Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Coach Sumlin

Post by Chicat »

btfd16 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:Heeke says Sumlin is the only one the job was offered to.

lol Scheer
LOVED that.
Nobody in the media acknowledged that quote other than AZ Desert Swarm..... Awkward.
Guys... Really?

You should have that Wolken tweet tattooed on your body somewhere.
I have talked with multiple multiple people inside the search. One big donor, one former player, and an agent friend coworkers Sumlin's agent. But that's okay if you want to think we really offered the job to Ken N over Sumlin. More of a "think it over and let me know if you would take the job". A back up and ploy for more booster money. Nothing more.
Every single coaching search features only one person being offered the job.

Isn’t that weird?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I’m not going to comment anymore. I guess y’all truly believe Ken was the number 1 pick over Sumlin. Nothing I can say to change your mind. We got Sumlin as a number 2 pick. Yay
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

btfd16 wrote:I’m not going to comment anymore. I guess y’all truly believe Ken was the number 1 pick over Sumlin. Nothing I can say to change your mind. We got Sumlin as a number 2 pick. Yay
I think the majority don’t care who was first or second as long as we got Sumlin. I really don’t understand why some of you are pushing this either way.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
FlyonWall

Post by FlyonWall »

btfd16 wrote:I’m not going to comment anymore. I guess y’all truly believe Ken was the number 1 pick over Sumlin. Nothing I can say to change your mind. We got Sumlin as a number 2 pick. Yay
I am with you btfd16, I don't believe it was ever an offer to Ken. Chief alerted us to Sumlin out of all names BEFORE RR was fired. Sumlin was hired. If Chief had not said that, then it would be more feasible that both Ken and Sumlin were in play. But now the smoke has cleared, Ken was obviously a useful diversion to what was always the target, Sumlin. Freak everyone out, get booster $. Ken gets a raise and contract extension from Navy (probably). Heeke played them at the other site.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Side note: I’m not trying to shit on the media. It’s their job to report what is given to them.
FlyonWall

Post by FlyonWall »

Depends how you define media. I don't believe a story until I confirm it on Tucson.com To me they apply journalistic standards.

The recruiting websites pass along gossip, so even if they sometimes pass along news, it is always suspect to me. Not that gossip doesn't often turn out to be fact, and I enjoy getting the unverified ahead of the news as much as everyone, but that creates a credibility gap between the information you get there and what you get at a true news site.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I am completely on board with you on this one, btfd16. I do not find it credible to believe that we got KS because KN turned us down.

As for "only one guy ever getting offered any job" I don't buy that, either.

I am fans of people on the other side of this debate( namely Chicat), but I share neither their loyalty nor respect for Scheer. I think he is very self-important and view his role very differently than I do. And oh yeah, according to him he is NEVER wrong.

Heeke & Robbins would have to be idiots to have wanted Ken N over Sumlin, and after listening to them this morning - I am pretty sure they are not. Occam's razor.

The one guy who has been right about this whole situation since long before RR was fired was chiefzona. And I do not think that is debatable.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
I am completely on board with you on this one, btfd16. I do not find it credible to believe that we got KS because KN turned us down.

I am fans of people on the other side of this debate( namely Chicat), but I share neither their loyalty nor respect for Scheer. I think he is very self-important and view his role very differently than I do. And oh yeah, according to him he is NEVER wrong.

Heeke & Robbins would have to be idiots to have wanted Ken N over Sumlin, and after listening to them this morning - I am pretty sure they are not. Occam's razor.

The one guy who has been right about this whole situation since long before RR was fired was chiefzona. And I do not think that is debatable.
Yup.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Guys.....Kenny N wasn’t offered the job. He was a player but Sumlin was number one. Sumlin kind of played back and the names were thrown out to get some donor money. After two phone calls they met twice. Sumlin took the job for peanuts. He really wanted it but he also had some demands.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:

I don’t think we got Sumlin because Niumatalolo turned us down. I do think that Niumatalolo went back to Annapolis with an unofficial offer, and the impression that an official offer would be forthcoming.

In general I just find it intriguing that universities always get their number one guy. Even when we know that to be bullshit. Not saying it is bullshit in this case because obviously Sumlin was top of the list, but if I was an AD I’d tell at least three prospects that I could see them in my school colors and that I’d love to have them on board. No one in their right mind would say, “Look, if everything else falls through ...... eh, maybe” if they thought option #1 might not take the job.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Watching CKS Press Conference now....Damn, I’m so stoked! I haven’t been this fired up for Football in a very, very long time (except the lone season where we won the P12 South until we got humiliated by Oregon in the Championship Game).

