Arizona Coaching Search

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:Well our Junior QB is very immature.
The 3.4 GPA tweet must have been in response to someone questioning his academics.

The other tweet he deleted was honest, if not a good look. I’m sure our WRs are feeling the same exact way.
I imagine there are many dozen OCs and HCs who are following Tate's tweets very closely.
jimson

Post by jimson »

"Welcome to Arizona Stadium!"

"Tonight's attendance is...PHXCAT"
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Me: Nothing would be worse than Rick Neuheisel

Heeke: Hold my beer
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If you want to send a message, go join the Navy because at least that's not where Ken Niumatalolo is anymore.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

My manager friend sent me screenshot that Khalil is dying laughing at the reaction his tweet got. Said he isn't transferring no matter the coach.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Defending Heeke/Niumatalolo to maintain access is an obvious, if clumsy move.

Let Heeke make his own bed.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

btfd16 wrote:
splitsecond wrote:FYI - They are picking up at Heeke's office if you want to call and tell them how you feel. 520-621-4622
hahahahaha love it
I was so shocked they answered. I don't know how long that will last.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Chicat wrote: Defending Heeke/Niumatalolo to maintain access is an obvious, if clumsy move.

Yeah, but most of the Tucson/UA media is trying to justify this possible hire.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Wow Heeke is an amateur. Hope it works, but it's laughable people trying to defend the tripple offense.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Dumpster Fire. I'm riding with Tate sorry
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If Ken N is the guy I doubt we would run the triple option like at Navy.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

DrWildcat wrote:
Chicat wrote: Defending Heeke/Niumatalolo to maintain access is an obvious, if clumsy move.

I don’t doubt it. No one wants to lose access.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This really isn't all that bad. GT has made multiple BCS bowls with the triple option in the last 10 years. You can win with it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

DrWildcat wrote:

They tried the same shit with the Tim Floyd fiasco. Too many in Tucson media let themselves get cucked by the athletic department because they are scared of losing access. It's pretty pathetic.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Heeke is thinking Gorgonzola when it is clearly brie time baby!
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

azgreg wrote:
Thats fine but that wasn't the game plan and we had so many huge running plays. The triple option is not a big play offense. Its ball control and a slow drive down the field.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

This really isn't all that bad. GT has made multiple BCS bowls with the triple option in the last 10 years. You can win with it.
If you say so, I still remember the mighty OU wishbone being completely snapped by Miami in the Orange bowl many, many years ago.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

azgreg wrote:
Hey, awesome. I’ll check back in a couple of seasons to see if I was wrong. And if I was, I’ll gladly admit it. But I’m not going to invest anything (money, time, interest) until then.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Lots of people who don't know jack shit are seeing a few people pissed and have decided to join the bandwagon. I can promise 90% of the people upset haven't watched a Navy football game nor understand that the Triple Option is not what he will run here.

I've watched Navy a lot because I follow AAC football. They are so well coached it is disgusting. They do all the right things, the play calling, situational awareness, and decision making is absolutely elite. And no it isn't because they run the Triple Option or a disciplined service academy. They are just crazy well coached team.

I wanted Sumlin but it appears he wasn't convinced he could win here despite us coming up with the money. Arizona isn't a desirable job, just face it. Would you want to coach at a place that has no money and half empty stadiums in the second half? Go to games around the country. Arizona football just sucks compared to other stadiums and places you walk into.

I strongly believe the Ken N is by far the best that we could have done.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

UofAlum05 wrote:Lots of people who don't know jack shit are seeing a few people pissed and have decided to join the bandwagon. I can promise 90% of the people upset haven't watched a Navy football game nor understand that the Triple Option is not what he will run here.

I've watched Navy a lot because I follow AAC football. They are so well coached it is disgusting. They do all the right things, the play calling, situational awareness, and decision making is absolutely elite. And no it isn't because they run the Triple Option or a disciplined service academy. They are just crazy well coached team.

I wanted Sumlin but it appears he wasn't convinced he could win here despite us coming up with the money. Arizona isn't a desirable job, just face it. Would you want to coach at a place that has no money and half empty stadiums in the second half? Go to games around the country. Arizona football just sucks compared to other stadiums and places you walk into.

