It was bound to happen, I suppose

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Berkut

It was bound to happen, I suppose

Post by Berkut »

Honestly, Arizona looked pretty awful tonight. The "talent" difference was rather start in the trenches - there really is a difference between 2/3 stars and 4/5 starts. And you can coach those 2/3s up, sure...but you can't coach them bigger.

Anu looked like a freshman on so many plays tonight. Which is hey, yeah, he is a freshman, right?

The defense had some stops here and there, but lets be honest - USC could have and probably should have just kept shoving the ball down their throat all night. They could have rushed for 450 if they wanted. This 3-3-5, with the players it has now, simply cannot handle a power running game like that - you cannot scheme your way around basic smashmouth football.

And once again, Arizona returns to form after a big game. Sigh.
3goggles

Re: It was bound to happen, I suppose

Post by 3goggles »

And after all of these things they still should've won the game! Everybody is acting like its the end of the world. Take a breath and relax. Every single person on this board would've crapped themselves if we were 5-1.
Berkut

Post by Berkut »

No panic here, and this is still a great year...so far.

However, the question last night was "How good is Arizona?" Are they undefeated, legit contender for the conference title good? Or are they improving from year to year, but still not quite at championship caliber yet good?

Nobody at the beginning of the year thought the first question was even relevant. After a 5-0 start, it certainly was. But the answers appears to be the latter. Which is still fine, it is what I was hoping from the beginning.

But that doesn't change the dissapointment that it isn't the former - Arizona football is due a "special" year, aren't they? Why not this year?

Still plenty to play for, including a championship, at least in theory.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Berkut wrote:No panic here, and this is still a great year...so far.

However, the question last night was "How good is Arizona?" Are they undefeated, legit contender for the conference title good? Or are they improving from year to year, but still not quite at championship caliber yet good?

Nobody at the beginning of the year thought the first question was even relevant. After a 5-0 start, it certainly was. But the answers appears to be the latter. Which is still fine, it is what I was hoping from the beginning.

But that doesn't change the dissapointment that it isn't the former - Arizona football is due a "special" year, aren't they? Why not this year?

Still plenty to play for, including a championship, at least in theory.
Thats the crux of it.

A Dream Season just become a potentially "good year".

The special year has been tainted. Mind you its not even really the "loss", but the fact the we looked like garbage and USC isn't that good. I can deal with a loss in a competitive game being fought at a high level, and getting beat straight out. Last night it was a slog for multiple reasons and how the CATS loss, speaks more to my disappointment, than the actual loss itself.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Never thought this year was "special".

Don't know what the pollsters were thinking ranking UA 10th. Did they not watch the Hail Mary in a game the Cats should have lost? Besides the UNLV game, every other win was by a TD or less. The UTSA (2-4) game was a 3 point win for Arizona. Arizona beat Nevada (3-3) by 7.

Great win against the Ducks of course, but UA had an advantage playing them since they practice against the spread.