue slice from coming to games? Smokers and those who want to take shuttles should equally be welcomed!
There's no smoking at any event in AZ anymore due to the Smoke Free Arizona Act from 12-13 years ago. Anywhere people are employed, it's nonsmoking. State law, nothing to do with venue choice.

Being a bit familiar with state procurement rules, my guess is a private coach service make a complaint to the no-bid Sun Tran contract for events in hope they could sweep in and make some money. The shuttle service went out to bid and the private companies came in too high for Athletics to swallow on a per event basis, and that was the end of shuttle service. That's just an educated guess.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks wyo good stuff.
jimson

Post by jimson »

wyo-cat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Huh...so in one breathe your advocating for a smoking section (which I agree with even though I think it is a poor health habit) but in another we can't have shuttles because that is catering to bad fans?

There's no smoking at any event in AZ anymore due to the Smoke Free Arizona Act from 12-13 years ago. Anywhere people are employed, it's nonsmoking. State law, nothing to do with venue choice.

Being a bit familiar with state procurement rules, my guess is a private coach service make a complaint to the no-bid Sun Tran contract for events in hope they could sweep in and make some money. The shuttle service went out to bid and the private companies came in too high for Athletics to swallow on a per event basis, and that was the end of shuttle service. That's just an educated guess.
Not accurate. Smoke Free AZ Act was in 2007 and it applies only to indoor areas. You used to be able to smoke outside the main 6th St entrance, on the ramp or down by the South East entrance. I believe that ended in 2014 or 2015 and it was a University decision. I believe they can still exempt public events if they choose.

Even though they call the campus smoke free, people still smoke in the tailgate areas, parking lots, walking down the street, etc but with the no re-entry policy, now it's nowhere at all for game attendees.

Your'e right about the shuttle. It seems like there should be some creative way around it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

The law states you can't smoke within 20 feet of any entrance, doors, windows or ventilation source of a public place. So that means basically all areas people will be in a public university stadium. Stop smoking and you won't have a problem. Stupid.
jimson

Post by jimson »

scumdevils86 wrote:The law states you can't smoke within 20 feet of any entrance, doors, windows or ventilation source of a public place. So that means basically all areas people will be in a public university stadium. Stop smoking and you won't have a problem. Stupid.
Just waiting for an asshole reply like that. I don't have a problem. I go to games. Years after the law went into effect, there were still areas outside the stadium seating and concession areas where one could smoke, so your point is invalid. Stupid.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

My point is that 80%+ of people don't want to be anywhere near the disgusting people who smoke. Majority has spoken. Take your gross habit elsewhere.
jimson

Post by jimson »

My point is maybe thousands of fans have. If so and you think that's better than having more people in the seats, that's an opinion I won't bother arguing with.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I heard that it was a Phoenix based shuttle company that complained about the Sun Tran shuttle.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote:I heard that it was a Phoenix based shuttle company that complained about the Sun Tran shuttle.
http://tucson.com/news/local/shuttle-ri ... 8ef7f.html" target="_blank

That’s because a private company — Via Trailways out of Tempe — expressed interest in providing shuttle service to the games. At that point a federal law kicked in, forcing Sun Tran, which is funded by the city, Regional Transportation Authority and federal government, to stop offering the service.

A caveat attached to Sun Tran’s federal funding prohibits the bus line from competing with a private service provider
jimson

Post by jimson »

Tempe huh?
Big fucking surprise.
Probably tripled their bid just to intentially shut down the shuttle.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

A shuttle needs to be reinstated.

Start time whining is ridiculous IMO. It is not something we can change. We cannot go without TV, or act independent of the conference. ESPN has a late slot as does Pac12Net. ESPN is not going to put a Big 12 game on kicking at 10pm local time...its going to be the PAC. We require no day games when it is hot but expect our broadcast partners to work with "no day games until we want them"? No...night games are reality in AZ.

Winning helps, but people with families make plans months and years at a time. The absurd "what else is there to do in Tucson?" response is, well, absurd. People plan trips, birthday parties, get invited to activities or gatherings, have family visits or kids games, etc...and when you win, more people make going to games and season tickets part of that plan. So it takes a season...if we keep winning this year, more people will make games a family activity when planning next year. It becomes more of a priority. Most fans aren't diehards.

The Smoking thing is done. It isn't going to roll back. Far more people who don't want it anywhere near them, both for comfort and health reasons. Smokers still smoke on campus, just not in the stadium, legal or no. Non smokers can smell it. The concessions smokers want are amazing to me...you have a non-body function that impacts prople within breathing distance and because you have chosen to use a product that causes your body to hurt itself if you don't do it for 3 hours, you want everyone else to deal? If I am an alcoholic, I can't have alcohol in the stadium. If I enjoy throwing lawn darts, it is legal but I cannot do so on campus. Yeah, tobacco is legal. So are lawn darts. When smokers were allowed on the concourse, it was fucking awful walking through there. You have an addiction, not a leisure activity. Your body requires it...it isn't something you just want to do. That is your choice...but it isn't a required function like eating/drinking/going to the bathroom, and your senses are dull but the rest of ours aren't and we can smell it and it is hazardous to others. Just because we once didn't know that and allowed its use to be legal around kids, in cars, in stadiums, doesn't mean it is reasonable to expect us to deal with it and its impacts now. I know a few smokers who have season tickets. They manage. I knew more...they quit. Because if you cant go without your leisure activity for a football game length without your body turning against itself and causing anxiety and illness, you should maybe consider another leisure activity. But that's your choice...just don't expect the vast and growing majority to be inconvenienced and put in harm's way because your leisure activity causes your body to freak out if you don't do it for 4 hours.

Better facilities, more comfort, listening to fan feedback about wanting more traditional college activities or seatbacks or less stoppages, etc...this will have impact

So a little of all of that and deciding if TV exposure and money is worth more than 5,000 fans...theres your answer, as much as you can impact it. Changing interests, football being less popular with teens, etc, will be uncontrollable
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Spot on EVCat.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Meanwhile the Stanford at Washington St game is airing on the FOX Business Network due to a weather delay in the Michigan St/Penn St game.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAdevil wrote:Spot on EVCat.

He usually is on every subject for that matter.