Get lost troll
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

This "possible" hire is awful.

Heeke seems to like hiring guys from service academies. John Bonamego's last college job was an assistant at Army (of course he was also an alum).

I'd take Stoops back over this hire.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

What a shit show. Kenny is a lot like Rich Rod. Gimmicky offense and suspect defenses. Limited recruiting connections in the west. Poor assistant hires. Holy effing Tomey. Abort mission.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ztonyg wrote:This "possible" hire is awful.

Heeke seems to like hiring guys from service academies. John Bonamego's last college job was an assistant at Army (of course he was also an alum).

I'd take Stoops back over this hire.
ztonyg!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

How do you deride people for inferring and supposing things you think they don’t know....
UofAlum05 wrote:Lots of people who don't know jack shit are seeing a few people pissed and have decided to join the bandwagon. I can promise 90% of the people upset haven't watched a Navy football game nor understand that the Triple Option is not what he will run here.

And then follow up with the following which is based on inferences and suppositions you couldn’t possibly know?
UofAlum05 wrote:I wanted Sumlin but it appears he wasn't convinced he could win here despite us coming up with the money. Arizona isn't a desirable job, just face it. Would you want to coach at a place that has no money and half empty stadiums in the second half? Go to games around the country. Arizona football just sucks compared to other stadiums and places you walk into.

That was simply amazing...
jimson

Post by jimson »

No, a lot of people are seeing a lackluster hire that given with a free quarter paper wouldn't excite a tweaker.

We are ALL now in wait and see mode.
Last edited by jimson on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Is there a Bobby Hurley of college football we can hire?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I'm not sold that he will completely change his offense after running the same thing for 10+ years. Even if he does, how successful will he be? I don''t support being a test subject.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

FUCK. I checked the board. There goes my day..
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

“90% of people haven’t watched a Navy game”

You do realize Army Navy is one of the most watched games of the year and is the sole game that week? And Ken has coached that game for more than a decade
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Not too late to offer Charlie Weis or Tyrone Willingham
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Between Niumatalolo and Yates, all the players want Yates.

If they hire Niumatalolo, and Yates isn’t retained as DC, our roster is going to look a whole lot like Navy’s.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Chicat wrote:How do you deride people for inferring and supposing things you think they don’t know....

And then follow up with the following which is based on inferences and suppositions you couldn’t possibly know?
UofAlum05 wrote:I wanted Sumlin but it appears he wasn't convinced he could win here despite us coming up with the money. Arizona isn't a desirable job, just face it. Would you want to coach at a place that has no money and half empty stadiums in the second half? Go to games around the country. Arizona football just sucks compared to other stadiums and places you walk into.

C'mon man. You are one of the more reasonable people on these boards. 1) I do know that Sumlin still couldn't be won even when the money was there. I don't ever name drop who my buddies are but yes I do get the info and yes it does even go farther than what my premium (I still pay for) tells me.

2) You out of anyone should know what the follower mentality with social media has done to people. Look at all these people calling the AD office and screaming on social media. Are you going to tell me that most of them by their peers that Ken H was a good coach would do the same thing. We talk about this on the political boards all the time. Most people here that there peers do or don't agree with something and then just go on Twitter, message boards, etc. and act like experts. You know this better than anyone.

3) Someone called me a troll earlier. Which is nuts. You know out of anyone that I never state an opinion unless I have some sort of information that lead me to that opinion. So yes Sumlin turned us down, I know this. Yes I have been in college football games around American and think Arizona 2nd half experience is downright embarrassing to other stadiums I have been in. And yes I have watched Navy a bunch and think they are damn good.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UofAlum05 wrote:
Chicat wrote:How do you deride people for inferring and supposing things you think they don’t know....

C'mon man. You are one of the more reasonable people on these boards. 1) I do know that Sumlin still couldn't be won even when the money was there. I don't ever name drop who my buddies are but yes I do get the info and yes it does even go farther than what my premium (I still pay for) tells me.

2) You out of anyone should know what the follower mentality with social media has done to people. Look at all these people calling the AD office and screaming on social media. Are you going to tell me that most of them by their peers that Ken H was a good coach would do the same thing. We talk about this on the political boards all the time. Most people here that there peers do or don't agree with something and then just go on Twitter, message boards, etc. and act like experts. You know this better than anyone.