We definitely made a home run hire here....no doubt. Perfect fit for our program IMHO. Bear Down.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Also watching coach's introductory press conference. I'm very impressed and can't wait to see what he can do with the players and where he can take our program. Putting ASU to shame with this hire. BTFD
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

TatetheGreat wrote:Also watching coach's introductory press conference. I'm very impressed and can't wait to see what he can do with the players and where he can take our program. Putting ASU to shame with this hire. BTFD
I know....as much crap as they are throwing at Sumlin, you know they are crying/dying on the inside ROFLMAO. Hiring Herm to be the GM and keeping their OC and DC....Hey ASU, how’s that working out for you?

This is a no brainer win over the Scummies.

PS. I pasted a good article from SB nation in the Arch Rivals thread comparing the two hires :-)
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

L
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

FlyonWall wrote:
I am with you btfd16, I don't believe it was ever an offer to Ken. Chief alerted us to Sumlin out of all names BEFORE RR was fired. Sumlin was hired. If Chief had not said that, then it would be more feasible that both Ken and Sumlin were in play. But now the smoke has cleared, Ken was obviously a useful diversion to what was always the target, Sumlin. Freak everyone out, get booster $. Ken gets a raise and contract extension from Navy (probably). Heeke played them at the other site.
Sumlin was Option A, B, and C. Everything else was smoke and mirrors.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
Sorry coach, you have to win to get folks to support you. That's how it works down here. Take that "we need crowd support" someplace else. Right Hater and Scum? :lol:
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
Man. This guy is knocking it out of the park! And you get the feeling it’s not all talk.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UALoco wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
Sorry coach, you have to win to get folks to support you. That's how it works down here. Take that "we need crowd support" someplace else. Right Hater and Scum? :lol:
What matters more than winning is inspiring confidence and instilling hope that good things will happen... especially early.

Rich Rod never did that. Despite the opinions of some of the sycophantic RR apologists on this board, the general fan community never warmed up to him.

I thought he was a shit hire and an arrogant glad-handing asshole from Day 1 and caught a lot of shit about it. I also got sick and tired of him poking fun at the talent left behind when he got here (which proved better than what he wa able to bring in). I feel very vindicated on that call.

I was excited about Stoops and got that one wrong. I am ECSTATIC about Sumlin and I hope my instincts are right.

Good will will last 2-3 seasons... after that, it's about results. But I think we got a guy that understands you cannot control winning and losing. You focus on getting the right people and doing things the right way and trust that the results will take care of themselves.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Yea, I remember too how much whining there was about the cupboards are bare so here, how he was just so shocked at how weak we were in the weight room, and slow blah blah blah, did turn out his best teams were with the kids who were here.

Sumlin is the fresh new attitude and perspective we need to ignite the fan base locally, and perhaps get us on the national radar. We'll start this spring and next season with at least some interest nationally with the Tate/Sumlin combo.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
UALoco wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
What matters more than winning is inspiring confidence and instilling hope that good things will happen... especially early.

Rich Rod never did that. Despite the opinions of some of the sycophantic RR apologists on this board, the general fan community never warmed up to him.

I thought he was a shit hire and an arrogant glad-handing asshole from Day 1 and caught a lot of shit about it. I also got sick and tired of him poking fun at the talent left behind when he got here (which proved better than what he wa able to bring in). I feel very vindicated on that call.

I was excited about Stoops and got that one wrong. I am ECSTATIC about Sumlin and I hope my instincts are right.

Good will will last 2-3 seasons... after that, it's about results. But I think we got a guy that understands you cannot control winning and losing. You focus on getting the right people and doing things the right way and trust that the results will take care of themselves.
I was originally a RichRod fan (offensive innovator, thought if he had gotten one more year at Michigan he would have turned it around, fun public personality, etc), but it was tough to maintain that enthusiasm with mediocre results and with him seemingly having one foot out the door.

As with RR, I will never begrudge Sumlin using success here to trade up for a better job ...... but the success has to come first. RR didn’t seem to understand that.
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

Howdy! Here are a few things you can expect to see from Coach Sumlin over the off season!
Pros:
1. He will certainly bring a new energy to your program, he is very engaging and great with the media. However, with us, at times, he did come off a little smug, personally I liked it. We were always getting blasted by the media, especially in our own state. shorthorns control the media out here!
2. He will not discus player injuries
3. Spring game will be fun, recommend going, you'll get a small glimpse of what your offence will look like.
4. Players will love him, he is a CEO but a players coach. He lets his assistants call games.
5. Look for him to lock down Arizona recruiting, I fully expect him to keep the top players in state.
6. He likes a rowdy crowd, more your into the game, the better his teams play. He is all about fan support and buy in.
7. it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see some major upgrades in facilities over the next couple of years.

