Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UALoco

Re: Indoor Practice Facility

Post by UALoco »

carcassdragger wrote:
Chicat wrote:
whatisee wrote:Practice Field will need a name...how about

The Teddy Bruschi Football complex?
I don’t think Tedy has the coin to write a big fat check.
I don't think he would want to write a check. He's spoken out against needing facilities to attract the kind of player we should want.

.....not that I agree with him.
Superbowl MVP Nick Foles Indoor Football Practice Facility
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The Azgreg Den Of Damage.
prh

Post by prh »

UALoco wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I don't think he would want to write a check. He's spoken out against needing facilities to attract the kind of player we should want.

If only he was a UFA this year that could be a lot more likely
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

prh wrote:
UALoco wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:
Chicat wrote:

He already donated before! Dad is pretty loaded too

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... ad3af.html" target="_blank
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
prh

Post by prh »

Newportcat wrote:
prh wrote:
UALoco wrote: Superbowl MVP Nick Foles Indoor Football Practice Facility

Oh yeah I think he would consider it. Just thinking how if he was UFA he'd be signing 20+/year deal this summer. He's made 19m in contract salary so far in his career.
Last edited by prh on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
prh wrote:
UALoco wrote: Superbowl MVP Nick Foles Indoor Football Practice Facility

Oh yeah I think he would consider it. Just thinking how if he was UFA he'd be signing 20+/year deal this summer. He's made 19m in contract salary soar in his career.
Still the chance that some team tries to trade for him and signs him to a big contract. Either way his family is not hurting at all for money.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

And then open up Bruschi's Restaurant across the street in Sam Hughes
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

Jefe wrote:And then open up Bruschi's Restaurant across the street in Sam Hughes
Can someone explain to me why the Sam Hughs bar and restaurant in it failed?
Whenever I tried to dine there after games, it was packed. My buddy's go to place for Co-eds looking for a Sugar daddy. He still asks me when is it going to reopen?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Footballjunkie wrote:
Jefe wrote:And then open up Bruschi's Restaurant across the street in Sam Hughes
Can someone explain to me why the Sam Hughs bar and restaurant in it failed?
Whenever I tried to dine there after games, it was packed. My buddy's go to place for Co-eds looking for a Sugar daddy. He still asks me when is it going to reopen?
Well the Sam Hughes place closed probably 7 years ago now. Was replaced by the Social House which closed a couple years ago now too. I think a big reason is the rent in the building is too high.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Footballjunkie wrote:Can someone explain to me why the Sam Hughs bar and restaurant in it failed?
Union looked at opening a location there and it has major issues. Rent is absurd and thats coming from someone with 2, now 3 restaurants in St Phillips. They also said the kitchen and dining area need to be completely redone as the kitchen takes up almost half the space.

It was overcrowded on game days and then dead the rest of the time. No one ever came up with a good menu and parking was always a problem.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Per PDC website, arizona hired the architect who did these renderings so my best guess is it should look really close to what the renderings they put out before originally approved.

Man I can’t wait until construction starts on this. Massive game changer for our football program. Per website construction starts next month
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It really should be a brewery.

Bruschi's Brewski's.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Bruschi's Brewski's.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

IrishAzCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Bruschi's Brewski's.
Beautiful. "Even if you're not a quarterback, Bruschi's Brewski's will put you on your back."
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

90 yard field with a 10 yard end zone.

http://arizonawildcats.com/news/2018/3/ ... -page.aspx" target="_blank

http://arizonawildcats.com/sports/2017/ ... paign.aspx" target="_blank
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Looks very nice and legit and indoor beer garden before games is going to be sick

Looks like we are rearranging the practice fields to go east and west too and there will be two fields running in back of the new academic facility

Not sure if both will be 100 yard fields but would require rearranging walls of sancet

New stadium improvements looks sick too. Has to be one of the nicest student sections in the country. Students deserve it after paying the student fee. Also lower east side looks nice too.

While south and west still need major remodels, what’s nice is if you are in the south will be easy to walk to new east restrooms and Cocessions and west to go to north end zone

What is funny is if you sit in the north end zone it’s like being a new stadium from entering to seats to concessions. West and south side feels like such an old stadium. But one step at a time and soon half the stadium will feel like new.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

That stadium is a real working facility, housing a dorm, a mirror lab, football headquarters and restaurant. Glad to see that lower east side get some attention to make it a lot more appealing. It was in desperate need of a redo.