3) Someone called me a troll earlier. Which is nuts. You know out of anyone that I never state an opinion unless I have some sort of information that lead me to that opinion. So yes Sumlin turned us down, I know this. Yes I have been in college football games around American and think Arizona 2nd half experience is downright embarrassing to other stadiums I have been in. And yes I have watched Navy a bunch and think they are damn good.
Look, your statement was inconsistent at best, and supposed a ton.

90% of people haven’t watched a Navy game? Silly, especially as someone else pointed out Army/Navy.

We came up with the money for Sumlin but he doesn’t want to coach somewhere with no money? Uhhh....

We got to the point with Sumlin that we had the money in place (meaning he negotiated salary) but Ken is the best we’ll ever be able to do? Makes zero sense. The money it would take to get Sumlin would get other “name” coaches.

You supposed a lot about this fanbase and called “90%” of us out. I’m going to absolutely hit back on that. And yeah, I also don’t like to mention who I may know, but I get info from time to time as well. Doesn’t lead me to make assumptions about 9 out of 10 Arizona fans. In fact, it usually just makes me shake my head at our AD’s ineptitude (going back to Livengood) and feel sorry for those that invest hoping for better days that may never come.

It’s actually ok for people to be disappointed. If Niumatalolo is all that great, he’ll make us eat crow.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Chicat wrote: Between Niumatalolo and Yates, all the players want Yates.

If they hire Niumatalolo, and Yates isn’t retained as DC, our roster is going to look a whole lot like Navy’s.
If Kenny is hired over Yates, does he want to stay? I know he had some money trouble but damn.
jimson

Post by jimson »

I'm glad his players are disciplined. Our 180lb linemen are going to need to keep their cool after being flattened by 230lb running backs.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

btfd16 wrote:

If Kenny is hired over Yates, does he want to stay? I know he had some money trouble but damn.
I'm still trying to figure out how we go all the way down the list from Sumlin to the Navy HC. Thought Beau Baldwin was Option B. He turn us down too?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

This is like the Tennessee coaching vacancy debacle, except no one cares except us.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

jimson wrote:

I'm glad his players are disciplined. Our 180lb linemen are going to need to keep their cool after being flattened by 230lb running backs.
I'll take hyperbolic bullshit for $300 Alex.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

This is by far one of the worst hires we could have done.

Is Arizona a military academy? No, we're the farthest thing from it! Then why the hell are we hiring a military academy coach? Oh, his teams are disciplined? That couldn't have anything to do with the fact that the roster is entirely made up of military personnel, right?

For all the talk about candidates without lots of HC experience, like Troy Brown and Beau Baldwin, KN is arguably a worse hire, because his experience is coaching at a unique institution targeting unique individuals. How's that going to translate to modern Power 5 recruiting? A blind man can see that it won't.

The "Arizona sucks" is a bullshit excuse, and you know it. We could promote Yates, or hire a P5 OC, because we're at the very least a stepping stone for a lot of candidates. Your posts reek of blind, servile sunshine-pumping.

No thanks, I'll still pass on this shit hire.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Like with 10 and 11 win seasons and bowl appearances virtually every year?

Niumatalolo isn't my #1, but he has been a consistently succesful college HC. Yates hasn't.

Players can't make this decision and there's a reason why.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Chicat wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:

90% of people haven’t watched a Navy game? Silly, especially as someone else pointed out Army/Navy.

We came up with the money for Sumlin but he doesn’t want to coach somewhere with no money? Uhhh....

We got to the point with Sumlin that we had the money in place (meaning he negotiated salary) but Ken is the best we’ll ever be able to do? Makes zero sense. The money it would take to get Sumlin would get other “name” coaches.

You supposed a lot about this fanbase and called “90%” of us out. I’m going to absolutely hit back on that. And yeah, I also don’t like to mention who I may know, but I get info from time to time as well. Doesn’t lead me to make assumptions about 9 out of 10 Arizona fans. In fact, it usually just makes me shake my head at our AD’s ineptitude (going back to Livengood) and feel sorry for those that invest hoping for better days that may never come.