Cons:
1. My only knock against him was he and his agent played us pretty hard after the 12 season. There would be constant talk about him going to the NFL and he would never shoot it down. Our wish was for him was to come just come out and say it one way or another.

If he's winning, and has the buy in and support of the fans and boosters, he won't leave. I imagine his goal will be to get to the same type of contract as RR. I think he will be there in a couple of years. I hope he's stays and bring Arizona football to national relevance con competes for not Conf titles but Natl titles. He can get you there!

As things move forward I think you will see a lot of unrest in Tempe. He will put it all together in short order.

I don't know much about Yates' defensive philosophy, but Sumlin will get the players he needs to get you to the next level.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
UALoco wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:

Being somewhat of a pollyanna, I was excited about RR at first. Yet, I always suspected Michigan was on to something about him early in his tenure there we never learned about. Still do.
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

MrMeow wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
UALoco wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:

Being somewhat of a pollyanna, I was excited about RR at first. Yet, I always suspected Michigan was on to something about him early in his tenure there we never learned about. Still do.
I thought RR at UM would have been a success, but his style of football didn't work. They just don't play that type in the Mid-West. When he came to Arizona, I really thought he was going to do there what he did at WV, just not sure what happened.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I knew Rich Rod's bullshit before anyone else did. I argued with many a fan. They are all quiet now. It's weird. Anyhow......Viva Sumlin.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Here is an article that disputes the bare cupboard theory and illustrates why 18 isn't a rebuild.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... tball-2018" target="_blank
jimson

Post by jimson »

chiefzona wrote:I knew Rich Rod's bullshit before anyone else did. I argued with many a fan. They are all quiet now. It's weird. Anyhow......Viva Sumlin.
Look, he gave us 5 out of 6 winning seasons, our first division championship and some exciting wins. He had us trending upward after the 3 win season.

He wasn't exactly a failure here, but he never really tried to become a part of the community, and he was a press conference dick. A lot of player alumns felt he didn't bother to acknowledge them or make them feel like part of the program.

CYA later RR

Welcome Coach Sumlin.

It looks like Heeke has asked him to address some of those PR issues, and he is saying the right things.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

TX AGGIE wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
UALoco wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:

I thought he was a shit hire and an arrogant glad-handing asshole from Day 1 and caught a lot of shit about it. I also got sick and tired of him poking fun at the talent left behind when he got here (which proved better than what he wa able to bring in). I feel very vindicated on that call

I thought RR at UM would have been a success, but his style of football didn't work. They just don't play that type in the Mid-West. When he came to Arizona, I really thought he was going to do there what he did at WV, just not sure what happened.
I'm not convinced RR's style of football was the problem at UM. UM knew his style before he was hired.
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

That's fair, they did know what they were getting into. But going from Lloyd Carr power run to up tempo, option spread are two very different styles and philosophies. I think they learned the hard way, that it just wouldn't work. The same way air-raid won't be continually successful the SECW. Look at us and Arkansas with Petrino.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:I knew Rich Rod's bullshit before anyone else did. I argued with many a fan. They are all quiet now. It's weird. Anyhow......Viva Sumlin.
I will admit I was a RR guy. I did think he was as bad as you make him out to be, but he wasn't great.

We did so so so much better though with Sumlin. Huge upgrade.

Beers on me at No Anchovies September 1st buddy. One of your Twitter followers will be joining also
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

jimson wrote:
Look, he gave us 5 out of 6 winning seasons, our first division championship and some exciting wins. He had us trending upward after the 3 win season.

He wasn't exactly a failure here, but he never really tried to become a part of the community, and he was a press conference dick. A lot of player alumns felt he didn't bother to acknowledge them or make them feel like part of the program.

CYA later RR

Welcome Coach Sumlin.

It looks like Heeke has asked him to address some of those PR issues, and he is saying the right things.
I really could care less about personality or PR. Nick Saban isn't exactly Mr. Personality, but any school would kill for him as a coach.

Sumlin's start is good PR. What will really determine things in the long run is his success on the field. His scheme is similar enough to RR's that there should be some transferability there. Having a solid 2018 is a big deal. Arizona fans are mostly jaded enough that it is easy to slip into "here we go again" territory with a coach and mediocrity.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Addae officially not retained.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

jimson wrote:

CYA later RR

Welcome Coach Sumlin.

