Mariota's Heisman Moment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Katzenfreund

Mariota's Heisman Moment

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
OSUCat

Re: Mariota's Heisman Moment

Post by OSUCat »

That is hilarious.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

That is brilliant.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
wilbur1997

Post by wilbur1997 »

Well done.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sadly, Scooby will never see an NFL minute, while Mariotta will have a very nice financially rewarding career.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

The Cats beat up Marcus Mariota twice. That's a pretty fucking good deal.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:Sadly, Scooby will never see an NFL minute, while Mariotta will have a very nice financially rewarding career.
Uh, I wouldn't go writing Scooby off just yet. He very well could develop into an NFL player.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
michcat

Post by michcat »

Merkin wrote:Sadly, Scooby will never see an NFL minute, while Mariotta will have a very nice financially rewarding career.

I would not doubt anything about his kid. He may not have the size or speed for the nfl but he has the intangibles and never quits. It seems like statements like this only motivates him to get better.
SDCAT23

Post by SDCAT23 »

michcat wrote:

I would not doubt anything about his kid. He may not have the size or speed for the nfl but he has the intangibles and never quits. It seems like statements like this only motivates him to get better.
Not sure what you're talking about? if the depth chart is accurate he already has NFL size and he's like 19 years old. All things remain equal, he will be playing on Sunday.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Didn't people say the same thing about Tedy?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

SDCAT23 wrote: Not sure what you're talking about? if the depth chart is accurate he already has NFL size and he's like 19 years old. All things remain equal, he will be playing on Sunday.
Jake Fischer is listed as 6'0" on the his Arizona bio page, but is a lot closer to 5'9". I'll have to pay closer attention when Scooby stands next to other players. Fischer was noticeably shorter when in a crowd.

Here are the true heights of LBs at the NFL combine this year:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/22/5 ... inebackers
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Katz that is awesome. When the heck are we getting rep over here?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
SDCAT23 wrote: Not sure what you're talking about? if the depth chart is accurate he already has NFL size and he's like 19 years old. All things remain equal, he will be playing on Sunday.
Jake Fischer is listed as 6'0" on the his Arizona bio page, but is a lot closer to 5'9". I'll have to pay closer attention when Scooby stands next to other players. Fischer was noticeably shorter when in a crowd.

Here are the true heights of LBs at the NFL combine this year:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/22/5 ... inebackers
Does Scooby strike you as being remotely as small as Jake? I have no idea what he's listed at but from watching him play I'd say he's 6'2".
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote: Does Scooby strike you as being remotely as small as Jake? I have no idea what he's listed at but from watching him play I'd say he's 6'2".
No he doesn't but Jake was listed at 6'0", and Scooby is listed at 6'1".
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote: Does Scooby strike you as being remotely as small as Jake? I have no idea what he's listed at but from watching him play I'd say he's 6'2".
No he doesn't but Jake was listed at 6'0", and Scooby is listed at 6'1".
Then I bet he's right there at 6'1". He's got NFL size for sure. I think the question will be his speed. Because playmaking ability and tackling are not a question.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Alieberman wrote:Didn't people say the same thing about Tedy?
The kid is a clone of Bruschi in every way except the fact that he isn't playing DE in the double eagle flex
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

splitsecond wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Didn't people say the same thing about Tedy?
The kid is a clone of Bruschi in every way except the fact that he isn't playing DE in the double eagle flex
My thinking exactly
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

quick search did not see a Scooby Appreciation thread. So...

Hometown paper with a good in-depth story on Scooby. Some highlights:
The tattoo begins on Scooby Wright’s right shoulder and then extends down his right arm almost to the elbow. Most of the tattoo is in black ink, except for a red streak. That would be the trail of blood that leads to the head of Goliath, his face in utter shock, the look of what-the-heck-just-happened sealing the act of the little guy taking down the big guy.

David is slaying Goliath right there on Wright’s body, and the former Cardinal Newman star will never tire of it being an accurate representation of himself. His star may be rising as it is now — actually it has the trajectory of a rocket launch — but Wright has a long memory. It will never dull the words he heard one day at a Cal Berkeley football camp in 2012.

“You may want to try Sac (Sacramento) State,” a Cal coach told Wright and his father, Phil.

With one play, Wright reduced if not eliminated Oregon’s chances of winning a national championship and diminished considerably Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota’s quest to win the Heisman Trophy. With one play.

“I honestly didn’t know how I did it,” Wright said. “I couldn’t picture how I did it. I had to look at the JumboTron. ‘Wow,’ I said to myself. ‘I did that?’ ”

Oregon, a 23-point favorite, loses. At home. To an unranked team. To a team that’s never played in the Rose Bowl. Oh, yes, it was Mariota’s first turnover of the season.

“It was probably the best play of my life,” Wright said.

Not that he puffed out his chest.

“It was the worst game I played all season,” he said.

But you caused that fumble … recovered that fumble … you should …

“One play doesn’t make a player,” Wright interrupted.

“The minute you think you’ve got it made,” Wright said, “you’ll get kicked in the teeth.”

There may have never been a football player better than Wright in turning criticism and rejection into motivation. In his Tucson apartment and also at his locker at Arizona Stadium, Wright has taped on a wall a scouting report from NorCal Preps. Wright was a senior at Newman when the evaluator wrote, among other things: “His speed and athleticism is worrisome … it looks like he could be exploited in coverage and outside runs at the Pac-12 level … physical limitations put a cap on how good he can be … Wright doesn’t have the kind of lateral quickness that you would like to see from a linebacker at the college level.”

I tried testing him one more time about being comfortable.

“Scooby, it’ll be hard for you to keep being David if you play like Goliath.”

Wright’s response? He didn’t have one. It wasn’t necessary. One play doesn’t make a player. Neither does one season.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/293 ... cat#page=1