It’s actually ok for people to be disappointed. If Niumatalolo is all that great, he’ll make us eat crow.
Well they came up with the money but you don't think it concerned Sumlin's camp at all how long it took to come up with that money? I mean most programs in America have boosters who will pull $2 million out of their pocket in a sec if it meant winning an extra a game or two.

And yes, the AD's ineptitude is scary at times. The text I got last week was, "Byrne should be in jail" was very alarming when I asked WTH was going on over there during his tenure.

I don't believe anyone watching the Army-Navy game counts as people who have watched Navy Football. Unfortunately due to my ECU homerism I have to watch a lot of AAC football. Would Sumlin been a homerun? Absolutely. Would 50 other coaches besides Ken H been a homerun? Yes. But I have come to conclusion that when you combine the ineptitude that you mentioned, an apathetic fan base, a small market feel to the Arizona brand, etc. that this may have been the best they could have done within the timeline.

My heart just sinks when I think about the future of Arizona Athletics. I just seems so dark when looking at everything. And 9/10 my gut is right and I hate that. I just need to find some positive and I really like Ken H a lot. I've always been impressed with his teams and I think this whole calling the AD's office, threatening to pull support, etc. is a little silly. Its a followers mentality and you know it.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

TatetheGreat wrote:This is like the Tennessee coaching vacancy debacle, except no one cares except us.
Ding ding ding.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

qwertyus wrote:

This is by far one of the worst hires we could have done.

Is Arizona a military academy? No, we're the farthest thing from it! Then why the hell are we hiring a military academy coach? Oh, his teams are disciplined? That couldn't have anything to do with the fact that the roster is entirely made up of military personnel, right?

For all the talk about candidates without lots of HC experience, like Troy Brown and Beau Baldwin, KN is arguably a worse hire, because his experience is coaching at a unique institution targeting unique individuals. How's that going to translate to modern Power 5 recruiting? A blind man can see that it won't.

The "Arizona sucks" is a bullshit excuse, and you know it. We could promote Yates, or hire a P5 OC, because we're at the very least a stepping stone for a lot of candidates. Your posts reek of blind, servile sunshine-pumping.

No thanks, I'll still pass on this shit hire.
You pretty much said everything I meant to say when I said he was trolling.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The more I think about Ken N being the guy the more I like it.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Like with 10 and 11 win seasons and bowl appearances virtually every year?

Niumatalolo isn't my #1, but he has been a consistently succesful college HC. Yates hasn't.

Players can't make this decision and there's a reason why.
Don't think one 10 and one 11 win seasons against Tulsa, ECU, Tulane and UConn translates. Plus, he only won 7 games against the best the AAC has been in a while.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

UofAlum05 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:

Well they came up with the money but you don't think it concerned Sumlin's camp at all how long it took to come up with that money? I mean most programs in America have boosters who will pull $2 million out of their pocket in a sec if it meant winning an extra a game or two.

And yes, the AD's ineptitude is scary at times. The text I got last week was, "Byrne should be in jail" was very alarming when I asked WTH was going on over there during his tenure.

I don't believe anyone watching the Army-Navy game counts as people who have watched Navy Football. Unfortunately due to my ECU homerism I have to watch a lot of AAC football. Would Sumlin been a homerun? Absolutely. Would 50 other coaches besides Ken H been a homerun? Yes. But I have come to conclusion that when you combine the ineptitude that you mentioned, an apathetic fan base, a small market feel to the Arizona brand, etc. that this may have been the best they could have done within the timeline.

My heart just sinks when I think about the future of Arizona Athletics. I just seems so dark when looking at everything. And 9/10 my gut is right and I hate that. I just need to find some positive and I really like Ken H a lot. I've always been impressed with his teams and I think this whole calling the AD's office, threatening to pull support, etc. is a little silly. Its a followers mentality and you know it.
We've just become the Kansas of the Pac-12. There's not a lot to like here. RichRod was our Mangino (without the oversize gut). Ken H is going to be like Turner Gill and go 5-19 over 2 seasons. Unfortunately, unlike Kansas our basketball program could also be imploding at the same time.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

azgreg wrote:
HOORAY!
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

The only support players have shown for is Yates. So basically they supported Yates over Sumlin.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.