The indoor facility gets started soon. Seeing what U of A released, UA spending about the same on the Hilenbrand swimming complex upgrades as they are the new practice facility. This new practice building is going to be used all the time, depending on how the UA manages it, could be used 365 days a year if they wanted to.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:That stadium is a real working facility, housing a dorm, a mirror lab, football headquarters and restaurant. Glad to see that lower east side get some attention to make it a lot more appealing. It was in desperate need of a redo.

The indoor facility gets started soon. Seeing what U of A released, UA spending about the same on the Hilenbrand swimming complex upgrades as they are the new practice facility. This new practice building is going to be used all the time, depending on how the UA manages it, could be used 365 days a year if they wanted to.
Pretty crazy how much goes on at the stadium. Lower East side was in pretty tough shape so will be nice when this is done. They also add new seats right above the Zona Zoo two years ago which were much needed too. What will be nice is people from the South Side will be able to easily walk to Lower East side to use concessions there.

That new indoor is going to be so amazing. Been dreaming about it for years. So many sports will benefit from it and those pregame beer gardens will be sweet!
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

Any news?
The groundbreaking was supposed to be this month but I have not heard anything? :?
Whenever U of A does a construction project, they usually put up a Cam so that Alumni and others can follow the progress.

Come on guys. Its the little things, that don't cost anything, like ground breaking ceremonies and building cams that enhance programs.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Are we gonna rip out the artificial turf eventually?

What a stupid move for so little gain all for someone’s “rep” based on what was successful 10 years ago.
I hope not. Turf is much lower cost and comparable performance to grass. You can't smoke turf, but everything else is turf all the way.
Artificial turf causes a lot more injuries (and that has taken it toll on Arizona in the short time it has been in place). You still have to weed it, and water it (to keep it cool), top up the sand, and you have to replace it periodically. It is not lower cost.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RichardCranium wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Are we gonna rip out the artificial turf eventually?

What a stupid move for so little gain all for someone’s “rep” based on what was successful 10 years ago.
I hope not. Turf is much lower cost and comparable performance to grass. You can't smoke turf, but everything else is turf all the way.
Artificial turf causes a lot more injuries (and that has taken it toll on Arizona in the short time it has been in place). You still have to weed it, and water it (to keep it cool), top up the sand, and you have to replace it periodically. It is not lower cost.
Here's a study finding no difference in injury rate in natural grass vs modern sythetic turf.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21985213" target="_blank
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Here's a study finding no difference in injury rate in natural grass vs modern sythetic turf.

And here is a quote from the precis of that article:
An exception is the likely increased risk of ankle injury on third and fourth generation artificial turfs. Therefore, ankle injury prevention strategies must be a priority for athletes who play on artificial turf regularly. Clarification of effects of artificial surfaces on muscle and knee injuries are required given inconsistencies in incidence rate ratios depending on the football code, athlete, gender or match versus training.
The study did not find 'no difference'.

And I notice you didn't try quoting a study that purported to find that artificial turf was cheaper than natural.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
prh

Post by prh »

Are we forgetting the yearly ACL tears we had with Stoops? We've had injury problems going back longer than RR
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RichardCranium wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Here's a study finding no difference in injury rate in natural grass vs modern sythetic turf.

And here is a quote from the precis of that article:
An exception is the likely increased risk of ankle injury on third and fourth generation artificial turfs. Therefore, ankle injury prevention strategies must be a priority for athletes who play on artificial turf regularly. Clarification of effects of artificial surfaces on muscle and knee injuries are required given inconsistencies in incidence rate ratios depending on the football code, athlete, gender or match versus training.
The study did not find 'no difference'.

And I notice you didn't try quoting a study that purported to find that artificial turf was cheaper than natural.
"Analysis showed that 16 of the 20 cohorts showed trivial effects for overall incidence rate ratios between surfaces. There was increased risk of ankle injury playing on artificial turf in eight cohorts, with incidence rate ratios from 0.7 to 5.2. Evidence concerning risk of knee injuries on the two surfaces was inconsistent, with incidence rate ratios from 0.4 to 2.8. Two cohorts showed beneficial inferences over the 90% likelihood value for effects of artificial surface on muscle injuries for soccer players; however, there were also two harmful, four unclear and five trivial inferences across the three football codes."

Overall a trivial difference. Ankle injury with higher risk, turf has a beneficial effect on muscle injuries with some lack of clarity and no difference in knee injuries.

On the cost, I'm sure you can google as well as I can. The installation cost is greater with turf, but turf becomes cost advantageous when factoring in the degree to which it allows multi-use of the facility.