Yep. RR has shown he knows how to coach and these armchair GM's talk a big game. Who knew his off-the-field shenanigans would be his downfall, I sure didn't. No one really did. That caught everyone by surprise except those in the Triangle of Secrecy. He wasn't fired for the coaching and there is $6MM paid out to prove that. Happy to see the potential upgrade in Sumlin, hope he gets and deserves better fan support. With football on the downturn due to P12 revenues, head trauma, fan apathy, this might be our last chance.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UALoco wrote:
jimson wrote:

CYA later RR

Welcome Coach Sumlin.

Yep. RR has shown he knows how to coach and these armchair GM's talk a big game. Who knew his off-the-field shenanigans would be his downfall, I sure didn't. No one really did. That caught everyone by surprise except those in the Triangle of Secrecy. He wasn't fired for the coaching and there is $6MM paid out to prove that. Happy to see the potential upgrade in Sumlin, hope he gets and deserves better fan support. With football on the downturn due to P12 revenues, head trauma, fan apathy, this might be our last chance.
RR was fired for his performance. That is clear. Other than the affairs there is nothing else concrete right now and that is why Heeke paid him the full amount.

You drive it home though with the fan support. There is no reason for Tucson and our fans not to be behind Sumlin 100% right now. Sucks that the haters are already making demands for support but you cannot change some people. Attendance and support are needed now more than ever. Lets all do this and make Sumlin feel the love, help him in recruiting, and help the team on game day.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

This is a Sumlin thread :) please can we keep the Sumlin positivity?
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

RRod's biggest problem by FAR was recruiting. He never put any effort into it and allowed asst coaches to recruit players who don't even belong in Div 1 football. I actually think Arizona was a pretty well coached football team overall and definitely exceeded their talent level. But you can't not give a sh** about recruiting at a place like Arizona that doesn't recruit itself or have top talent playing close by.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I really could care less about personality or PR. Nick Saban isn't exactly Mr. Personality, but any school would kill for him as a coach.
True, but Saban never really had to build a football town where there isn't one.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UofAlum05 wrote:RRod's biggest problem by FAR was recruiting. He never put any effort into it and allowed asst coaches to recruit players who don't even belong in Div 1 football. I actually think Arizona was a pretty well coached football team overall and definitely exceeded their talent level. But you can't not give a sh** about recruiting at a place like Arizona that doesn't recruit itself or have top talent playing close by.
Along with having your drinking buddy and defensive coordinator Jeff Casteel not have to recruit at all.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

What does this have to do with Sumlin?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

jimson wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
True, but Saban never really had to build a football town where there isn't one.
I come back to winning. We win enough, the support will come. When Stoops was close to the Pac crown, the interest was there. Then the fans prematurely rushed the field vs Oregon.

That's what I'm hoping for with Sumlin. Consistently competing for the Pac, even if not every year, would be a good marker.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I come back to winning. We win enough, the support will come. When Stoops was close to the Pac crown, the interest was there. Then the fans prematurely rushed the field vs Oregon.

That's what I'm hoping for with Sumlin. Consistently competing for the Pac, even if not every year, would be a good marker.
Of course winning is most important but the coach engaging the community and courting the fans builds good will and that helps.
I may be wrong, but I don't recall RR doing much of that.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

chiefzona wrote:I knew Rich Rod's bullshit before anyone else did.
is that so?

excited by the Sumlin hire, fwiw.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

jimson wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Of course winning is most important but the coach engaging the community and courting the fans builds good will and that helps.
Community engagement is a no lose proposition. It's always better to have a coach who tries to involve fans.

The ultimate thing is winning though, especially at Arizona. If there's a fan base that is always expecting the bad shoe to drop, it's us. Enthusiasm bleeds out fast when it starts to look like the same old thing AZ fans are used to.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

So self congratulatory... how unusual for you.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

jimson wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

One of the more astonishing things to come out of RR's demise to me is that he excluded and did not court past Wildcats. I mean, who the f does he think he is.

I really like this then. Coach Sumlin putting things back on track.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:
This is Chief’s ultimate moment of glory.
jimson

Post by jimson »

BearDown89 wrote:
One of the more astonishing things to come out of RR's demise to me is that he excluded and did not court past Wildcats. I mean, who the f does he think he is.

Amen to that.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

BearDown89 wrote:
jimson wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Technically, I am a letter winner and have a UofA letterman jack that I was sized for and given.... Can I come around whenever? :D
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Chicat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
This is Chief’s ultimate moment of glory.