Turf technology is also evolving to be better for injuries and cost. Grass is not.
WildcatLouis

Post by WildcatLouis »

For those interested, the webcam for the Indoor Practice Facility has gone live:

https://www.pdc.arizona.edu/project/18-9390?tab=camera" target="_blank
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Nice and anyone ever hear what U of A is going to do with the old practice field behind the new sand volleyball court. You get a great shot of it in the webcam.

I had heard they were thinking of ground leasing it to a develop to build a hotel or apartments maybe with a big restaurant? Use the ground lease payments to fund more athletic facility improvements.

Too good a piece of land for it to sit vacant and unused for as long as it has.

Curious is anyone heard anything different
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Demo has started and looks like they are taking out centerfield fence to make the area to the north of the new Indoor a square practice field which will be nice. From renderings it looks like there will be two fields going the opposite direction then what they are now.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Thats kind of a sad video, honestly not real sure why U of A posted it
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That was hard to watch. Saw many games there and was there the night the ooh ahh man got his start.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Newportcat wrote:Thats kind of a sad video, honestly not real sure why U of A posted it
azcat49 wrote:That was hard to watch.
Had the same thoughts. Weird video. Maybe not everything needs an Instagram story.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Thats kind of a sad video, honestly not real sure why U of A posted it
azcat49 wrote:That was hard to watch.
Had the same thoughts. Weird video. Maybe not everything needs an Instagram story.
At the very least they should've taken off Sancet and Kindall's names off those bricks and give it to their families before they tore it down. If it was just knocking down a bunch of nameless bricks and rubble then I think it would've been much more appropriate to post.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

My brother got laid on that pitcher's mound.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Looking at the current webcam footage, given that location next to the stadium we were pretty lucky to be able to move baseball over to Hi Corbett a few years back. That space much better utilized to boost the football program vs a baseball field. Revenue generator, practice fields, recruiting, alumni and tailgating area, lots of possibilities. And you've got the new student athlete center next door.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Looking at the construction cam for this project, first signs of life on our new football facility...we have some grass!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Looking at the construction cam for this project, first signs of life on our new football facility...we have some grass!
So I assume we're using real grass for that smaller field then? I figured it was going to be turf.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TheGreatCatsby wrote:Looking at the construction cam for this project, first signs of life on our new football facility...we have some grass!
So I assume we're using real grass for that smaller field then? I figured it was going to be turf.
Yes real grass. It will be next to the practice facility behind new academic facility so I believe we will have one full length grass practice field and then the 90 yard indoor practice field on turf with the roll up doors leading in and out of it so I believe easy to switch from the outdoor to the indoor.

However, are cleats different for field turf compared to Grass fields?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
However, are cleats different for field turf compared to Grass fields?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Looks like they are laying sod at the far east end.Wonder if that is temporary for the teams fall camp season?
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Looks like they are laying sod at the far east end.Wonder if that is temporary for the team this fall camp season?

Don't know if it's temporary, but it's definitely being put in in time for fall camp.

Status
Demolition is complete and preparation for re-orientated practice field is almost complete. Sod installation by FM to start soon in anticipation for the start of Fall football practice. Relocation of underground utilities also underway.

http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/project/18-9390" target="_blank
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

UA could be missing out of an income opportunity here. Think there are even a few theme parks like this, but they could charge eager fans a $500 donation to drive any piece of that construction equipment around in that big dirt pile for awhile and do big construction equipmenty things. Looks like a lot of fun! Even driving any one of those equipment pieces around in that big oval racecar style would be a blast :D
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

What are they hiding? We talkin bout practice? Looks like a 50 yard section and then random boxes

and it just went away

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I would assume once practice starts those shaded areas will beup and running. That way no other team sneaks a peak
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:What are they hiding? We talkin bout practice? Looks like a 50 yard section and then random boxes

and it just went away

My guess is they're getting the privacy mode ready for when practices start tomorrow.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

azcat49 wrote:I would assume once practice starts those shaded areas will beup and running. That way no other team sneaks a peak
That would be hilarious if another team was actually scouting our practice from that far away
prh

Post by prh »

Jefe wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I would assume once practice starts those shaded areas will beup and running. That way no other team sneaks a peak
That would be hilarious if another team was actually scouting our practice from that far away
There was an incident at the World Cup like this involving telescopes.

I'm gonna pretend this is to block out the Star
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

I've been wondering how they'd handle that issue of spying once practice starts with the building webcam. And sad as it sounds, yes someone from BYU, USC, UCLA and others would be watching our ICA Indoor Sports Center building cam to determine what we're up to!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Looks like they put the first foundation pillars in. When is this bad boy scheduled to be done? Looks like early next year to me?